Although most of us are in search of the Truth (ਸੱਚ), however the name and meaning of Truth differ for different people and differ for the same being at different times!
World-religions and believers at least claim that God is:
- Omnipotent — with unlimited power.
- Omnipresent — whose presence is widespread, everywhere.
The only thing that meets these common parameters is ENERGY.
- ਏਕ ਕਵਾਵੈ ਤੇ ਸਭਿ ਹੋਆ ॥੧॥ : From ONE Source of Energy (Singularity) everything was created. ॥1॥ (sggs 1003).
- ਕੀਤਾ ਪਸਾਉ ਏਕੋ ਕਵਾਉ ॥ : The Universe exploded from ONE Source of Energy (Singularity). (sggs 3).
- ਆਪੇ ਸਚੁ ਕੀਆ ਕਰ ਜੋੜਿ ॥ ਅੰਡਜ ਫੋੜਿ ਜੋੜਿ ਵਿਛੋੜਿ ॥ : The Creator is eternal; He created this universe through His Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Command of Nature). By breaking (BANG!) the cosmic egg-like universe, He created different continents and keeps these separate in their positions. (sggs 839).
This ONE Universal Energy is NON judgmental, without animosity, without fear, and so on.
We are all part of This ONE Universal Energy, described in every culture and civilization. Furthermore, many dimensions of this Universal Energy which people experience or sense they call gods and goddesses.
That said, we humans are always and only Energy beings – our energy being manifested in physical, mental and spiritual forms within us. Particularly we humans are at our best when these three energy forms (physical, mental and spiritual) are synchronized within us. But, in reality, due to a variety of reasons we are rarely in synch with these three energy forms (physical, mental and spiritual) of ourselves and our existence.
The Gurbani asserts if one wishes to discover the secrets of This One Universal Energy, it is necessary to visualize and experience it Within.
The self-serving Pujaaree’s concocted or created concept of God is: God is sitting ‘up there’ or ‘out there’ in so called heavens or Sachkhand; God is separate from man or Creation; God has human like characteristics (emotions, wants, needs etc.); God needs humanity to worship Him; God can be pleased or displeased, quick to get angry on people; can only be met afterlife or after death etc.
However, in Sikhi, there is NO such nonsensical or illogical concept of God sitting ‘up there’ or ‘out there’ separate from man or Creation etc.
It is so because in Sikhi Creator and Creation are one and the same. Here is the Gurmat’s edict (ਫੈਸਲਾ):
- ਏਕ ਰੂਪ ਸਗਲੋ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥: One form extended into everything. (sggs 803).
- ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਵਸਿਆ ॥ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ਲਖਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (O Creator I), pay obeisance to You who resides within ‘Kudrat’ (Nature…). Your limits cannot be comprehended. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 469).
- ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਵਖਤੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੇ ਸੁ ਬੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ॥: Having created Kudrat, (Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature etc.) the Creator Himself resides within it. (A Sikh must focus on this Reality because) to focus on this Reality during Spiritual Journey in life is to recognize oneself as a human being. (sggs 83).
- ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਆਪੁ ਸਾਜਿਓ ਆਪੀਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੈ ਰਚਿਓ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਦੁਯੀ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਸਾਜੀਐ ਕਰਿ ਆਸਣੁ ਡਿਠੋ ਚਾਉ ॥: (O Creator!) You are self-created, then You setup Your Existence – You exist within Your Creation; Creation is manifestation of You. (O Creator! After self-creating) secondly You Created Kudrat (System-Rule-Law of Nature) and You reside within it and delight. (sggs 463).
The Gurbani’s universal Message of ONENESS thus brings the Entire humanity into spirituality!
* A note on gender: As we will see in the pages that lie ahead, finding a pronoun for God isn’t easy. For the ease of writing and reading, this site uses ‘he’. As God or Rabb is infinite invisible domain, calling God or Rabb He or She is just a human convention. But surely God transcends all gender. Even if I had rotated three different pronouns — he, she, and it — but that would not have gotten any nearer to the truth, and it would have made for very clumsy reading.
The Gurus and Bhagat have used terms that were already within the use and within the psyche of people of the time. However, they have used these terms as examples (ਹਵਾਲਾ), but explicitly with new meanings and understanding to fit the new and unique spiritual paradigms of Sikhi or Gurmat (Wisdom, Giaan, Upadesh, Sikhiaa, or Way of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS); NOT to regurgitate the stale that existed then!
We humans generally personify God as convenient way of making Him* more like our fancies, imaginations, desires, selfishness, greed, mindset etc.
In addition, different cultures have different ideas or concepts of God!
Furthermore, on account of diversified activities or qualities of the ONE Creative Universal Energy, people call God by many names (e.g. Rabb, Parmaatam, Truth, Allah, Kudrat, Hukam, Akaal, Gobind, Hari, Raam, Paarbrahm, Parmeshar etc.).
Also, people call or explain it differently because that’s what they have been told from their childhood.
For example, God of Muslims is different for they were told so by their paid clergy (Pujaaree). Similarly, God of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists etc. is different for they were told so by their respective paid clergy.
Similarly, the Sikh Pujaaree (clergy: Granthis, Parcharaks, Ragis, Dhadees etc.) and the freeloading Deraa-Vaad Baabaas (ਵੇਹਲੜ) talks about their God separate from man sitting somewhere up there in ‘Sach Khand’ / ‘Sachkhand‘!
According to the Gurbani, God has no proper name. All his names are ‘Kirtam-ਕਿਰਤਮ’ names — description of his perceived Virtues (adjectives) by his Bhagat or children. Thus the foolish claim or debate that God has ‘one’ proper name (e.g. Waheguru) is rejected by the Gurbani. All Names from different traditions (i.e. Hindu, Muslim, Yogi, Bhagati etc.) created by humans have been accepted by the Gurus and included in the Gurbani.
- ਕਿਰਤਮ ਨਾਮ ਕਥੇ ਤੇਰੇ ਜਿਹਬਾ ॥ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਪਰਾ ਪੂਰਬਲਾ ॥: (O Creator!) All names uttered by the tongue are all Your descriptive names (which your children have created or made-up describing Your diversified activities or Virtues in Kudrat). Your first or primary Virtue is ‘Sat-ਸਤਿ’ — permanently in existence. (sggs 1083).
Also, according to the Gurbani (SGGS), God is Unfathomable. Therefore, the entirety of the One Creator is beyond our Realization.
- ਤੂ ਦਰੀਆਉ ਦਾਨਾ ਬੀਨਾ ਮੈ ਮਛੁਲੀ ਕੈਸੇ ਅੰਤੁ ਲਹਾ ॥ : I am merely a fish in the Unfathomable Ocean that is You, how can I ever fathom You in entirety? (sggs 25).
Therefore God’s name in Gurmat is meant for understanding, not for robotic or mechanical chanting etc. In short, it is meant for BECOMING (God-like Virtues) — BECOMING NAAM ( i.e. Virtues / Wisdom), Realizing Naam within, inculcating Naam Within, or Internalizing Naam within.
- ਏਤੁ ਰਾਹਿ ਪਤਿ ਪਵੜੀਆ ਚੜੀਐ ਹੋਇ ਇਕੀਸ ॥: In this Way of spiritual Journey one can climb the spiritual ladder (i.e. Elevate his Consciousness) to BECOME one with Rabb within. (sggs 7).
Pujaaree’s concocted God is distinct from man and everything else
Every human is born with an innate urge to know something higher. This higher entity is called ‘God’. Until Baabaa Nanak came to this world in history, both Semitic and Indian religions described God (or Gods) as an anthropomorphic entity. This clergy-manufactured God was (and still is) sitting in faraway heavens as a majestic human figure micromanaging human affairs down on the earth!
Five centuries ago, Baabaa Nanak began his preaching by alerting people against this clergy-manufactured God or Gods. As a logical alternative, he preached his Unique and Revolutionary Spirituality describing God as a virtual reality that has manifested itself in all creations, everywhere and in everything. This God of Virtues is realized by becoming Enlightened with the Blessing of the Giaan-Eternal Spiritual Wisdom.
- ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਪਸਰਿਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥: Nanak, the One ‘Ekankaar’ (God) has manifested in the creation in the so many ways. (sggs 296).
That being said, the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS reminds the entire humanity that God or Rabb as Universal Energy is NOT external, separate, distant or isolated FROM MAN!
Hence, the Gurmat’s God is real and useful for the entire humanity!
To the contrary, however, the Pujaaree’s (i.e. paid clerics or clergy etc.) manufactured or counterfeit God is external, separate, distant or isolated from man.
Hence, since the Pujaaree’s concocted God is neither real nor useful, the Gurbani (SGGS) rejects it:
- ਭੈਰਉ ਭੂਤ ਸੀਤਲਾ ਧਾਵੈ ॥ ਖਰ ਬਾਹਨੁ ਉਹੁ ਛਾਰੁ ਉਡਾਵੈ ॥੧॥ ਹਉ ਤਉ ਏਕੁ ਰਮਈਆ ਲੈਹਉ ॥ ਆਨ ਦੇਵ ਬਦਲਾਵਨਿ ਦੈਹਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਿਵ ਸਿਵ ਕਰਤੇ ਜੋ ਨਰੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਬਰਦ ਚਢੇ ਡਉਰੂ ਢਮਕਾਵੈ ॥੨॥ ਮਹਾ ਮਾਈ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਨਰ ਸੈ ਨਾਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਅਉਤਰੈ ॥੩॥ ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥੪॥ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮ ਗਹੁ ਮੀਤਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਨਾਮਾ ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਗੀਤਾ ॥੫॥੨॥੬॥ : (See Rahaou verse for the core Message of the Shabad – I have given up all clergy created Gods because the clergy claims that) accepting Bhairon as one’s Spiritual object makes one demonic; while accepting the donkey riding Seetla leads one to kick up dust aplenty. ॥1॥ I accept only the One Beautiful Creator as my Spiritual object; I have given up all clergy-created Gods in exchange. ||1||Rahaou-Pause|| (I have given up all clergy created Gods because the clergy claims that) chanting and meditating on Shiv as one’s Spiritual object makes one take on the bull-riding and drum-beating attributes of Shiv. ॥2॥ (I have given up all clergy created Gods because the clergy claims that) worshiping the great female Goddess causes her worshippers to reincarnate as females.॥3॥ (I have given up all clergy created Gods because) O clergy, you also claim that Durga is the original provider of Spiritual liberation, but when it comes to your own liberation, why haven’t you obtained it? ॥4॥ O Mind, Realize the Omnipresent Creator by Basing Your Spirituality On Divine Naam (Wisdom / Virtues) and by relying on Gurmat (the Guidance of the Shabad); Namdev Says O Clergy, even your own Spiritual text Geeta (that you have discarded) is in agreement. ॥5॥ (sggs 874).
In addition, there are as many gods as many organized religions and their Pujaare systems (paid clergy…) — every religion (ਮਜ਼ਹਬ-Mazhab) has its own separate God, sitting somewhere up there!
Thus a separate God from man is a blunder created by the self-serving Pujaaree systems of all organized religions — paid clergy, the crafty or doubt-ridden man, the foolish so called religious scholars, the illiterate band of Deraa-Vaad, and so on!
- ਲੋਗਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਨ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : The Creation (Khalak) is within the Creator (Khaalik), and the Creator is within the Creation, totally and absolutely pervading and permeating all places. O people! Anything and everything to the contrary is simply an illusion. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 1350).
As a result, although we quote Shabads from the SGGS but we use definition from others, from texts outside of the SGGS (i.e. ‘Kachee Bani-ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ’) etc.
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਿਨਾ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਬਾਣੀ ਤ ਕਚੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਹੋਰ ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਕਹਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਸੁਣਦੇ ਕਚੇ ਕਚੀ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੀ ॥ : The Bani uttered by anybody other than the Satguru is ‘Kachee‘ (half baked; filth; useless; lies, false, devoid of divine Wisdom etc.). Yes, without being uttered or approved by the Satguru, all other Bani is ‘Kachee‘. False are the reciters (of ‘Kachee Bani), false are the listeners (of ‘Kachee Bani); false are those who discourse on ‘Kachee‘ Bani. (sggs 920).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਰੀਸੈ ਹੋਰਿ ਕਚੁ ਪਿਚੁ ਬੋਲਦੇ ਸੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਕੂੜੇ ਝੜਿ ਪੜੀਐ ॥
ਓਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਹੋਰੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਰੁ ਹੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਨੋ ਝਖਿ ਮਰਦੇ ਕੜੀਐ ॥ : Emulating the Satguru, some false ones utter indefensible and false words, but because of their falsehood they fall from grace (i.e. they cannot emulate Satgur and their falsehood stands exposed). (sggs 304).
Confused, some search God in graves, some search God in tombs and cremation grounds, some wander at the Deraas of freeloaders in search of God etc. because people read the Gurbani but without deeper understanding.
Thinking God will also be with a large or protruding belly, floating beard, and velvety clothes sitting in a basement or on a couch in a luxurious room.
- ਦਰੋਗੁ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਖੁਸੀ ਹੋਇ ਬੇਖਬਰ ਬਾਦੁ ਬਕਾਹਿ ॥ ਹਕੁ ਸਚੁ ਖਾਲਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਮਿਆਨੇ ਸਿਆਮ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੨॥: Ignorant people read and read (scriptures without understanding) and feel happy (in their bloated false ego-sense), and they speak nonsense. (But they do not know that) the True ‘Khaalak’ (Creator, Universal Energy… also) dwells in its creation; (neither Khaalak is sitting on a separate seventh heaven etc.) nor Khaalak is an idol of Krishna of legends. ||2|| (sggs 727).
- ਸਾਚੁ ਕਤੇਬ ਬਖਾਨੈ ਅਲਹੁ ਨਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਪਢੇ ਗੁਨੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਬਉਰੇ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਖਬਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥: (O Qazi) your holy scriptures say that Allah is True (Truth, eternal, ਸਦਾ ਕਾਇਮ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲਾ etc.), and that he is neither male nor female (but you still consider the woman low). You gain nothing by reading and studying, O mad (Qazi), if you don’t gain this Understanding (ਸੂਝ) in your heart / mind (that the same God is within all). ||2|| (sggs 483).
The Gurmat’s God is NOT distinct from man and everything else – the creator is within the Entire creation
The Gurmat teaches us that the ONE Creator or Hukam is NOT SEPARATE, isolated or distant from man!
The Gurmat’s Rabb is This UNIVERSAL ENERGY — Hukam (i.e. System-Rule-Law of Nature), the infinite source of energy and creativity that is manifested in all of the Existence, Nature or Kudrat.
- ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥ : Everyone is subject to the Creator’s Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature), none is outside of His Hukam. Nanak, If one Realizes His Hukam Within, then one does not behave egotistically — upon Realizing the Hukam within, false perception that I exist outside of His Hukam ceases to be. ॥2॥ (sggs 1).
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮੋ ਪਸਾਰਾ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਸਰਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟੀ ਆਇਆ ॥: This expanse is of the One Brahm (One Universal Energy, Hukam…); One Brahm is spread through it everywhere. (Contemplating the Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad), all I see is the One Brahm everywhere I look. (sggs 982).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਦੀਸੈ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਪਸਾਰੁ ॥: By becoming the Gurmukh, (this whole universe) seems to be the expanse of Brahm (i.e. One Universal Energy, Hukam…). (sggs 1270).
- ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਜਿਨਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਤਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਭੇਦੁ ਜਾਤਾ ॥੫॥੯॥ : Says Nanak – one who has recognized the Hukam, that person has understood the mystery of ‘Prabh Saahib‘ (i.e. Universal Energy…). ॥5॥9॥ (sggs 885).
Guru Arjan Ji explains to us that Rabb is without form-shape-color-mark, detached, and beyond the influence of the three qualities of Maya. Again, the only thing that meets these common parameters is ENERGY!
- ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਰੇਖ ਨ ਰੰਗੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਗੁਣ ਤੇ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਿੰਨ ॥: The Creator has no form, no shape, no color and is free from the three qualities of Maya (i.e. Rajo, Tamo, Sato). (sggs 283).
- ਆਪ ਹੀ ਧਾਰਨ ਧਾਰੇ ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਹੈ ਦੇਖਾਰੇ ਬਰਨੁ ਚਿਹਨੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਮੁਖ ਨ ਮਸਾਰੇ ॥: (O Rabb, Hukam, Universal Energy…!) the entire Creation is standing on Your support (i.e. Creation is not standing on the support of any other incarnationist who calls himself God). You can be seen in your own Kudrat. None of your color and mark or sign can be told by the word of mouth. (sggs 1386).
God as the Universal Energy is also said to be: Unborn (‘ਅਜੂਨੀ’), Undying (‘ਅਕਾਲ’), Unchanging (‘ਨਿਹਚਲੁ’), Manifest and Unmanifest (‘ਨਿਰਗੁਣੁ-ਸਰਗੁਣੁ’), Immeasurable (‘ਅਤੋਲੁ’), Invisible (‘ਅਲਖੁ’), Intangible, Infinite (‘ਅਪਾਰਾ’), Inscrutable (‘ਅਭੇਵਾ’), Inaccessible (‘ਅਗਮ’) etc.
Sikhi or Gurmat of Baabaa Nanak categorically rejects the incarnation of God in human or any living form. The Opening Verse of SGGS describes God as Ajuni, meaning God does not come into anthropomorphic forms (does not incarnate, beyond death and birth):
- ਸੋ ਮੁਖੁ ਜਲਉ ਜਿਤੁ ਕਹਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਜੋਨੀ ॥੩॥ : May that mouth burn, which says that God incarnates. ||3|| (sggs 1136).
- ਸਤਗੁਰੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਕਾ ਕਰਿ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਜਾਨੁ ॥ : Satguru (God) is Niranjan (beyond Maya – without material content). Do not believe that It is in the form of man. (sggs 895).
Furthermore, the Gurbani teaches the Creator (Hukam) pervades in sky, earth, every drop of water, every grain of sand, in every bit of atmosphere, in every leaf, and the life throb in every being in the Existence or Kudrat.
- ਕਰਤੇ ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਮੁਸਤਾਕੁ ॥: O Kartaar (Rabb, Universal Energy…)! Only by seeing Your Kudrat (System-Rule-Law of Nature…) I am in love with you (longing for…). (sggs 724).
- ਮਨ ਤੁਆਨਾ ਤੂ ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਆਇਆ ॥: (O Khuda, Rabb, God…!) You are omnipotent/powerful, I have come (into the world) through Your Kudrat (System-Rule-Law of Nature……). (sggs 1291).
God is as we are
That being said, since God as Universal Energy is NOT separate from us, God is as we are!
For example, if a person is ignorant, identified by Haumai or false ego-sense, vengeful, deceptive, capricious, greedy, quick to anger, slave of Maya, lustful, delusional, jealous, Pakhandee (hypocrite), Karamkaandi (rituals etc.), fool or ignorant, judgmental, slave of senses, crafty, fearful, cruel, Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree etc. then that person will see God at the level of material reality – the world of objects etc.
On the other hand, for example, if a person is spiritual achiever (i.e. Gurmukh, Daas, Bhagat, Jan…), Awake and Aware, enlightened, pious, fearless, calm, detached, peaceful, understanding, wise, blissful, truthful, joyful, forgiving, Bibeki, merciful, virtuous, inclusive, nonjudgmental, accepting, tolerant, Mool or Source abiding, content, intuitive, graceful etc. then that person will see God differently – as Universal Energy, Source, virtual reality, beyond time and space, Hukam, etc.
In short, we as ‘Jiva‘ (individial beings) are at the quantum level, which is the doorway to God or Rabb (Source, Universal Energy, Hukam, virtual reality, ਨਿਯਮ…).
The Gurbani clarifies as follows:
- ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥: (O Human being!) You have been blessed with a human body. This is your only opportunity to unite with the Creator. Other worldly deeds (e.g. Karamkaand, rituals, formalities, concocted concepts etc.) are of no use to you in realizing God. Therefore join the holy congregation (i.e. Satsangee Jan, seekers) and lovingly remember the divine Naam (Virtues / Wisdom). ||1|| (sggs 12).
In other words, God or Rabb’s reality doesn’t stand apart from our perceptions but is woven into them (‘Oti Poti-ਓਤਿ ਪੋਤਿ’)!
- ਓਤਿ ਪੋਤਿ ਜਗੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਪਰੋਈ ॥ : (God or Universal Energy) is woven into the creation like warp and woof in a fabric. (sggs 841).
To say it otherwise, we participate in God all the time without acknowledging it!
If we ask the Gurbani:
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥ : This is what Nanak says: O my mind, you are the ‘Jot Saroop’ or embodiment of Light (God)! Recognize your Mool (ORIGIN, Source…) ||5|| (sggs 441).
It means from God’s or Rabb’s side, the merging takes place in a split second. The mind was part (‘Ansh‘) of the Source or Mool all along, only without knowing it!
The Gurbani confirms it:
- ਏਕੁ ਧਿਆਵਹੁ ਮੂੜ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਮਨਾ ॥ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਇਕ ਖਿਨਾਂ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : O ignorant mind! Contemplate the ONE (Source, Mool, Hukam, Universal Energy, virtual reality…). (With the blessing of contemplation, you) will cross over (Bhav Saagar) in A MOMENT. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 1169).
Human mind is hardwired to realize Gurmat’s God, Here and Now, within!
- ਕਾਹੇ ਰੇ ਬਨ ਖੋਜਨ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਸਦਾ ਅਲੇਪਾ ਤੋਹੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਪੁਹਪ ਮਧਿ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਸੁ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਮੁਕਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਜੈਸੇ ਛਾਈ ॥ ਤੈਸੇ ਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਬਸੇ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਘਟ ਹੀ ਖੋਜਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਨਹੁ ਇਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਬਤਾਈ ॥ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਆਪਾ ਚੀਨੈ ਮਿਟੈ ਨ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੀ ਕਾਈ ॥੨॥੧॥ : (O mind!) Why search the Creator outside in the forest? (The Creator) who is omnipresent but always detached (from the influence of Maya), is always Within you. ||1||Pause|| Just as fragrance resides in a flower and reflection in the mirror, similarly the Creator resides within all; O brothers, search Him Within. ||1|| The Guru has imparted this understanding — realize the presence of the same One Creator both within you and outside in everything. ‘Jan’ Nanak says, without KNOWING one’s ownself, the moss of doubt from the mind does not go away. ||2||1|| (sggs 684).
Once we understand this Universal Message of the Gurmat, we will treat Creation with love, care, respect and humanely.
Also, since we humans are part of the same ONE Rabb, the SGGS has revealed and established this Universal Truth that whether female or male, in no way is the status of one of them is less than the other.
Distinctions, differences, divisions, or duality exist only so long the tainted mind’s conditioning persists.
The Gurbani teaches as the deluded mind stabilizes in its True Nature (Jot Saroop), it again transcends all labels of duality.
- ਪੁਰਖ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਰਿ ਨਾਰਿ ਮਹਿ ਪੁਰਖਾ ਬੂਝਹੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥ ਧੁਨਿ ਮਹਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨ ਮਹਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਨੀ ॥੩॥ : (O the contemplator of Giyan-Wisdom) understand this — women are born from male semen and it is in a woman’s womb that a man lives during pregnancy. It is by becoming the Gurmukh (Enlightened, Guru-Oriented), one focuses his/her mind on living life accordingly and realizes the Indescribable (Universal Hukam, Kudrat, Creator…). ||3|| (sggs 879).
- ਕਵਨ ਮੂਲ ਤੇ ਮਾਨੁਖੁ ਕਰਿਆ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਤਾਪੁ ਤੁਹਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : (O Creator / Hukam!) It is Your power that you made human being from a drop of father’s semen and the mother’s egg. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 1220).
- ਹੁਕਮੇ ਉਪਜੈ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥ : What is created according to the Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature, ਕੁਦਰਤ ਦਾ ਅਟੱਲ ਨਿਯਮ…) is ultimately absorbed according to the order Hukam. (sggs 277).
In short, call by whatever name you like, the Gurbani asserts God, Rabb or Hukam isn’t a particular person sitting somewhere on a lofty island or planet.
Instead, God is a process and Human mind is hardwired to realize That!
Billions years ago, the very first biological species appeared. Since then, human evolution is the lengthy process of change — a long journey! It took billions of years for modern humans to evolve (Homo sapiens, means ‘wise man’ in Latin)!
- ਚਿਰੰਕਾਲ ਇਹ ਦੇਹ ਸੰਜਰੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: After so very long (journey-evolution) you got this (human-) body. (sggs 176).
- ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਵਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਪਵਨੈ ਤੇ ਜਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਇ ॥: From Hukam (System-Rule-Law of Nature…) came (the subtle element of) air, and from air came water. The whole world was created from water, and the Universal Energy or ‘Jot‘ is contained in all beings (of this world). (sggs 19).
In short, from the Hukam become the subtle element of wind, from wind came water into existence, from water the whole world was created, and the light of Rabb or Universal Energy is absorbed in every atom and being of this created world.
- ਹੁਕਮੇ ਦੀਸੈ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥ : (A person who has become Gurmukh) sees that the whole world is born in Hukam. (sggs 1037).
- ਪਵਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਮਾਤਾ ਧਰਤਿ ਮਹਤੁ ॥ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਰਾਤਿ ਦੁਇ ਦਾਈ ਦਾਇਆ ਖੇਲੈ ਸਗਲ ਜਗਤੁ ॥: Air is as essential for the body as is the Guru for the Mind, water is like the father and earth is like the great mother of the entire world — in the spiritual sense, the Guru (i.e. Shabad) is the Origin (‘ਪਿਤਾ ਮਾਤਾ’), Nurturer (‘ਧਰਤਿ ਮਹਤੁ’) and sustainer (‘ਪਵਣੁ’, ‘ਪਾਣੀ’) of my Spiritual Life. Days and nights are like male and female nurses in whose lap the entire world is playing the role assigned to each one in the worldly play — in the spiritual sense, (the Guru-Shabad is the) Guidance for Conduct (of my spirituality) from my beginning and at all times for all my spiritual life. (sggs 8).
- ਪਉਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਪਾਣੀ ਪਿਤ ਜਾਤਾ ॥ ਉਦਰ ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਤਾ ॥: Pavan(u) Guru Paanee Pit Jaataa… (sggs 1021).
Gurmat’s God is gender-neutral
In essence, as the Universal Energy, the Gurbani teaches neither God or Rabb is a male (man) sitting somewhere on a throne in the sky nor a female (woman) floating on a lotus flower!
- ਨਾਰਿ ਨ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨ ਪੰਖਣੂ ਸਾਚਉ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਸਰੂਪੁ ॥: (Rabb, Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature) is eternal, a mass of intellect (female, male, bird etc. are present in Him) but He is not a special woman, not a special man, not a special bird. He is an embodiment of Intellect. (sggs 1010).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਹਰਾ ਏਕੋ ਸਚਾ ਸੋਇ ॥: Nanak, it is only the One Creator who has been there without going through the womb of a woman. (sggs 473).
- ਨਾ ਇਹੁ ਮਾਨਸੁ ਨਾ ਇਹੁ ਦੇਉ ॥: (Rabb, Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature is neither man nor deity. (sggs 871).
- ਕਿਸੁ ਤੂੰ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਜੋਰੂ ਕਉਣ ਕਹੀਐ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਰਵਿ ਰਹਿਆ ॥੨॥ : (O Rabb, Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature!) You are not the husband of a special woman, no woman is your wife, you are present in all beings. ||2|| (sggs 350).
- ਨਾਰੀ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸਭ ਨਾਰੀ ਸਭੁ ਏਕੋ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੇ ॥: All women and men, all the men and women, there is only one omnipresent God everywhere. (sggs 983)
- ਧਰਣਿ ਗਗਨ ਨਹ ਦੇਖਉ ਦੋਇ ॥ ਨਾਰੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਸਬਾਈ ਲੋਇ ॥੩॥: In the entire universe, I see none other than the One Creator. In all woman and man, His light shines. ||3|| (sggs 223).
Hence, in short, after centuries of talking and listening about God through blind faith and self-serving Pujaaree Systems, the Wisdom of the SGGS helps us understand Rabb DIRECTLY!
- ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਹੈ ਸੋਇ ॥ ਤਿਸ ਕੈ ਚਾਨਣਿ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥ : The light flowing in everyone is from the same Supreme Light (i.e. the One Creator). The Light that aluminates all is from the same (One Creator). (sggs 663).
Anything subjective must involve the brain. Accordingly all forms, shapes or names appear in our worldly or Mayaic consciousness as appearances.
On account of the movement of thoughts or words on the surface of the Pool of Jot Saroop or the the Original Nature, beings overwhelmed by the enchanting Maya create divisions out of the Totality (‘Saabat‘).
- ਆਖਣੁ ਸੁਨਣਾ ਪਉਣ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਰਤਾ ਮਾਇਆ ॥: (So long) the mind is in love with Maya, listening to spiritual discourse is like the sough of the wind (in one ear and out the other). (sggs 24).
- ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬੋਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਮਨ ਮਾਰੇ ਬਿਨੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥: Every human being speaks with the motivation of the mind (meaning, for whatever we think or do the motivation is from the mind itself). Without killing the mind, Bhagati does not happen ||2|| (sggs 329).
This worldly or Mayaic mind has its own vocabulary or language. In fact, in the form of words, language is the mind! When the Life-Force‘ Praan) has left the body or is not in the body, there is also no mind or speech or words!
- ਜਹਾ ਬੋਲ ਤਹ ਅਛਰ ਆਵਾ ॥ ਜਹ ਅਬੋਲ ਤਹ ਮਨੁ ਨ ਰਹਾਵਾ ॥ ਬੋਲ ਅਬੋਲ ਮਧਿ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਜਸ ਓਹੁ ਹੈ ਤਸ ਲਖੈ ਨ ਕੋਈ ॥੨॥ : The phenomenon that can be described, the letters are used (only) there. That state which is beyond description (i.e. when there is immersion in Rabb, Naam, Hukam:System-Rule-Law of Nature etc.) there (the narrator) mind (itself) does not remain. Where letters can be used (i. e. the state which can be described) and the state which cannot be described (i.e. the state of immersion in Rabb, Naam, Hukam etc.) — in these (both states) Rabb (Universal Energy) Itself is. No one can describe (exactly-ਹੂਬਹੂ) as It is. ||2|| (sggs 344).
In addition, it is also said to be Formless-Spaceless-Timeless, which sees the Whole (Saabat) in the part and the part as totally related to the Whole (Saabat). The Gurbani points to the state of Mool-abidance that we are urged to realize within by becoming the Gurmukh. Before the rise of the phantom of the mind (Haumai…), that’s what the mind was! However, the mind separated from its Mool perceives duality: male or female, Dukh or Sukh, suffering or Joy, and so on.
In a nutshell, according to the SGGS, the mind’s Mool is neither male nor female.
- ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੀਸੈ ਏਕੋ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਨਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਨਮਾ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਦਾ ॥੪॥: (Before creation or before the rise of the mind or Mayaic consciousness) there was only ONE (Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature…), and no one else was visible. Neither there was female, nor male, nor body, nor birth nor did any one suffer pain or pleasure ||4|| (sggs 1035). Then there was no woman, there was no man, there was no caste, no one was born in any caste, and no one was there to experience pain or pleasure. ||4|| (sggs 1035).
Simply put: When the mind is completely stabilized in its Mool as Original Nature — beyond the pluralistic principle of Maya or duality (i.e. the pair of opposites: male or female etc.) — it is one with Rabb or Hukam.
- ਜਹ ਅਛਲ ਅਛੇਦ ਅਭੇਦ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਊਹਾ ਕਿਸਹਿ ਬਿਆਪਤ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ : When (the mind is contained) in the (Mool, which is) Undeceivable, Impregnable, Impenetrable; then how Maya can pervade him there? (sggs 291).
- ਏਹੁ ਮਨੂਆ ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਲਗਾਵੈ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਈ ॥੧੬॥: (For those within whom the Gur Shabad abides) this mind creates such concentration (ਇਕਾਗ੍ਰਤਾ) where the thoughts of Maya do not arise, their (mind) is absorbed in its Jot Saroop (i.e. Mool). (sggs 910).
Neither male nor female? This sounds pretty strange, paradoxical, and even incongruous to our conditioned mind which opposes the Hukam, follows unauthenticated Bani (i.e. ‘ਕਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ-Kachee Bani‘) and thus creates divisions (duality) where there is none.
Simply put: The Gurmat Wisdom wants us to clearly understand that, as its Mool or Jot Saroop, one is neither a male nor a female. To call oneself a male or a female is simply a bodily or Mayaic expression — identification with the gross body-frame.
- ਜਾ ਕੈ ਜੀਅ ਜੈਸੀ ਬੁਧਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਾਨੈਗਾ ਸੋਈ ॥੪੫॥: Says Kabeer! According to the intellect (Budhi, ਅਕਲ…) within the mind, so does one come to understand. ||45|| (sggs 343).
Hence, the Gurbani’s Instructions for our mind separated from its Mool for the sake of enjoying or engaging in sensuous activity is to become firmly re-stabilized in its Mool again, here and now — not after death of the physical body.
- ਸੁੰਨ ਮੰਡਲ ਇਕੁ ਜੋਗੀ ਬੈਸੇ ॥ ਨਾਰਿ ਨ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕੋਊ ਕੈਸੇ ॥: When there was no creation, ONE God was present (not in human sense). This One God is neither Male nor female, (since this ONE God is not a prson) then how can anyone describe Him in that sense. (sggs 685).
- ਵਾਹੁ ਵਾਹੁ ਕਾ ਬਡਾ ਤਮਾਸਾ ॥ … ਆਪੇ ਨਰੁ ਆਪੇ ਫੁਨਿ ਨਾਰੀ ਆਪੇ ਸਾਰਿ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਪਾਸਾ ॥ ਕੀਆ ਖੇਲੁ ਬਡ ਮੇਲੁ ਤਮਾਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਤੇਰੀ ਸਭ ਰਚਨਾ ॥: This most wonderful show (creation, play, sport…) of the ‘Wahu Wahu‘ (Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature) is happening. … (In accordance with the the Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature) male and female are born and sustained. Therefore consider the Creator in conjunction with the Creator’s own creation, He is the Greatest Creator and the most Amazing is His creations. (sggs 1403).
- ਆਪੇ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਨਾਰੀ ॥ : (O Creator) You yourself are (every) male and You Yourself (every) female. (sggs 1020).
- ਤੂੰ ਮੇਰਾ ਪਿਤਾ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਾਤਾ ॥ : (O Creator) You are my Father, You are my Mother. (sggs 103).
- ਭ੍ਰਮ ਛੂਟੇ ਤੇ ਏਕੰਕਾਰ ॥੩॥: When all doubts are gotten rid of, then what remains is the ONE — the Creative Universal Energy or Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature). (sggs 736).
- ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਏਕਸ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਏਕਸ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਭ ਧੰਧੁ ਹੈ ਸਭ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਮਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : O my mind, focus your Conscious on the One (Creator). Without (focusing the mind on) One, the whole (of the worldly love or entanglements) becomes a commercial transaction (ਧੰਧਾ), and Maya’s attachment (or hunger) is also totally Mithiya. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 44).
Baabaa Nanak’s revolutionary and unique Message to Sikhs is to become yourself as God is
Babaa Nanak urges Sikhs to forget the rubbish of exclusive ownership of each organized religions as to only their God is greater or superior to others etc.
What a revolutionary and unique Message indeed!
- ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਐਸਾ ਚਾਹੀਐ ਜੈਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਹੀ ਹੋਇ ॥੧੪੯॥: ‘Hari Janu’ (Bhagat, Daas, Gurmukh….) should be such (that while dealing with the world, he should keep his nature so steadfast) that there should be no difference between it and God. ||149||. (sggs 1372).
- ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਸੋ ਹਰਿ ਜੇਹਾ ॥ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਦੇਹਾ ॥: Hari’s Sewak (Daas, Jan, Bhagat, Gurmukh, who live a divine Life) becomes Hari-like (Rabb-like or God-like). Seeing his human body, don’t think of him as different from Rabb or God. (sggs 1076).
In Short, in the Gurmat or Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak:
- The CREATOR (Haakam, Hukmi, God) is Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then His HUKAM for us is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then His GRACE is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the JUDGE is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the JUDGEMENT is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the REALIZATION is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the NAAM (Wisdom / Virtues…) is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the DARBAAR (Court) is also Within.
- If the Creator is Within, then the Divine KINGDOM is also Within (‘Begam Puraa-ਬੇਗਮ ਪੁਰਾ’).