1. About Site
Due to greed, craftiness, corruption, lack of knowledge or understanding of the Gurbani etc., although we quote Shabads from the Gurbani, but instead of definitions given in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS), we use definition from others, from outside of the SGGS, from texts of other organized religions (Mazhab) etc.
Consequently, the majority of us are often confused, spiritually false, having immature understanding etc. about the true gist or deeper meanings and Message of the Gurbani.
- ਬਾਣੀ ਤ ਕਚੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਕਹਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਸੁਣਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਕਚੀ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੀ ॥: Bani that is contrary to the Satiguru (true Wisdom-ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ) is crude (i.e. raw, make-believe, concoction, creates confusion, breakable, transient, imperfect, not worth relying upon etc.). (If such raw Bani takes the mind away from the One – ੴ) then know that minds of those who listen to such Bani that go against the Gurmat have become crude ( i.e. confused, spiritually false, Bikaar-ridden etc.), and those who read and interpret such Bani that go against the Gurmat have become crude. (sggs 920).
- ਇਕਾ ਬਾਣੀ ਇਕੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਇਕੋ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥: One Bani alone is authentic Guru; (so just consider or) reflect on One Shabad. (sggs 646).
Since it’s easy to enslave, manipulate and exploit the greedy, fearful and confused mind, the self-serving Pujaaree-Vaad wants people to remain confused and ignorant of the true meanings of the Gurbani! This way nobody will be able to question them!
‘Gurbani is understood from the Gurbani itself’
- ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਜਾਤੀ ਜਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਰਤੇ ਰੰਗੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਪਵਿਤੁ ਪਾਵਨ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹਰਿ ਕੈ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੮॥: The Gurbani is understood from the Gurbani itself by those who with love remain imbued with the Gur-Shabad (Vichaar, Upadesh, Naam, Giaan or Wisdom…). Such people are of clean conduct and pure consciousness for they live by Naam (Wisdom, Virtues, Hukam...). ||8|| (sggs 1346).
- ਮੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੇਤੀ ਪਿਰਹੜੀ ਕਿਉ ਗੁਰ ਬਿਨੁ ਜੀਵਾ ਮਾਉ ॥ ਮੈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਆਧਾਰੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਲਾਗਿ ਰਹਾਉ ॥੮॥: I have deep love for the ‘Satigur‘ (True Wisdom-ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ), O my mother how can I live without Gur (Giaan-Wisdom). The Gurbani (i.e. the Gurbani’s Wisdom) is my life-support. I can live only by joining in the Gurbani (i.e. to live with the Gur-Wisdom as a life-support is to live in Association with the One Rabb, Hukam, god, Universal Energy…). ||8|| (sggs 759).
- ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥: (Guru’s) Bani is the Guru (of Sikhs i.e. Shabad-Guru or Wisdom or Giaan-Guru) and the Guru is present (as Giaan or Wisdom) in the Bani. The Amrit (of the Guru’s Giaan or Wisdom…) is contained in the whole of Bani. (sggs 982).
Our small effort (ਛੋਟਾ ਜਿਹਾ ਉਪਰਾਲਾ) at this website is to gain deeper understanding, clarity and Joy by understanding the true Way of the SGGS directly from the Gurbani, NOT from the illiterate and corrupt Pujaaree system.
To put it otherwise, the attempt here is self-improvement by removing to some extent superstitions, SGGS or Gurmat‘s misunderstanding, falsehood, confusions, blind faith (ਅੰਧ ਵਿਸਵਾਸ਼), doubts, rituals or Karamkaand (formalities) etc. which have been propagated by the crafty and illiterate Pujaaree groups.
For more discussion on Pujaaree-Vaad and Gurmat, see our following posts:
- Sikhi of the Pujaaree-Vaad.
- SGGS Teaches To Reject and Dismantle the Corrupt Pujaaree System
- Pujaaree System Wants People Remain Ignorant, Fearful, Ritualistic…
Shabad-Vichaar is the Guru’s true Sevaa (Service)
Also, the SGGS affirms: (1) Bibek or Giaan (Wisdom) is the Guru, (2) it’s the consciousness (Surat-ਸੁਰਤ) or the mind (Soch-ਸੋਚ) that needs to become a Sikh (a learner-ਸਿਖਿਆਰਥੀ) of the Wisdom of the Shabad-Guru).
For more discussion, see our post titled ‘Who is the True Guru in Sikhi?‘!
Fittingly, SGGS gives the utmost importance to Shabad-Vichaar (Reflections On the Gurbani — churning the Gurbani for extracting the Butter of Wisdom…). In turn, this Giaan (Wisdom, or Knowledge) helps one become a good human. In turn, good humans build better society (ਵਧੀਆ ਇਨਸਾਨ ਤੇ ਵਧੀਆ ਸਮਾਜ)!
- ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥: The Gur-Sevaa is Shabad-Vichaar (Reflection on the Shabad — Upadesh, Giaan, Wisdom, Naam…). (sggs 223).
- ਸਭਸੈ ਊਪਰਿ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ॥: Reflection on the Gur-Shabad is above all (other notions, speculations, calculations…). (sggs 904).
Not a commercial website
Since its inception in 1993, we decided to keep this website non-commercial. Because, we have no interest in commercializing the Gurmat Wisdom of SGGS, and using it as a mundane business (‘ਰੋਟੀਆ ਕਾਰਣਿ’, ਧੰਧਾ, ਦੁਕਾਨਦਾਰੀ) as many are doing just that in the guise of Sikhi. Hence:
- This website is not meant to make presentation of corrupt politics, useless rituals (Karamakaand), dogmas, robes, religious paraphernalia, etc., which have no place in the Wisdom of the SGGS.
- Hence, this website is not for those who use the SGGS or Sikhi as a mundane business, or who like their understanding of the SGGS watered down.
- In this context, the majority of the Gurdwaras management committees are no better either — they sweat for money and leadership ONLY (ਪੈਸਾ ਅਤੇ ਚੌਧਰ)! As a result, instead of being the centers of Giaan (Wisdom, enlightenment…), Gurdwaras have become arenas of dirty politics and corruption. Thus, the Pujaaree-Vaad, Gurdawara committee members, and politician are serving each other and making Sikhs fool.
- This website is for those who have become aware that there is more to the Gurmat (Wisdom, Upadesh, Sikhiaa or Way of the SGGS…) than the routine, ritualistic, and robotic reading or hearing of the Gurbani from the illiterate and crafty Pujaaree groups.
2. About author
Retired Engineer in U.S.A, the author (T. Singh) maintains this Gurbani.org website since 1993.
Neither a scholar, nor a philosopher, nor a writer, nor interested in being one the author does not claim to understand fully.
Although author was born in a Sikh family but – according to Gurmat Wisdom of SGGS – to be a True Sikh or Khalsaa ( or a true Muslim, Brahman etc. for that matter) is not a question of family of birth, heredity, ancestry, religion, race, social status, caste (Jaat Paat), education, titles, robes, region, etc., it is a question of mind abiding in its Jot Saroop or Original Nature (Mool) through Shabad-Vichaar or churning the Gurbani! Hence, the ‘Sikh‘ and ‘Khalsa’ words do not represent a physical state, but a unique Way of life based on the Wisdom or Bibek of the SGGS!
- ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਨ ਭਏ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਜਿਹ ਜਾਨੀ ॥: O Kabeer! Those persons become ‘Khaalsae‘ (‘ਖਾਲਸੇ’ ==> pure: inner purity, without adulteration, ਪਵਿੱਤਰ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਾਲਾ, ਸ਼ੁੱਧ, ਬਿਨਾ ਮਿਲਾਵਟ) who have understood the Prem Bhagti (i.e. who are linked with the Hukam, the Gur-Shabad – Wisdom of the Gurbani or ਗੁਰਮਤ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ…). (sggs 655).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਉਲਟੀ ਭਈ ਭਾਈ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰੈ ਤਾ ਬੂਝ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਸੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥: O brother! Submitting to the ‘Satigur’ (True Wisdom, ਸਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ), one understands (true Way of living – ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ), and then turns away (from Bikaar, demerits, falsehood etc.) and remains living dead. O Brother! He is the Guru (Giaan, Bibek, Wisdom…), and he is the Sikh (learner who learns from the Guru) to merge (his individual consciousness or) light in the Universal Light (i.e. Universal Energy, Hukam…). (sggs 602).
‘Why do you write?’
- One may ask: If this is NOT a commercial website, that is, if not for making money then ‘why do you write’? I understand that it would be foolish to say that ‘money is not important’. However, can money and should money be the only reason for doing anything?
- I love Gurbani. To read and understand it is my passion, hobby and interest. Attempting to constantly improve myself with new learning – while reading the Gurbani (SGGS) and reflecting on it – I write it down so that I can remember or refer back to it later.
- Some seekers may find all this of some value; in that spirit I share on this website (‘Vand Shaknaa‘, ‘Shabad Langar‘). Specifically, some readers – who in their opinion think that the author needs correcting and learning – will correct me with different perspective!
Remember that what I don’t know is much greater than what I know!
No guarantee or claim (ਦਾਵਾ) of accuracy or perfection of the interpretation of the Gurbani.
I have shared only what I have understood by reading the SGGS. There may be mistakes in it, I apologize.
That being said, nothing is perfect, including this!
- ਭੁਲਣ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥: Everyone makes mistakes; the ‘Guru Karataar‘ (i.e. Rabb…) is infallible. (sggs 61).
However, if you know how to say the Gurbani’s meaning more clearer or accurate, please enhance our understanding by sharing (‘Vand Shaknaa‘) your thoughts in the comment section of each post.
Note on gender
Finding a pronoun for god isn’t easy. For the ease of writing and reading, this site uses ‘he’. As god or Rabb is infinite and invisible domain, calling god or Rabb He or She is just a human convention. But surely god transcends all gender. Even if I had rotated three different pronouns — he, she, and it — but that would not have gotten any nearer to the truth, and it would have made for very clumsy reading.
Also, the term ‘Man’ is to be understood in its generic sense, including both woman and man, unless the context indicates otherwise.