That being said, Biparvaad is a ‘Soch-ਸੋਚ’ (thinking) which is contrary to the Unique ‘Soch‘ of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS). Hence, a ‘Bipar’ could be any person or persons signified by Brahministic and other obscurantist tendencies. In short, whosoever practices and asks you or teaches you to do ANTI-GURMAT rituals, deeds, Pakhand etc. is a Bipar.
- ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਪਾਖੰਡ ਜੋ ਦੀਸਹਿ ਤਿਨ ਜਮੁ ਜਾਗਾਤੀ ਲੂਟੈ ॥: (Whosoever does not Internalize — practice: ਅਮਲ — the Advice or Message of the Guru’s Shabad) his religious acts are just ‘Pakhand‘ (pretending, hypocrisy, ਦਿਖਾਵਾ); he is plundered by Jum (i.e. vices/Bikaar). (sggs 747).
The Unique ‘Soch‘ of the Gurus and Bhagats did NOT mean at all to regurgitate the then exiting Biparvaad / self-serving Pujaaree-Vaad (clergy…) or their concocted ritualism (Karamkaand), counterfeit gods, outdated or irrelevant or illogical concepts and traditions-Prampraas etc. Therefore, the Gurbani is NOT regurgitation of the pre-1469 concocted messages already in use in India’s religious traditions and teachings.
If the spiritual Message of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) was merely meant to regurgitate the stale of outdated, irrelevant or illogical nonsense that existed in the society before the Gurus then what was the real need of the Gurus and Bhagats spending their lives writing Gurbani? In other words, what was the utter need for the Gurus advancing the Way of Sikhi? Just think about it! Bhai Gurdas Ji confirms:
- ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਿਕਾ ਜਗਤ੍ਰਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਪੰਥ ਚਲਾਇਆ ।: In the world of spirituality, the Panth of Baabaa Nanak has its Trademark in its Uniqueness as being ‘Nirmal‘-uncontaminated (by existing pre-1469 beliefs). (Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar1, Pauree 45).
However, to the contrary, the current self-serving Pujaaree-Vaad extends the Gurmat Wisdom as regurgitations of the pre-1469 outdated and irrelevant concepts prevalent in India’s religious traditions and teachings.
As a result, the pre-1469 concocted concepts that existed before the Gurus and the Bhagats remained intact in most Teekaas (translations of the SGGS) to date. This distortion of the Gurbani/Gurmat/Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak started at the moment Baabaa Nanak refused to wear the sacred thread (Janaeu) and proclaimed his solidarity with downtrodden masses. That said, most of the literature on Sikhi in Punjabi, Hindi, English and other languages is superficial, superfluous, contradictory and outright repudiation of Unique and Revolutionary Gurmat of Baabaa Nanak.
However the Gurbani RE-Defines Brahminical concepts to fit the new paradigm of Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak. For example Rabb (Hari, Prabhu, Allah, etc.), four Yuga, Mantra, cycle of reincarnation, life after death, Ram or Raam, Dharm Raj, Amrit, place of ancestors, Dasam Duar, ablutions and pilgrimage, ponds or Srovar, oil lamp (ਦੀਪਕ), Gur Charan Kamal, Gur Charan Dhoorh, Gur Moorat, Satguru or Guru, divine Naam, the Sootak, Yoga and Yogi, Maya, Brahmin, Bhagti, Pandit, Harmandir, Pandit, Dharma, Sidhi, ghost and goblin, Jap, Poojaa; Maalaa or Rosary, Jotish or horoscope, pilgrimage, Arti (ਆਰਤੀ), fasting, Sannyasa or renunciation, Saadhoo and Sant, Kirtan (ਕੀਰਤਨ), Muslim, Haj and Haajee, Kaabaa, Paap Punn (ਪਾਪ ਪੁੰਨ), Gobind, miracles (Karaamaat), Rahat, Baikunth-Narak or heaven and hell, Teerath, ਦਾਨ (Daan), system of Pujaaree (clergy), meditation, Saetoo (Bridge-ਸੇਤੂ), Mokh or Mukti (salvation), Soul, Parjat (wish fulfilling mythical tree), Kaamdhain (wish fulfilling mythical cow), Jum Doot, Dharma Raj, and Chitr Gupt etc.
In fact, the Gurbani holds the self-serving Pujaaree systems responsible for the destruction of the spiritual lifestyle in the human society — blocking people’s intellect (Budh-ਬੁੱਧ) from developing!
Aptly, the Gurbani urges us to reject and discard the Pujaaree system.
- ਹਮਰਾ ਝਗਰਾ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਕੋਊ ॥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਛਾਡੇ ਦੋਊ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (Bhagat Kabeer Ji says) I have no conflict in my mind whatsoever — no struggle within me anymore. (I have achieved this state because) I have discarded all the claims of the clergy (Pujaaree). |1|| Pause || (sggs 1158).
But these truths of the Gurbani should be known only to those who read the SGGS themselves and thus have some understanding of the Gurbani. Otherwise, only ‘Biparvaad’ or ‘Manmat’ (ਮਨਮਤ-mind’s will or concoctions) are considered as Gurmat by everyone!
Complete Uniqueness and Newness in the Gurbani
‘Pramparaa-ਪਰੰਪਰਾ’ (orders, rules, traditions etc.) are guidelines that help groups, organizations and society to function smoothly. They are crafted at a particular time under certain circumstances for a particular need. With differing situations, and the passage of time, ‘Pramparaa‘ too must be interpreted and implemented wisely and if necessary changed.
Individuals who challenge an institution require great courage of conviction and character to change what is irrelevant and often outdated. Few amongst humans possess this great quality.
Our all Gurus and all Bhagats possessed this great quality to change what was irrelevant and outdated; and which did not stand up to commonsense, logic, practicality etc. (ਬਿਬੇਕ, ਤਰਕ…). Hence, there is a total and complete Uniqueness and Newness in the Gurbani! Furthermore, the Gurbani has very distinct goals.
Its subject matter and distinct goals are meant to revolutionize humankind’s spiritual quest, NOT to regurgitate existing Karamkaand, phony religious beliefs, or the corrupt conduct and practices of the freeloading Pujaaree-Vaad.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੪॥੪॥ : There is only Naam (Wisdom / Virtues) In the Nanak’s Home (mind/Heart). ||4||4|| (sggs 1136).
Our Gurus, and Bhagat Sahibaan questioned every cultural, religious or political tradition and proclamations and redefined / changed as situation demanded. They all courageously and firmly stood up against the long held stale traditions, concocted narratives, and futile rituals (Karamkaand) of Hindus, Musalmans, Yogis, Jain etc.
In order to impart the Truth (ਸਚ), all 35 contributors of the SGGS have used language, beliefs, phrases, metaphors and traditions of that were already within the use and within the psyche of people of the time.
For example, when speaking to a farmer Baabaa Nanak used the language of farmers. When in discussion with Pandit, Yogi or Qazi he used their spiritual language of the time. It was easy for the people to relate and understand his Unique spiritual Message.
It is extremely important to note here that GURU gave his own definition and meaning of the language and words he used.
Having said that, GURUS and BHAGATS have used these terms as examples (ਹਵਾਲਾ), but explicitly with new meanings and understanding to fit the new spiritual paradigms of Sikhi or Gurmat of Baabaa Nanak.
Self-serving Pujaaree destroyed the spiritual lifestyle in human society
Consider the following verses of Baabaa Nanak:
- ਕਾਦੀ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਮਲੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ॥ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥ ਤੀਨੇ ਓਜਾੜੇ ਕਾ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੨॥: The clergy of the Muslim faith was corrupt, the Brahmin was murderous and the Yogi Un-Enlightened. These three (clergy) had become the root cause for the spiritual wreckage and desolation that mankind had
come to endure. (sggs 662).
For example, although these three — Qazi, Brahmin, and Yogi — call themselves the defenders, guardians or leaders of religion (ਧਰਮ-ਨੇਤਾ), but according to the Gurbani within them is the void or vacuum of spiritual life (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਵਲੋਂ ਸੁੰਞ). They numb people’s intellect from developing and lead people astray from the Way of Truth (Sach).
Baabaa Nanak says that the corrupt Pujaaree has ruined (ਉਜਾੜਾ) the entire human society. Their thinking and actions are fetters. Their false practices and conduct are imprisonment that brings annihilation of their own spiritual life (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਮੌਤ) as well as of their ignorant followers. In turn, they ruin the entire society.
To say it otherwise, the Pjaaree has blocked everybody’s intellect from developing.
Instead, it is a distorted, corrupted and tainted Sikhi of the illiterate and self serving Pujaaree — clergy: Granthis, Parcharaks, Ragis, Dhadees etc.) and the freeloading Deraa-Vaad Baabaas (ਵੇਹਲੜ) etc.
When Baabaa Nanak calls them liars, fool, ignorant, Satan, bewildered or lost, traders of Maya, greedy, treacherous, harmful, deceptive, conmen (‘Thuggs’) etc. he is not slandering them. Because, what Baabaa Nanak is saying about them is very true (ਸਚ-Sach)!
The corrupt Pujaaree works in concert with the corrupt business class, rulers or leaders and their administrators. They are ‘Hand in Glove’ with each other — ‘you scratch my back I scratch yours’, as the saying goes!
The Pujaaree groups of each organized and institutionalized religion may have different traditions, formalities (Karamkaand), peculiar religious robes or appearance etc. but their Soch (thinking) is the same — exploit people by provoking emotions (ਭਾਵਨਾਵਾਂ), enslave their minds and stop them from developing; keep them ignorant, wandering, misguided (ਗੁਮਰਾਹ), fearful and greedy, superstitious, doubt-ridden (ਵਹਮ-ਭਰਮ), foolish, tangled in meaningless ritualism, hating and killing ‘others’, and so on.
- ਨਾ ਓਇ ਜੋਗੀ ਨਾ ਓਇ ਜੰਗਮ ਨਾ ਓਇ ਕਾਜੀ ਮੁੰਲਾ ॥ ਦਯਿ ਵਿਗੋਏ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਵਿਗੁਤੇ ਫਿਟਾ ਵਤੈ ਗਲਾ ॥: They are not Yogis, and they are not Jangams, and they are not Qazis or Mullahs. Lost (separated…) from the Merciful (Lord), they wander around in sad plight, and their entire band is disdainful (sggs 149-150).
- ਮੂਰਖ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਸੰਜੈ ਕਰਹਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥: The greedy Learned fools (Pundit, priest, clergy, religious scholars) gathers wealth through chicanery and clever arguments. (sggs 469).
- ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲਿ ਪਾਡੇ ਸਚੁ ਕਹੀਐ ॥: O Pandit (i.e. Pujaaree, religious scholar etc.)! Do not tell lies, speak the Truth. (sggs 904).
Thus, with logic or commonsense (ਤਰਕ), the Gurbani hits hard not only the Pujaaree groups, but also hits hard on their bases (Dere, camps-ਡੇਰੇ, ਅੱਡੇ ).
- ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਪਸੂ ਕੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਜਾਤਿ ॥ ਲੋਕ ਪਚਾਰਾ ਕਰੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੇਖ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਛਪਸਿ ਨਾਹਿ ਕਛੁ ਕਰੈ ਛਪਾਇਆ ॥: Although; human in name or creed, but actions are that of animalistic nature. But day and night he exhibits or shows off to people (that he is a human – ਬੰਦਾ)! Outside (on his body) he wears religious dress but in his mind is the filth of Maya. However he cannot conceal the filth of his mind with (outwardly wearing religious robes, cunningness, pleasing people etc.). (sggs 267).
Apparently, what we seem to forget or ignore is that these teachings of the Gurbani also apply to all Sikhs!
Influence of Brahminical and Yogic beliefs on Sikhi – Biparvaad
In majority of the Gurdwaras around the world (perhaps over 99 percent), you will see tremendous influence of Biparvaad in today’s Sikhi. It’s no longer the Sikhi that was taught by our Gurus or the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS.
In India, history reveals any ‘Soch’ (thinking) which did not serve the Brahman Pujaaree got strangled by them. Only that ‘Soch’ (thinking) which was in favor of the Brahmin Pujaaree survived.
Sikhi as it is practiced today is a Sikhi of the anti-Sikhi Pujaaree-Vaad. In short, the illiterate and dishonest Pujaaree-Vaad has pretty much eroded the Uniqueness and Newness of Sikhi to its core.
Question is how did the anti-Sikhi Pujaaree-Vaad in Sikhi become so powerful and able to distort and corrupt the Uniqueness of the Sikhi or the Gurmat (Giaan, Wisdom, Upadesh, Sikhiaa, Way of the SGGS)?
Let’s take a little peek at the history.
One answer to the above question is that a void and vacuum was created after the fall of Sikh Raj of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur (1718).
This void and vacuum was filled by many groups — Udasis, Nirmalas, Deravaad Sants, etc. With the support and patronage of the two foreign powers that ruled Punjab then – the Mughals and the British – these anti-Sikhi groups controlled the daily business of running Gurdwaras, institutions and everything related to them. These foreign powers actively supported groups like Udasis, Nirmalas, Deravaad Sants, and so on.
As a matter of fact — throughout the period of the Gurus (1469 – 1708) — no Sikh was referred to with the title of ‘Sant’.
In fact, many of the original heads of Deraas in Punjab were veterans of the British army in India! Apparently, they were supported by the British Raj for the main purpose of (1) distorting, tainting and corrupting the Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak, and (2) to divide Sikhs to weaken them for easy control of the VAST Punjab province, which stretched (during the British Raj, NOT now) from Himachal Pradesh in the east to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the west!
Those who call themselves Sant are termed in the Gurbani ‘ਬਾਨਾਰਸਿ ਕੇ ਠਗ’ (Benares Kay Thugg) meaning ‘fraudulent or conmen posing as Sants or spiritual persons.’
Additional anti Sikhi groups:
In this mix of Udasis, Nirmalas and Deravaad Sants are some other opponents of the Sikhi and the Gurus — Prithi Chand (the eldest son of Guru Ram Das), Ram Rai (the eldest son of Guru Har Rai), Dhir Mall (the elder son of Baba Gurditta and a grandson of Guru Hargobind), and their followers.
- ਉਲਟੀ ਗੰਗ ਵਹਾਈਓਨ ਗੁਰ ਅੰਗਦ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰ ਧਾਰਾ ॥ ਪੁਤੀਂ ਕੌਲ ਨ ਪਾਲਿਆ ਮਨ ਖੋਟੇ ਆਕੀ ਨਸਿਆਰਾ ॥: (Baabaa Nanak) performed an extraordinary practice in installing Angad as his successor Guru. His sons (i.e., sons of Baabaa Nanak: Sri Chand and Lakhmi Das) defied his spirituality on account of their malice, and rose to rebellion and desertion. (Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 1, Pauree 38.).
- ਮੋਹਣੁ ਕਮਲਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਚਉਬਾਰਾ ਮੋਹਰੀ ਮਨਾਇਆ ॥ ਮੀਣਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਪਿਰਥੀਆ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਤੋਂਡਕ ਬਰਲੁ ਚਲਾਇਆ ॥: Mohan (son of Guru Amardas) got insane (ਝੱਲਾ, ਬੇ-ਅਕਲ…) and Mohart (the second son) lived in a lofty house and started getting served by the people. Prithy Chand (son of Guru Ramdas) came out as dissembling scoundrel and using his oblique nature spread his mental sickness all round. (Bhai Gurdas Ji, Vaar 26, Paurhee 33).
All these anti-Sikhi groups have snatched or taken over (i.e. highjacked etc.) the unique Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak! They have severely eroded it to its core.
The Pujaaree’s Sikhi is a Sikhi of fake granths like ‘Suraj Parkash’, ‘Gur Bilas Pa. 6’, so called ‘Dasam Granth’, concocted story-books (e.g., Baalaa Sakhi book, Mani Singh Sakhi book, etc.), and many books published by the Deraavaad Sants which are full of what has been rejected by the Gurmat — fake and laughable Karaamaatee stories (Sakhi-ਸਾਖੀ), falsehood (ਝੂਠ), embellished history with imaginary facts along the lines of Brahminical literature, mythology, Karamkaand, etc.
Read them yourself to find out they are exact opposite of the Unique message of the SGGS!
The content of these granths clearly suggests they are written by Brahmins, Pandits or Yogis in Sikh masks, mainly to distort, corrupt and taint the revolutionary ‘Soch’ (thinking) of the Gurus and Bhagats.
NEXT, look at the dishonest so called Sikh scholars (Pandits-ਵਿਦਵਾਨ). They were supposed to understand the Uniqueness, Newness and equally distinct goals of the Gurbani, and then honestly share that with people AS IT IS.
INSTEAD, these dishonest scholars became a part of the crowd (ਭੀੜ) that follows the path of Brahmins, Yogi, etc. — path of lies; Karamkaand (empty rituals or formalities…), hypocrisy; pilgrimage; Golak (business, ਧੰਧਾ), self-glory (ਅਪਣੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਾਉਣੀ); pretension; falsehood, corruption, fraud, deception, ostentatious shows of religiosity, Pujaaree System; Deraavaad (ਵੇਹਲੜ ਲੋਕਾ ਦੇ ਅੱਡੇ); counterfeit god, etc.
As a result — although the Uniqueness and Newness of the Gurbani was total and complete; and every aspect of Sikhi or Sikh Way of life was uniquely different from the then existing ones — the Gurbani has been distorted and corrupted to the core through vedic and puranic slants in interpretations and translations by the dishonest Pujaaree-Vaad.
Gurbani is NOT meant to regurgitate concocted beliefs that exited before the Gurus
Baabaa Nanak debunked the priests (Pujaaree) and Qazis for misleading and fleecing the gullible.
The Truth is: Whatever the then Pujaaree (Pandit, Brahmin, Mullaan, and so on) have written, the Gurbani rejects all of that and asks us Sikhs to do the same:
- ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥੩॥: ALL that the Pandit and Mullah Clergy have prescribed or presented to us, I have DISCARDED (while walking on the Path of Spirituality). I DISCARD IT ALL and have ACCEPTED NOTHING at all. ||3|| (sggs 1159).
- ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਨ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ ॥ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ ॥੪॥ : We are not Hindus, nor are we Muslims (i.e. for the guidance of spiritual life, we do not depend on them). My body and breath of life belong to (whom Muslims call) Allah and to (whom Hindus call) Raam ||4|| (sggs 1136).
Because, there is the Newness and the Uniqueness in the Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak and the Gurbani’s Message. Also, the goals of Baabaa Nanak’s Sikhi are distinct.
In short, it’s NOT a way of the outdated and irrelevant ‘Parampraa’ (traditions, etc.), blind-faith (ਅੰਧ-ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ, ਅੰਨੀ ਸ਼ਰਧਾਂ), ritualism, falsehood, superstitions, irrational or illogical thinking (ਤਰਕਹੀਣਤਾ), concocted texts and stories etc., that existed before Baabaa Nanak.
Unfortunately, the true Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak has been hijacked by the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad.
The Gurbani is a ‘New Treasure’ of Wisdom (‘ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ’)!
If we seriously want to discover the Gurmat’s Newness, Uniqueness, and equally distinct goals, then the Gurbani says we must abandon or reject the ‘Soch’ (thinking) of the dishonest Pujaaree-Vaad and the dishonest so called Sikh scholars (Pandits-ਵਿਦਵਾਨ) along with their bases (i.e., camps or Dera of religious hooliganism, freeloaders, loose lifestyle – ਵੇਹਲੜ ਲੋਕਾ ਦੇ ਐਸ਼ਪਰਸਤੀ ਦੇ ਅੱਡੇ, ਡੇਰੇ).
Because, as long as these bases (camps, ਅੱਡੇ, ਡੇਰੇ) of the dishonest Pujaaree-Vaad are not exposed for what they are, the Pujaaree and scholars will change but the business (ਧੰਧਾ) of corruption at these bases will continue as usual in the name of the Gurbani and the Gurus.
Let’s not lose sight of the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ — many honest, fearless and selfless individuals have already contributed and are contributing to solving the riddle (‘ਮੁਦਾਵਣੀ’) posed by the Gurus, and sharing the Newness and Uniqueness of the Gurbani’s message and goals AS IT IS. Such courageous individuals (ਯੋਧੇ) should be supported by all means!
No one will come and take us out of this swamp of Biparvad. We will have to get out of it ourselves!
- ਕਬੀਰ ਜਿਹ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਗਏ ਪਾਛੈ ਪਰੀ ਬਹੀਰ ॥ ਇਕ ਅਵਘਟ ਘਾਟੀ ਰਾਮ ਕੀ ਤਿਹ ਚੜਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਕਬੀਰ ॥੧੬੫॥: O Kabeer! To follow ways of the enlightened beings, one must abandon the crowd (i.e. the stale and distorted path of falsehood, Pakhand, Karamkaand, superstitions…). There is a treacherous and rugged cliff on the way to becoming ‘Raam‘ (i.e. becoming Kartaa, Hari, divine, enlightened, spiritual being…); Kabeer is climbing that cliff (ALONE!). ||165|| (sggs 1373).
Some Related Posts:
- Sikhi: a Way of Life
- Gurmat and Shabad Vichaar
- Gurmat and Social Change
- Gurmat Spirituality is Practical and Universal
- Realize Enlightening Message Embedded within Shabad
- Opening Verse of the SGGS – Concept of God in Sikhi
- Seven Days of a Sikh
- Sikhi of the Clergy – Pujaaree
- Pujaaree System Wants People Remain Ignorant, Fearful, Ritualistic…
- SGGS Teaches to Discard the Clergy – Pujaaree System