The Hukkaa (or Hukka, hubble-bubble, ਹੁੱਕਾ…) smokers, after each smoking session, empty the burnt tobacco and coal from the Hukkaa’s Chilam (the top head part or bowl that holds the coal and tobacco during the smoking session) in a small nearby pit.
They also use this pit as a spit-container to discard their spit while clearing their throats during the smoking session.
Literally, this pit (that collects waste…) is called Bhangaar ( ਭੰਗਾਰ ).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਸਨੋ ਹੂਆ ਤ ਕਿਆ ਭਇਆ ਮਾਲਾ ਮੇਲੀਂ ਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਬਾਰਹਾ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਭਰੀ ਭੰਗਾਰ ॥: O Kabeer! What good is it to appear like a devotee of Vishnu, and wear four Maalaa (rosary)? On the outside, you (pretend to) look like pure gold (i.e., pious, holy, pure, Mahaatamaa…); but on the inside, you are stuffed with filth or Bhangaar (Bikaar: lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride and their numerous variations…). (sggs 1372).
Here, Bhagat Kabeer Jee is comparing those who wears all sorts religious robes, religious symbols, or religious paraphernalia, etc. with Bhangaar (ਭੰਗਾਰ), if on the inside they are full of inner garbage (lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride…).
- ਨਾਵਹੁ ਧੋਵਹੁ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਚੜਾਵਹੁ ਸੁਚ ਵਿਣੁ ਸੋਚ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੬॥: (O Pandit!) You bathe (at the shrines or Teerath), wash (your outer body-frame), put Tilak (on the forehead) (and consider it a pious deed), but without pious conduct this outward purity is of no value (actually this delusion is also Kali Yuga). (sggs 903).
In other words, Bhagat Kabeer Jee is saying that what’s the use of one’s external display of religiosity if on the inside one is full of the filth (‘Mail-ਮੈਲ’) of negative impact or dominance of Haumai (false ego-ense) and its faults or Bikaars (lust, anger, greed etc.) which blinds us to Wisdom or Giaan, Virtues, our True Nature (Jot Saroop) etc.
Haumai (false ego-sense) or Bikaar in themselves are not bad. We all have them!
- ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚੇ ਪਾਈ ॥ : (Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature…) has created ego (Haumai) and Maya within (the creation…). (sggs 1044).
- ਤੁਧੁ ਜਗ ਮਹਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਪਾਈਆ ॥ ਏਕੁ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਪੰਚ ਚੋਰ ਹਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਬੁਰਿਆਈਆ ॥ : This world is a game created by Hukam (i.e. System-Rule-Law of Nature) in which human beings are afflicted with ego (Haumai). In this one body-temple there are five thieves (i.e. Bikaar: lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride) who are always doing evil (these five thieves have taken over the mind-elephant). (sggs 1096).
Then What’s BAD or NEGATIVE about them?
What’s bad or negative is when they become DOMINANT (ਹਾਵੀ) — when they dominate one’s mind or when they become the mind’s hobbies.
Then they cause damage! Removing this negative dominance will require sincere efforts — the Guru’s Wisdom (Soap-ਸਾਬਨ) will have to be rubbed on the mind then the ‘filth-Mail-ਮੈਲ’) of the mind will come off.
- ਭਰੀਐ ਮਤਿ ਪਾਪਾ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ॥ ਓਹੁ ਧੋਪੈ ਨਾਵੈ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ॥: Our intellect or Wisdom is full of cheap / bad / inferior thoughts. It can only be cleansed (internal cleanliness) by the Love of the Divine Naam (i.e., this thinking of superstitions, delusions, hypocrisies, ਮੰਨਮੱਤੀ, ਅੰਨਮੱਤੀ, ਮੂੜਮੱਤੀ ਸੋਚ or thinking can be removed from the mind only with the Gurmat Giaan or Wisdom). (sggs 4).
In other words, this ‘filth-Mail-ਮੈਲ’) will not be removed by itself. Also it will not be removed by doing ‘Rabb Rabb‘, ‘Raam Raam‘, ‘Waheguru Waguru’, counting beads or mere seeing and bowing down in front of SGGS as the illiterate or corrupt Pujaaree advocates people to do.
- ਹਰਿ ਆਰਾਧਿ ਨ ਜਾਨਾ ਰੇ॥ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਰੇ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਿਓ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (O brother!) I have not learnt how to remember Rabb. I only repeat ‘Hari Hari’ ‘Guru Guru‘ with empty mouth (ਖਾਲੀ ਮੂੰਹੋਂ, Pakhand, to show off etc. ). By this show alone (ਵਿਖਾਵੇ ਕਰ ਕੇ) people have named me Ramdas, the Bhagat of Rabb! (sggs 612).
It’s rarely we glimpse our obsession with self-importance. The Gurbani indicates that in order to sow the sublime seed of Naam (Wisdom, virtues…) in the body-field, we need to clear it of the weeds: inner garbage or pollution – Bhangaar (ਭੰਗਾਰ).
- ਕਰਤੂਤਿ ਪਸੂ ਕੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਜਾਤਿ ॥ ਲੋਕ ਪਚਾਰਾ ਕਰੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤਿ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੇਖ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਛਪਸਿ ਨਾਹਿ ਕਛੁ ਕਰੈ ਛਪਾਇਆ ॥: Although; human in name or creed, but actions are that of animalistic nature. But day and night he exhibits or shows off to people (that he is a human – ਬੰਦਾ)! Outside (on his body) he wears religious dress but in his mind is the filth of Maya. However he cannot conceal the filth of his mind with (outwardly wearing religious robes, cunningness, pleasing people etc.). (sggs 267).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰਤ ਭੇਖੀ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥: Acting in egotism (Haumai), wearing religious robes, (Mool) is not known (i.e, Realized). Rare is (the person) whose mind, by becoming the Gurmukh, becomes accustomed to Bhagti ||1|| (sggs 226).
In the purified Vision, there is no Haumai (false ego-sense, or the garbage of Bikaar). On the contrary, in the impure vision there is division in consciousness (duality – Doojaa Bhaav).
When the mind turns towards it Jot Saroop (True Nature), it abandons its mistaken identification with the fleeting body-frame. Thus, true inner purity is the absence of negative impact of false ego-sense (Haumai), the false self.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥: Thus says Nanak – O mind! You are embodiment of Pure Light (Pure Consciousness, Pure Nature, Original or Real Nature, Wisdom, Virtues – Jot Saroop …)! Recognize your Mool (ਅਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਦੀ ਪਛਾਣ, recognition of mind’s Original or True Nature – Jot Saroop…) ||5|| (sggs 441).