Jaat Paat — madness of belief in Jaat Paat (caste) — is the dirty game played by the wicked mind!
Also, there is no distinction of material wealth, nationality, color of skin, family of birth, name, fame, power, education, knowledge, titles, etc.
In other words, anybody can come to a Gurdwara and learn and seek the Divine Wisdom (Giaan) of the SGGS. For Gurdwara is school of the Sikhi.
Hence, addressing the ego-mind, the SGGS asserts:
- ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਤਿਆਗੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Listen to the Gurmat and renounce the mind’s intellect (corrupt thinking that creates divisions, faulty understanding-ਮਾੜੀ ਸੋਚ …) . ||1||Pause|| (sggs 814).
- ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਭਜਨ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਹੈ ਹੋਰਾ ॥ ਵਰਮੀ ਮਾਰੀ ਸਾਪੁ ਨ ਮਰਈ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਸੁਨਈ ਡੋਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : The intellect to unite with “Gobind” (Mool, Truth…) is different. If one does not listen to the Naam (then his external religious Karamkaand is akin to beating the snake-hole instead of the snake, but, by just) beating the snake-hole, the snake is not killed. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 381).
Yet, the madness of belief in non-essentials like Jaat Paat has a strong hold in Sikhs! In one hand, the propagators of the Dharma mouth platitudes about a casteless society preached by the Gurus and the Bhagats, but on the other hand, they practice it madly. What a paradox and hypocrisy!
Similarly, any one who discriminates others based on criteria like “low” or “high”, poor or rich, nationality, color of skin, family of birth, etc., cannot be a true Sikh because the SGGS does not support such stupidity.
In other words, the caste-conscious person is a denier of Truth (Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree…) who has confounded his True Identity (Jot-Sroop, Pure Nature) for the physical body-frame. Consequently, he identifies himself and others as Jatt Sikh, Saini Sikh, Bhaapaa Sikh, Rorra Sikh, Tarkhaan or Raamgarheeaa Sikh, Mazhabee Sikh, Khatree Sikh, Lavaanaa Sikh, Kookaa Sikh, Naamdhaaree Sikh, Nihang Sikh, Nirmalay Sikh, Brahmin Sikh, list goes on and on. Now, in the West, there seems to be a new class of Sikhs called Caucasian Sikhs (Gore or white Sikhs)! Consequent of this madness of belief in Jaat Paat or “high” or “low” are many. For example:
- Most Sikh marriages are organized along the caste lines. Within Sikhs, if a boy or a girl from one caste marries someone from a different caste without mutual consent of their parents, it sometimes turns into a bloody tragedy. Thus, Jatt Sikh, Saini Sikh, Bhaapaa Sikh, Rorha Sikh, Tarkhaan or Raamgarheeaa Sikh, Mazhabee Sikh, Khatree Sikh, Lavaanaa Sikh, etc., rarely intermarry.
- Many Gurdawaras are built along the caste lines i.e.(Jatt Gurdwara, , Saini Gurdwara, Lavaanaa Gurdwara, etc.). In many villages in Punjab (India), Mazhabees or Dalits who are considered lower beings by some (fraud Sikhs) have their own Gurdawaras and even separate cremation grounds. Many Gurdawara, thus, are built based on ill feelings created by the madness of belief in Jaat-Paat or “high” or “low” rather than a genuine spiritual cause. The corrupt Pujaaree groups and the Pujaaree system have exacerbated the problem.
In the following Sloak, Kabeer Sahib repudiates this madness of Jaat Paat. Because of his Julaahaa Jaat (weaver caste), Kabeer Sahib was treated as a lower being (Shoodar…) by those who considered themselves of higher caste.
- ਕਬੀਰ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਕਉ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਹਸਨੇਹਾਰੁ ॥ ਬਲਿਹਾਰੀ ਇਸ ਜਾਤਿ ਕਉ ਜਿਹ ਜਪਿਓ ਸਿਰਜਨਹਾਰੁ ॥੨॥: O Kabeer! Everyone laughs at my caste (ਮਖੋਲ ਕਰਨਾਂ). (But) I am a sacrifice to this caste (I consider it topmost), (by taking birth) in which I have Realized (Understood, Known…) Creator (Mool, Source, Jot…). ||2|| (sggs 1364).
It’s not the family of birth, material wealth, name, fame, power, education, knowledge, titles, etc., that makes one of low or high caste. Who is low or high depends solely on how one lives his life. For example, by merely taking birth in a so called Sikh or a Brahmin family, one does not become a Sikh or a Brahmin. If both of them act in a corrupt or conditioned consciousness, they are in fact Shoodras themselves (of low caste, wretched…).
In fact, according to the Gurbani, one does not even qualify to be called a human being just because he is born in a human form, what to speak of “low” and “high” caste heredity!
- ਗਰਭ ਵਾਸ ਮਹਿ ਕੁਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਤੀ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਿੰਦੁ ਤੇ ਸਭ ਉਤਪਾਤੀ ॥੧॥ ਕਹੁ ਰੇ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਬ ਕੇ ਹੋਏ ॥ ਬਾਮਨ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਮਤ ਖੋਏ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜੌ ਤੂੰ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੀ ਜਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਉ ਆਨ ਬਾਟ ਕਾਹੇ ਨਹੀ ਆਇਆ ॥੨॥ ਤੁਮ ਕਤ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਹਮ ਕਤ ਸੂਦ ॥ ਹਮ ਕਤ ਲੋਹੂ ਤੁਮ ਕਤ ਦੂਧ ॥੩॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੈ ॥ ਸੋ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਕਹੀਅਤੁ ਹੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ॥੪॥੭॥: In the womb, no lineage and cast is known. (One) Brahm is the Source of all ||1|| (Kabeer Sahib questions) since when have you been a Brahmin? Don’t waste your life by continually claiming to be a Brahmin. ||1||Pause|| If you are indeed a Brahmin, born of a Brahmin mother, then why didn’t you come by some other way? ||2|| How is it that you are a Brahmin, and I am of a low caste? Is it that I have blood (in my veins), and you have milk (in your veins)? ||3|| Says Kabeer, one who contemplates the Brahm, is said to be a Brahmin among us. ||4||7|| (sggs 324).
Death kills all equally — rich and poor, low and high, and so on. In other words, death makes everybody same. Some cremate all their dead, some bury their all, etc. In other words, death makes Jaat Paat disappears; all become the same (ਇੱਕ-ਸਮਾਨ) when dead.
- ਰਾਜਾ ਪਰਜਾ ਸਮ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਰੈ ਐਸੋ ਕਾਲੁ ਬਡਾਨੀ ਰੇ ॥੨॥ : The king and his subjects are equally killed by death; such is the power of Death. ||2|| (sggs 855).
A person may be a so called Sant, Baabaa, Brahmin, etc., but when he is in dire need of blood transfusion to survive, then nobody will inquire if that blood comes from a poor, or a rich, or a Brahmin, or a Amritdhaaree, or a clean shaven, etc. Furthermore, when they buy stuff like clothes, food, etc., they never ask who have touched that stuff prior to them buying it, eating it, or wearing it!
The Gurbani roars that the madness of false pride of caste or “high” or “low” results in increase or instigation of Bikaar (lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride...). Those having this pride of “high” caste are called “fool” and “ignorant” in the Gurbani. To put it otherwise, as the Gurbani indicates, those who practice caste or “high” or “low” distinction and feel pride of their belief in Jaat Paat are stupid and ignorant.
- ਜਾਤਿ ਕਾ ਗਰਬੁ ਨ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖ ਗਵਾਰਾ ॥ ਇਸੁ ਗਰਬ ਤੇ ਚਲਹਿ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਵਿਕਾਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Do not be proud of your (higher or ਉੱਚੀ) Jaati, you ignorant fool! So much Bikaar comes from this pride. ||1||Rahaaou|| (sggs 1127-1128).
The Gurbani wants us to transform the mind from Manmukh-hood to Gurmukh-hood (follower of Truth, Divine Life…). And, according to the Gurbani, the Jaat and Paat (ਉੱਚੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਤੇ ਕੁਲ) of a Gurmukh is none oter than the Naam (Giaan, Wisdom of the SGGS…).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਤਿ ਪਤਿ ਨਾਮੇ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥: In Naam is “Jaati Pati” and honor of who has become the Gurmukh (sggs 230).
According to the Gurbani, the Way to eradicate the notion of low and high is to recognize the One Universal Energy in Mann (ਮੱਨ, mind…) and Chitt (ਚਿੱਤ, Consciousness, faculty of discerning, Understanding…), in everyone, everywhere…
- ਅਰਧ ਉਰਧ ਬਿਚਿ ਸਮ ਪਹਿਚਾਣਿ ॥ ਨੀਚ ਊਚ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਨ ਅਮਾਨ ॥: Recognize the (the Universal Energy) alike in “Aradh” (i.e., the Mayaic mind, Mann…) and “Uradh” (i.e., Chitt, the Divine Consciousness – when the mind turns away or transcends Maya, it becomes “Uradh”…)?. (Then, for you, there will be) no high or low (ਨੀਵਾਂ ਜਾਂ ਉੱਚਾ), no honor or dishonor (ਆਦਰ ਜਾਂ ਨਿਰਾਦਰੀ). (sggs 344).
In nutshell, the Gurbani tells us that the madness of belief in Jaat Paat indicates one’s doubt-ridden condition (ਭਰਮਾ / ਵਹਿਮਾ ਦਾ ਪਟਿੱਆ ਹੋਇਆ).
- ਉਤਮ ਮਧਿਮ ਜਾਤੀਂ ਜਿਨਸੀ ਭਰਮਿ ਭਵੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: High and low, caste and status – the world wanders lost in doubt (ਉੱਚੀਆਂ ਨੀਵੀਆਂ ਜਾਤਾਂ ਤੇ ਕਿਸਮਾਂ ਦੇ ਭਰਮ / ਵਹਿਮਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਖੁਆਰ ਹੋਣਾਂ). (sggs 1243).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਵੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਸਨਾਤਿ ॥੪॥੩॥: O Nanak, without the Name, (Jeev) are wretched outcasts (ਨੀਚ, low…). ||4||3|| (sggs 10).
- ਕਉਨ ਵਡਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥ ਸੋ ਵਡਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਰਾਮ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Nobody is great (High, big…) by the greatness of Maya (material wealth). (He) alone is great, who is attuned to Raam (Source, Reality, Mool). ||1||Pause|| (sggs 188).
- ਜਾਤਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਨਹ ਪੂਛੀਐ ਸਚ ਘਰੁ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਤਾਇ ॥ ਸਾ ਜਾਤਿ ਸਾ ਪਤਿ ਹੈ ਜੇਹੇ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਇ ॥: O Nanak! Do not ask about (someone’s) “Jaati” or birth (family). (If you must ask, then ask) how to realize Truth in the Heart. (Jaat Paat of a person) is as he acts (sggs 1330).
In nutshell, therefore, until the deluded head is given up (faulty thinking, …), none can play the Divine Game (or the Divine Life) of the Gurmat!
- ਉਲਟਿ ਜਾਤਿ ਕੁਲ ਦੋਊ ਬਿਸਾਰੀ ॥ ਸੁੰਨ ਸਹਜ ਮਹਿ ਬੁਨਤ ਹਮਾਰੀ ॥੧॥: Turning (the mind) away (from the worldliness, Maya, Bikaar…), I have forgotten both my social class and ancestry (i.e., now I understand that the Divine life is beyond Jaat-Paat). I’am now weaved in spiritual stillness (i.e., established in a state beyond thoughts of Bikaar, Maya…). ||1|| (sggs 1158).