From the One (Saabat, Mool…), we became two (divided, fragmented, two like a split grain or seed-ਦਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਦਾਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਦੋ ਫਾੜ…).
The Gurmat (Giaan or Wisdom, Upadesh or Way of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS)This human life is the opportunity given to us to become One again – ‘ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ’, to link back with the Mool-Jot Saroop. If we miss it, repeated suffering in life is certain, here and now.
Although our mind’s True Nature is Jot Saroop, but on account of its attachment to Maya it now has become like a split grain or seed (fragmented, divided, conditioned, two, ਦਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਦਾਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਦੋ ਫਾੜ…)!
- ਯਾ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਏਕਹਿ ਕਉ ਆਇਆ ॥ ਜਨਮਤ ਮੋਹਿਓ ਮੋਹਨੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥: (Man) is born in this life only to become ONE (with Prabh, Mool, etc. – through Naam…). (But) ever since (man’s) birth, (he) has been enticed and deceived by Maya. (sggs 251).
- ਬੀਉ ਬੀਜਿ ਪਤਿ ਲੈ ਗਏ ਅਬ ਕਿਉ ਉਗਵੈ ਦਾਲਿ ॥ ਜੇ ਇਕੁ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਉਗਵੈ ਰੁਤੀ ਹੂ ਰੁਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Those who planted the seed (of Divine Naam) within have departed with honor; (but) those whose mind is split in duality (fragmented-ਦਾਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਦੋ-ਫਾੜ), how can the seed (of Naam: Wisdom /Virtues) sprout in their mind?The seed sprouts only if the seed is whole (undivided-Saabat…) and if the season is proper (the seed of Naam will sprout only if the mind is not split in duality: Unfragmented, Whole-Saabat…). (sggs 468).
This split, division, or fragmentation is the result of our love for Maya (the principle of plurality…). Although Maya and Brahma are blended with everything, but, on account of our attachment or fascination for Maya, our mind either ignores or overrules what our Budhi (intellect) tells it.
- ਮਾਇਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਰਮੈ ਸਭ ਸੰਗ ॥: Maya and Brahm are blended with everything. (sggs 343).
The Gurbani teaches us that we cannot link back to our Mool (Jot Saroop), unless and until we become One again (Whole, Total, Undivided, Unconditioned, ਸਾਬਤ…), here and now. In other word, all conditioning, fragmentation, divisions, duality etc. must vanish and only One must remain.
- ਏਕੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਤਾ ਏਕੁ ਦਿਖਾਇਆ ॥੨॥: (When only) One (Truth) remains, then the One (Lord) is revealed (to him). ||2|| (sggs 886).
- ਏਕ ਜੋਤਿ ਏਕੋ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਸਭ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਇਕੁ ਕੀਜੈ ॥: The One, the Jot (Light…) of the One, abides within my mind; the One Brahm is seen in all. (sggs 1325).
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥: Thus says Nanak – O mind! You are embodiment of Pure Light (Pure Consciousness, Pure Nature, Original or Real Nature, Wisdom, Virtues – Jot Saroop …)! Recognize your Mool (ਅਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਦੀ ਪਛਾਣ, recognition of mind’s Original or True Nature – Jot Saroop…) ||5|| (sggs 441).
As taught by the Gurbani what’s the Process (Way, ਵਿਧਿ…) for becoming One again? According to the Gurbani, the Process is becoming the Gurmukh:
- ਏਕੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਤਾ ॥: A person who By becomes the Gurmukh, realizes the One ‘Niranjan‘ (without defects, Universal Energy etc.). (sggs 223).
- ਜਿਨਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਜਾਤਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਏਕੁ ਪਛਾਤਾ ॥: Who knows (ਪਛਾਣ…) the Satiguru (True Wisdom-ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ) Realizes the One. (sggs 1070).
- ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਮੁ ਮੁਰਗਾਈ ਨੈ ਸਾਣੇ ॥ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਵਖਾਣੇ ॥ ਰਹਹਿ ਇਕਾਂਤਿ ਏਕੋ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਆਸਾ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਸੋ ॥ ਅਗਮੁ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਦਿਖਾਏ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਸੋ ॥੫॥: The way to successful spirituality is to be detached from the world WHILE LIVING IN IT; just like the detachment of the Lotus from the stagnant water and the swan from the river water. O Nanak! The Journey of spirituality (i.e. to go across Bhav Saagar) is thus transversed in detachment by keeping the Message of the Shabad within our Consciousness in order to Realize / live the Virtues of God. Being detached (from worldliness) is thus to remain above desire (while living in the world) and keeping one’s mind in sole single focus of the Creator. Nanak subscribes to such detachment in the Realization of the Creator who is beyond the reach of human senses. ॥5॥ (sggs 938).
In other words, by becoming the Gurmukh, one must live to the end in Undivided Consciousness (‘ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ’). To yet put it otherwise, one must transcend the body-consciousness (animal consciousness…), duality (two-ness, Mayaic consciousness…), and so on.
In short, Internalization of the Shabad or Gurmukh-hood (Bhagat, Daas, Jan…) is the State of Mind which is characterized by Wisdom, Enlightenment, bravery, Goodness, Virtues, truthfulness, fearlessness, blissfulness (Anand), piety, Joyfulness, positivity, Happiness, balanced and poised life, Living Liberated, Mool-Abidance etc.
Thus, the Realization of the Mental State of Gurmukhs-Hood is not a social status or a title, it is a question of Mool-Abidance.
- ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਵਸੀਅਲੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣਿ ਰਹੈ ॥: Internalization of the spiritual Message of the Shabad (the Gurmukh-Hood State of Mind) enables its Essence to be Rooted (Mool) within the mind permanently. (sggs 945).
- ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਰਤਾਰਥੁ ਸੋਭਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ (sggs 445).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋਈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥ (sggs 1344).
- ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋ ਹੋਈ ॥ (sggs 232).
All Gurus and Bhagats have practically demonstrated to the entire world that this can be and must be done, here and now.
Off course, this will require commandment towards this target of life. And to meet this ultimate purpose of life, the Gurbani asks us to keep aimed at the target with the sword or arrow of Gur-Giaan or Wisdom.
- ਭਈ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਦੇਹੁਰੀਆ ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਣ ਕੀ ਇਹ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਰੀਆ ॥ ਅਵਰਿ ਕਾਜ ਤੇਰੈ ਕਿਤੈ ਨ ਕਾਮ ॥ ਮਿਲੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਜੁ ਕੇਵਲ ਨਾਮ ॥੧॥: (O Human being!) You have been blessed with a human body. This is your only opportunity to unite with the Creator. Other worldly deeds (e.g. Karamkaand, rituals, formalities, concocted concepts etc.) are of no use to you in realizing God. Therefore join the holy congregation (i.e. Satsangee Jan, seekers) and lovingly remember the divine Naam (Virtues / Wisdom). ||1|| (sggs 12).
In nutshell, the Gurbani tells us that NOBODY else can do it for us. In other words, It can NOT be made an order, or given to somebody as a readymade package, or blown into somebody’s ears, or spit into somebody’s mouth, etc.
- ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਕਾਜੁ ਸਵਾਰੀਐ ॥੨੦॥: (So long there is breath — Praan) With own hands (with effort, ਉੱਦਮ ਕਰ ਕੇ: Shabad-Vichaar …), resolve your own affair yourself. ||20|| (sggs 474).
- ਆਪਣਾ ਕਾਰਜੁ ਆਪਿ ਸਵਾਰੇ ਹੋਰਨਿ ਕਾਰਜੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਕਾਰਜਿ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਦਇਆ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਈ ॥੩॥: (One) resolves his own affair himself (i.e. the ultimate Purpose of life of God Realization); anyone else cannot do this work (for him). Only a rare Guru’s follower (Gurmukh-Hood Mindset) understands that his Realization of God requires the virtues like Godly Contentment, Compassion and Dharma. ||3|| (sggs 351).
I will call it a ruhani experience to read through the contents of this site. I think none of us can complaint that we were not informed and thus we wasted our human life out of ignorance. Everything, every secret, every wisdom has been made available by the enlightened Gurus for each one of us. It all depends how much one is ready to receive and understand,how much one wants the guru gyan to seep in the soul and free the mind (mann) from the duality. It all depends on ur readiness and eagerness. Guru has already showered his grace. We need to increase our knowing.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. Sorry, we don’t have the Sakhi you are looking for.
Here are couple of verses from the Gurbani:
ਕਾਹੇ ਰੇ ਨਰ ਗਰਬੁ ਕਰਤ ਹਹੁ ਬਿਨਸਿ ਜਾਇ ਝੂਠੀ ਦੇਹੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ (sggs 692).
ਝੂਠੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਦੁਨੀ ਗੁਮਾਨੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: (sggs 1137).
It was very interesting to read your blog. I wonder if you can help me. I have been searching the internet about a Sakhi (story) about one of the Guruji’s about “Jeena Choot Marna Saach”. (My easy translation is Living is a lie and dying is the truth). I can’t find it anywhere. I would apperciate a reply back.
Comments are closed.