The Gurbani tries many ways guiding us in driving away our ignorance. Furthermore, it stresses many ways the gains (Laahaa-ਲਾਹਾ) of imbibing in the True Knowledge (Divine Wisdom, ਸੱਚ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ, Aatam-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Shabad-Giaan, Gurmat…).
Call it Gobind, Rabb, Jot (ਜੋਤ), Noor (ਨੂਰ), Light or whatever name you like, as per the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS), the Reality or Rabb is ONE (Universal Energy, Hukam, System or Law of Nature, ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦਾ ਨਿਯਮ…) and it is the common denominator of all that exists (“Ek Noor-ਏਕ ਨੂਰ”).
This Hukam (Universal Energy, System or Law of Nature, ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦਾ ਨਿਯਮ) functions constantly everywhere, without any discrimination (ਭੇਦ-ਭਾਵ).
- ਏਕ ਨੂਰ ਤੇ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਕਉਨ ਭਲੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਦੇ ॥੧॥: The entire universe has taken place from One “Noor” (One Universal Energy, Hukam, System or Law of Nature, ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦਾ ਨਿਯਮ). So who is good, and who is bad? ||1|| (sggs 1349).
As ocean is the base of the wave and gold of golden ornaments, similarly, the One Reality is the Substratum of individual consciousness and all subsequent manifestations. Ocean is the metaphor for the one’s True own-self, and the wave is the metaphor for the false ego, individual identity or manifestation of the objective world.
- ਤੋਹੀ ਮੋਹੀ ਮੋਹੀ ਤੋਹੀ ਅੰਤਰੁ ਕੈਸਾ ॥ ਕਨਕ ਕਟਿਕ ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗ ਜੈਸਾ ॥੧॥: You are me, and I am You—what is the difference between us? We are like gold and the bracelet, or water and the waves ||1|| (sggs 93).
Our body is the food for this false ego-sense (Haumai) without which the manifestation or Maya is not present. When the wave subsides, only ocean remains, which was there before the wave. Similarly, when the false “I” consciousness subsides, only the “Joti-Saroop(u)” remains, which was present prior to the appearance of the physical body.
- ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੀ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਮਉਲੋ ॥: (the Divine) is the Embodiment of Light and through Him, the whole world blossoms forth. (sggs 1083). (sggs 1083).
The Gurbani tells us our mind is Joti-Saroop (embodiment of Pure Light or Consciousness, Pure Nature, Original or Real Nature, Wisdom, Virtues, Truth …) — the True Image of the Divine Light (System or Law of Nature…) prior to the movement of the false ego-sense (Haumai). This Haumai kills our True Nature.
The true Dharma of the Soul (Aatmaa, mind) is to imbibe in this Truth. The Niraakaar (Formless) Soul has no other religion or Dharma.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥: Thus says Nanak – O mind! You are embodiment of Pure Light (Pure Consciousness, Pure Nature, Original or Real Nature, Wisdom, Virtues – Jot Saroop …)! Recognize your Mool (ਅਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਦੀ ਪਛਾਣ, recognition of mind’s Original or True Nature – Jot Saroop…) ||5|| (sggs 441).
- ਜਿਨਿ ਆਤਮ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਚੀਨ੍ਆਿ ॥ ਸਭ ਫੋਕਟ ਧਰਮ ਅਬੀਨਿਆ ॥: Whoever does not Realize the Essence or Reality of the Soul (ਆਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਅਸਲੀਅਤ…), all his religious acts are of no value – worthless (sggs 1351).
- ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਖਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਜਿਤਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਅਪਾਰੁ ਆਪੁ ਪਛਾਨਿਆ ॥: (That person who has) obtained the great treasure of the Naam (Wisdom, Bibek, Truth…), he has realized ownself (ਅਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ ਪਛਾਣ ਲਿਆ) and thus won the immense (game) of life. (sggs 522).
It is not easy for the mortal to recognize this Truth (or mind’s Mool), because it is not easy for the mortal to ignore the immediate reality of the enchanting world of gross objects in which he is born into.
The Truth (Mool) is hidden among the layers of attractions of this enchanting and mirage-like world. Furthermore, it is hidden among the layers of the false ego-sense or Haumai (layers of lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, etc.).
That is why the Gurbani repeatedly stresses the basic truth of the mind’s True Nature as that which is Eternal, Unchanging (“ਅਚੁਤ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ”…) etc., and hence transcends the worldly existence.
- ਆਤਮ ਮਹਿ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਾਮ ਮਹਿ ਆਤਮੁ ਚੀਨਸਿ ਗੁਰ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥: Raam is in every Soul, and each Soul is in Raam. This is realized through Reflecting on the Gur-Giaan (Divine Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad…). (sggs 1153).
Some Jeeva (individual beings) may Realize this Truth in moments. Those who do Realize, for them this is what the Gurbani has to say:
- ਆਤਮਾ ਬਾਸੁਦੇਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ ॥ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥੪॥: One who understands the mystery of the soul and the Omnipresent Lord; Nanak is a slave to him; (as) he himself is (like) the Immaculate Lord (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ) ||4|| (sggs 469).
But, due to our readiness to engage and associate with doubts, likes and dislikes (i.e., duality), worldly traps, Vaasnaas (latent tendencies…), Haumai, etc., some of us may not grasp this Truth. For when we engage in this search (ਖੋਜ) while caught in the worldliness (Mayaic dealings), the effort becomes a self-defeating one.
That’s where the Gur-Giaan (Gur-Wisdom) guides us and rescues us. The Gur-Giann urges us to Understand that the entire universe is a manifestation of the One Formless Reality (Jot). The Gurbani wants us to remember at all times that mind’s Original or True Nature is this Jot Saroop. For that, the Gurbani advises us to surrender and look inward and search for our True Identity – Jot Saroop, which is beyond all limiting features and functions of the gross body-frame.
- ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਅਰਪਿਓ ਅੰਤਰ ਗਤਿ ਕੀਨੀ ॥ ਗਤਿ ਮਿਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਆਤਮੁ ਚੀਨੀ ॥੪॥: I have planted the value of (Gur-Wisdom) within, and have surrendered my mind and body (to this Wisdom). Understanding my own-self, (now, I) have come to realize the value of development (i.e., expansion-progress-blooming of intellect). (sggs 227).