ਜੂਠਾ ਸੁੱਚਾ - JOOTHAA, SUCHAA ...If someone is false (Joothaa) within,
then how can he be pure (Sucha)? (sggs 1344).
Literally, Jooth (ਜੂਠ), Joothaa (ਜੂਠਾ), Joothan (ਜੂਠਨ), etc., generally implies what is left off after eating; food touched or defiled by others; impure, impurity, polluted, filthy, filth, and so on. Some even go to the extent of not allowing anybody enter their kitchens - not from a hygienic standpoint but because of some foolish belief system and dogmas!
This is the very antithesis of the Gurmat (the Universal Teaching of the SGGS) - an act of "Biparan Kee Reet". Due to our ignorance, the majority of us lead an almost unconscious life, even though we are breathing and acting.
There is also an another meaning of Jooth (ਜੂਠ), Joothaa (ਜੂਠਾ), Joothan (ਜੂਠਨ), Joothe (ਜੂਠੇ), Joothee (ਜੂਠੀ), etc.: falsehood, inner impurity, inner filth, inner refuge, inner garbage, inner defiled or corrupted consciousness, deluded consciousness, conditioned or tainted consciousness, inner pollution, untruth, ignorance, etc. All these are just a few of the variations of the five (Panch or Panj) faults of the false ego-sense (Haume): lust, anger, greed emotional attachments, and pride. Baabaa Nanak Says:
- ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਤਨਿ ਜੂਠਿ ਹੈ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੈ ਝੂਠੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਸੂਚਾ ਹੋਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਅਭ ਸਬਦ ਨ ਮਾਂਜੀਐ ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਸਚੁ ਹੋਇ ॥: Mani joothai tani jooth hai jihavaa joothee hoi....: If the mind is polluted, then the body is polluted, and the tongue is polluted as well (i.e., all senses become defiled with Bikaars). With false mouths, people speak falsehood. They cannot be made pure (by external Karamkaand). Without the Holy Water of the Shabad, they are not cleansed. From the True One alone comes (this) Truth. (sggs 56).
To the contrary, the terms such as ਸੁੱਚ (Sucha), ਸੁੱਚਾ (Suchaa), ਸੂਚਾ (Soochaa), ਸੁੱਚਤਾ (Suchataa), ਸੂਚੇ (Sooche), etc., are opposite of ਜੂਠ (Jooth), ਜੂਠਾ (Joothaa), etc.
There must be reasons as to why the Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) talks about all this. One thing is for sure: the Gurbani neither supports such nonsense, nor encourages it, and nor recommends it. In fact, such empty rituals are totally contrary to the Universal Teaching of the SGGS (Gurmat).
Let's get right to it. In a nutshell, the practice of gaudy, superficial display of ਜੂਠ (Jooth), ਸੁੱਚ (Sucha), etc,. is indicated to be the way of the Haume (false ego-sense). In other words, the practice of such empty rituals are symptomatic of one's being a fanatic or a stubborn minded person. And a fanatic or a stubborn minded person is indicated to be a first class fool (Moorakh)!
- ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਿਅ ਮਾਨੇ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਰੀਸਾ ..: Jo priya maane tin kee reesaa...: He competes with those who have been accepted by the Beloved (God). This is how stubborn the false fool is! He wears religious robes, but he does not practice Truth (sggs 972).
- ਸਚਾ ਅਲਖ ਅਭੇਉ ਹਠਿ ਨ ਪਤੀਜਈ ...: Sachaa alakh abheyu hathi na pateejayee...: The True, Unseen, Mysterious (God) is not won over by stubbornness. Some sing according to traditional ragas, but God is not pleased by these ragas. Some dance and dance and keep the beat, but they do not worship Him with devotion. Some refuse to eat; what can be done with these fools? By such acts, their thirst and desire greatly increase; consequently, nothing can bring them satisfaction. Some are tied down by rituals; they hassle themselves to death. In this world, the spiritual awakening comes by drinking in the Amrit-Naam. As the Gurmukh, become absorbed with the (Lord's) loving devotion of the Supreme (sggs 1285).
- ਬਰਤ ਸੰਧਿ ਸੋਚ ਚਾਰ ॥ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ ਕੁੰਟਿ ਨਿਰਾਹਾਰ ॥ ਅਪਰਸ ਕਰਤ ਪਾਕਸਾਰ ॥ ਨਿਵਲੀ ਕਰਮ ਬਹੁ ਬਿਸਥਾਰ ॥ ਧੂਪ ਦੀਪ ਕਰਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮ ਤੁਲਿ ਨ ਲਾਗੇ ॥: Brat sandhi sovh chaar. Kriaa kunt niraahaar. Apras karat paaksaar. Nivalee karam bahu bisthaar. Bhoop deep karte Hari Naam tul na laage: (O my mind) fasts, prayers (ਸੰਧਿਆ), bodily purification (ablutions, etc.), performing Karma, wandering in four directions (ਚਾਰ ਕੁੰਟਾਂ), living without food, cooking food without touching anyone (ਬਾਹਰਲੀ ਸੁੱਚਤਾ), Nivalee Karam (ਨਿਵਲੀ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਨਾ - ਆਂਦਰਾਂ ਦਾ ਅੱਭਿਆਸ), making a similarly great show, burning incense and devotional lamps — none of these are equal to the Lord’s Name (sggs 1229).
At the time of Baabaa Nanak (also before him), Brahmins or Pundits - on account of their foolishness, ignorance, stupidity, stubborn mindedness and fanaticism - used to cook their own food in separate kitchens and utensils. The majority of them (if not all!) still do! They have been practicing this nonsense for centuries. That's why what SGGS says about their empty rituals is what it says!
However, now it seems like there is a new class of Sikhs as well: the Brahmins Sikhs! They also cook their separate food just like Brahmins or Pundits! Many such fanatics will refuse to partake in the Langar (common kitchen) or eat with the rest of the Sangat (congregation). Instead, they cook their own food in their separate utensils and kitchens. They don't want anybody to touch their food (make it ਜੂਠਾ). To put it mildly, this is one of the burning examples of a stupid person's display of his deluded consciousness (or Manmukhtaa). Not only food, they will not even let anybody touch their clothes!
The author is not making this up. This is neither a hearsay nor a fiction. The author has seen such idiots with his own eyes. Probably many of you also have come across them. In fact some of them call themselves Sant (saints), Baabaa, Brahm Giaanee, and so on. One wonders if they are Sikhs! If they are, then, don't they read SGGS?
- ਮਨ ਕਾ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਹਵਾ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਕੂੜੁ ॥ ਅਖੀ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਵੇਖਣਾ ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਪਰ ਧਨ ਰੂਪੁ ॥ ਕੰਨੀ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਕੰਨਿ ਪੈ ਲਾਇਤਬਾਰੀ ਖਾਹਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੰਸਾ ਆਦਮੀ ਬਧੇ ਜਮ ਪੁਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ॥੨॥: Man kaa sootaku lobhu hai jihvaa sootaku koorhu...: Sootak of the mind is greed, and the Sootak of the tongue is falsehood. Sootak of the eyes is to gaze upon the beauty of another woman and wealth pertaining to another. The Sootak of the ears is to listen to the slander of others. O Nanak! (These kind of people, even if they look beutiful on the outside like) Hans (swans), (but still) bound they end up in the city of death (i.e., hellish existence, doubt-ridden existence...) ||2|| (sggs 472).
Apparently, what they do is because of some nonsensical belief system and dogmas that has nothing to do with the SGGS. They are controlled by fears arising from the false ego-sense (Haume) that seeks security, safety, and shelter in falsehood. The Gurmat (Aatam Giaan of the Gurbani) liberates us from superstitions, confusion, limitedness, foolishness (Moorakhataa), and morbid fear. It gives us hope, purpose, consciousness of spiritual need, and joy.
The SGGS repudiates (ਖੰਡਨ: Khandan) very crux of all types of rituals:
- ਮਾਤਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਪਿਤਾ ਭੀ ਜੂਠਾ ਜੂਠੇ ਹੀ ਫਲ ਲਾਗੇ ॥ ਆਵਹਿ ਜੂਠੇ ਜਾਹਿ ਭੀ ਜੂਠੇ ਜੂਠੇ ਮਰਹਿ ਅਭਾਗੇ ॥੧॥ ਕਹੁ ਪੰਡਿਤ ਸੂਚਾ ਕਵਨੁ ਠਾਉ ॥ ਜਹਾਂ ਬੈਸਿ ਹਉ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਖਾਉ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਬੋਲਤ ਜੂਠਾ ਕਰਨ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਸਭਿ ਜੂਠੇ ॥ ਇੰਦ੍ਰੀ ਕੀ ਜੂਠਿ ਉਤਰਸਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਅਗਨਿ ਕੇ ਲੂਠੇ ॥੨॥ ਅਗਨਿ ਭੀ ਜੂਠੀ ਪਾਨੀ ਜੂਠਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਬੈਸਿ ਪਕਾਇਆ ॥ ਜੂਠੀ ਕਰਛੀ ਪਰੋਸਨ ਲਾਗਾ ਜੂਠੇ ਹੀ ਬੈਠਿ ਖਾਇਆ ॥੩॥ ਗੋਬਰੁ ਜੂਠਾ ਚਉਕਾ ਜੂਠਾ ਜੂਠੀ ਦੀਨੀ ਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਤੇਈ ਨਰ ਸੂਚੇ ਸਾਚੀ ਪਰੀ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ ॥੪॥੧॥੭॥: Maataa joothee pitaa bhee joothaa...: The mother is Joothee (defiled consciousness, conditioned consciousness or impure consciousness, etc.), and the father is Joothaa. The fruit they produce (their children) is also Joothaa. Joothe they come, and Joothe they go. The unfortunate ones die in Jooth (defiled or impure, etc.). ||1|| Tell me, O Pandit, O religious scholar, which place is uncontaminated (Soochaa)? Where should I sit to eat my meal (so that it may remain Soochaa)? ||1||Pause|| The tongue is Joothee (impure, etc.), and its speech is Joothee. The eyes and ears are all Joothe. The Jooth of the sexual organs does not depart; the Brahmin is burnt by the fire (of the false pride of being Suchaa Brahmin). ||2|| The fire is Joothee, the water is Joothaa, and the one who cooks is also Joothee. Joothee is the ladle which serves the food. Joothe is the one who sits down to eat it. ||3|| Joothaa is the cow dung (used to besmear floors), and impure is the kitchen square. Jooth are the lines that mark it off (the kitchen markings that indicate not to enter there). Says Kabeer, they alone are pure, who have obtained pure understanding. ||4||1||7|| (sggs 1195).
The SGGS thunders that no one would be helped along with such nonsense rituals stemming from ignorance, thoughtless behavior, deluded mentality, doubts, selfish desires, superstitions and fears. Accordingly, the Gurbani repudiates such empty practices, because they will not help anybody realize God. In the the Sloks of the Bani popularly know as Asa Di Var - pronounced Aasaa Dee Vaar - Baabaa Nanak says:
- ਮਾਣਸ ਖਾਣੇ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਜ ॥ ਛੁਰੀ ਵਗਾਇਨਿ ਤਿਨ ਗਲਿ ਤਾਗ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਘਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣ ਪੂਰਹਿ ਨਾਦ ॥ ਉਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਭਿ ਆਵਹਿ ਓਈ ਸਾਦ ॥ ਕੂੜੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਕੂੜਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ॥ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਆਹਾਰੁ ॥ ਸਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਕਾ ਡੇਰਾ ਦੂਰਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੂੜੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰਿ ॥ ਮਥੈ ਟਿਕਾ ਤੇੜਿ ਧੋਤੀ ਕਖਾਈ ॥ ਹਥਿ ਛੁਰੀ ਜਗਤ ਕਾਸਾਈ ॥ ਨੀਲ ਵਸਤ੍ਰ ਪਹਿਰਿ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥ ਮਲੇਛ ਧਾਨੁ ਲੇ ਪੂਜਹਿ ਪੁਰਾਣੁ ॥ ਅਭਾਖਿਆ ਕਾ ਕੁਠਾ ਬਕਰਾ ਖਾਣਾ ॥ ਚਉਕੇ ਉਪਰਿ ਕਿਸੈ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ॥ ਦੇ ਕੈ ਚਉਕਾ ਕਢੀ ਕਾਰ ॥ ਉਪਰਿ ਆਇ ਬੈਠੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ॥ ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ ਵੇ ਮਤੁ ਭਿਟੈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਅੰਨੁ ਅਸਾਡਾ ਫਿਟੈ ॥ ਤਨਿ ਫਿਟੈ ਫੇੜ ਕਰੇਨਿ ॥ ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਚੁਲੀ ਭਰੇਨਿ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥ ਸੁਚਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥: Maanas khaane karahi nivaaj ... (sggs 471-472).
- ਪਹਿਲਾ ਸੁਚਾ ਆਪਿ ਹੋਇ ਸੁਚੈ ਬੈਠਾ ਆਇ ॥ ਸੁਚੇ ਅਗੈ ਰਖਿਓਨੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਭਿਟਿਓ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਸੁਚਾ ਹੋਇ ਕੈ ਜੇਵਿਆ ਲਗਾ ਪੜਣਿ ਸਲੋਕੁ ॥ ਕੁਹਥੀ ਜਾਈ ਸਟਿਆ ਕਿਸੁ ਏਹੁ ਲਗਾ ਦੋਖੁ ॥ ਅੰਨੁ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਪਾਣੀ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਬੈਸੰਤਰੁ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਲੂਣੁ ਪੰਜਵਾ ਪਾਇਆ ਘਿਰਤੁ ॥ ਤਾ ਹੋਆ ਪਾਕੁ ਪਵਿਤੁ ॥ ਪਾਪੀ ਸਿਉ ਤਨੁ ਗਡਿਆ ਥੁਕਾ ਪਈਆ ਤਿਤੁ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਊਚਰਹਿ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਰਸ ਖਾਹਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਤਿਤੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਥੁਕਾ ਪਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ : Pahilaa suchaa aap hoi suchai baithaa aai ...: First, purifying himself, (the Brahmin) comes and sits in his purified enclosure. The pure foods, which no one else has touched, are placed before him (by the host). Being purified, he takes his food (which is untouched), and begins to read his sacred verses. But it is then thrown into a filthy place (i.e. stomach). Whose fault is this (that the food is thrown into a dirty place)? The corn is sacred, the water is sacred; the fire and salt are sacred (according to the ancient Indian traditions, these four are called Devtaas) as well; when the fifth thing, the ghee (which is also considered pure), is added, then the food is considered to have become become pure and sanctified. (This sanctified food, the body of Devta) Coming into contact with the sinful human body, the (sanctified) food becomes so impure that it is spat upon. Similarly, says Nanak, that mouth which does not chant the Naam, and without the Name eats tasty foods - know this: such a mouth is to be spat upon ||1|| (sggs 473).
It's not that the Gurbani is only telling Brahmins or Pundits not to practice such worthless rituals, it is also urging the Sikhs as well!! If a Sikh does than why wouldn't a Brahmin be helped along with his rituals, or a Muslim or a Christian or a Yogi with his? How absurd! The fact of the matter is that the Gurbani's instructions are for the good of all mankind; including Sikhs as well.
Yet, many self-appointed Sikhs, Sant (saints) and Baabaas (and their followers) fanatically cook their own food; using their separate utensils and kitchens! Although they attend and preach in congregations at religious gatherings, but refuse to eat food from the Langar, or share their own cooking with the Sangat. According to the Gurbani, whosoever practices such absurd rituals is a fool, fanatic, ignorant or Manmukh; because he does not understand. Apparently, when it comes to the Gurmat, God and spiritual matters, a Manmukh does not know the Sikhi Siddhaant form a hole in a wall! The interesting thing is that many who carry on such bogus rituals (of all their pompous shows - ਅਡੰਬਰ) call themselves Sant (saints) and pure ones!
- ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਸਗਲ ਦੁਖ ਪਾਵਤ ਜਿਉ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਬਢਾਇ ਸੂਤ ਕੇ ਹਟੂਆ ॥ ਪੂਜਾ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਕਰਤ ਸੋਮਪਾਕਾ ਅਨਿਕ ਭਾਂਤਿ ਥਾਟਹਿ ਕਰਿ ਥਟੂਆ ॥੨॥੧੧॥੨੦॥: Bin har bhajan sagal dukh paavat jiou prem badhaai soot ke hatooaa. Poojaa chakkar karat sompaakaa anik bhaanti thaatahi kar thatooyaa: Many perform worship ceremonies, draw ritual marks on their bodies, cook their own food fanatically (ਸੁੱਚ ਦੀ ਖਾਤਰ), and make pompous shows of themselves in all sorts of ways. Without devotional worship of the Lord, they all suffer in pain, caught in the tangled web of their love (of all their pompous shows - ਅਡੰਬਰ). ||2||11||20|| (sggs 1389).
Clearly, the intellect that gets cut off from the Mool within (Source, Origin, Jot...) by becoming stubborn becomes the external or false ego (Haume). When a person is represented by such conditioned intellect (Mayaic Budhi), his conduct becomes stubborn, unyielding, corrupt, untruthful, selfish, fanatic, and so on. He loses the sense of consequences of his actions! Accordingly, he refuses to hearken to God and His Word; and he refuses to receive correction.
- ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਜੋ ਪਹਿਰੈ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਕੂਕਰੁ ਜੂਠਨ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਇ ॥੧॥: Naam binaa jo pahiarai khaai. Jiou kookar joothan mahi paai ||1||: Without the Naam, one who dresses and eats well is like a dog, who eats filthy foods - Joothan ||1|| (sggs 240).
The Gurbani tells us exactly how anyone can gain true Suchataa (ਸੁੱਚਤਾ) - inner purity - and how each one of us can become Suchaa (ਸੁੱਚਾ), ਸੂਚਾ (Soochaa), ਸੂਚੇ (Sooche), etc. - pure, unconditioned, unpolluted, truthful, and so on. As indicated in the Gurbani, one cannot become Suchaa (ਸੁੱਚਾ) without Shabad-Vichaar.
- ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਤੇਈ ਨਰ ਸੂਚੇ ਸਾਚੀ ਪਰੀ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ ॥: Kabeer teyee nar sooche saachee paree bichaaraa: Says Kabeer, they alone are pure (Sooche), who contemplate (Vichaar) the Truth (sggs 1195).
- ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥ ਸੁਚਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਾ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥: Kahu Nanak sach dhiaaeeai. Such hovai taa sach paaeeai: Says Nanak, meditate on Truth. If you are pure (within), then you will obtain Truth (sggs 471-472).
- ਇਸੁ ਮਾਰੀ ਬਿਨੁ ਜੂਠਿ ਨ ਧੋਈ ॥: Is maaree bin jooth na dhoee: Without killing this (duality, Maya), one's impurity is not washed off (sggs 238).
- ਸੂਚੇ ਏਹਿ ਨ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਬਹਨਿ ਜਿ ਪਿੰਡਾ ਧੋਇ ॥ ਸੂਚੇ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਜਿਨ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ ॥: Sooche ehi na aakheeahi bahani ji pindaa dhoi. Sooche seyee Nanakaa jini mann vasiyaa soi: They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies. Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds God abides (sggs 472).
In a nutshell, as indicated by the Gurbani, we cannot become ਸੁੱਚੇ (Suche: pure from inside, etc.) without Understanding the Truth. In other words, if we are Joothe (ਜੂਠੇ) from within, then we cannot be pure. That is, so long the mind is Joothaa (false, impure, conditioned, contaminated, etc.), everything we eat will also be Joothaa.
- ਸਾਚ ਬਿਨਾ ਕਹ ਹੋਵਤ ਸੂਚਾ ॥: Saach bina kah hovat soochaa: Without the Truth, how can anyone be pure? (sggs 269).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਜੂਠਾ ਕਿਉ ਸੁਚਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Antar joothaa kiou suchi hoi: If (someone) is impure within, (he) cannot become pure (sggs 1344).
- ਮਨਿ ਜੂਠੈ ਵੇਜਾਤਿ ਜੂਠਾ ਖਾਇਆ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਆਚਾਰੁ ਨ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਓਅੰਕਾਰਿ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥: Mani joothai vejaat joothaa khaaiaa...: (People's) minds are false and impure; that which they eat is impure and defiled (Joothaa). Without the Shabad, no one achieves a lifestyle of good conduct. By becoming the Gurmukh, be absorbed in the Truth, the Universal Creator (sggs 1285).
- ਜੀਅਹੁ ਮੈਲੇ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਜੀਅਹੁ ਤ ਮੈਲੇ ਤਿਨੀ ਜਨਮੁ ਜੂਐ ਹਾਰਿਆ ॥: Jeeahu mailae baaharahu niramal. Baaharahu niramal jeeahu ta mailae tinee janam jooai haariaa: (Those who only look religious or Dhaarmic outwardly) are of filthy mind (the filth of Bikaars or eveil inclinations, etc.), and (only) look outwardly pure. Those who are outwardly pure and yet polluted within, lose their lives (just as a gambler loses his money) in the gamble (sggs 919).
- ਕੁਬੁਧਿ ਡੂਮਣੀ ਕੁਦਇਆ ਕਸਾਇਣਿ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਘਟ ਚੂਹੜੀ ਮੁਠੀ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਚੰਡਾਲਿ ॥ ਕਾਰੀ ਕਢੀ ਕਿਆ ਥੀਐ ਜਾਂ ਚਾਰੇ ਬੈਠੀਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥ ਸਚੁ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਾਰਾਂ ਨਾਵਣੁ ਨਾਉ ਜਪੇਹੀ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਗੈ ਊਤਮ ਸੇਈ ਜਿ ਪਾਪਾਂ ਪੰਦਿ ਨ ਦੇਹੀ ॥੧॥: Kubudhi doomanee kudaiaa kasaain par nindaa ghat choohree muthee krodh chandaal. Kaaree kadhee kiaa theeai jaan chaare baitheeaa naali...: Evil-mindedness (within a person is as) the she-drummer; cruelty (within a person is as) the butcheress; slander of others (within a person is as) the sweepress, and deceitful anger (within a person is as) the outcast- or pariah-woman. What good are the ceremonial lines drawn around your kitchen (ਬਾਹਰ ਚੌਂਕਾ ਸੁੱਚਾ ਰੱਖਣ ਲਈ, to observe external Suchataa), when these four are seated there with you? Make Truth (ਚੌਂਕਾ ਸੁੱਚਾ ਰੱਖਣ ਲਈ, to observe Suchataa) your self-discipline, and make good deeds the lines you draw; make chanting the (Lord's) Name your cleansing bath. O Nanak, those who do not walk in the ways of sin, willl be exalted in the world hereafter. ||1|| (sggs 91) .
To put it otherwise, Jooth (ਜੂਠ) or impurity arises not from someone touching our foods, kitchen or clothes, but when we turn our face away from the Gur-Shabad. Baabaa Nanak says:
- ਮੁਹਿ ਫੇਰਿਐ ਮੁਹੁ ਜੂਠਾ ਹੋਇ ॥: Muhi feriai muhu joothaa hoi: Impurity comes from turning one's face away from God (sggs1240).
- ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਜੂਠਿ ਨ ਜਾਏ ॥: Baahar mal dhovai man kee jooth na jaaye: Outwardly, he (hypocrite) washes off the filth, but the impurity of his mind does not go away (sggs 88).
Clearly, those calling themselves Sant (saints) or the pure ones who practice Jooth (ਜੂਠ),Sucha (ਸੁੱਚ), etc. (external cleanliness, etc.) do not either (1) read the SGGS; or (2) they do not understand what they read; or (3) in their Pakhandbaajee (hypocrisy) they do not implement (ਅਮਲ) what they have read and understood. Thus, either in their stupidity or in their hypocrisy, they have taken the external meaning of the terms such as Jooth (ਜੂਠ), Sucha (ਸੁੱਚ), etc.
We should be aware of these idiots, and not encourage their stupidity. Fearlessly, we should confront them and ask them where it says in the SGGS what they practice and preach. It seems like these religious con-artists take pride in their ignorance: they celebrate their ignorance as a virtue! Apparently, these people are endangering the Sikhi by defiling it.
— T. Singh