Virtues (ਗੁਣ) such as Contentment are purely experiential. Hence it belongs exclusively to a person who experiences it Within for it cannot be made to an order, given as a mundane gift or transferred by one person to the other.
There is two types of contentment: (1) the worldly contentment and (2) the Godly Contentment (ਸਤ ਸੰਤੋਖ).
Worldly contentment is material based. Since its material based, it breaks down. Hence NOT lasting and Anand (Bliss, Joy…) giving.
- ਹਾ ਹਾ ਕਰਤ ਬਿਹਾਨੀ ਅਵਧਹਿ ਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥ : (My senses and thoughts imbued in Illusions) my life has passed in deeds of selfishness; the result of which I have not realized contentment. ||2|| (sggs 700).
On the other hand, the Godly Contentment is the Creator Based — allowing the Creator to come Within (i.e. Internal Realization). When contentment becomes Godly, it becomes Immortal (‘ਸਤ-Satt‘) — that which ever remains unchanged in the past, present and future.
- ਵਿਣੁ ਤੁਧੁ ਹੋਰੁ ਜਿ ਮੰਗਣਾ ਸਿਰਿ ਦੁਖਾ ਕੈ ਦੁਖ ॥ ਦੇਹਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੀਆ ਉਤਰੈ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਭੁਖ ॥: O God, to ask for anything other than Your Naam (Shabad, Giaan-Wisdom, Virtues etc.) is to invite the worst pains and sorrows for ourselves, therefore please Bless me with Your Naam, which may make me Content and the yearning of my mind for the love of worldly pleasures goes away. (sggs 958).
- ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥: The Internalization of the Shabad brings Godly contentment and Giaan (Enlightenment). (sggs 3).
- ਸਾਚੇ ਸਾਹਿਬਾ ਕਿਆ ਨਾਹੀ ਘਰਿ ਤੇਰੈ ॥ : O God! I am Content because You have come to Reside Within my mind. (sggs 917).
The spirituality of Baabaa Nanak’s Sikhi is that of Godly Contentment and Anand (Bliss, Joy…). The notion of ‘begging, ‘asking’ or persistently reminding God to give this or that is totally contrary to the spirituality of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS).
In a nutshell, Godly Contentment = Unshakable Contentment, Immortal Contentment, lasting contentment, supreme Anand etc.
The Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS urges Sikhs (learners or seekers) to center lives on the Godly Contentment.
- ਸਤ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਕਾ ਧਰਹੁ ਧਿਆਨ ॥ ਕਥਨੀ ਕਥੀਐ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨ ॥੧੫॥: Fix (your) attention on Godly Contentment. Talk about the Divine Giaan-Wisdom. ॥15॥ (sggs 344).
Baabaa Nanak in the outset of the SGGS tells us that the Godly Contentment is the offspring of Compassion.
- ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ ॥ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੂਤਿ ॥ : Pure Dharma is the offspring (of the divine Virtue of) Compassion. (The offspring of Compassion is) spiritual Contentment that anchors and binds (the senses). (sggs 3).
Compassion for who? The Gurbani asks to first Awaken one’s own mind which has been tortured and mauled by the lions and wolves of the senses and Bikaar (lust-desires, anger, greed, attachment, pride and their countless variations).
- ਪ੍ਰਥਮੇ ਮਨੁ ਪਰਬੋਧੈ ਅਪਨਾ ਪਾਛੈ ਅਵਰ ਰੀਝਾਵੈ ॥ : First Awaken (feed, satiate etc.) your own mind, only then try pleasing other. (sggs 381).
- ਸਚੁ ਤਾ ਪਰੁ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਜਾ ਸਿਖ ਸਚੀ ਲੇਇ ॥ ਦਇਆ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਕਿਛੁ ਪੁੰਨੁ ਦਾਨੁ ਕਰੇਇ ॥ : The Creator is Realized when the authentic Counsel (spiritual Wisdom-Giaan, Advice, Direction etc.) is received by the mind. Realize Compassion for one’s Self, provide for the needs of the Conscience. (mind, self). (sggs 468).
Therefore, according to the Gurbani, one does not become contented by just saying ‘I am contented’!
Because, we can not even offer a true Aradaas (prayer, ਬੇਨਤੀ) without Godly Contentment! Here is the Gurbani’s edict in this context:
- ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ॥ ਤਾ ਸੁਣਿ ਸਦਿ ਬਹਾਲੇ ਪਾਸਿ ॥੧॥: When a person acquires Godly (Virtue of) Contentment, and offers his prayer (Ardaas) to God; then God listens to his prayer (Ardaas), and the person feels His Presence Within. ॥1॥ (sggs 878).
In other words, a Mayaic Aradaas (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀ ਅਰਦਾਸ – involving success in business, victory in court-cases, success in school exams, freedom from physical diseases, getting driving license, buying new cars, sons-ਮੁੰਡੇ etc.) is not the subject of the Gurbani or the Ardaas. Because, as time and again asserts the Gurbani (SGGS), living with such Mayaic mind will not help linking with the Creator Within.
However, not self-reading and understanding Gurbani, the self-serving Pujaaree (paid clergy) takes advantage of our ignorance of the true Message of the Shabad or Gurmat and makes us pray for Maya.
- ਵਿਣੁ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਕਿਸੁ ਆਗੈ ਕੀਚੈ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਏਕੋ ਵਰਤਦਾ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਰੇ ਪਰਗਾਸ ॥੫੮॥ : (Since God is Within, God) knows everything without saying; therefore to whom else should we offer our prayers (besides Him)? Nanak, God is the only One who pervades each and everyone’s Conscience, and He spiritually Enlightens everyone through the spirituality / Message of the Guru’s Shabad. ||58|| (sggs 1420).
In a nutshell, the Godly Contentment is complete cessation of our hunger or love of Maya. According to the Gurbani, it is a huge part of the Gurmukh Mindset — abidance in spirituality or Message of the Shabad (Enlightenment).
- ਬਿਨਾ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਜੈ ॥: Without Contentment (inner contentment, Godly Contentment, ਜੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਸੰਤੋਖ ਨਾ ਹੋਵੈ…), no one is satiated (ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤ, ਰੱਜ). (sggs 279).
- ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਚੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਵਿਤਾ ॥ ਅੰਦਰਹੁ ਕਪਟੁ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ਗਇਆ ਮਨੁ ਸਹਜੇ ਜਿਤਾ ॥ ਤਹ ਜੋਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸੁ ਅਨੰਦ ਰਸੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਗਵਿਤਾ ॥: The follower of the spirituality of the Guru’s Shabad (Gurmukh-Hood Mindset) is totally in Godly Contentment and of immaculate character. Deception and wickedness departs from within, and he easily conquers his mind. There (In such a state of mind), the Enlightenment and the essence of Bliss are manifest, and ignorance is eliminated. (sggs 512).
Worldly desires (hunger or love of Maya) bind us to the material plane or body-consciousness by drawing us to the objects of the senses.
In a nutshell, the Godly Contentment is essentially abandoning slavery to sense-gratifications and rejoicing in every situation or adversity. To put it otherwise, the Godly Contentment in life comes from simple acceptance of the Creator’s Hukam (System-Rule-Law-Order of Nature) in one’s life.
- ਸਚਾ ਤੇਰਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਣਿਆ ॥ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਸਚੁ ਪਛਾਣਿਆ ॥: Your Hukam (System-Rule-Law of Nature, ਨਿਯਮ…) is Permanently in Existence (i.e. Hukam cannot be changed or violated); this is the Guru’s Realization. The Recognition or Realization (that the Creator / Hukam is Permanently in Existence) comes through the Gurmat (Giaan or Wisdom of the SGGG) removing Haumai (false ego-sense, ਖ਼ੁਦੀ). (sggs 144).
- ਚਾਲਹਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ॥: Challahi Gurmukhi Hukami Rajaaee. (sggs 227).
It is the satisfaction with what comes unsought, without being elated or depressed. With the rise of the Godly Contentment Within the purity of one’s Heart blooms. A Godly Contented person who may not own anything, but he is the real king for he has transcended slavery of Maya or conquered the material world.
- ਸੰਜਮੁ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸੀਲ ਸੰਨਾਹੁ ਮਫੁਟੈ ॥: (Guru Ramdas Ji’s) armor of self-restraint, Godly Contentment and humility can not be penetrated. (sggs 1397).
- ਘਰਿ ਤ ਤੇਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਸੁ ਪਾਵਏ ॥: When my mind becomes yours (i.e. when I understand or acknowledge You are within me – You are me and I’am You), then I find everything within me (no need to ask for anything — no hunger for Maya). (sggs 7).
- ਜਬ ਹਮ ਹੋਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੂ ਨਾਹੀ ਅਬ ਤੂਹੀ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥: As long as false ego-sense remains inside us beings, then You (within us) do not appear, but when you appear then our ‘I’ (Haumai or false egotism) disappears. (sggs 657).
The Gurbani tells us that when the Guru’s Giaan–Wisdom enters in the deep recesses of the mind, its a proof of the State (ਅਵਸਤਾ) of Godly Contentment within that person.
- ਗੁਰ ਗਮਿ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਣੁ ਤੈ ਪਾਇਓ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗ੍ਰਾਹਜਿ ਲਯੌ ॥: (O Guru Angad!) You have attained the State (ਅਵਸਤਾ) of Guru (Nanak Dev Ji), and has attained Godly Contentment. (sggs 1392).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਸੀਲੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਸਭੁ ਤਾਹਾ ਹੇ ॥੫॥: By following the Satguru teachings, one always attains inner Happiness; righteous conduct and Contentment; all (these) comes from the Satguru’s teachings. ||5|| (sggs 1057).
- ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਨੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੀਆ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਆਧਾਰੁ ॥੧੯॥: (O God!) please bless me with the Daan of Your Naam (Wisdom, Virtues…) which may be the only support of my life, and because of which I may become Contented. ||19|| (sggs 1286).
The implication is that, when the Light of the Guru’s Giaan-Wisdom enters the dark recesses of the mind, then the illusion or allure of Maya cannot do anything to that person. Because, the Godly Contentment makes him unshakable. However the Gurbani asserts very ‘rare‘ person understands this:
- ਆਪਣਾ ਕਾਰਜੁ ਆਪਿ ਸਵਾਰੇ ਹੋਰਨਿ ਕਾਰਜੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਕਾਰਜਿ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਦਇਆ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਈ ॥੩॥: (One) resolves his own affair himself (i.e. the ultimate Purpose of life of God Realization); anyone else cannot do this work (for him). Only a rare Guru’s follower (Gurmukh-Hood Mindset) understands that his Realization of God requires the virtues like Godly Contentment, Compassion and Dharma. ||3|| (sggs 351).
WJKK-WJKF. In Salok Mahalla 9 SGGSJ states ‘Naam reheyo, saadhu reheyo, reheyo gur gobind.’ In this world only 3 items will remain at the very end….so we need to understand that we (as ghar ghristy) should not get attached to worldly items, or indeed people (Moh pyar)….go about your daily routines and duties…and strive for improvement at all times, make it your mission to help others to follow the path to the God. True satisfaction is being happy with what Guru Ji has given you, because HE has the power to take it from you too.