The True Dharma is One. However, religions are many.
The true Dharma is observed at the level of the mind. It’s so because the true One Dharma is the Eternal function or True Nature (Inner Nature) of all beings in relationship with “Sach” (Truth, Mool…). To the contrary, all religions are man-made, and mostly observed at the level of the physical body (Karamkaand or rituals, etc.).
- ਏਕੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੋਈ ॥: If some one grasps this – there is but one Dharma of Truth. (sggs 1188).
- ਬੋਲੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲੀਐ ॥: Speak the “Sachu” Dharma (i.e. to speak Truth is Dharma), and do not speak falsehood (sggs 488).
- ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ ॥: Of all Dharma, the best Dharma (Nirmal) is Naam Jap (understanding of the Shabad, Naam, Hukam…); (this is the) Pure Karma (ਕੰਮ, ਆਚਰਨ, deed…). (sggs 266).
Sikhs (learners of the GIANN of the SGGS or Gurmat, ਸਿਖਿਆਰਥੀ…) are supposed to follow the One Dharma of “Sach” (Truth) — Dharma of GIAAN (the Divine Wisdom, spiritual Knowledge of the SGGS). In fact, Giaan (Divine Wisdom, Spiritual Knowledge, Bibek…) is called Dharma and Gur(u) in the SGGS. Hence, the SGGS asks us to build a fence of this Dharma around!
- ਕਬੀਰਾ ਜਹਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਹ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਹਾ ਝੂਠੁ ਤਹ ਪਾਪੁ ॥: O Kabeer! (Within a person, if) there is Giaan (Spiritual Wisdom, Divine Knowledge, Aatm–Giaan…) there is Dharma; (if within him) there is falsehood, there is sin (corrupt thinking). (sggs 1372).
One of the things common amongst man-made religions is their respective Pujaare system — greedy, corrupt, immoral, wicked, and crafty Pujaaree Group (Pujaaree-Vaad, Bipar-Vaad, Pakhand-Vaad, priest group) and their empty Karamkaand (rituals)!
Accordingly, there is the crafty Hindu Pujaaree Group, crafty Muslim Pujaaree Group, crafty Christian Pujaaree Group, etc. Also, there is the crafty Pujaaree Group (ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾ) in Sikhi as well!
For the betterment of the human society, all Gur Sahibaan and Bhagat tried their best to break the corrupt and stagnant Pujaaree systems of Hindu and Muslims. They knew that without breaking these corrupt Pujaaree systems, people cannot be steered away from the lifestyle of “Bhangaar” they propagate.
Understandably, the SGGS breaks the corrupt Pujaaree system. However, what has taken place in reality is totally to the contrary — the crafty Pujaaree-Vaad in Sikhi has broken the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS)! They have turned it into a mundane business (ਧੰਧਾ)!
- ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਨਿਹਫਲੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥: Involved in worldly affairs (Mayaic or Manmukh lifestyle), wastes his life in vain and does not enshrine the Bliss giving Divine in the mind (sggs 644).
- ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਪਸੂ ਕੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਜਾਤਿ ॥: They (those in love with Maya, etc.) belong to the human species, but they act like animals (sggs 267).
Jhooth (falsehood, untruth – Maya) cannot propagate Sach (Truth). The corrupt Pujaaree system has reduced the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS) to a mundane religion, mere Karamkaand (rituals), Golak, Akhand Paath, pilgrimage (Teerath Yaatraa), bathing in ponds at shrines, etc.
This crafty Sikh Pujaaree Group has totally bypassed the GIAAN of the SGGS, just as the crafty Hindu Pujaaree Group bypassed the GIAAN of Veda and misled people on the path of untruth. Similarly, people involved in ignorance are also being led astray in all other religions
- ਪਾਹਨ ਬੋਰੀ ਪਿਰਥਮੀ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪਾੜੀ ਬਾਟ ॥੧੩੭॥: The stone (idols) have drowned the world; Pandits split (or misled the world) from the Way (of Bhagti, and led the world on the path of Maya, Karamkaand, etc). ||137|| (sggs 1371).
Let’s consider a few examples to take a look at the “Kartoot” (conduct…) of the corrupt Sikh Pujaaree Group (Raagees, Bhais, Kathaakaar, preachers, Deraavaad, Sant-Vaad, Baabaa-Vaad, Saadh-Vaad, etc.).
They encourage people to go on pilgrimage (Teerath Yaatraa). However, they have totally vanished the Teerath of Aaatam within, the Teerath of the Divine within, the Teerath of the Naam (GIAAN, Divine Wisdom) within, the Teerath the Shabad-Vichaar within, and so on.
- ਤੀਰਥੁ ਹਮਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ॥: The Hari Naam is my Teerath. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 1142).
- ਤੀਰਥੁ ਸਬਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਹੈ ॥: To Reflect on the Shabad (Shabad-Vichaar…) is the Teerath (because of this) Spiritual Wisdom arises within (sggs 687).
- ਸਚੁ ਤਾਂ ਪਰੁ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਆਤਮ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਵਾਸੁ ॥: One knows the Truth (ਅਸਲੇ ਦੀ ਸਮਝ) only when he dwells in the sacred shrine of pilgrimage of his own Soul within (sggs 468).
Like any other Pujaaree Group, the Sikh Pujaaree Group wants people to pay them dearly so they can perform Akhand Paaths, etc., on their behalf. The fact is that this sort of reading (Akhand Paath, Nitnem...) is totally contrary to the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS). The Gurbani is not meant to be merely robotically read, listened, or memorized. After reading, listening, or memorizing it is meant to be Understood through the diligent Shabad-Vichaar and then applied to the daily life (i.e., live it-ਅਮਲ). Otherwise, such exercise is empty (ਖਾਲੀ) akin to “ladles” (ਕੜਛੀਆ)!
- ਪੜਿਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਬੁਝਿਐ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥:Not by reading (books), but through Understanding, is the Mystery Realized. (sggs 148).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਪਸੂ ਭਏ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥੬॥: Without understanding, people become beast (-nature) and demon ||6|| (sggs 224).
On account of their stubbornness, this crafty and empty-minded Pujaaree Group emphasizes on externally looking religious or Mahatmaa! This is totally contrary to the teaching of the SGGS. Baabaa Nanak clearly states outer garments mean nothing when inside is empty of GIAAN – spiritual Knowledge. Again, listen to what the SGGS has to say in this context:
- ਬਹੁ ਭੇਖ ਕੀਆ ਦੇਹੀ ਦੁਖੁ ਦੀਆ ॥ The more one wears religious robes, the more pain he causes his body. (sggs 467).
- ਭੇਖੁ ਭਵਨੀ ਹਠੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸਚੁ ਗਹਿ ਰਹੇ ॥੧॥: I know nothing about religious robes, pilgrimages or stubbornness; O Nanak, I only hold tight to the Truth ||1|| (sggs 843).
The corrupt Pjaaree-Vaad promotes hooliganism (ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਗੁੰਡਾ ਗਰਦੀ, ਠੱਗੀ) just as the corrupt politicians do. They (Deraa-Vaad Baabaa or Sant and their gun-toting goons, etc.) roam around with loaded guns! In fact, we can see this hooliganism playing out in the society. Listen to what the SGGS has to say in this context:
- ਛੁਰੀ ਕਾਢਿ ਲੇਵੈ ਹਥਿ ਦਾਨਾ ॥੨॥: (The Pujaaree) pulls out knife, and demands donations. ||2|| (sggs 201).
List of their “Kartoot” (conduct…) goes on and on:
- They will do anything to preserve their lifestyle of FREELOADERS (who exploit people to get free stuff …).
- They neglect dissemination of the Gurbani in its true perspective.
- They want to make sure people don’t get to understand the Truth or GIAAN of the SGGS.
- They distort or misinterpret the Gurbani’s Truth to fit their own sordid ends.
- Their Parchaar of the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS) is adulterated (ਖੋਟਾ, counterfeit, false, faulty, defective, etc.).
- They tell fake or mind-concocted stories (ਮੰਨ-ਘੜੰਤ ਸਾਖੀਆਂ).
- They promote empty rituals that have no place in Gurmat.
- They create divisions. Instead of uniting people, Pujaaree-Vaad divides them.
- They promote blind superstitions for controlling and swindling simpletons.
- They become an instrument in the hands of debased leaders and corrupt politicians in their scheme to oppress and exploit masses, robbing people of their real Spiritual Unfoldment, etc.
- They promote worshiping SGGS as an idol, which is totally contrary to the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS).
- For the sake of pleasing hosts and securing return business, they perform Mayaic Ardaas (prayers, ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀਆਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਾਂ), which are totally contrary to the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS).
- They practice and promoting Jaat Paat – caste system.
- They promote hooliganism, corruption, falsehood, fraud.
- Instead of disseminating and promoting the pure GIANN of the SGGS, they manufacture and promote their own Maryada, dogmas and complex and antagonistic adherent as it fits their business (ਧੰਧਾ)
Clearly, the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad wants to make sure that the GIAAN of the SGGS does not get close to people! Why? Because, if it does, it will perform spiritual surgery on people’s doubt-ridden minds and free them from the fraud of the Pujaaree system. In other words, the crafty Pujaaree system wants people to remain tied to useless rituals (Karamkaand). For example, the SGGS tells us that merely being in the physical presence of the SGGS is NOT enough — nothing can be achieved by merely bowing the head (Mathaa Tekanaa -ਮੱਥਾ ਟੇਕਣਾਂ) if the mind remains bent on falsehood, malice, crookedness, fraud, etc. Here is the Gurbani’s edict (ਫੈਸਲਾ):
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੋ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਜੇਤਾ ਜਗਤੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥: Everybody in this the world beholds the Satigur. (One is) not liberated by merely seeing (the Satigur), unless the Shabad is Reflected upon (sggs 594).
- ਅਪਰਾਧੀ ਦੂਣਾ ਨਿਵੈ ਜੋ ਹੰਤਾ ਮਿਰਗਾਹਿ ॥ ਸੀਸਿ ਨਿਵਾਇਐ ਕਿਆ ਥੀਐ ਜਾ ਰਿਦੈ ਕੁਸੁਧੇ ਜਾਹਿ ॥੧॥: The sinner (i.e., one who does not live in harmony with Hukam or the Divine Wisdom) bows double like the deer hunter (who bows double as much while aiming at the deer). What can be achieved by merely bowing the head, when the heart remains resorted to falsehood (i.e., nothing is achieved!)? ||1|| (sggs 470).
For example, look at the crowd at Harmandir Sahib (a.k.a. golden temple) — people go through a door, merely bow down, and out through the other door. This is not the “Darshan” the SGGS talks about. The “Darshan” the SGGS talks about is the “Darshan” of the GIAAN through Inner eyes of the Vichaar. It’s the mind that has to do this “Darshan”. But the corrupt Pujaaree system has led people on to the path of “Bharam” (doubt, deception, error, confusion, misapprehension, etc.). The problem is they have hidden the GIAAN of the SGGS (Gurmat) in the designer’s Rumala and Chandoa, Golak, gold…!
- ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲਾ ਸਭਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਗਹੈ ॥: Deluded by doubt (he) visits all Teerath (external shrines of pilgrimage). (sggs 1142).
- ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਲੋਚੈ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਸਨ ॥: My mind longs for the Darshan of the Gur (-GIAAN). (sggs 96).
- ਮਨ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਚਾਲ ਚਲਾਵੈਗੋ ॥: O mind! Walk on the Way of the Gumat (sggs 1310).
Understandably, the SGGS boldly discards the greedy and crafty Pujaaree-Group, and speaks against their “kartoot” (conduct, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣੇ ਦੀਆਂ ਕਰਤੂਤਾਂ ਦੇ ਖਿਲਾਫ ਬੋਲਦੀ ਹੈ).
The SGGS Guides people and take them on the Way of Dharma, while the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad misguides people, cripple their minds, divides them and thus steer them on the path of Bharam (doubt, deception, error, confusion, misapprehension, etc.), destruction and hooliganism.
In nutshell, the purpose and aim of the SGGS is to bring about a revolution in the individual’s character and vision by integrating his mind and educating his intellect. To that end, the SGGS roars the following declaration: Abandon the crafty Pujaaree-Group. Here is the SGGS’s bold challenge to all of us:
- ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥੩॥: Whatever the Pandit and the Mullaan have written (the path of Karamkaand, Shariyat…), I have abandoned (all of that); I have not taken any of it ||3||. (sggs 1159).
- ਹਮਰਾ ਝਗਰਾ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਕੋਊ ॥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਛਾਡੇ ਦੋਊ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (Now) I have no quarrel with anyone anymore; because I have abandoned both the Pandit and the Mullaan (ਦੋਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਦੱਸੇ ਰਸਤੇ ਨਾਲ ਮੇਰਾ ਕੋਈ ਵਾਸਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ – the path of Karamkaand, Shariyat…). |1|| Pause || (sggs 1158).
The Pujaaree Group is very old; hence very corrupt! Since the Pujaaree-Vaad is spiritually ignorant, it is cruel, divisive, and destructive by nature. The fact is: Falsehood cannot propagate Truth.
However, the crafty Pujaaree-Vaad does not like to listen, understand, or live the Truth of the SGGS — the Truth or GIAAN just burns theme!
- ਜੇ ਕੋ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੂੜਾ ਜਲਿ ਜਾਵਈ ॥: If someone speaks the Truth, the false (one) is burnt (irritated). (sggs 646).
- ਜਿਨਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕੂੜੁ ਵਰਤੈ ਸਚੁ ਨ ਭਾਵਈ ॥: Truth does not suit those who are permeated by falsehood (sggs 646).
Hence, until this corrupt and stagnant Pujaaree system is totally dismantled (as commanded by the SGGS) with steady resolve and courage, there can never be peace and goodness in the society — until then, this earth will never become Sachkhand!