The Gurmat (Wisdom, Giaan, Upadesh, Sikhiaa, or Way of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) asserts that God or Rabb is the subject of Understanding (ਸਮਝਣ) and Realization, NOT the subject of Poojaa or blind-worship, blind faith (ਅੰਧ ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ਼, ਅੰਨੀ ਸ਼ਰਧਾ), foolishness etc.!
Recognize God Within
- ਞੰਞਾ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਜੁ ਘਟ ਰਹਿਓ ਦੂਰਿ ਕਹਾ ਤਜਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜਾ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਜਗੁ ਢੂਢਿਅਉ ਨੇਰਉ ਪਾਇਅਉ ਤਾਹਿ ॥੧੬॥ : Janjan: God dwells near you, dwells within yourself, why do you leave Him and go far away (to find Him). For whom I searched the entire world, I found him within myself. (sggs 341).
As is commonly portrayed, God is NOT a human like being, but rather a Universal Energy. That is why God is Omnipresent, Formless and though called by millions of names yet has no name nor can be described. All of existence is only energy manifested in different forms, and this includes us humans as well.
The most all-encompassing Sikh or Gurbani term for God is ‘Kartaa Purakh’, the Creator of the universe, both visible and invisible.
Hence God in Gurmat or Sikhi is NOT SEPARATE FROM MAN!
Therefore there is nothing in the Universe – visible or invisible – which Baabaa Nanak does not call God (One Creator – Universal Energy!
- ਸਦਾ ਹਜੂਰਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਛਾਣਹੁ ॥: He is always close at hand (ਅੰਗ-ਸੰਗ) – do not think that He is far away. Through the Guru’s Shabad, recognize the Lord deep within your own being. (sggs116).
- ਸਰਬੇ ਏਕੁ ਅਨੇਕੈ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸਭ ਘਟ ਭੋੁਗਵੈ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸ ਹਾਥ ਪੈ ਨੇਰੈ ਸਹਜੇ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਹੋਈ ॥੪॥੧॥ : Amidst all, the one God has assumed many forms, and He is enjoying pervading all the Hearts. Ravi Das says: God is nearer to us than even our hands, and whatever is happening, is happening in His Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature). ||4||1|| (sggs 658).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਵਸਤੁ ਮੂੜਾ ਬਾਹਰੁ ਭਾਲੇ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥ ਜਿਥੈ ਵਥੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਿਥਹੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥: The wealth of God’s Naam is within all, but the foolish one looks for it outside. The (mentally or spiritually) blind Manmukhs wander around like demons. No one tries to find the wealth of Naam where it is present, the Manmukhs remain lost in doubt. ||7|| (sggs 117).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਖੋਟੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਖੋਟਾ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਕੂੜੁ ਕਮਾਵਨਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਭਾਰਾ ॥ ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਫਿਰਨਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮਹਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥: The wealth of the self-willed Manmukhs (that they collect throughout their lives) is false, and false is their ostentatious display. They practice falsehood, and suffer terrible pain. Deluded by doubt, they wander day and night; through birth and death, they waste their lives ||7|| (sggs 116).
As indicated in the Gurbani, a Manmukh (unenlightened Mind) is a ‘stupid‘ one. Such person is unaware of the Essence of the Absolute Reality ever present within his own body just as the deer is unaware of the presence of musk within his body.
On the other hand, the Enlightened ones (Gurmukh Mindsets) do not care for worthless rituals (Karamkaand), pilgrimage or ritual bathing religious paraphernalia etc. for they are spiritually Conscious — connected not only to their world but the entire Universe. To the contrary, the Manmukh persons, filled with the poisonous lava of false ego-sense (i.e. Haumai) inside, lives in unawareness.
- ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਝੀ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥: This mind of the Manmukh (materialistis, self-willed, etc.) is so stupid; he does not obtain any understanding at all (sggs 491).
Aptly, the Gurbani asserts God as Universal Energy dwells within all of us, day and night. The Gurbani calls them fools who don’t understand this simple truth.
- ਤੂ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਵਸਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਉ ਨ ਬੁਝਹਿ ਗਵਾਰੀ ॥: (O Lord) You dwell, hidden, within the Heart (of all beings) day and night, but the fools do not understand to Love You (sggs 607).
Furthermore, the Gurbani repeatedly reminds us that the ORIGINAL NATURE of our mind is Jot Saroop.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥ (sggs 441).
But, it is the curtain or wall of our false ego-sense (Haumai – ਹਉਮੈ) that has intervened.
The Gurbani also teaches us that – by BECOMING THE GURBANI and Enlightened (Gurmukh Mindset) – we can Realize God within, Here and Now.
- ਇਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਚੇ ਕੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਜੋਤਿ ॥ ਗੁਹਜ ਰਤਨ ਵਿਚਿ ਲੁਕਿ ਰਹੇ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਕਢੈ ਖੋਤਿ ॥: This body (or human life) is Hukam (System-Rule-Law of Nature); Within it is the Creator’s ‘Jot‘ (Light-Conscience) is within it. Hidden or embedded within (this ‘Jot‘ or Conscience) are the Jewels (of Godly Virtues, Wisdom etc.); a ‘rare‘ person digs them out from the depth of Conscience through the Message of the Shabad by becoming ‘Sevak’ (Sikh: learner, seeker, Gurmukh, Daas, Jan etc.). (sggs 309).
God has to take birth in the womb of love / Virtues / Wisdom WITHIN each one of us.
In a nutshell, God – without form-shape-color (without ‘Roopu-ਰੂਪੁ’, ‘Raekh-ਰੇਖ’, and ‘Rangu-ਰੰਗੁ’) – is within our brain as:
- Virtues (ਗੁਣ) – Truth, honesty, contentment, mercy, patience, Sahaj, etc.
- Wisdom, Bibek (ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ) – “ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ“.
- System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature (Hukam, ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਨਿਯਮ) – we reap what we saw! This Sytem-Rule-Law-Order of Nature is present within all and also throughout the Universe.
In short, people who think of God sitting in brick buildings or consider specific buildings as thrones of Akaal should read and digest this Shabad of Bhagat Kabeer Jee. In this Shabad, Bhagat Kabeer Jee has blown up the falsehood and the so called special locations of God made by the self-serving Pujaaee or the Pujaaree systems of all organized and institutionalized religions (Majhab-ਮਜਹਬ).
- ਅਲਹੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਮੁਲਖੁ ਕਿਸੁ ਕੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਦੁਹ ਮਹਿ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਹੇਰਾ ॥…: (Muslims think) Allah lives only in the mosque; then to whom does the rest of the world belong? Hindus think idol is the abode of the Divine (or the Divine) Naam; there is no truth (ਅਸਲੀਅਤ) in these claims (of both Hindus and Muslims)…. (sggs 1349).
Clearly, SGGS tells us that separate God – separate from man – is a blunder created by the crafty and self serving Pujaaree (clergy: Granthis, Parcharaks, Ragis, Dhadees etc.) and the freeloading Deraa-Vaad Baabaas (ਵੇਹਲੜ) etc.
- ਭ੍ਰਮ ਛੂਟੇ ਤੇ ਏਕੰਕਾਰ ॥੩॥: When all doubts are gotten rid of, then what remains is the ONE (Creative, Universal Energy or Hukam: System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature). (sggs 736).
Realize God Within
We are told by the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS that the worth of a Sikh without Realization of the Creator Within is not even half a penny!
- ਘਰਿ ਆਉ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਦੁਤਰ ਤਾਰੇ ਤੁਧੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਢੁ ਨ ਮੋਲੋ ॥ : O Beloved (God), please manifest within me and ferry me across (Bhav Saagar worldly ocean of life, Maya, vices or Bikaar); without Realizing you within, my worth is not even half a penny. (sggs 1108).
As we are repeatedly Instructed by the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS), God is Omnipresent and Unfathomable. Therefore, the ENTIRETY of God is beyond Realization of one’s limited senses.
- ਤੂ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਦਾਨਾ ਬੀਨਾ ਮੈ ਮਛੁਲੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਅੰਤੁ ਲਹਾ ॥ : I am merely a fish in the Unfathomable Ocean that is You, how can I ever fathom You in entirety? (sggs 25).
This is the reason God’s name in Gurmat is meant for Understanding, not for robotic or mechanical chanting etc.
In short, it is meant for BECOMING (God-like Virtues) — BECOMING NAAM ( i.e. Virtues / Wisdom), Realizing Naam within, inculcating Naam Within, or Internalizing Naam within.
Hence ‘NAAM JAPANAA‘ in the Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak is living daily life with Wisdom / Virtues — practical Spirituality.
- ਏਤੁ ਰਾਹਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਵੜੀਆ ਚੜੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕੀਸ ॥: In this Way of spiritual Journey one can climb the spiritual ladder (i.e. Elevate his Consciousness) to BECOME one with Rabb within. (sggs 7).
The following Shabad Teaches us we can realize the presence of the Omnipresent God by becoming ‘Bhagat‘ — living a Divine Life of Godly Virtues / Wisdom.
- ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਘਿਣਾਵਣੇ ॥ ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬੇਦ ਪੜਾਵਣੇ ॥ ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥ ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਧਰਤੀ ਧਾਈਐ ॥ ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਕਿਤੈ ਸਿਆਣਪੈ ॥ ਨਾ ਤੂ ਆਵਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇ ॥ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਤੇਰੈ ਵਸਿ ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰਾ ॥ ਤੂ ਭਗਤਾ ਕੈ ਵਸਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਤਾਣੁ ਤੇਰਾ ॥੧੦॥: O God, You are not be swayed by begging before You. You are not won over by reading or teaching Vedas (or any scripture for that matter). No one can please You by bathing at the so called locations of pilgrimage. You cannot be won over by wandering all over the world. You cannot be won over through any cleverness. You can not be influenced by giving huge donations to charities. O Inaccessible and Incomprehensible God, every being is under Your control. (But) You are only won over by Your Bhagat (Daas, Jan, Gurmukh Mindset) and they depend only upon Your support. ||10|| (sggs 962).
The term ‘Vasi‘ (ਵਸਿ) in the above Shabad essentially = to sway, to win over, to overbear, to enchant, to charm, to fascinate, to enamor, to please etc. (ਰੀਝਾਣਾਂ, ਪ੍ਰਸੰਨ ਕਰਣਾਂ, ਵੱਸ ਆਉਣਾਂ).
The above Shabad also Teaches us God CANNOT be Realized by any clever tricks of our mind:
- ‘Ghinaavane-ਘਿਣਾਵਣੇ’: By pleading, superficially supplicating (ਮੱਥੇ ਟੇਕਣਾਂ, ਮਾਇਕੀ ਅਰਦਾਸਾਂ, praying for material things etc); by pretending to be humble (showing off humility…), ਦੀਨ ਹੋਕੇ ਬੋਲਣੇ ਨਾਲ, ਬਹੁਤੇ ਦਿਖਾਵੇ ਦੇ ਤਰਲੇ ਲੈਂਣ ਨਾਲ.
- ‘Bed parhaavane-ਬੇਦ ਪੜਾਵਣੇ’: By reading the Vedas (or any other religious text or Granth for that matter).
- ‘Teerath Naaeeai-ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ’: By bathing at the so called locations of Tirath Asthaan (ਤੀਰਥ ਉਤੇ – places of pilgrimage).
- ‘Dhartee Dhaaeeai-ਧਰਤੀ ਧਾਈਐ’: By roaming or wandering all over the earth (like freeloading Yogis, Saadhoos, Baabaas etc.).
- ‘Kitai Siaanpe-ਕਿਤੈ ਸਿਆਣਪੈ’: By any clever tricks of our mind (ਚਤੁਰਾਈ-ਸਿਆਣਪ).
- ‘Daan De-ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇ’: By giving huge donations to charities, by giving alms (ਬਹੁਤਾ ਦਾਨ ਦੇਣ ਨਾਲ) etc.
- ‘Agam Agocharaa-ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰਾ: Human senses or mental faculties are limited however the Creator is said to be Inaccessible (ਅਪਹੁੰਚ), Unfathomable, Impenetrable, Unperceivable, Imperceptible etc.
- We humans and everything else is under Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature), NOT other way around.
At the end of the foregoing Shabad, it is revealed God can be Realized by His Bhagat — ENLIGHTENED Beings who live a Divine Life of Godly Virtues / Wisdom. No other trick will work.
Now, who is ‘Bgagat’? The Gurbani defines the Bhagat as follows:
- ਸੋ ਭਗਤੁ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਜਲਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥ : That person alone is a ‘Bhagat’ of God who follows the Spirituality of the Guru’s Shabad (Upadesh, Message) and burns away his false ego-sense (i.e. Haumai) through the Guru’s Shabad (i.e. Gurmukh Mindset). (sggs 768).
How can one become Bhagat? The Gurbani tells us exactly how anyone through Bhagti can become a Bhagat, here and now – one can become Bhagat by developing the Gurmukh State of the Mind (Enlightenment) through the Shabad:
- ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਭਗਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥੩॥: One who dies in the Shabad, obtains Bhagti ||3|| (sggs 159).
- ਏਹਾ ਭਗਤਿ ਜਨੁ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰੈ ॥: This is Bhagti, (by which) ‘Janu’ (Gurmukh, Daas…) remains dead while yet alive (sggs 364).
- ਨਿਰਮਲ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਨਿਰਾਲੀ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਧੋਵਹਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ ॥: Bhagti that purifies (mind…) is ‘Niraalee’ (Unique). (Through this Unique Bhagti) wash the mind, and the body (i.e. senses: eyes, ears, etc.) with Shabad-Vichaar (sggs 1059).
Now, what is to die in the Shabad?
In short, according to the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS, dying in the Shabad Awakens the Divine Wisdom / Virtues (ਗੁਣ) within, and thus annihilate the bad impact of Bikaar (i.e. lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, etc.). With this Awakening, one is saved from the death of his spiritual or divine life (i.e. Aatmic Maut – ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ).
- ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥: One who dies in the Shabad (i.e., Wisdom, Virtues…), will never again have to die (ਫਿਰ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਵੇਗੀ). (sggs 153).
- ਮਨੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਹਉਮੈ ਤਜੇ ਵਿਕਾਰ ॥: When one’s mind dies in the Shabad gains Knowledge and conviction, and (he) sheds egotism and ‘Vikaar‘ (sggs 162).
Thank you Bhai Sahib ji for sharing your Vichaar.
1. Living Liberated
Profound!!! And deep.
So to overbear him, one needs to be a bhagat and to be a bhagat one has to ….
“become Living Liberated (Jeevanmukta) or dead while alive; it is to remain constantly (ਸਾਸ ਸਾਸ: each and every breadth) linked to the Mool (Source: Joti-Svaroopa, ਸਚ, Truth…) within – to be continually linked to the Aatm-Giaan, Gur-Giaan, Brahm-Giaan, Shabad-Surti, Naam Consciousness, the Treasure or Ocean of Virtues (ਗੁਣਤਾਸ, ਗੁਣੀ ਗਹੀਰ), etc., and live accordingly (i.e., Divine Life, the Gurmukh Lifestyle, ਸਚ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ-Virtues of Truth…)”.
I feel tempted to say that – the ‘Solution’ appears to be more complicated than the ‘Problem’. Maybe that’s why the ‘achievers’ are such a rarety.
I am sure you have some ‘how to’ articles that dwell on the simplification of this Gurbani recommended solution. I guess all I am asking is as to which articles specifically deal with –
How to become Living Liberated?
How to remain constantly linked to the Mool within?
Please provide reference to any articles addressing these two how-to’s.
Comments are closed.