A learner of the true ‘Sikhi’ is never bound by ideology, Karamkaand (i.e., rituals), religious paraphernalia, superstitions, etc. Since he is not blind-minded, he is not ‘sheep follow sheep’ type of person.
However, there are so many anti-Gurmat rituals and superstitions being carried out in the fake Sikhi of the Pujaaree these days!
These anti-Gurmat practices are encouraged, supported, instigated, and propagated by the people who run Gurdwara corporations throughout the world. Collaborators include the crafty Pujaaree system or the Pujaaree groups ( ਮੰਗ ਖਾਣਾਂ ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾਂ) — Ragi, Bhai, Kathaakaar, Deraa-Vaad, Baabaa-Vaad, Sant-Vaad, Jathedaar-Vaad, Takhat-Vaad, foolish scholars, etc.
For example, in hope to get some happiness, many observe certain hours of a day, certain solar or lunar days, or certain months (Sangraand, Massiya, Punniya, etc.) as more auspicious.
The crafty Pujaaree groups sell us a counterfeit god (ਨਕਲੀ ਰੱਬ) who will answer all our prayers, make our fantasies come true, cater to all our wants and free us from fear and distress. To propitiate this fake god, many perform calculated Paath (reading of the SGGS) or hire professional readers to read it for them, offer Langar (kitchen, food), and so on.
Before going any further, it’s worth pointing here that all this nonsense Karamkaand (anti-Gurmat rituals) has been rejected by the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS.
However, the corrupt Pujaaree-Vaad does not want people to become Awake and Aware. Because, this is how the Pujaare makes money and maintains a lavish and freeloading lifestyle by enslaving our greedy and fearful minds!
In this post, I’ll share just one example how the corrupt Pujaare class befools us by taking advantage of our ignorance of the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS. Please share your stories/experiences in the comment section of this post. This may help create Awareness.
I remember this one story from my childhood. It may come a cross as a joke, but it’s not. It’s a true story.
In my native village in India, there lived a Paathee (also spelt Pathi – a professional reader of the SGGS). One day a man from the neighboring village visited him and said:
“Sure, I am available”, said the Paathee.
“How long it would take you to complete a Sahaj Paath?”, inquired the potential client.
“About couple of weeks”, replied the Paathee.
“But, unfortunately, we do not have that much time. We have only couple of days”, said the potential client.
“In that case, I can sell you a Keelee-Tang-Paath (ਕੀਲੀ-ਟੰਗ-ਪਾਠ)”, said the Paathee.
“What is the “Keelee-Tang-Paath“, inquired the customer.
“You see, in my spare time, I do Paath at my home. When done, I tie a knot in a towel and hang it on a Keelee (ਕੀਲੀ). In nutshell, it’s a ready-made Paath (Keetaa Kraaiaa Paath – ਕੀਤਾ ਕਰਾਇਆ ਪਾਠ), explained the Paathee.
For those who are not familiar with this Punjabi word “Keelee” – it’s a peg driven into the wall for hanging clothes.
What a fraud!
Clearly, the Pujaaree’s Sikhi has nothing to do with the “Soch” (thinking, Wisdom, ਵਿਚਾਰਧਾਰਾ…) of Baabaa Nanak or the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS!
If this sort of fraud (falsehood, Pakhand…) in the name of the Gurbani existed several decades ago, just imagine what might be going on in this Internet or digital era!
The Pujaaree-Vaad (priest class, ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾਂ) is crafty by nature. In addition, they are mostly illiterate, corrupt, selfish, greedy, etc.
They will support, encourage, and start any scheme that will generate money and help maintain their luxury lifestyle of freeloading!
The majority of us are ignorant of the Wisdom of the Gurbani. Furthermore, the majority of us are hypocrite (ਪਖੰਡੀ, ਭੇਖੀ… ), imitate others, etc. Also, the majority of us are also fearful, selfish and greedy.
Consequently, with the exception of the “rare” ones (i.e., Gurmukhs), the rest of us are easy pray for the crafty Pujaaree groups!
The Gurbani’s edict is:
- ਪੜਿਐ ਮੈਲੁ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਪੂਛਹੁ ਗਿਆਨੀਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥: The filth is not removed by reading. Go ahead, and ask the Wise ones ||1||. (sggs 39).
After reading/listening, next important step is obtaining true understanding of what has bean read/listened through the sincere Shabad-Vichaar. In other words, the Gurbani needs to be churned and churned…
- ਪੜਿਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਬੁਝਿਐ ਪਾਵਣਾ ॥: Not by reading (books), but through Understanding, is the Mystery Realized. (sggs 148).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਪਸੂ ਭਏ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥੬॥: Without understanding, people become beast (-nature) and demon ||6|| (sggs 224).
- ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਕਛੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪਸੁ ਜਿਉ ਉਦਰੁ ਭਰਉ ॥: Listening to the Gurmat (Shabad-Giaan, Teaching of the Gurbani, etc.), (if) no Spiritual Wisdom (understanding of the Spiritual Life…) wells up within; (then it would be) like a beast (routinely) filling its belly (sggs 685).
The next step after obtaining true understanding of what has bean read/listened is remembering it.
- ਜਹ ਕਰਣੀ ਤਹ ਪੂਰੀ ਮਤਿ ॥ ਕਰਣੀ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਘਟੇ ਘਟਿ ॥੩॥: When one’s ‘Karanee’ (doing, performance, practice…) is right (according to the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom, then this would indicate) there is perfect understanding (ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ, ਅਕਲ). Without ‘Karanee’, (Understanding) remains deficient. ||3|| (sggs 25).
In other words, reading/listening is a mean to an end, NOT an end in itself!
Accordingly, the Gurbani commands us to read/listen with full attention, understanding, and implementation in daily life (Amal).
- ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਇ ਸੁਣਿ ਸਭਨਾ ਨੋ ਕਰਿ ਦਾਨੁ ॥: Listen to the Hari Naam (Wisdom…) paying attention (ਧਿਆਨ ਨਾਲ ਸੁਣ), and (then) share it (i.e., Naam -Wisdom…) all (sggs 135).
- ਸਗੁਨ ਅਪਸਗੁਨ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਲਗਹਿ ਜਿਸੁ ਚੀਤਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥: Good omens and bad omens affect those who do not keep (the Gur: Giaan or Wisdom) in the mind (sggs 401).
- ਸਭੇ ਰੁਤੀ ਚੰਗੀਆ ਜਿਤੁ ਸਚੇ ਸਿਉ ਨੇਹੁ ॥: All the seasons are good, in which love for Rabb Hukam is embraced, are good. (sggs 1015).
- ਦਿਨੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਸਭ ਸੁਹਾਵਣੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ ਜਿਤੁ ਜਪੀਐ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ ॥੫॥: O dear! All my days and nights are blessed when I understand the Naam. ||5|| (432).
- ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਮੁਗਧ ਗਵਾਰ ॥: Only idiots and fools observe the lunar days and the week days (i.e., good and bad, omens). (sggs 843).
- ਮਾਹ ਦਿਵਸ ਮੂਰਤ ਭਲੇ ਜਿਸ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ॥: The months days and moments (Sangraand, etc.) are auspicious when (we) become good (wise, Virtuous…). (sggs 136).
- ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਤਾ ਜਾ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਸਭਿ ਭਰਮਹਿ ਕਾਚੇ ॥੭॥: The lunar days or the week days become beneficial only when (the mind) becomes imbued in Truth (sggs 842).
- ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਸਭਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਹਾਏ ॥: All the lunar days and the week days look beauteous if one contemplates the Shabad (Naam, Upadesh, Wisdom, Virtues, Truth…). (sggs 842).
In short, the Gurmat Giaan or Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) consider all months or days the same (ਇਕ ਸਾਰ). It is one’s corrupt intellect or selfishness that acts superstitious or promotes this corruption in human society. In fact, so called Kal Yuga is nothing what such selfish or corrupt mentality. Baabaa Nanak says:
- ਸੋਈ ਚੰਦੁ ਚੜਹਿ ਸੇ ਤਾਰੇ ਸੋਈ ਦਿਨੀਅਰੁ ਤਪਤ ਰਹੈ ॥ ਸਾ ਧਰਤੀ ਸੋ ਪਉਣੁ ਝੁਲਾਰੇ ਜੁਗ ਜੀਅ ਖੇਲੇ ਥਾਵ ਕੈਸੇ ॥੧॥ ਜੀਵਨ ਤਲਬ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ॥ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਰਵਾਣਾ ਕਰਹਿ ਧਿਙਾਣਾ ਕਲਿ ਲਖਣ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The same moon is rising, the same stars are rising, the same sun is shining, the same earth and the same wind is blowing. (This corrupt state of the mind is) Kal Yuga which plays in the minds of living beings and nowhere else. (O Pandit! Remove from your mind) selfishness (so called Kal Yuga is a state of the mind inflicted with selfishness). (Under the influence of this selfishness) the tyrants oppress (ਜੁਲਮ) the weak and (in their eyes) this tyranny is considered justified. (O Pandit! Selfishness and tyranny on others) Understand these to be (symptoms of a mind’s State called Kali Yuga). (sggs 902).
Hence, only when the Gurbani is fully assimilated will all be well with our minds’ Soch (thinking)!
That is, reading-listening-or-memorizing the Gurbani can only be beneficial if we take the next steps: reflect on it (Shabad-Vichaar), understand it (ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ), remember it, and then live it (“ਕਰਣੀ”-Karanee: ਅਮਲ, application, practice, implementation, etc.).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਬਚਨ ਕਮਾਵਣੇ ਸਚਾ ਏਹੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥: The True Vichaar is to practice the Satgur’s Bachan (Shabad-Upadesh, Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad…). (sggs 52).
Accordingly, we are reminded that the Gurbani is not just a song (“ਗੀਤੁ”), it is “Brahm Beechaar” or Brahm-Giaan (Wisdom)!
- ਲੋਗੁ ਜਾਨੈ ਇਹੁ ਗੀਤੁ ਹੈ ਇਹੁ ਤਉ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬੀਚਾਰ ॥: People think that the (Gur-Shabad) is (an ordinary) song, but it is a “Brahm Beechaar”. (sggs 335).