The Unique spirituality of the Shabad (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) teaches us Dharma of the divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ).
In fact God in Sikhi or Gurmat — depicted in the Unique Spirituality of the Shabad (SGGS) — is a collection of divine Virtues!
The entire Sri Guru Granth Sahib provides us a whole gamut of Virtues attributed to the ONE God.
All Names given to God are in fact divine Virtues. In other words, every Name the Gurus, Bhagats and seekers have given to God are in terms of the divine Virtues.
In short, the ONE Creator / Hukam is defined in the Gurbani (SGGS) in terms of the divine Virtues. The Primary Virtues of God is that He is ‘Karataa Purakh-ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖ’ = CREATOR BEING.
That being said, in Sikhi, the Realization of the ONE Creator WITHIN and seeing Him in everyone comes through the process of acquisition of the divine Virtues in life and then living them when transacting with the outside world of objects, sphere of emotions, and the realm of thoughts. — BECOMING the VIRTUES.
- ਅਸਮਾਨ ਮ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਾਨੇ ਲਹੰਗ ਦਰੀਆ ਗੁਸਲ ਕਰਦਨ ਬੂਦ ॥: In the mind, a stream flows (i.e., the stream of Virtues, Wisdom, Amrit, Truth, Universal Energy…); take your bath in it. (sggs 727).
In a nutshell, Sikhi is Way of life — a Unique Way of spiritual life based on the spirituality of the Gur-Shabad (SGGS).
Furthermore, the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS reveals to us that certain spiritualities or organized religions are valid for certain period of time or era.
- ਜੁਗਿ ਜੁਗਿ ਆਪੋ ਆਪਣਾ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਧਿ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਬੇਦ ਪੁਰਾਨਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨੀ ਧਿਆਇਆ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਗਿ ਤੇ ਪੂਰੇ ਪਰਵਾਨਾ ॥੩॥ : Carefully study Vedas and Puranas and see that certain spiritualities are valid for certain period of time (i.e. certain era, age). (But) those contemplate the divine Virtues through the spirituality of the Shabad are successful (authenticated etc.) (sggs 797).
However, the Message contained in the spirituality of the Shabad is Universal and valid for all times — it applies to all places and all people in the world.
For example, if something is addressed to a Muslim, it also equally applies to all Sikhs, Hindus, Yogis and everybody else in the world. If something is addressed to a Hindu, it also equally applies to all Sikhs and everybody else in the world.
Often misunderstood, Sikhi is not a combination or offshoot of any other religion (Mazhab-ਮਜ਼ਹਬ).
Instead, it’s a Unique and Revolutionary ‘Soch‘ (thinking) of all 35 spiritual Beings whose Baanee (ਬਾਣੀ) or hymns are recorded in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS).
They did not start an another organized religion (Mazhab-ਮਜ਼ਹਬ). To the contrary, they made the whole world aware of the ONE Natural Dharma (Hukam: System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature or Kudrat) that already exists in the Universe — WITHIN the entire humanity and everything else.
- ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥ ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥: The Creator is within me from my ‘Aad’ (Conception). He is within me SINCE Conception, following Conception. He is within me Here and Now. Nanak, He is within me throughout my existence. ||1|| (sggs 1).
In fact, they openly talked about what had become a corrupt Pujaaree system in all organized religions. They decisively hit hard on this corruption that goes on in the name of fabricated concepts, fake gods, man-made religions, Myths, concocted tales, useless rituals etc.
We all can attest to this fact that the term ‘Dharma‘ has been used almost exclusively in a religious or spiritual context but it is not. Also this term ‘Dharma‘ has no English equivalent word.
The word Dharma comes from the Sanskrit root ‘Dhri‘, which means ‘to hold’. Therefore, Dharma refers to that innate characteristic or Eternal Nature which constantly exists with a particular object or beings. In short, we can describe the term Dharma as ‘The universal Order’.
For example, heat is the natural Dharma of fire, liquidity is the natural Dharma of water, light is the natural Dharma of sun, to produce plants is the natural Dharma of a seed, energy is the natural Dharma of electricity, and so on.
Hence, the word Dharma refers to and expresses the vital or Essential Nature of beings, animals, all other creatures, metals, and so on. Dharma, therefore, is a comprehensive term that refers to the immutable System-Rule-Law of Nature (Hukam, ਨਿਯਮ…).
In nutshell, for a heat, water, wind or gravitational force to become ‘Without Dharma‘ is to forget or give up their Inherited Qualities or properties (ਗੁਣ-Virtues) or duty.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਸੇ ਨਰ ਅਸਲਿ ਖਰ ਜਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਣ ਗਰਬੁ ਕਰੰਤਿ ॥੨॥: Nanak, those are real asses, who have no Virtues but are filled with egotistical pride ||2|| (sggs 1246).
At the human level, similarly, for a person to become ‘without Dharma‘ (become A-Dharmee, ਅਧਰਮੀ) is to forget or give up his / her Inherited Qualities (ਗੁਣ-Virtues), duty or responsibilities (ਫਰਜ, ਜਿੰਮੇਵਾਰੀ), innate or Original Nature etc.
- ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ ॥ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੂਤਿ ॥ : Pure Dharma is the offspring (of the divine Virtue of) Compassion. (The offspring of Compassion is) spiritual Contentment that anchors and binds (the five senses). (sggs 3).
The Gurmat Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) asserts the Creator is One (i.e. One Universal Energy or Hukam), and this One is Omnipresent.
Since the Creator is ONE and Omnipresent, the true Dharma must also be One and the same everywhere in the world like gravity — the Universal Dharma of ‘Sach-ਸਚ-Truth‘ or Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun).
Rest are just man-made, organized and institutionalized religions — ‘Mazhab-ਮਜ਼ਹਬ’.
Religion is a Judaeo-Christian term and the term ‘Mazahab‘ is from Abrahamic traditions.
The Sikh Gurus did not use or accept the term religion or Mazhab (ਮਜ਼ਹਬ).
Dharma being the immutable System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature (Hukam…), it is free of ritualism, formalities (Karamkaand), traditions, religious robes (Bhekh-ਭੇਖ), paraphernalia, mythology, concocted narratives etc.
In nutshell, religion lives in the past and in the future, whilst Dharma lives in the Present (i.e., NOW)!
However, a great tragedy of the humankind is that these institutionalized and organized religions have hijacked the True Dharma.
Dharma for humans is simply a Way of life to connect with one’s Eternal Mool or Original Nature (Jot Saroop) Within while living a life of Wisdom (Enlightenment), Virtues and responsibility (duty, ਫਰਜ, ਜਿੰਮੇਵਾਰੀ) — a Gurmukh State of the Mind.
- ਏਕੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਦ੍ਰਿੜੈ ਸਚੁ ਕੋਈ ॥: If some one grasps this – there is but one Dharma of Truth. (sggs 1188).
- ਕਬੀਰਾ ਜਹਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਹ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਹਾ ਝੂਠੁ ਤਹ ਪਾਪੁ ॥: O Kabeer! (Within a person, if) there is Giaan (Spiritual Wisdom, Divine Knowledge, Aatm–Giaan…) there is Dharma; (if within him) there is falsehood, there is sin (corrupt thinking). (sggs 1372).
- ਖਤ੍ਰੀਆ ਤ ਧਰਮੁ ਛੋਡਿਆ ਮਲੇਛ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਗਹੀ ॥ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸਭ ਇਕ ਵਰਨ ਹੋਈ ਧਰਮ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਰਹੀ ॥੩॥ : (The so-called brave) Khatris have abandoned their Dharma (of warlike nature, their duty of defending the country and people); they cowardly serve those (for the sake of livelihood) whom they also call ‘Malaesh-ਮਲੇਛ’ (i.e. sinners, vacuous, Mohammedan, wicked etc.) behind their back! Where is their Dharma of bravery (they oppress their own countrymen at the hands of the rulers)? The whole creation has become of one and the same character (i.e. Adharma or wickedness alone has become predominant). ||3|| (sggs 663).
Hence, Dharma or Sikhi should reflect in one’s Virtues, in one’s character (ਕਿਰਦਾਰ, conduct, thoughts, deeds…), in fulfilling one’s responsibilities, in one’s daily lifestyle etc.
In other words, Dharma or Sikhi should reflect in one’s Quality of daily life or deeds (Giaan-Wisdom, Virtues) — inner Qualities such as Truth (ਸਤ), honesty (ਇਮਾਨਦਾਰੀ), contentment (ਸੰਤੋਖ), mercy (ਦਯਾ), patience (ਧੀਰਜ), Sahaj (ਸਹਜ-Natural State of Being), Wisdom (ਗਿਆਨ), humility (ਮਨ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ, ਬੁਧਿ ਗਰੀਬੀ), sweet speech (ਮਿਠ ਬੋਲੜਾ)….
The next form of Wisdom (Giaan-ਗਿਆਨ) is the divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun), which then appears in daily life (Gurmukh Mindset and Lifesyle).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਆਨ ਭੇਟਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਹੀ ॥੭॥: Those who become Gurmukh, merge in Wisdom and live (daily life) of Virtues. ||7|| (sggs 226).
- ਗੁਣ ਵੀਚਾਰੇ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸੋਇ ॥: (One who) contemplates the Divine Virtues is spiritually Wise. (sggs 931).
- ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥: I Cleanse my mind Within (of vices) with Godly Virtues. Bhagti (spirituality) does not materialize without Internalizing these Virtues. (sggs 4).
- ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਵਖਾਣੈ ॥: Who recognizes or understands the Hukam lives (daily life) of Virtues. (sggs 109).
In other words, the terms such as Dharma, Truth (Sach-ਸੱਚ), Wisdom (Giaan-ਗਿਆਨ), Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun), Naam, Gurmat Bhagti, or Hukam (Sytem-Rule-Law-Order of Nature or Kudrat) are interrelated.
Ironically, in this world, the biggest lies (ਝੂਠ) are told in the name of Dharma, specially by those who use Dharma as business transactions (ਧੰਧਾ, ਦੁਕਾਨਦਾਰੀ…)!
As a result, the biggest gossip (ਗੱਪ – a false story, tattle, prattle, rumor, hearsay, concocted narratives etc.) goes in the name of Dharma.
- ਓਹੁ ਗਲ ਫਰੋਸੀ ਕਰੇ ਬਹੁਤੇਰੀ ਓਸ ਦਾ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਭਾਇਆ ॥: He (i.e., the prattler, Manmukh) babbles on and on (ਗੱਲਾਂ ਵੇਚਣੀਆਂ, ਗੱਲਾਂ ਦੀ ਖੱਟੀ ਖਾਣੀ, etc.), but the words he speaks please no one (sggs 303).
Also called ‘Srest-ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ-Best’ Dharma in the Gurbani (SGGS), this Universal Dharma or Order is observed at the level of the mind (Surat-Conscience).
It’s so because this true Dharma is the Eternal function or Original Nature (Inner Nature) of beings in relationship with ‘Sach-Truth-God’ or Virtues (Pure or ‘Nirmal Karma‘, Wisdom…). It asks us to Awaken or develop divine Virtues or Wisdom (Enlightenment or Gurmukh Mindset) so that the human narcissism is removed.
- ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ ॥: Of all Dharma, the best Dharma is ‘Naam(u) Japi’ (gain understanding, Wisdom, Virtues etc and apply i.e.) do Pure Karma (righteous deed, pure conduct, ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਆਚਰਣ…). (sggs 266).
- ਸਭ ਤੇ ਊਤਮ ਇਹੁ ਕਰਮੁ ॥ ਸਗਲ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥: This (i.e., to live Virtues in life, Naam…) is the most exalted Karma. Of all Dharma, this is the most sublime and excellent Dharma. (sggs 895).
Hence, Dharma = Purpose in life, Truth seeking, living daily life with Virtues or inherited Original Nature (Jot Saroop), earnestly fulfilling one’s responsibilities (duty, ਫਰਜ, ਜਿੰਮੇਵਾਰੀ).
Accordingly, the Wisdom of the SGGS tells us that a person without Virtues (ਗੁਣ) is as useless as a cow without milk; a bird without wings; vegetation or crop without water; an emperor without respect etc.
- ਦੁਧ ਬਿਨੁ ਧੇਨੁ ਪੰਖ ਬਿਨੁ ਪੰਖੀ ਜਲ ਬਿਨੁ ਉਤਭੁਜ ਕਾਮਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਕਿਆ ਸੁਲਤਾਨੁ ਸਲਾਮ ਵਿਹੂਣਾ ਅੰਧੀ ਕੋਠੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਾਹੀ ॥੧॥: A cow without milk; a bird without wings; vegetation without water – totally useless! What is an emperor, without respect? The chamber of the soul is so dark, without the Naam (i.e., ਗੁਣ, Virtues, Wisdom, Truth…. ||1|| (sggs 354).
To put it otherwise, the Wisdom of the SGGS teaches us the principle of basic Unity (Oneness) and equality and how to build a peaceful, loving, harmonious, just, truthful, successful, purposeful, positive society and life. If people cannot treasure these universal Virtues, then that’s people’s problem, NOT Gurmat’s problem (ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਵਧੀਆ ਸਮਾਜ ਤੇ ਸਾਨੂੰ ਵਧੀਆ ਇਨਸਾਨ ਬਣਾਂਉਦੀ ਹੈ).
Hence, to be a Dhaarmic person has nothing to do with one’s physical or external appearance.
- ਜੋ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਧਰਮ ਨਾਉ ਹੋਵੈ ਪਾਪਿ ਕਮਾਣੈ ਪਾਪੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ ॥: He, who lives Dharma (lives daily life of Truth, Virtues, Wisdom, duty…) is a Dhaarmic person (Virtuous…), and if he acts contrary to Dharma is known a ‘Paapee‘. (sggs 138).
To the contrary, all organized and institutionalized religions (Mazhab-ਮਜ਼ਹਬ) are observed at the level of the physical body-frame (Karamkaand or formalities, religious robes or paraphernalia, etc.).
However the Universal Dharma of Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun) pointed out by the Gurbani is NOT a religion.
One of the things common among all organized and institutionalized religions is their respective Pujaare system, their religious robes or paraphernalia, and their Karamkaand (formalities or rituals)!
Hence, they are brain washing systems for social control. They are about tribal survival and conquest. Each claims exclusively true, and all others evil.
They use violence if you don’t agree with their exclusive claims. Ask Professor Giordano Bruno who was burned alive for saying ‘Earth goes around the sun’, contrary to the Church teaching!
Thus there is the Pujaaree-Vaad (ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾ) in Sikhi; there is the Hindu Pujaaree system; there is the Muslim Pujaaree system; there is the Christian Pujaaree system, and so on. And, by nature, Pujaaree is self-serving…
No Dharma without Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun)
The Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS tells us that there can be no true Dharma without Virtues (‘Gun’).
Opposite of Virtues is demerits (‘Avgun’ or ‘Aougun‘, defects, faults, flaws…). The Gurbani calls defects (‘Avgun‘) as chains or noose around one’s neck (‘Janjeer’, ‘Phaahaa‘), human enemies, thieves that steal human Goodness etc.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਅਉਗੁਣ ਜੇਤੜੇ ਤੇਤੇ ਗਲੀ ਜੰਜੀਰ ॥ ਜੇ ਗੁਣ ਹੋਨਿ ਤ ਕਟੀਅਨਿ ਸੇ ਭਾਈ ਸੇ ਵੀਰ ॥: O Nanak! As many as are the demerits (Bikaar…), so many are the chains (bonds, Bandhan…) around (one’s) neck. If (one) possesses the Divine Virtues, then the chains are cut away; (hence Virtues) are (one’s) true brothers and mates. (sggs 595).
Therefore, the SGGS teaches the entire mankind — including ALL Sikhs (learners or ਸਿਖਿਆਰਥੀ) — to follow the One Universal Dharma of Virtues.
In fact, the Divine Wisdom or Bibek is also called Dharma and Gur(u) in the SGGS. Aptly the SGGS asks us to build a fence of this Dharma around!
In a nutshell, clearly the Gurmat (Wisdom, Upadesh, ਸਿਖਿਆ or Way of the SGGS) wants us to awaken the Divine Virtues within in order to be a true Dhaarmic person!
No wonder the SGGS asks all to develop and share in the Divine Virtues!
For a Sikh can awaken within the Divine Virtues (Gun-ਗੁਣ) by remaining a good Sikh; a Hindu can awaken within the Divine Virtues by remaining a good Hindu; a Muslim can awaken within the Divine Virtues by remaining a good Muslim; a Bodhi can awaken within the Divine Virtues by remaining a good Bodhi; a Christian can awaken within the Divine Virtues by remaining a good Christian; a Jew can awaken within the Divine Virtues by remaining a good Jew; and so on.
However, the crafty Pujaaree systems of all these organized religions will NOT let it happen! Instead, they will make sure the people remain divided, ignorant, without the Divine Virtues (Gun-ਗੁਣ)…
Understandably, the SGGS breaks the corrupt Pujaaree system. They have turned their man-made religions into a Mayaic or mundane business (ਧੰਧਾ)!
- ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਪਾਖੰਡ ਜੋ ਦੀਸਹਿ ਤਿਨ ਜਮੁ ਜਾਗਾਤੀ ਲੂਟੈ ॥: (Whosoever does not Internalize — practice: ਅਮਲ — the Advice or Message of the Guru’s Shabad) his religious acts are just ‘Pakhand‘ (pretending, hypocrisy, ਦਿਖਾਵਾ); he is plundered by Jamm (i.e. vices or Bikaar). (sggs 747).
Accordingly, for the betterment of the human society, all contributors of the SGGS tried their best to break the corrupt and stagnant Pujaaree systems. They knew that without breaking these corrupt Pujaaree systems, people cannot be steered away from the lifestyle of ‘Bhangaar‘ they propagate.
Universal Dharma of Truth (‘Sach’)
Where there is corruption, there can be no Dharma. Hence, the Gurbani rejects all man-made religions, for they promote corruption. The truth is falsehood cannot propagate Truth.
- ਸਰਮੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦੁਇ ਛਪਿ ਖਲੋਏ ਕੂੜੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ਵੇ ਲਾਲੋ ॥: Modesty (ਹਯਾ, shame, etc.) and Dharma both have vanished, and falsehood moves about as the chief (Pardhaanu-ਚੌਧਰੀ). (sggs 722).
- ਕਾਦੀ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਮਲੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ॥ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥ ਤੀਨੇ ਓਜਾੜੇ ਕਾ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੨॥: The clergy of the Muslim faith was corrupt, the Brahmin was murderous and the Yogi Un-Enlightened. These three (clergy) had become the root cause for the spiritual wreckage and desolation that mankind had
come to endure. (sggs 662).
The Universal Dharma of Sach (Truth) the SGGS reminds the entire humankind of is for the good of the entire mankind.
- ਬੋਲੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲੀਐ ॥: Speak the ‘Sachu’ Dharma (i.e. to speak Truth is Dharma), and do not speak falsehood (sggs 488).
Currently, in Bhav Saagar, Jeev (individual beings) are in the cracked or split state (‘ਦੁਤੇੜਾ’) — lacking Virtues (Nirgun).
The Gurbani’s Universal Dharma wants the entire humanity to escape from Bhav Saggar to Sukh Saagar and awaken the Divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ-Gun) or Giaan (Wisdom) within.
A Brahmin can do that; a Muslim can do that; a Yogi can do that, a Sikh can do that; a Khalsa can do that, list goes on and on.
Let’s take a few examples from the Gurbani:
For example, a person who identifies himself as a Sikh can awaken the universal Virtues (Gun-ਗੁਣ) within, without changing his man-made religion:
- ਪਰਿਓ ਕਾਲੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਗ ਊਪਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਨ ਭਏ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਜਿਹ ਜਾਨੀ ॥ : The superstitious scholars write that the whole world is under superstitions and fear of death. O Kabeer! Those beings who Understood ‘Prem Bhagti‘ become ‘Khaalse‘ (‘ਖਾਲਸੇ’ ==> ‘liberated‘ from superstitions and fear of death or became ‘pure’ beings free from superstitions, Inner Purity). (sggs 655).
- ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਸਖਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਭਾਣੇ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਵੈ ॥: O Mind! He alone is a Sikh, a friend, and a relative, who walks in the Way of the Guru’s Bhaanaa (Gurmat, Shabad, Upadesh, Giaan-Wisdom…). (sggs 601).
A person who identifies himself Brahmin can also awaken the universal Virtues (Gun-ਗੁਣ) within, without changing his man-made religion:
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨ ਇਸਨਾਨੀ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਪੂਜੇ ਪਾਤੀ ॥: He alone is a Brahmin, who takes his cleansing bath in the Brahm-Giann (spiritual wisdom), and whose leaf-offerings in worship are the Divine Virtues. (sggs 992).
A person who identifies himself Muslim can also awaken the universal Virtues (Gun-ਗੁਣ) within, without changing his man-made religion:
- ਪੰਜਿ ਨਿਵਾਜਾ ਵਖਤ ਪੰਜਿ ਪੰਜਾ ਪੰਜੇ ਨਾਉ ॥ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਹਲਾਲ ਦੁਇ ਤੀਜਾ ਖੈਰ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥ ਚਉਥੀ ਨੀਅਤਿ ਰਾਸਿ ਮਨੁ ਪੰਜਵੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਨਾਇ ॥ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਲਮਾ ਆਖਿ ਕੈ ਤਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਸਦਾਇ ॥: There are five prayers and five times of day for prayer; the five have five names. Let the first be truthfulness (truth in thoughts, speech, deeds…). Let the second be earning honest living (Imaandaree Dee Kirat). Let the third be good will for all (Sarbatt Daa Bhalaa Karanaa). Let the fourth be the pure mind and intentions (Neeyat or motives…). And, let the fifth be the Divine Praise (i.e., continually living and sharing the Divine Wisdom and Virtues in life). (With these five Namaaj, elevate your conduct – ਕਰਣੀ) repeat the creed of good deeds, and then, you may call yourself a (true) Muslim. (sggs 141).
A person who identifies himself Yogi can also Awaken the universal Virtues within, without changing his man-made religion:
- ਮੁੰਦਾ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਰਮੁ ਪਤੁ ਝੋਲੀ ਧਿਆਨ ਕੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਿਭੂਤਿ ॥ ਖਿੰਥਾ ਕਾਲੁ ਕੁਆਰੀ ਕਾਇਆ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਡੰਡਾ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ ॥ ਆਈ ਪੰਥੀ ਸਗਲ ਜਮਾਤੀ ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ ॥: (O Yogi) make Godly contentment your earrings, hard work your begging bowl, and contemplation (on Naam: Wisdom/Virtues) ashes that cover your body. Such diligence enable a life time (ਖਿੰਥਾ ਕਾਲੁ) of liberation from vices (free from inflictions of vices or Bikaar– ਕੁਆਰੀ) and the spirituality (or Way – ਜੁਗਤਿ) of unflinching faith (ਡੰਡਾ ਪਰਤੀਤਿ) in (Divine Virtues). (Let Divine Virtues, universal brotherhood) as the highest spirituality for all of humanity (be your ‘Aaee Panthi‘ sect-ਆਈ ਪੰਥੀ), by controlling your mind you can Win (ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ) the command or dictates of our sensory world (ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ). (sggs 6).
If all this happens, then, regardless of what worldly religion a person identifies with, everybody will have the same Divine Virtues — Oneness, Sameness, universal Love, universal Brotherhood, universal Citizenship…
The Divine Virtues build a fence of Dharma around a person. As a result, there will be more love, less hatred and bloodshed in the name of religion or God.
However, the Gurbani’s this universal Dharma of Virtues requires people to change within.
- ਜਿਨਿ ਕਰਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਗਿਆਨ ਅੰਜਨੁ ਦੀਆ ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਨੇਤ੍ਰੀ ਜਗਤੁ ਨਿਹਾਲਿਆ ॥: He taught me and given me the healing eyedrops of spiritual Wisdom so that with my spiritual eyes, I visualize the world (sggs 470).
That’s where the problem is — people don’t want to change or mend their thinking. Since the organized religions see no material gain in teaching their followers to change, they stick to their antagonistic adherents and engage in foolish acts in the name of their religion and god.
Dharma revealed by the SGGS is universal
The Dharma pointed out by the Gurbani is ONLY ONE — the Universal Dharma of Virtues. Hence, it’s NOT a Dharma of ignorant, unvirtuous, corrupt etc.!
The Gurbani claims that every action performed in the Light of the divine Wisdom becomes Dharma. On the other hand, every deed done contrary to the divine Wisdom is vice or Bikaar (corrupt thinking, demerits…).
- ਕਬੀਰਾ ਜਹਾ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਤਹ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਹਾ ਝੂਠੁ ਤਹ ਪਾਪੁ ॥ (sggs 1372).
The Giaan or spiritual Knowledge of the SGGS is meant to raise conditioned consciousness to the level of Immortal Consciousness. Thus the SGGS puts the entire mankind back on the Path (Panth-ਪੰਥ) of living the True Dharma (Virtues, Wisdom). Its Divine Guidance and Universal Message is for the improvement and welfare of the whole mankind.
- ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੈ ਊਤਮ ਧਰਮਾ ॥: Obtain the Divine Naam (Spiritual Knowledge, Virtue…), this is the Highest Dharma (sggs 834).
- ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਗਾਈਐ ਆਤਮ ਰੰਗਿ ॥: Live by the Divine (Virtues, Wisdom, Hukam or Law of Nature…) with the complete involvement of the Soul (mind – ਮੰਨ ਕਰਕੇ). (sggs 680).
However, the members of the Gurdwara committees and the self-serving Pujaaree (clergy: Granthis, Parcharaks, Ragis, Dhadees etc.) and the freeloading Deraa-Vaad Baabaas (ਵੇਹਲੜ) etc. have shamelessly hijacked and tortured the real Gurmat and its Supreme Message with the concocted pre-1469 concepts and using Vedic / Puranic slants in interpretation of the SGGS. The Pujaaree system has connected people to mere body-consciousness (Maya) instead of the UNIQUE and REVOLUTIONARY Spirituality of the Shabad (Enlightenment)
Regardless of which institutionalized religion, the Pujaaree system of every religion wants to close people’s minds shut and contained, as a chick in an eggshell! Also, they make people emotional so they don’t think logically. As a result, people believe whatever the Pujaaree-Vaad tattles (ਗੱਪ) in the name of dharma and god.
Thw Pujaaree groups, thus, plunder people by confusing theme, selling them the fake or counterfeit dharma and god (ਨਕਲੀ ਧਰਮ ਅਤੇ ਰੱਬ)…
The result is – as Bhagat Kabeer Jee says:
- ਦੀਨੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਰੇ ਦਿਵਾਨੇ ਦੀਨੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਪੇਟੁ ਭਰਿਓ ਪਸੂਆ ਜਿਉ ਸੋਇਓ ਮਨੁਖੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਾਰਿਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕਬਹੂ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਨੀ ਰਚਿਓ ਧੰਧੈ ਝੂਠ ॥ ਸੁਆਨ ਸੂਕਰ ਬਾਇਸ ਜਿਵੈ ਭਟਕਤੁ ਚਾਲਿਓ ਊਠਿ ॥੧॥: O madman! You have forgotten your Dharma (of Virtues, Sach or Truth, Duty of life-ਫਰਜ…); you have forgotten your Dharma. Like animals, you fill your belly and sleep; you have wasted and lost this human life. ||1||Pause|| Having never done Sangat of the Guru, but having concocted tasks of fakery; one lives one’s life akin to that of a dog, hog and crow. ||1|| (sggs 1105).
Fittingly, the SGGS demands discarding of the Pujaaree system.
The SGGS also asserts we must read the Gurbani ourselves, churn it through Shabad-Vichaar for understanding its true meanings, and then apply it in daily life. Consider Baabaa Nanak’s precious words:
- ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਗੁਰਿਆ ਗੁਣੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਮੁਹਿ ਫੇਰਿਐ ਮੁਹੁ ਜੂਠਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥: O Nanak! Who are without Giaan (Wisdom, Truth…) have no Divine Virtues. Defilement within comes from by turning away (from Giaan, Wisdom, Truth…). (sggs 1240).
- ਅਸਮਾਨ ਮ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਾਨੇ ਲਹੰਗ ਦਰੀਆ ਗੁਸਲ ਕਰਦਨ ਬੂਦ ॥: In the mind, a stream flows (i.e., the stream of Wisdom, Virtues, Amrit, Truth, Universal Energy…); take your bath in it. (sggs 727).
- ਸਜਣ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਲਿ ਮੈ ਚਲਦਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ਚਲੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਿ ॥ ਜਿਥੈ ਲੇਖਾ ਮੰਗੀਐ ਤਿਥੈ ਖੜੇ ਦਿਸੰਨਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (Virtues – ਗੁਣ) alone are my friends, who (always) travel along with me; and where the accounts are called for (i.e., wherever I’m in trouble, my Virtues) appear standing with me. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 729).
If we were to understand this Universal Dharma of the SGGS, then all organized or Institutionalized religions manufactured by the self-serving Pujaaree will collapse, leaving behind standing alone the Gurmat’s Universal Dharma of ‘Nirmal Karma‘ (Virtues, Giaan, Truth…)!
- ਗੁਣ ਸੰਗ੍ਰਹਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਰਤੀ ਹਰਖਾਈ ॥੫॥: The seeker enshrines the Divine within the Heart and thereby gathers divine virtues imbued with Bhagti and achieves contentment. (sggs 1273).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਨਿਰਗੁਣ ਨਾਮ ਨ ਰੋਸੁ ॥ ਇਸੁ ਪਰਚਾਇ ਪਰਚਿ ਰਹੁ ਏਸੁ ॥੪॥੯॥: Says O Kabeer! Let there not be estrangement with the formless Naam (Divine Virtues), instead conform to it and get used to it ||4||9|| (i.e. live it in daily life – never forget it) (sggs 325).
Thank you sister Inderjit kaur Ji for taking the time to share your thoughts. Welcome to the Gurbani Blog!
Thanks for posting this enlightening truth from Gurbani.
Thanks Veer Ji for taking the time to reply. Welcome to the Gurbani blog!
Brother, to put it gently, we need to understand the Gurbani FROM the Gurbani (SGGS), NOT from the NON-Gurbani sources like the illiterate, greedy, or corrupt Pujaaree system — “ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਜਾਤੀ”.
Here is what the Gurbani says about the Pujaare group:
• ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੀਆ ॥ ਛਾਡਿ ਚਲੇ ਹਮ ਕਛੂ ਨ ਲੀਆ ॥੩॥: (sggs 1159).
• ਹਮਰਾ ਝਗਰਾ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਕੋਊ ॥ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਮੁਲਾਂ ਛਾਡੇ ਦੋਊ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (sggs 1158).
After reading the above declaration of the SGGS, your mind may conclude that the SGGS is also “unduly harsh on the Pujarees”! But, what the conditioned minds think do not make any difference to the SGGS!
The content of your reply suggests the Pujaaraae system has brain washed you and watered down your understanding of the Gurbani’s Upadesh — terms like Kirtan, Saaddh Sangat…
Obviously, you think Kirtan is just singing with harmonium, tabla, Dholak, Raag, etc. That’s not the Gurbani’s definition of the Kirtan.
The author is unduly harsh on the Pujarees.
We need our Kirtanias and BhaiSahibs. They are an essential part of Saadh Sangat, and the Sikh Musical Experience.
Thank you Sonic Ji for taking the time to share your thoughts. Welcome to the Gurbani Blog!
Thank you J Ji for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Thank you for doing this work. Your Gurbani website and blog have been a source of wisdom and comfort to me for many years now. I hope the Gurbani blog will continue to bring good tidings to all who read it.
Excellent post T Singh Ji, thanks for showing the truth.
Excellent post T Singh Ji, thank you for showing the truth !
Comments are closed.