Many physical changes occur during the journey of a human being from birth to death. According to the laws of nature, every human being has to go through a journey from infant to childhood to youth and old age, whether a person is a Gurmukh or a Manmukh or an atheist. Yet, the Gurbani says:
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੁਢੇ ਕਦੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਰਵਹਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਹਜ ਧਿਆਨ ॥ : Gurmukh budhae kade naahee … (sggs 1418).
Gurmukh never grows old, but Manmukh fall pray to old age even when young?
Now, before Reflecting on these foregoing verses, if we keep in mind the immutable Laws of Nature (Hukam), then we will understand that here the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) is talking about mental old age NOT physical.
In other words, it is the State Of Mind based on the Message contained in the Guru’s Shabad — follower of the Guru’s Counsel or State of Mind that has become Enlightened by Internalizing the Message of the Guru’s Shabad)…
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੁਢੇ ਕਦੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਰਵਹਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਹਜ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਓਇ ਸਦਾ ਅਨੰਦਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਰਹਹਿ ਦੁਖਿ ਸੁਖਿ ਏਕ ਸਮਾਨਿ ॥ ਤਿਨਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਇਕੋ ਆਇਆ ਸਭੁ ਆਤਮ ਰਾਮੁ ਪਛਾਨੁ ॥੪੪॥: The Gurumukh (those who have Internalized the spiritual Message of the Shabad) Within their Surti/Consciousness/mind, the spiritual State of their mind never becomes weak. They ever live life of Virtues, and remain in the state of ‘Sahaj‘ (Natural State of Being, State of Wisdom etc.). They are always engrossed in the Bliss giving Bibek (discriminating intellect), in sorrow and happiness they are always steadfast. They see only ONE Omnipresent everywhere (Universal Energy). ||44|| (sggs 1418).
To the contrary, Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree state of mind (an opposite of Gurmukh state of the mind) lacks Wisdom, Virtues, Bibek etc. As a result, according to Gurbani, we are falling prey to old age, even though we may be strong and young due to our body. This is explained in the next few verses of the foregoing Shabad:
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਬਾਲਕੁ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਸਮਾਨਿ ਹੈ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਵਿਚਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਸਭ ਧਰਮ ਰਾਇ ਕੈ ਜਾਂਹੀ ॥: A Manmukh (Un-enlightened), even though they may be a child, (in the spiritual life he) is as weak as an old person for within his mind he lacks divine (Wisdom, Virtues, Bibek…). Such human beings acts in false ego-sense (Haumai) and suffer the consequences of their transgressions or death of their spiritual life (ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ). (sggs 1418).
That being said, to develop this Shabad Based State Of Mind, the SGGS asks us to BECOME THE GURBANI.
The spirituality of the Shabad creates an Elevated and Sanctified Mind (Gurmukh-Hood, Gurmukh Mindset…). It is to Internalize the spirituality of Shabad and Realize the Creator Within through the Enlightenment of the Shabad.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚੇ ਕਾ ਭਉ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅਘੜੁ ਘੜਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰੁ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਰੋਮਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਚਿ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੨੭॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਬੇਦ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਤਰੀਐ ਤਾਰੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਸੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਚੈ ਅੰਤਰ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਨੀ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥੨੮॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਕਥੁ ਕਥੈ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਿਬਹੈ ਸਪਰਵਾਰਿ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਪੀਐ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਅਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੇਦਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਜਾਣਾਈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਲਿ ਸਮਾਈ ॥੨੯॥: The spirituality of the Shabad — Internalization of the spiritual Message contained in the Shabad (Enlightenment: the Gurmukh-Hood State of the Mind) brings about loving deference of the Creator; (it i.e. this state of the Mind) sculptures the unculturable Mind; Internalizes Virtues of the Unblemished and Omnipresent Creator; (it) creates an Elevated and Sanctified Mind; (it) creates complete focus on the Omnipresent Creator; Nanak, (it) creates Realization of the Creator. ॥27॥ Internalization of the spiritual Message contained in the Shabad (Enlightenment: the Gurmukh-Hood State of the Mind enables evaluation of the Vedic discourse; (it) enables an evaluation of (the discourse of Vedas of) as guides of spirituality; (it) enables an evaluation of Enlightenment resulting from the Message of the Shabad (whether we are sustaining it within or not etc.); (it) enables an evaluation of the Creator’s Realization Within; (it) creates Realization of the Infinite and Fathomless Creator; Nanak, (it) creates an unhindered spiritual Pathaway. ॥28॥ The spirituality of the Shabad — Internalization of the spiritual Message contained in the Shabad (Enlightenment: the Gurmukh-Hood State of the Mind) enables a discourse of the Creator; sustains the Array of the Godly Virtues within the Mind; (it) is to Internalize (the Shabad) and Realize the Creator Within with love; (it) is to Realize the Creator Within through the Beautiful Message of the Shabad. The Message embedded within the Shabad causes Realization (of the Creator) to come about. Nanak, (the Message embedded within the Shabad) removes false ego-sense from the Journey of Realization of the Creator Within. ॥29॥ (sggs 941).
The Enlightenment giving spirituality of the SGGS talks about two mentality-groups living on earth: (1) the ‘rare’ Gurmukh (one with the Enlightened State Of Mind) who live Divine Life, and (2) the rest – Manmukhs, Saakat, Mayadhaaree etc. (Un-enlightened – opposite of the Gurmukh). The Gurbani asks us to become the Gurmukh by Internalizing the Message of the Shabad.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹਰੀਆਵਲਾ ਸਾਚੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਸਾਖਾ ਤੀਨਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੀਆ ਏਕ ਸਬਦਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਫਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਆਪੇ ਦੇਇ ਖਵਾਇ ॥੩॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਊਭੇ ਸੁਕਿ ਗਏ ਨਾ ਫਲੁ ਤਿੰਨਾ ਛਾਉ ॥ ਤਿੰਨਾ ਪਾਸਿ ਨ ਬੈਸੀਐ ਓਨਾ ਘਰੁ ਨ ਗਿਰਾਉ ॥ ਕਟੀਅਹਿ ਤੈ ਨਿਤ ਜਾਲੀਅਹਿ ਓਨਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਨਾਉ ॥੪॥ : The one who has become Gurmukh (Enlightened mindset) becomes God-realized, he is like a evergreen tree, he is ever in tune with God in Sahaj (natural state of being, state of Wisdom). By internalizing the spirituality of the Shabad, he has conquered the three modes of material nature (Maya). This ever green Gurmukh-tree bears the ONE Fruit of Amrit (Divine Naam: Wisdom / Virtues), one who Becomes Gurmukh by internalizing the Enlightening Message of the Shabad is bless with this Amrit Fruit. ||3|| The Manmukh (Un-enlightened) are like those trees which whither away standing, they neither bear fruit nor yield shade (i.e. they are of no use). One should not sit near them for they get no spiritual support. These (Manmukh like useless dead trees) are always cut down and burnt (i.e. they suffer constantly due to attachment of Maya), they have neither internalize the Message of the Shabad nor the divine Naam (Wisdom / Virtues). ||4|| (sggs 66).
Hence, in a nutshell, it is the state of the mind (Gurmukh-Hood) — Inner Growth Enlightenment, mind’s Awakened State, the spiritual Unfoldment, spiritual Vision, realization of one’s Mool or Jot Saroop within, state of Wisdom (ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ) etc. — by its very nature is paradoxical. Inner Growth helps us escape the slavery of the outer domination, fear of death etc. and usher us to abide in our Jot Saroop (Original Nature…), within.
Bhagats constantly acquire new Giaan-Wisdom / Virtues.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥ ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੮॥ : Nanak, the spirituality of Internalizing the Shabad is Blissful. Internalization of the Shabad rids us of vices and sorrows. ॥8॥ (sggs 2-3).
It’s Shabad Based State Of Mind
The SGGS gives us glimpses into the Shabad Based State Of Mind.
In nutshell, without getting stagnated or stuck, a Gurmukh mindset constantly keeps engaged in cultivating new or afresh Giaan or Wisdom; enhancing his understanding (ਸਮਝ); gaining new Knowledge in life; developing divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ) and living them in daily life (Practice-ਅਮਲ).
A Gurmukh never stops learning, he constantly keeps learning and updating himself. Thus, he never grows old! To say it otherwise, They live forever in this world for their noble thinking (Soch), Wisdom, actions, Qualities, Bravery, courage, fearlessness, and so on.
With the guidance of the Guru (i.e. Giaan-Wisdom), a Gurmukh mind has also realized that he is the Divine ‘Ansh‘ (of same essence as the Creator – Jot Saroop) — it possesses the same Divine Qualities. If its of the form of the Divine, then it’s NEITHER young or NOR old! The Gurbani confirms:
- ਅਚਰਜ ਕਥਾ ਮਹਾ ਅਨੂਪ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਾਤਮਾ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕਾ ਰੂਪੁ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਨਾ ਇਹੁ ਬੂਢਾ ਨਾ ਇਹੁ ਬਾਲਾ ॥: Wondrous and beautiful is the description of the beauty (of Jeev- mind or soul). ‘Praatamaa’ (Jeev, soul or the mind) is the form of Paarbrahm. || Rehaaou || This (Jeev-mind or soul) is nether old nor young (i.e., it’s beyond the worldly notion of young and old, etc.). (sggs 868).
The SGGS further enlightens us in this context:
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਛੇ ਨਿਰਮਲੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥ ਓਨਾ ਮੈਲੁ ਪਤੰਗੁ ਨ ਲਗਈ ਜਿ ਚਲਨਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭਾਇ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਜੂਠਿ ਨ ਉਤਰੈ ਜੇ ਸਉ ਧੋਵਣ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੇਲਿਅਨੁ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਅੰਕਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੪੫॥: Gurmukhs are the ones who through the Guru’s Shabad (Upadesh Wisdom) have a pure pious life. Those human beings who live according to the Satgur (true Wisdom-ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ), not even tiny bit of filth of (Bikaar: lust anger, greed etc.) stick to their mind. But the filth of Manmukh mind never leaves (his mind), even though he may wash (his external body-frame) a hundred times. O Nanak! Gurmukhs abide in the Guru (Wisdom) and remain united (with their Mool or Jot Saroop within). ||45|| (sggs 1418).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਹੁ ਸਦਾ ਚਿਰੁ ਜੀਵਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਅਨਦ ਅਨੰਤਾ ॥: Drink in the Amrit (-Naam, spiritual Knowledge, Virtues…), may you always live (spiritual life – ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ). Remembrance of ‘Hari’ (Mool…) bestows Infinite Bliss (sggs 496).
The Gurmukh mind understands the Truth (Sach) through the Gurbani, constantly remembers and lives his daily life accordingly.
He daily drinks in ‘Raam Rasaain‘ (Giaan-Wisdom, Virtues…).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਕਾਲੁ ਨ ਖਾਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੨॥: Who becomes the Gurmukh does not die (i.e., he escapes from the death of his Spiritual Life); (he) is not consumed by (Spiritual) death. (Because) the Gurmukh remains absorbed in the Truth. ||2|| (sggs 125).
- ਜੀਵਤ ਜੀਵਤ ਜੀਵਤ ਰਹਹੁ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਣੁ ਨਿਤ ਉਠਿ ਪੀਵਹੁ ॥: Live, live, live forever (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ or Divine Life). Daily, upon getting up, drink in ‘Raam Rasaain’ (Gur-Giaan or Wisdom, Virtues, Gurmat…). (sggs 1138).
The Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS further elaborates on a Shabad Based Sate Of Mind!
- ਖੇਮ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਰਿਧਿ ਨਵ ਨਿਧਿ ॥ ਬੁਧਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸਰਬ ਤਹ ਸਿਧਿ ॥ ਬਿਦਿਆ ਤਪੁ ਜੋਗੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਊਤਮ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥ ਚਾਰਿ ਪਦਾਰਥ ਕਮਲ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸ ॥ ਸਭ ਕੈ ਮਧਿ ਸਗਲ ਤੇ ਉਦਾਸ ॥ ਸੁੰਦਰੁ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਤਤ ਕਾ ਬੇਤਾ ॥ ਸਮਦਰਸੀ ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟੇਤਾ ॥ ਇਹ ਫਲ ਤਿਸੁ ਜਨ ਕੈ ਮੁਖਿ ਭਨੇ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਬਚਨ ਮਨਿ ਸੁਨੇ ॥੬॥: (O brother, a person who does Naam Simran – listening/remembering/living by Naam: Wisdom, Virtues...) is forgiving and of calm disposition; these are the Qualities that make his ‘Ridhi Sidhi’. He is intelligent and Wise (ਗਿਆਨਵਾਨ), these are all his ‘Sidhi‘. He gets education, instead of ‘Tapa’ and ‘Yoga‘ practice he abides in God. By acquiring Giaan or Wisdom of the highest degree, he bathes his mind in it (i.e., instead of visiting Teerath he thus washes the filth of Bikaar from his mind). ‘Four Padaarath’ blossoms in his Heart-Lotus. Remains in the midst of all, and yet detached from all. He is Beautiful (inner Beauty), wise and knower who has understood this Reality. He knows all the same and sees all with one eye. All these Qualities Come and dwell within that man who has listened to (or read) the Gurbani attentively, accepted it an applied it to his daily life (this is the real Simran). (sggs 295-296).
In short, Internalization of the Shabad or Gurmukh-hood (Bhagat, Daas, Jan…) is the State of Mind which is characterized by Wisdom, Enlightenment, bravery, Goodness, Virtues, truthfulness, fearlessness, blissfulness (Anand), piety, Joyfulness, positivity, Happiness, balanced and poised life, Living Liberated, Mool-Abidance etc.
- ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸੀਅਲੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣਿ ਰਹੈ ॥: Internalization of the spiritual Message of the Shabad (the Gurmukh-Hood State of Mind) enables its Essence to be Rooted (Mool) within the mind permanently. (sggs 945).
- ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਰਤਾਰਥੁ ਸੋਭਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ (sggs 445).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋਈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥ (sggs 1344).
- ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋ ਹੋਈ ॥ (sggs 232).
The Creator (Sach-Truth) never gets old!
The Creator (Sach-Truth) is said not to get old in the Gurbani (i.e. remains the same in past, present, future…).
- ਸਚੁ ਪੁਰਾਣਾ ਨਾ ਥੀਐ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਮੈਲਾ ਹੋਇ ॥: The Truth does not grow old; the Divine Naam is never soiled (defiled, etc.). (sggs 1248).
Accordingly, a Gurmukh mindset is also said to never grow old as well — ever remains EVER_FRESH, NEW…!
- ਸਾਚ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਸਦਾ ਨਉਤਨ ਸਬਦਿ ਨੇਹੁ ਨਵੇਲਓ ॥: The intellect or understanding of Truth is Ever-Fresh or New, and the love (of Truth) nurtured through the Shabad is ever New. (sggs 242).
However, the SGGS tells us that one cannot realize or practice Truth (ਸਚ…) until one becomes pure in Heart.
Look around and see at the old people. You will see them bleeding from cuts and bruises they have inflicted upon themselves (i.e. upon their spiritual life, ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ) in their youth and continue to do so in their old age — the wounds of lust, anger, greed, attachments, pride, enviousness, stubborn mindedness (ਮਨ-ਹੱਠ), and their numerous other variations.
In other words, the majority of us suffer from the negative impact of Haumai (or false ego-sense)! Whatever the lifestyle we cultivate throughout life, the same will manifest — whatever is in the mind comes forth!
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀ ॥: The Manmukh is ignorant, wicked and self-conceited (sggs 314).
Simply put, the majority of us just grow old (lifestyle of a Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…).
To the contrary, the Gurmukh simply grows up!
Huge difference in growing up and growing old!
Growing up is to become the Gurmukh through the Message of the Gur-Shabad.
Growing old is to live as a Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree and let the body just wither away only to meet the painful death at the end of the life’s journey.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: The Gurmukh is blessed with spiritual wisdom and discerning intellect (sggs 317).
In the lifestyle of a Gurmukh mindset,there is constant blossoming!
Thus, the old age of who has BECOME the GURBANI (Gurmukh-Hood) is more delighting, charming, and graceful.
Whilst the old age of Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree mindset is ugly and painful. Hence, both the Gurmukh and Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree live two different life styles.
- ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦੇ ਜੇ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਦੂਜੀ ਵਾਰ ॥: Who dies (death of egotism…) in the Gur-Shabad, then he does not die again (ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ), a second time (sggs 1009).
- ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਮਰਣੁ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥: One who dies in the Shabad (i.e., Wisdom, Virtues…), will never again have to die (ਫਿਰ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਨਹੀ ਹੋਵੇਗੀ). (sggs 153).
On the other hand, since a Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree does not stay spiritually Young or Fresh, his life and death becomes ugly.
Accordingly, the Gurbani asserts the Gurmukh-Hood is a right lifestyle for a Gursikh.
In short, a Gurmukh Mindset is not a question of heredity, family of birth, ancestry, race, region, social status, caste or Jaat Paat (casteism), creed, education, titles, religion, religious paraphernalia, robes, etc.; it is a question of Shabad-Abidance!
Thus life is in the inner world. It expresses itself in the outside. Time is irrelevant in the inner world.
In plain English, the Gurmukh-Hood is in Timelessness. That’s why the Gurbani says a Gurmukh AGES NOT — upon becoming Wise and understanding the Hukam (System-Rule-Law of Nature), one does not get entangled in the whirlpool of unnecessary rituals (Karamkaand). In other words, upon realizing Prabh (Mool, Original Nature or Jot Saroop), man does not fall into the ritualistic trap of the Pujaaree system’s corruption. This what essentially the Gurbani indicates saying ‘ਪ੍ਰਭ ਭਾਵੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਾਸ ਤੇ ਰਾਖੈ ॥’ (‘prabh bhaavai binu sass tae raakhai‘. Giaan or Wisdom never dies!
- ਨਾਮੁ ਰਹਿਓ ਸਾਧੂ ਰਹਿਓ ਰਹਿਓ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ॥: (Even in the end time) Naam (Giaan or Wisdom) remains, (also) remains the ‘Guru’ (Giaan or Wisdom) and ‘Gobind‘. (sggs 1429).
Clearly, to become a Gurmukh Mind is like chewing steel-balls or standing in a fire without getting burnt!
No wonder – as time and again asserted in the SGGS – the Gurmukhs are very ‘rare’ in the world!
- ਮਾਨ ਮੋਹ ਮੇਰ ਤੇਰ ਬਿਬਰਜਿਤ ਏਹੁ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਖੰਡੇ ਧਾਰ ॥: To forsake pride, emotional attachment, and the sense of ‘mine and yours’ (ego-sense), is the path of the double-edged sword (sggs 534).
The Gurmukh Lifestyle teaches us that to be born is one thing but to be truly alive quite another! In other words, to look pious on the outside is one thing (i.e., fraud) but to be pious inside is another!
The Gurbani’s Counsel is not to wait for old age to take to the Gurmukh Mindset through the spirituality of the Gur-Shabad. Bhagat Kabeer Jee says:
- ਕਬੀਰਾ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਜਰਾ ਪਹੂੰਚਿਓ ਆਇ ॥ ਲਾਗੀ ਮੰਦਿਰ ਦੁਆਰ ਤੇ ਅਬ ਕਿਆ ਕਾਢਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥੧੩੨॥: Kabeer, so far you have not remembered Raam, and old age has come upon you, it is difficult now to do much to spiritually improve your life; just as if fire has reached the door of a house, then what can be saved from that house? ||132|| (sggs 1371).
Some Related Posts:
- Acting without Being or Becoming
- Non-Gurmukh Mindset – Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree.
- Crowds follow the path of Falsehood, Pakhand…
- Imitation: People See, People do
- Looking Pious and Mahatma Outside but Fraud Inside
- Gurbani Debunks Religious Paraphernalia
- We’re only as Good as the Company We Keep
- Spiritual Development