The Gurbani stresses on the importance and need of Internal Cleanliness and not the external one. Because, it’s the mind that must become pure and truthful.
As far as the gross body-frame is concerned, it can only be washed clean of dirt on the outside, BUT cannot become pure or Truthful! In other words, the mind cannot be washed or cleansed with water!
- ਪਾਣੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਨ ਧੋਪਈ ਮੁਖਿ ਪੀਤੈ ਤਿਖ ਜਾਇ ॥: You may drink water to quench your thirst, (but) the water cannot wash the consciousness (mind). (sggs 1240).
- ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਜੂਠਿ ਨ ਜਾਏ ॥: Outwardly, he (hypocrite) washes off the filth, but the impurity of his mind does not go away (sggs 88).
In nutshell, the edict (ਫੈਸਲਾ) of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) is: “When the mind is filthy, everything is filthy; by washing the body, the mind is not cleaned”.
- ਮਨਿ ਮੈਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਤਨਿ ਧੋਤੈ ਮਨੁ ਹਛਾ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥: When the mind is filthy, everything is filthy; by washing the body, the mind is not cleaned (sggs 558).
Therefore, the SGGS asserts that the Spiritual Knowledge or the Divine Wisdom (Giaan) is the Teerath, and it’s the mind that needs to bathe in the Pool (Srovar) of this Teerath (Giaan Teerath). Because, only a continuous practice of the Divine Wisdom of the SGGS can lead us to Enlightenment.
- ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਊਤਮ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥: Supreme Giaan (Wisdom) is best bath (of the mind). (sggs 296).
- ਪੂਰੈ ਗਿਆਨਿ ਧਿਆਨਿ ਮੈਲੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਜਾਣਿ ਮਨੂਆ ਨਾਇਆ ॥: Through the complete Giaan (Spiritual Knowledge) and Reflection, (mind’s) filth is dispelled. Hari (Mool within) is the Pool (Srovar) and shrine of pilgrimage (Teerath); bathe the mind in there. (sggs 1286).
- ਅਸਮਾਨ ਮ੍ਯ੍ਯਿਾਨੇ ਲਹੰਗ ਦਰੀਆ ਗੁਸਲ ਕਰਦਨ ਬੂਦ ॥: In the mind, a stream flows (i.e., the stream of Wisdom, Virtues, Amrit, Truth, Universal Energy…); take your bath in it. (sggs 727).
According to the Gurbani, it’s the Giaan (Spiritual Knowledge) that can purify the mind, make it truthful, and make it recognize its Mool or True Nature within (Jot Saroop). Accordingly, for a true Sikh (a learner, Seeker, Student or a Disciple of the Wisdom of the SGGS), the Gurbani asserts that Gurmat (Wisdom, Giaan, Upadesh or Way of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS…) is the Giaan Teerath.
Giaan (ਗਿਆਨ) = Spiritual Knowledge, Divine Wisdom, Brahm-Giaan, Aatam-Giaan, Naam, Shabad…
Teerath (ਤੀਰਥ) = A place or shrine of pilgrimage…
- ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਥਾਨੁ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਦਸ ਪੁਰਬ ਸਦਾ ਦਸਾਹਰਾ ॥: The Gur-Wisdom is Eternal sacred shrine of pilgrimage (for me, which is equal to) the congregation of ten (Holy days or festivals for me). (sggs 687).
- ਸਰੀਰ ਸਰੋਵਰ ਭੀਤਰੇ ਆਛੈ ਕਮਲ ਅਨੂਪ ॥: (O mind!) The Srovar (Pool) is within the body. (sggs 857).
However, this Giaan the Gurbani talks about differs from the ordinary or relative knowledge of the relation of subject and object. It’s the Spiritual Knowledge (Tatt Giaan, Aatam Giaan, Brahm Giaan, Divine Wisdom…) — the best bath for the mind. Hence, the Giaan the Gurmat talks about is NOT relative knowledge. But the Giaan or the Divine Knowledge the Gurmat talks about in its Purity remains all alone, One, unique, transcendental, Light…
- ਗਿਆਨ ਰਤਨਿ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਜੀਐ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਮੈਲਾ ਹੋਇ ॥: When the mind is cleaned (scrub, polish, scour-ਸੁਧ ਜਾਂ ਸਾਫ ਕਰਨਾ…) with the Jewel of the Giaan (Gur-Giaan or Spiritual Wisdom), it does not become dirty again (with Bikaar). (sggs 992).
Hence, the Wisdom of the SGGS (Gurmat) asks its Sikhs to bathe or take a dip in the water or pond (Sarover) of this Giaan Teerath.
- ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਵਣ ਜਾਉ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ॥ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਸਬਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਹੈ ॥: Go bathe at the Teerath, (and that Teerath is) the Naam-Teerath. To Reflect on the Shabad (Shabad-Vichaar…) is the Teerath, (because of this) Spiritual Wisdom arises within (sggs 687).
In nutshell, in Gurmat, Giaan Teerath = Wisdom Teerath = Naam Teerath = Shabad Teerath!
- ਸਾਚਾ ਨਾਵਣੁ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The true cleansing bath is Gur-Sevaa (through Shabad-Vichaar). ||1||Pause|| (sggs 484).
- ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਧੋਵਹਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ ॥: (Pure and unique Bhagti is) to wash the mind, and the body (i.e., senses: eyes, ears, etc.) with Shabad-Vichaar (sggs 1059).
- ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਮਜਨ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥: Naam is my cleansing bath and ablution (sggs 1145).
- ਭਰੀਐ ਹਥੁ ਪੈਰੁ ਤਨੁ ਦੇਹ ॥ …: Bhreeai Hathu pairu tanu deh … (sggs 4).
To clarify it firther, here are the Instructions of the SGGS to its Sikhs:
- ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥: One who calls himself a Sikh of the Satigur (SGGS), shall rise tomorrow and contemplate on the Divine Naam (right from the moment he wakes up, his consciousness remains attuned to the Divine Wisdom). Upon arising tomorrow (thus), he is to bathe in the pool of Amrit (“ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ” = in the pool of Giaan Amrit…). (sggs 305).
The Gurbani connects us to the Shabad-consciousness or Naam-consciousness, NOT body-consciousness.
Hence, the Gurbani tells us that it’s the MIND that must take dip in the pool of Giaan Amrit, NOT the gross body-frame!
- ਗੁਰਦੇਵ ਤੀਰਥੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੋਵਰੁ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਜਨੁ ਅਪਰੰਪਰਾ ॥: The Gurdev is the Teerath, and the pool of Amrit; bathing in the Gur-wisdom, one experiences the Infinite. (sggs 262).
The Gurbani shows us this can be accomplished by dipping the mind in Shabad-Vichaar — churning the Gurbani. For the Gur-Shabad is like ice (“ਹਿਵ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਸਬਦੁ”) that cools the mind with the Divine Wisdom or Aatam-Giaan (Gurmat Bhagti).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਅਗਨਿ ਸਬਲ ਅਤਿ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਹਿਵ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਗੁਰ ਦੀਜੈ ॥: The powerful fire of Maya (desires, Bikaars…) is raging greatly within (Jeeva-individual beings); (O Raam!) Give (me) the ice-cold Gur-Shabad (so that the raging fire of Maya may be quenched). (sggs 1325).
Clearly, the Gurbani is the subject of “Khoj” (Search, investigation, inquiry…) and Reflecting (Vichaar). Hence, unequivocally, the Way of the Gurbani (or Gurmat) is the Way of UNDERSTANDING (Gurmukh Lifestyle).
- ਖੋਜ ਬੂਝਿ ਜਉ ਕਰੈ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥ ਤਉ ਭਵਜਲ ਤਰਤ ਨ ਲਾਵੈ ਬਾਰਾ ॥੪੦॥: When someone understand by Searching (“Khoj”), and engages in Vichaar (Reflection on the Divine Virtues, Wisdom…), then (he) crosses over the “Bhavjal” (Bhav Saagar or dreadful ocean of Maya, etc.) in no time. ||40|| (sggs 342).
Therefore, as butter is obtained by churning the cream or curd, similarly, by churning the Gurbani (through the Shabad-Vichaar…) the Butter (ਮੱਖਣ, Essence…) of Naam (Naam Tatt), Giaan (Wisdom- Giaan Tatt), or Virtues is obtained. In other words, the Gurbani is a riddle “ਮੁਦਾਵਣੀ”, “ਬੁਝਾਰਤ”, ਪਹੇਲੀ, ਸਮਝੌਤੀ…), which, by becoming the Gurmukh (follower of the Truth…), needs to be understood and solved (ਬੁੱਝਣਾਂ).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਸਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥ Pure is the mind who has become the Gurmukh; he bathes in the Pool of Truth (sggs 1058).
- ਮੰਨੁ ਧੋਵਹੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਲਾਗਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਰਹਹੁ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥: Attach yourself to the Shabad (Gur-Giaan…), continue to fix your consciousness on Hari (Mool), and (like this) wash your mind (sggs 919).
- ਬਾਹਰਿ ਦੇਵ ਪਖਾਲੀਅਹਿ ਜੇ ਮਨੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਜੂਠਿ ਲਹੈ ਜੀਉ ਮਾਜੀਐ ਮੋਖ ਪਇਆਣਾ ਹੋਇ ॥੨॥: As the stone idols are washed from outside, (instead) if one were to wash his mind, (then his inner) filth would be removed (i.e., filth of Bikaar: lust, anger, greed…) and his soul would be cleansed and thus his life-journey would be liberated (from Bikaar…). ||2|| (sggs 489).
This is the real Teaching of the SGGS. Now, pause for a moment, and think and compare this True Giaan (Wisdom) of the Gurbani with what’s going on out there in stubborn-mindedness!
Clearly, what the Gurbani is saying is totally opposite of what people are being preached by the illiterate and corrupt Pujaaree group (ਪੁਜਾਰੀ ਲਾਣਾਂ, ਸਾਧ ਲਾਣਾਂ, Raagees, Bhais, Kathaakaar, preachers, Deraavaad sant or Baabaa, etc.). The illiterate and fraudulent Pujaaree group and members of the Gurdwara committees have hijacked and tortured the real Gurmat with concocted Karamkaand (rituals), plundering masses in the process. The wicked Pujaaree system has connected people to mere body-consciousness (Maya) instead of the Gur-Giaan (spiritual Knowledge of the Gurbani…) or Naam. People believe whatever the Pujaaree-Vaad tattles (ਗੱਪ) in the name of Dharma for they have closed people’s minds shut!
The corrupt Pujaaree system has turned the Gurmat into mundane business (ਧੰਧਾ). As a result, they sell fake (ਨਕਲੀ) God who takes bribe, accepts recommendations, engages in favoritism, likes flattery, believes in Jaat-Paat and social status (caste, etc.), etc. On account of fear or greed, vulnerable people believe in this fake God created by the crafty Pujaaree Group. But, this is NOT the God of the SGGS.
Thus, the “Parpanchee” (deceitful, fraudulent, etc.) Pujaaree Group has connected unsuspecting people to “Parpanch” (illusion, worldliness, fraud, deception, ostentation, doubt…). The Gurbani tells us that those who are NOT engrossed in “Parpanch” in this world are very “rare” for it’s an uphill climb.
- ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਪਰਪੰਚਿ ਲਾਗੇ ॥: In the love of duality, (by forgetting their Mool, Jeeva) remain attached to “Parpanch” (sggs 842).
- ਗਿਆਨ ਵਿਹੂਣਾ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਸੂਝੈ ॥: Without Spiritual Wisdom, (one) understands nothing at all (sggs 1044).