The Gurbani never gets tired of reminding us that the Thakur (the Lord, Truth, Source, Origin, Jot, Mool, ਸਚ…) is ever present within the Heart.
But, due to cataract of Maya, we are unable to see, feel, or Realize This Divine Presence within. In other words, because of our Mayaic Budhi or Mayaic intellect, we can only perceive the layer of matter, which covers or hide our Mool within (Source, Origin, Joti-Svaroopa…).
However, those who are Spiritually evolved (the Gurmukhs) can easily recognize the Divine Presence within the body temple. What qualification they have, which makes them able to see the Unseen within? The Gurbani tells us exactly what that qualification is:
First, thoroughly Understand the Gurbani’s real meanings (not worldly meaning) through the earnest Shabad-Vichaar.
Second, after having thoroughly Understood the true meanings of the Gurbani (ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਦੇ ਅਸਲੀ ਅਰਥਾਂ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ), then apply that Aatam-Giaan of the Gurbani to daily life (i.e., live it!) – unbroken (“ਸਾਸ ਸਾਸ ਸਾਸ”) remembrance of that Understanding (ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ…) of the Gurbani when transacting with the outside world of objects, sphere of emotions, and the realm of thoughts (ਫੁਰਨੇ, ਇੱਛਾਵਾਂ, desires…)…
Once the Gurbani’s Aatam-Giaan and Bibek-Budhi has totally permeated the Heart (ਜੇ / ਜਦੋਂ ਗੁਬਾਣੀ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਜੀਵ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਟਿਕ ਜਾਏ, ਮਨ ਵਿਚ (ਸਮੋਇ) ਮਿਲ ਜਾਏ ਤਾਂ), then, the Gurbani says, the Thakur’s Presence is Realized within. The Gurbani:
- ਚਿਤ ਮਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਸਚਿ ਵਸੈ ਭਾਈ ਜੇ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਸਮੋਇ ॥੨॥: Chit mahi Thakuru sachi vasai bhaaee je gur Giaanu smoi ||2||: O Brother! Thakur, the truth, abides in the Consciousness (Heart, mind…) if the Guru’s Divine Knowledge (Spiritual Wisdom, Aatam-Giaan, Bibek-Budhi…) permeates it. ||2|| (sggs 637).
That’s it. The implication is that once our mind is linked with the Thakur within, it becomes intuitively balanced or stable (ਅਡੋਲ). All its Mayaic wanderings cease to be. Then the mind does not do any wrong.
Here the Gurbani does not tell us if one has to build so many schools, Gurdawara, etc. Neither the Gurbani tells us if one has to perform so many Akhand Path, or so many Langar (of food), or so many Tirath Yatra (Pilgrimage); or if one needs to daily complete so many rounds of rosary (ਮਾਲਾ ਫੇਰਨੀ); or if one needs to maintain certain robes (ਭੇਖ), etc. Nothing of that sort!
Which means: what we routinely and generally hear from the professional Pujaaree-Group (Bhai, Ragi, etc.) does not confirm with the Gurmat (the Aatam Giaan or Teaching of the Gurbani)!!
Thus, as the Gurbani time and again reminds us, the Gurbani’s Wisdom is meant to be Understood and applied (lived). In other words, it is not meant to be wrapped up in the designers Rumaalaas and worshipped as an idle as the professional Pujaaree-Group (Bhai, Ragi, etc.) is leading us to do and believe!!
- ਸਮਝੈ ਸੂਝੈ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਅੰਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ॥: Samjhai soojhai parhi parhi boojhai anti nirantari saachaa: If one understands, realizes and comprehends what he reads and studies, in the end he will realize that the True God dwells deep Within his nucleus (sggs 930).
- ਜਿਮੀ ਜਮਾਨ ਕੇ ਬਿਖੈ ਸਮਸਤ ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਹੈ ॥ ਨ ਘਾਟ ਹੈ ਨ ਬਾਢ ਹੈ ਨ ਘਾਟ ਬਾਢ ਹੋਤ ਹੈ ॥: Jimee jamaan ke bikhai samsat ek joti hai. Na ghaat hai na baadh hai na ghaat bhaadh hot hai: One Light pervades all the earth and sky (including Hearts of all beings). Which neither decreases nor increases (in any being) – It never decreases or increases. (Dasam Granth, 66).
- ਏਨਾ ਅਖਰਾ ਮਹਿ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਲੇਖੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥: Enaa akharaa mahi jo gurmukhi boojhai tisu siri lekhu n hoee ||2|| (sggs 432).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਪਸੂ ਭਏ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥੬॥: Binu boojhai pasu bhaye betaale ||6||: Without understanding, people become beast (-nature) and demon ||6|| (sggs 224).