“Pujaaree” is a Soch (thinking), which encompasses NOT ONLY Brahmins, but the Pujaaree groups of each and every organized religion, including Sikhs!
The Pujaaree group of each religion may have a peculiar robes or appearance, but their Soch (thinking) is the same — exploit people by enslaving their thinking, keeping them ignorant, wandering, misguided (ਗੁਮਰਾਹ), fearful, superstitious, doubt-ridden (ਵਹਮ-ਭਰਮ, false notions), foolish, tangled in meaningless rituals or Karamkaand, mentally blind, hating and killing each other, etc.
Thus, the crafty Pujaaree system has been defrauding people for long by plundering them and selling them the fake or counterfeit Dharma and god (ਨਕਲੀ ਧਰਮ, ਨਕਲੀ ਰੱਬ), for the sake of bread (ਅਪਣੀ ਰੋਜੀ-ਰੋਟੀ, ਧੰਧਾ ਜਾਂ ਦੁਕਾਨਦਾਰੀ ਚਲਾਣ ਲਈ)!
The Gurbani urges us rejecting and dismantling this corrupt and the self-serving Pujaaree system.
Since the Divine is One, the true Dharma is also One. However, the man-made religions are many.
The true Dharma is observed at the level of the mind. It’s so because the true One Dharma is the Eternal function or True Nature (Inner Nature) of all beings in relationship with “Sach” (Truth, Mool…). To the contrary, all religions are man-made, and mostly observed at the level of the physical body (Karamkaand or rituals, etc.).
- ਬੋਲੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲੀਐ ॥: Speak the “Sachu” Dharma (i.e. to speak Truth is Dharma), and do not speak falsehood (sggs 488).
Sikhs (learners of the GIAAN or Wisdom of the SGGS or Gurmat, ਸਿਖਿਆਰਥੀ…) are supposed to follow the One Dharma of “Sach” (Truth) — Dharma of GIAAN (the Divine Wisdom, spiritual Knowledge of the SGGS). In fact, Giaan (Divine Wisdom, Spiritual Knowledge, Bibek…) is called Dharma and Gur(u) in the SGGS. Hence, the SGGS asks us to build a fence of this Dharma around!
- ਕਬੀਰਾ ਜਹਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਹ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਹਾ ਝੂਠੁ ਤਹ ਪਾਪੁ ॥: O Kabeer! (Within a person, if) there is Giaan (Spiritual Wisdom, Divine Knowledge, Aatm–Giaan…) there is Dharma; (if within him) there is falsehood, there is sin (corrupt thinking). (sggs 1372).
One of the things common among man-made religions is their respective Pujaare system — greedy, corrupt, immoral, wicked, and crafty Pujaaree Group (Pujaaree-Vaad, Bipar-Vaad, Pakhand-Vaad, priest group) and their empty Karamkaand (rituals)!
Accordingly, there is the crafty Hindu Pujaaree Group, crafty Muslim Pujaaree Group, crafty Christian Pujaaree Group, etc. Also, there is the crafty Pujaaree Group (ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾ) in Sikhi as well!
For the betterment of the human society, all Gur Sahibaan and Bhagat tried their best to break the corrupt and stagnant Pujaaree systems of Hindu and Muslims. They knew that without breaking these corrupt Pujaaree systems, people cannot be steered away from the lifestyle of “Bhangaar” they propagate.
Understandably, the SGGS breaks the corrupt Pujaaree system. However, what has taken place in reality is totally to the contrary — the crafty Pujaaree-Vaad in Sikhi has broken the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS)! They have turned it into a mundane business (ਧੰਧਾ)!
- ਧੰਧਾ ਕਰਤਿਆ ਨਿਹਫਲੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਵਸਾਇਆ ॥: Involved in worldly affairs (Mayaic or Manmukh lifestyle), wastes his life in vain and does not enshrine the Bliss giving Divine in the mind (sggs 644).
Jhooth (falsehood, untruth – Maya) cannot propagate Sach (Truth). The corrupt Pujaaree system has reduced the Gurmat (the Way of life based on the pure GIAAN of the SGGS) to a mundane religion, mere Karamkaand (rituals), Golak, Akhand Paath, pilgrimage (Teerath Yaatraa), bathing in ponds at shrines, etc.
This crafty Sikh Pujaaree Group has totally bypassed the GIAAN of the SGGS, just as the crafty Hindu Pujaaree Group bypassed the GIAAN of Veda and misled people on the path of untruth. Similarly, people involved in ignorance are also being led astray in all other religions
- ਪਾਹਨ ਬੋਰੀ ਪਿਰਥਮੀ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਪਾੜੀ ਬਾਟ ॥੧੩੭॥: The stone (idols) have drowned the world; Pandits split (or misled the world) from the Way (of Bhagti, and led the world on the path of Maya, Karamkaand, etc). ||137|| (sggs 1371).
Let’s consider a few examples to take a look at the “Kartoot” (conduct…) of the corrupt Sikh Pujaaree Group (Raagees, Bhais, Kathaakaar, preachers, Deraavaad, Sant-Vaad, Baabaa-Vaad, Saadh-Vaad, etc.).
They encourage people to go on pilgrimage (Teerath Yaatraa). However, they have totally vanished the Teerath of Aaatam within, the Teerath of the Divine within, the Teerath of the Naam (GIAAN, Divine Wisdom) within, the Teerath the Shabad-Vichaar within, and so on.
- ਤੀਰਥੁ ਸਬਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਹੈ ॥: To Reflect on the Shabad (Shabad-Vichaar…) is the Teerath (because of this) Spiritual Wisdom arises within (sggs 687).
Like any other Pujaaree Group, the Sikh Pujaaree Group wants people to pay them dearly so they can perform Akhand Paaths, etc., on their behalf. The fact is that this sort of reading (Akhand Paath, Nitnem...) is totally contrary to the Gurmat (Wisdom, Upadesh or Way of the SGGS). The Gurbani is not meant to be merely robotically read, listened, or memorized. After reading, listening, or memorizing it is meant to be Understood through the diligent Shabad-Vichaar and then applied to the daily life (i.e., live it-ਅਮਲ). Otherwise, such exercise is empty (ਖਾਲੀ) akin to “ladles” (ਕੜਛੀਆ)!
- ਪੜਿਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਬੁਝਿਐ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥:Not by reading (books), but through Understanding, is the Mystery Realized. (sggs 148).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਪਸੂ ਭਏ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥੬॥: Without understanding, people become beast (-nature) and demon ||6|| (sggs 224).
On account of their stubbornness, this crafty and empty-minded Pujaaree Group emphasizes on externally looking religious or Mahatmaa! This is totally contrary to the teaching of the SGGS. Baabaa Nanak clearly states outer garments mean nothing when inside is empty of GIAAN – spiritual Knowledge. Again, listen to what the SGGS has to say in this context:
- ਭੇਖੁ ਭਵਨੀ ਹਠੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸਚੁ ਗਹਿ ਰਹੇ ॥੧॥: I know nothing about religious robes, pilgrimages or stubbornness; O Nanak, I only hold tight to the Truth ||1|| (sggs 843).
The corrupt Pjaaree-Vaad promotes hooliganism (ਧਾਰਮਿਕ ਗੁੰਡਾ ਗਰਦੀ, ਠੱਗੀ) just as the corrupt politicians do. They (Deraa-Vaad Baabaa or Sant and their gun-toting goons, etc.) roam around with loaded guns! In fact, we can see this hooliganism playing out in the society. Listen to what the SGGS has to say in this context:
- ਛੁਰੀ ਕਾਢਿ ਲੇਵੈ ਹਥਿ ਦਾਨਾ ॥੨॥: (The Pujaaree) pulls out knife, and demands donations. ||2|| (sggs 201).
List of their “Kartoot” (conduct…) goes on and on:
- They will do anything to preserve a lifestyle of FREELOADERS (ਵੇਲੜ ਲਾਣਾਂ, ਮੰਗਖਾਣੇ – who exploit people for free stuff …).
- they promote body-worship (ਦੇਹੀ ਦੀ ਪੂਜਾ) instead of Giaan of the SGGS.
- They don’t dissemination the Gurbani in its true perspective.
- They want to make sure people don’t get true understanding or Giaan of the SGGS.
- They distort or misinterpret the Gurbani’s Truth to fit their own sordid ends.
- Their Parchaar of the Gurmat is adulterated (ਖੋਟਾ, counterfeit, defective, etc.).
- Instead of promoting Gur-Giaan, they promote their own Maryada, dogmas and complex and antagonistic adherents as it fit their business (ਧੰਧਾ, Golak).
- They tell fake or mind-concocted stories (ਮੰਨ-ਘੜੰਤ ਸਾਖੀਆਂ).
- They promote empty rituals that have no place in Gurmat.
- Instead of uniting people, Pujaaree-Vaad divides them.
- They promote blind superstitions for controlling and swindling simpletons.
- They become an instrument in the hands of debased leaders and corrupt politicians to oppress and exploit masses, robbing people of real Spiritual Unfoldment, etc.
- They promote worshiping SGGS as an idol, which is totally contrary to the Gurmat.
- For the sake of pleasing hosts and securing return business, they perform Mayaic Ardaas (prayers, ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀਆਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਾਂ), which are totally contrary to the Gurmat.
- They practice and promoting Jaat Paat – caste system in Gurdwaras and society.
- They promote hooliganism, corruption, falsehood, fraud.
Clearly, the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad wants to make sure that the GIAAN of the SGGS does not get close to people! Why? Because, if it does, it will perform spiritual surgery on people’s doubt-ridden minds and free them from the fraud of the Pujaaree system. In other words, the crafty Pujaaree system wants people to remain tied to useless rituals (Karamkaand). For example, the SGGS tells us that merely being in the physical presence of the SGGS is NOT enough — nothing can be achieved by merely bowing the head (Mathaa Tekanaa -ਮੱਥਾ ਟੇਕਣਾਂ) if the mind remains bent on falsehood, malice, crookedness, fraud, etc. Here is the Gurbani’s edict (ਫੈਸਲਾ):
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੋ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਵੇਖਦਾ ਜੇਤਾ ਜਗਤੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥: Everybody in this the world beholds the Satigur. (One is) not liberated by merely seeing (the Satigur), unless the Shabad is Reflected upon (sggs 594).
For example, look at the crowd at Harmandir Sahib (a.k.a. golden temple) — people go through a door, merely bow down, and out through the other door. This is not the “Darshan” the SGGS talks about. The “Darshan” the SGGS talks about is the “Darshan” of the GIAAN through Inner eyes of the Vichaar. It’s the mind that has to do this “Darshan”. But the corrupt Pujaaree system has led people on to the path of “Bharam” (doubt, deception, error, confusion, misapprehension, etc.). The problem is they have hidden the GIAAN of the SGGS (Gurmat) in the designer’s Rumala and Chandoa, Golak, gold…!
- ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲਾ ਸਭਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਗਹੈ ॥: Deluded by doubt (he) visits all Teerath (external shrines of pilgrimage). (sggs 1142).
Understandably, the SGGS boldly discards the greedy and crafty Pujaaree-Group, and speaks against their “kartoot” (conduct, ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣੇ ਦੀਆਂ ਕਰਤੂਤਾਂ ਦੇ ਖਿਲਾਫ ਬੋਲਦੀ ਹੈ).
- ਅਲਹੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਮੁਲਖੁ ਕਿਸੁ ਕੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਦੁਹ ਮਹਿ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਹੇਰਾ ॥: (Muslims think) Allah lives only in the mosque; then to whom does the rest of the world belong? Hindus think idol is the abode of the Divine (or the Divine) Naam; there is no truth (ਅਸਲੀਅਤ) in these claims (of both Hindus and Muslims). (sggs 1349).
- ਕਹੁ ਰੇ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਬ ਕੇ ਹੋਏ ॥ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਮਤ ਖੋਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜੌ ਤੂੰ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੀ ਜਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਉ ਆਨ ਬਾਟ ਕਾਹੇ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥੨॥: In the womb, no lineage and caste is known. (One) Brahm is the Source of all ||1|| (Kabeer Sahib questions) since when have you been a Brahmin? Don’t waste your life by continually claiming to be a Brahmin. ||1||Pause|| If you are indeed a Brahmin, born of a Brahmin mother, then why didn’t you come by some other way? ||2|| (sggs 324).
- ਹਿੰਦੂ ਅੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਤੁਰਕੂ ਕਾਣਾ ॥ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਿਆਣਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਪੂਜੈ ਦੇਹੁਰਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ॥ ਨਾਮੇ ਸੋਈ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਜਹ ਦੇਹੁਰਾ ਨ ਮਸੀਤਿ ॥੪॥੩॥੭॥: The Hindu is blind (mentally blind, spiritually unintelligent, etc., who has made-up phony stories and claims God is limited only to the temple…) and the Muslim is one-eyed (i.e., who has some intelligence – but claims Allah is limited only to the mosque, etc.). The Giani (the knower of Truth…) is wiser than both of them. (Due to lack or limited vision) the Hindu worships the temple and the Muslim worships the mosque. Naam Dev Says: I serve that (Divine), who is neither limited to the temple nor the mosque ||4||3||7|| (sggs 875).
- ਕਾਦੀ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਮਲੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ॥ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥ ਤੀਨੇ ਓਜਾੜੇ ਕਾ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੨॥: Telling lies, the Qazi eats filth (of taking what pertains to others, bribe, corruption…). The Brahmin kills (inflicts pain to people by misguiding them: ਆਤਮ-ਘਾਤੀ..), and then takes (cleansing, ਤੀਰਥ-ਇਸਨਾਨ) baths. The Yogi is (mentally or spiritually) blind, and does not know the way (of life). These three are the cause of destruction (of the society, people, spiritual life…). ||2||(sggs 662).
Hence, “Pujaaree” is a Soch (thinking), which encompasses NOT ONLY Brahmins, but the Pujaaree systems of each and every religion, including Sikhs!!!!!!
The SGGS throws punches on this corrupt Pujaaree system.
The SGGS Guides people and take them on the Way of Dharma, while the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad misguides people, cripple their minds, divides them and thus steer them on the path of Bharam (doubt, deception, error, confusion, misapprehension, etc.), destruction and hooliganism.
In nutshell, the purpose and aim of the SGGS is to bring about a revolution in the individual’s character and vision by integrating his mind and educating his intellect. To that end, the SGGS roars the following declaration: Abandon the crafty Pujaaree-Group. Here is the SGGS’s bold challenge to all of us:
- ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥੩॥: Whatever the Pandit and the Mullaan have written (the path of Karamkaand, Shariyat…), I have abandoned (all of that); I have not taken any of it ||3||. (sggs 1159).
- ਹਮਰਾ ਝਗਰਾ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਕੋਊ ॥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਛਾਡੇ ਦੋਊ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (Now) I have no quarrel with anyone anymore; because I have abandoned both the Pandit and the Mullaan (ਦੋਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਦੱਸੇ ਰਸਤੇ ਨਾਲ ਮੇਰਾ ਕੋਈ ਵਾਸਤਾ ਨਹੀਂ – the path of Karamkaand, Shariyat…). |1|| Pause || (sggs 1158).
- ਵਰਤ ਨ ਰਹਉ ਨ ਮਹ ਰਮਦਾਨਾ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵੀ ਜੋ ਰਖੈ ਨਿਦਾਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਏਕੁ ਗੁਸਾਈ ਅਲਹੁ ਮੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹਾਂ ਨੇਬੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਹਜ ਕਾਬੈ ਜਾਉ ਨ ਤੀਰਥ ਪੂਜਾ ॥ ਏਕੋ ਸੇਵੀ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੨॥ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ ॥ ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ ॥੩॥ ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਨ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ॥ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਇਹੁ ਕੀਆ ਵਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪੀਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਖੁਦਿ ਖਸਮੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੫॥੩॥: I do not keep (Hindu) fasts, nor do I observe the (muslim fasting) month of Ramadaan. I serve That (One), who will save me in the end. ||1||. My Gusaaee (Universal Energy…) and Allah is One. (This I have already) settled (concluded, finished, ਫੈਸਲਾ…) with both Hindus and Muslims (that I don’t follow whatever they have written: their explanations, commentaries, customs, injunctions, etc.). |1|| Pause || I do not make pilgrimages to Mecca, nor do I worship at Hindu shrines. I serve the One Formless, and not any other ||2||. I do not perform worship services (prescribed by Brahmins), nor do I offer the Muslim prayers-Nimaaz. I have taken the One Formless into my Heart; I humbly worship Him within ||3||. I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim. My body and breath of life belong to (whom Muslims call) Allah and to (whom Hindus call) Raam ||4|| Says Kabeer! This is what I say: Meeting Gur (i.e., Giaan, Spiritual Knowledge or Wisdom…), I realize Truth. ||5||3|| (sggs 1136).
The Pujaaree Group is very old; hence very corrupt! Since the Pujaaree-Vaad is spiritually ignorant, it is cruel, divisive, and destructive by nature. The fact is: Falsehood cannot propagate Truth. Hence Kabeer Sahib tells the Pujaaree of all organized religions:
- ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਰਾਮ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਉ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੋਊ ਸਮਝਾਵਉ ॥: Says Kabeer! (I) teach both Hindus and Muslims — live by the Divine Virtues (sggs 478).
- ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਲੇ ਅਸਵਾਰਾ ॥ ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਤੇ ਰਹਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਰਾ ॥੩॥੩੧॥: Says Kabeer! Those are the best riders (who ride the horse of their mind), who remain aloof ( apart, free…) from the Vedas and Kateb (i.e., Koran, Bible, etc.). ||3||31|| (sggs 329).
However, the crafty Pujaaree-Vaad does not like to listen, understand, or live the Truth of the SGGS — the Truth or GIAAN just burns them!
- ਜੇ ਕੋ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੂੜਾ ਜਲਿ ਜਾਵਈ ॥: If someone speaks the Truth, the false (one) is burnt (irritated). (sggs 646).
Hence, until this corrupt and stagnant Pujaaree system is totally dismantled (as commanded by the SGGS) with steady resolve and courage, there can never be peace and goodness in the society — until then, this earth will never become Sachkhand!
The Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) frees the entire humanity from the slavery of the fraudulent Pujaaree system!
- ਮਾਇਆ ਡਰ ਡਰਪਤ ਹਾਰ ਗੁਰਦੁਅਰੈ ਜਾਵੈ ਤਹਾ ਜਉ ਮਾਇਆ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਕਹਾ ਠਹਰਾਈਐ ॥੫੪੪॥: Weary of the dread and dragon-net of Maya, if one goes to the Gurdwara, and if Maya penetrates there too, then where would one go to Rest or Escape (i.e., to stop or outlast Maya’s onslaught…). (Kabit Bhai Gurdas Ji, 544).