According to the Brahma-Giaan of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ( SGGS), there is only One Amrit. And that One Amrit is the Naam (“ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ”), Gur-Shabad (“ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਬਦੁ”), Shabad-Vichaar (“ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ”), Divine Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad (“ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ”), Treasure of the Divine Virtues (“ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ”), and so on.
Therefore, this ONE Amrit the SGGS talks about is “Niraakaaree”, hence the Amrit is for the mind to drink through the Shabad-Vichaar — it’s NOT for the tongue or the mouth. Because, it’s the mind that must become “Khalas” (Pure) !
Hence, it’s the mind or consciousness (Surat) that has to become Amritdhaaree!
- ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥: (Those who have found or realized their Mool within) the uniform stream of Amrit rains (within them). The mind drinks it in hearing and reflecting on the Shabad (sggs 102).
The Gurbani asserts there is only One Amrit
“Amrit” is a Sanskrit word that literally means “without death”, “no death”, “immortal”, etc. The SGGS declares that Amrit is ONLY ONE which confers stable Spiritual Life (no death of spiritual or divine life or ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ), Cosmic Awareness, Universal Awareness, Naam Awareness, Shabad-Surti, Joti Saroop, Mool-Abidance, Gurmkh-hood, Divine Life, Divine Wisdom or Divine Virtues, Infinite Bliss, etc.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: O Nanak! O Nanak! There is only One Amrit (i.e, the Naam-Amrit for the soul to drink in); there is no other Amrit at all (sggs 1238).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਬਦੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਬਾਣੀ ॥: The Shabad is Amrit; the Hari Baanee is Amrit (sggs 119).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥: The Shabad-Vichaar (Reflection on the Gur-Shabad) is the sweet Amrit (sggs 424).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਦ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਾਦੁ ਆਇਆ ॥: The Amrit Naam is always sweet; it is tasted through the Gur-Shabad (sggs 559).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨੀਰੁ ਗਿਆਨਿ ਮਨ ਮਜਨੁ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਸੰਗਿ ਗਹੇ ॥: The man, who bathes in the ambrosial water of the Divine knowledge takes with him the merit of bathing at the sixty-eight holies (sggs 1328).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਪਾਈਐ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ॥੨॥: O Nanak! By the Grace, one is blessed with the Amrit of the Treasure of the Divine Virtues. ||2|| (sggs 851).
In the same breath, the SGGS declares “There is no “Doojaa” (“ਦੂਜਾ” = “second”). In other words, to consider otherwise would be duality “Doojaa Bhaav“. The SGGS talks extensively about duality — the principle of “two-ness, plurality, illusion (Maya), subject-object relationship, and so on. This ONE AMRIT changes us from the interior – inside-out.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਦੂਆ ਤੀਆ: (The Gurmukh who) drinks the Amrit (Naam) given by the Satguru, does not know any other second or third (sggs 1034).
The SGGS tells us that the rain of Amrit (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੀ ਵਰਖਾ) is Experienced within the Dasam Duaar (mind) when one abides in his Mool.
- ਉਲਟਿਓ ਕਮਲੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰ ਗਗਨਿ ਦਸ ਦੁਆਰਿ ॥: Through the Reflection on Brahm (Mool), the heart-lotus reverses (i.e., turned away from Maya). Also, in the Sky of the Tenth Gate (mind), Amrit trickles down. (sggs 153).
Why there is “only One” Amrit? Because there is only “One” Divine (“Ik” or “Ek”). “One” is the fundamental principle of Sikhi. It has to be like this as there is One Parameshar (ੴ ) – no second (or “Doojaa“). The Gur-Shabad never gets tired of reminding this truth to us.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚਾ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੁਹੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਹੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: O Nanak, the True Lord is the One and only (i.e. non-dual); (however) Sansaar (the place of repeated suffering) is in duality (sggs 950).
The Gurbani says that the Naam-Amrit alone is sweet, and that this is “the only immaculate Truth in the world“.
- ਏਕੋੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਮੀਠਾ ਜਗਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸਚੁ ਸੋਈ ॥: The Naam-Amrit alone is sweet and that is the only immaculate Truth in the world (sggs 1259).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਿਲਿ ਪੀਵਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥: The Divine Naam (Giaan, Spiritual Wisdom or Knowledge) is the Treasure of Amrit. O brothers! Meet together and drink it (sggs 318).
However, our false ego-sense or Haumai does not and cannot recognize Unity or Oneness. Because, by very its nature, the egotism or Haumai dwells in duality (two-ness, Doojaa Bhaav, Maya). So it has to create or see duality where there is none. The Gurbani reminds us that with Haumai or egotism the duality only increases.
- ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਫੈਲੁ ॥: Afflicted by egotism, duality only increases (sggs 893).
On account of duality, the SGGS says people don’t understand what the real Amrit is. The SGGS also reveals to us that only the Gurmukh knows the real Amrit.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਦਾ ਵਰਸਦਾ ਬੂਝਨਿ ਬੂਝਣਹਾਰ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਬੁਝਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਰਖਿਆ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ॥: Amrit rains down continually; (but only those) understand this who are capaable of understanding (ਇਸ ਭੇਤ ਨੂੰ). Those who have become the Gurmukh, understand this (ਇਸ ਭੇਤ ਨੂੰ), (they) keep the Lord’s Amrit enshrined within their Hearts (sggs 1281).
Where is this One Amrit located?
The SGGS has already told us (1) what the One Amrit is. Now, the SGGS tells us (2) exactly from where we all can obtain it (i.e., realize it).
It’s all within — continually raining down!
- ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮਨੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ॥: O Nanak! (This Naam) Amrit is within the mind (of everybody, but it is), obtained by “Gur Parsaadi” (Grace of the Gur-Giaan, Wisdom…). (sggs 1238).
We are told by the SGGS that within each of us is the well filled with the Amrit. Consider the following verses (and many more in the SGGS). They are very straightforward and self-explanatory.
- ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਦੇਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥: New Treasure of Amrit is the Divine Naam. Within (to whom the Naam is sweet) the inner body (“Daehee-ਦੇਹੀ” = “Daehee Gupat- ਦੇਹੀ ਗੁਪਤ”, Nirakkar or soul within, Mool…) is its place of rest. (sggs 293).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਖੂਹਟਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਕਾਢਿ ਪੀਐ ਪਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥: Deep Within this body is the well overflowing with the Amrit; the Water-carrier (one engaged in Naam-Jap or understanding the Gur-Shabad) draws and drinks it through the Shabad (sggs 570).
Now, how can this Amrit (nectar) be Prepared? The SGGS tells us exactly how!
As flowers of the Mahooaa tree is used to produce molasses to forment the wine, similarly, the SGGS urges us to produce the Molasses of Giaan (Wisdom) from the tree of the Dhiaan of the Gur-Shabad (Shabad-Vichaar):
- ਗੁੜੁ ਕਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਧਾਵੈ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਸੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ਭਾਠੀ ਭਵਨੁ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਕਾ ਪੋਚਾ ਇਤੁ ਰਸਿ ਅਮਿਉ ਚੁਆਈਐ ॥੧॥: Make Giaan (Wisdom) your Molasses, and meditation (Consciousness or Surat attuned to the Naam) your flowers (of Mahooaa or Basia-latifolia tree, which are used to forment wine); let high conduct (good deeds, practice, etc.) be the fermenting bark. Make this body the furnace (used to make wine – ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਕੱਢਣ ਦੀ ਭੱਠੀ), and your love (Prema-Bhagti) the plaster (ਠੰਡਾ ਪੋਚਾ ਜੋ ਅਰਕ ਵਾਲੀ ਨਾਲੀ ਉਤੇ ਫੇਰਨਾ ਹੈ). In this way the Amrit (which bestows Eternal Life-ਅਟੱਲ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ) is distilled. ||1|| (sggs 360).
The SGGS consistently tells us as to what the Amrit is, but the SGGS also remind us that it is located within the body, here and now. For the Naam or Shabad to be located within, the Amrit also has to be located within as well. Because the Naam or Shabad is the Amrit, and the Amrit is the Naam or Shabad or Bani!
ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਿਲਿ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ ॥੭॥: Within is the Treasure of the Shabad; (but) it is obtained by eradicating self-conceit (ਪਰੰਤੂ ਆਪਾ-ਭਾਵ ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ) ||7|| (sggs 228).
Qualifying for this One Amrit
The SGGS consistently guides us to become the Gurmukh. The SGGS says: the “rare” “Gurmukhs obtain it”.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵਰਸੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਕੋਈ ਜਨੁ ਪਾਏ ॥: When one is established in Sahaj (Sahaj-Avasthaa, natural state of being, ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ..), the Amrit rains down (within him). How rare are those who by becoming the Gurmukhs obtain it (sggs 119).
Who is a Gurmukh? Simply put, a Gurmukh is:
- Giaanwaan – A Wise person who understands the Gur-Giaan (Wisdom of the SGGS) and lives it in daily life.
- He possesses the Bibek-Budhi of the SGGS.
- He possesses the point of view of the SGGS.
- His mind so transformed, he thinks (ਸੋਚ), acts, and speaks in accordance with the Wisdom of the SGGS.
- Liberated while still alive, he lives his entire life according to the Gur-Giaan (the Gurmukh Lifesyle), NOT according to the self-serving Pujaaree system.
- He thus continuously revels in Sukh Saagar, Sachkhand, Mool, Paarbrahm, Aatam Teerath …
The more one gets established in his True Nature (Mool), the more one drinks in the Amrit (the Gurmukh Lifestyle). This is the Gurbani’s edict:
- ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਸਾਹਬੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੇਉ ॥: By becoming the Gurmukh, the more the “Sahib” (Mool, source, Jot, True Nature…) abides within (my) mind, the more (I) drink in the Amrit (sggs 20).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੇਰੀ ॥: O Divine! Your Bani is Ammrit (sggs 103).
In nutshell, the Amrit can be tasted or realized only by turning within. It is to die in the Shabad — the Gurmukh Lifestyle. The SGGS says that the Gurmukh enjoys this Amrit night and day by annihilating his false ego-sense (Haumai).
To the contrary, if we keep entertaining Manmukh lifestyle (opposite of the Gurmukh), our condition will be that of a deer who known for searching musk (Kastooree) in the bushes. In reality, the musk is stored within the deer’s body, but due to ignorance, the deer keeps searching it outside in the bushes! Similarly, even though the Amrit dwells within our body, we keep searching It in the gross objects of the outer world!
- ਘਰ ਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਭਰਪੂਰੁ ਹੈ ਮਨਮੁਖਾ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਕਸਤੂਰੀ ਮਿਰਗੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਭ੍ਰਮਦਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇਆ ॥: As the body-house (the Soul, Heart, etc.) is brimful with the Amrit (Naam), still, because of the deluded mind, the self-willed Manmukh (perverse, one in material consciousness, etc.) does not recognize or experience it. (He is) like the deer, who does not recognize its own musk-scent (that is located within its own body); (but to find the musk-scent) it wanders around, deluded by doubt (sggs 644).
Hence, according to the SGGS, the process needs to begin from the interior — inside-out. In other words, external Karamkaand (rituals, dogmas, pilgrimages, ablutions, Akhand Paath, etc.) will not do the trick. The Wisdom of the Gurbani is meant to be understood and applied. In nutshell, according to the SGGS:
Shabad-Vichaar is drinking or Taking Amrit!
According to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib:
To Drink Amrit = to engage in Shabad –Vichaar!
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥੧॥: O Nanak! (However, those who have) become the Gurmukh drink the Amrit by reflecting on the Shabad (i.e., Shabad-Vichaar). (sggs 646).
We sing /listen /read the following first thing in the morning, everyday (Aasaa Dee Vaar) that the mind which is agreeable or pleased with the GIAAN of the SGGS continually drinks the Amrit:
- ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਈਆ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਛਕਿ ਛਕੇ ॥: Those whose minds are pleased with the Gurbni (the Giaan or Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad), continually quaff the Amrit (sggs 449).
The Satiguru (ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ – SGGS) is the Giver of the Amrit-Naam or Amrit-Giaan (Divine Wisdom, Soojg-Boojh...). Hence, the Satiguru is said to be the SROVAR (“ਸਰੁ-Saru”, pond…) of the Amrit. It’s the filthy mind that needs to bathe in this Srovar of the GIAAN.
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਮਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਚੁਕਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The Satiuru is the True pool of Amrit, bathing in it, the mind is washed clean of its filth (i.e., Bikaar-internal negatives…). ||1||Pause|| (sggs 113).
- ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥: Bani is (the embodiment) of the Guroo and the Guroo is (the embodiment of) the Bani. The Amrit is contained in the whole of Bani (sggs 982).
Mind has to become Amritdhaaree by drinking the Amrit of the Gurbani daily — Surat or consciousness has to constantly drink and live the Amrit of the Gurbani’s Giaan (Wisdom), Divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ), Shabad-Vichaar, Divine thoughts (Soch), Truth, Gurmukh Lifestyle (ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਹੀ ਜੀਵਨ ਬਣ ਜਾਵੇ)…