In addition to Bhav Saggar, the Gurmat Wisdom of the Sri Guru Grant Sahib (SGGS) also teaches us about Sukh Saagar. Furthermore, it guides us how to realize Sukh Saagar, here and now, NOT after death. Literally:
‘Sukh – ਸੁਖ’ = Bliss, Peace, Joy, Happiness…
“Saagar – ਸਾਗਰ” = Ocean, ਸਮੁੰਦਰ…
Hence, Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ) = Ocean of eternal Bliss, Peace, Joy, Happiness, ਸੁੱਖਾਂ ਦਾ ਸਮੁੰਦਰ, etc. Bhagat Kabeer Jee says:
- ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਮਹਿ ਰਮਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ॥੧੬॥: Kabeer is immersed in ‘Sukh Saagar’. ||16|| (sggs 344).
In this context, this post will attempt (through the Gurbani) to Reflect on the followings:
1. What is this Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ) the Gurbani talks about?
2. Where is this Sukh Saagar located?
3. How can we all Experience (Realize…) this Sukh Saagar?
4. What is it that inhibits us from Realizing this Sukh Saagar?
What is this Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ)?
According to the Gurbani, this Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ) is none other than the Gur-Wisdom, Virtues, ‘Sach Khandi’, Hari Naam (ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ), Paarbrahm, Bhagati, Gurmukh-hood, Bibek Budhi, absorption of the mind in Chitt (ਚਿੱਤ), transcending of Maya, abiding in Mool (Hari, Raam, Prabh, Gobind, Allah, Jot Saroop or Pure Awareness, True or Pure Nature), Naam-Consciousness, Shabad-consciousness – ‘ਸੁਰਤਿ ਸਬਦਿ’…etc.
- ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਉ ॥: The Amrit Hari Naam is Sukh Saagar. (sggs 998).
- ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੋ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਦ ਬਲਿਹਾਰ ॥੪॥੧੧॥੮੧॥: Nanak is forever a sacrifice to the Paarbrahm, Sukh Saagar. ||4||11||81|| (sggs 46).
- ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਦਇਆਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਸਰਣਾਇਓ ॥੨॥੧੬॥੨੫॥: Nanak has taken the shelter of the kind and compassionate Gobind, Hari (-Naam, Virtues, Wisdom…) — Sukh Saagar. ||2||16||25|| (sggs 501).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਜਗ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹੋਰ ਥੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹੀ ॥: The Satiguru (Wisdom of Truth, ਸਚ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ…) is Sukh Saagar in the world; (without the Satiguru) there is no other place of ‘Sukh’. (sggs 603).
- ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਕਉਲਾ ਰਿਧਿ ਸਿਧਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਪਗਿ ਓਹੈ ॥: The being who with the blessings of the Gurmat (Wisdom of the SGGS) obtains Bhagti, Sukh Saagar, Maya begins to come at his feet, every Ridhi and Sidhi comes at his feet. (sggs 492).
Where is this Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ) located?
The Gurbani asserts that ‘Amrit Naam‘ is the Sukh Saagar.
That said, if ‘Amrit Naam is the Sukh Saagar, where is it located?
The Gurbani says it’s located within:
- ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਤਾ ਸਹਸਾ ਸਗਲ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ॥੧॥: When Sukh Saagar Guru is realized (Gur-Giaan, Wisdom of the Gurbani…), then all doubts are dispelled. (sggs 626).
- ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਦੇਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥: The new Treasure of Amrit is the Naam. (To whom the Naam is sweet, this Amrit) lies within his inner body (‘Daehee-ਦੇਹੀ’ = ‘Daehee Gupat- ਦੇਹੀ ਗੁਪਤ’, Nirakkar, Mool…).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਖੂਹਟਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਕਾਢਿ ਪੀਐ ਪਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥: Deep Within this body is the well overflowing with the Amrit; the Water-carrier (one engaged in Naam-Jap or understanding the Gur-Shabad) draws and drinks it through the Shabad (sggs 570).
Thus, as the Gurbani time and again reminds us, its all within, here and now!
- ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥: (The Divine Virtues, Wisdom, Spiritual tranquility, Naam, Shabad, Amrit, Prabh, ਆਤਮਕ ਸੁਖ…) all that is within the Heart-Home; not outside. Who searches outside is deluded by doubts. By ‘Gur Parasaadee’ (i.e., by the Grace of the Gur-Giaan, the Divine Wisdom of the Gurbani …), those who have Realized within are Happy (tranquil) inwardly and outwardly. ||1|| (sggs 102).
In fact, according to the Gurbani, Bhav Saagar is within the Sukh Saagar.
- ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਮਾਹੀ ॥: Bhav Saagar is within Sukh Saagar. (sggs 323).
In other words, Sukh Saagar is hear and now. It is not after death phenomena.
Also, Sukh Saagar is not to be found, ‘up there’ or ‘there yonder’. It is to be Realized NOW, while living in this world, within.
How can this Sukh Saagar (ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ) Be Realized?
The Gurbani says we all can realize Sukh Saagar here and now by becoming the Gurmukh.
But, who is the Gurmukh? In nutshell, a Gurmukh is the follower of the Gurmat (the Gurbani’s Teaching…) or Truth (“ਸਚ”) …
- ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਜਾਇ ॥: Hari Naam is the Sukh Saagar; it is obtained by becoming the Gurmukh. (sggs 29).
In nutshell, in order to Realize Sukh Saagar, here and now, we need to become Nanak-like, Kabeer-like, etc. (i.e., Bhagat, Daas, Jan, Gurmukh...).
What is it that inhibits us from Realizing this Sukh Saagar
According to the Gurbani (NOT according to the fool-o-sophy of the crafty Pujaaree-Vaad), the reason we cannot Experience the Sukh Saagar is that we ‘do not love the Shabad’ (Wisdom, Naam, etc.).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਭੂਲੇ ਬਿਖੁ ਲਗੇ ਅਹਿਲਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਇਆ ॥੭॥: The Manmukhs go astray, and being attached to the poison (of Maya, Bikaar, etc.), waste their rare life in vain. The ‘Hari Naam’ is forever the Sukh Saagar, (but the Manmukhs) do not love the Shabad. ||7|| (sggs 565).
Living a Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree lifestyle, we use the Gur-Shabad to just offer lip-service, ritualistic or robotic reading of the Gurbani without Understanding it through the Shabad-Vichaar, filling the Golak (business, ਧੰਧਾ), offer Mayaic prayers (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੀਆਂ ਅਰਦਾਸਾਂ, show off religiosity or religious paraphernalia, which is totally contradictory to the Teaching of the Gurbani)…
Diligent Shabad-Vichaar makes the Light of the spiritual Knowledge of the Gur-Shabad enter where previously we have been in darkness (of ignorance), and open the entrance to Sukh Saagar, here and now!
- ਗਾਵਉ ਗੁਨ ਪਰਮ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਦੁਰਤ ਨਿਵਾਰਣ ਸਬਦ ਸਰੇ ॥: I remember and live with the Virtues of the Divine Guru, Sukh Saagar, the Eradicator of wickedness (viciousness, corruption…), the fountain of the Shabad (Upadesh, Wisdom, Giaan, Naam…). (sggs 1389).
- ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਸਰਨਿ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸਦ ਕੁਰਬਾਨੁ ॥੨॥੭॥੮॥: Nanak is ever a sacrifice to the shelter of ‘Charan Kamal‘ (Wisdom or Giaan) — Sukh Saagar. ||2||7||8|| (sggs 979).
Thanks Veer Harvinder Singh Ji for taking the time to respond! Welcome to the Gurbani Blog!
Thank you Ji!
Sukh Sagar can not be obtained until and unless we be one with the one. It is not a one day process. It can be obtained if we are continuously connected with Sewa, Simran and Satsang and we abide by the teachings of the True Master. Sukh Sagar is a state of mind when our desires have finished, even we do not have attachment with our body also and our consciousness has become pure.
Welcome to the Gurbani Blog Bhai Sahib Jeeo!
Thank you for illuminating about Sukh saagar through reference through Gurbani.
HIRDEY KAMAL VIGASSA Please read my views for T S JI,GURUS ALWAYS EMPHASISED ON TRUE state of bhagat,SUNIEY GAVEY MAN RARHEYE BHAV. You have toexperience the state of NOTHINGNESS WITHIN,HOW DO YOU reach ? by dhyan vidhi,you got to learn T M /MEDITATION/SACH TAN PAR JANEY,JE RIDA SACHA HOI,SACH TAN PAR JANEY JE SACH PALE HOI.TRUTH CAN BEexperienced/can not be spoken/heard,when you speak your man/vichar/budhi soils SACH CHIT ANAND,IT IS A STATE OF BLISS ANAND PIYA MERI MAYE is exclamtion of being thoughtless/egoless/choiceless,YOU can learn meditation KAMAL (LOTUS)in its full exposure is what SHLOK is ref ering to YOUR STATE OF BLISS (ANAND) vigassa is full bloom. please read GURUBANI with total devotion and get to the depth of 2last lines to get essence of true ARTH
WAHE GURU BLESS YOU SHAMMI WADHWA JI Billoo bhai
may i humbly submit,yourcommentry is exellent ,covers all aspects of shabads &meanings,may i add, let us move towards experiencing the state of SUN SAMADHI,TURIYA AWASTHA,BE IN BLISS, ANAND MAI STATE which is missing. GURUS laid so much emphasis onDHYAN WIDHI,i fully appreciate your views on death anniversaries,kirtan,katha vachaks who have noclue as to what GURUS wanted to convey.
WAHE GURU BLESS YOU FOR YOUR NISHKAM SEWA BILLOO BHAI
Thanks for your knowledge sharing, Sir. Kindly , please read the following and correct and guide me in the direction of understanding of Gurbani, so as to accomplish the real aim of Shabad Veechar. I am too new in this direction and want guidance free of rites and rituals, interests. This understanding has become possible because of the softwares describing SGGS with meaning free of interests and rituals.
Because, writing this, I could express my feelings and thoughts to a better extent and sharing this might help me go in the right direction.
Like it is stated, Sukh Sagar is a mental state of peace and bliss in the mind which is free from the overwhelming response to happiness and sadness by the Gurmukh who remains stable in all kinds of situations or circumstances.
This is too easier to be said than to be done and further,it has to be stressed upon Peace and bliss rather than SUKH in punjabi literal meaning, as , myself too, always interpreted the word SUKH in Gurbani as to the happiness we get in all spheres of life, which I used to feel as being only addressed to the materialistic Sukhs . But now with further depth into the knowledge, it is understood that Sukh Sagar is simply the state of Bliss/Peace.
To attain it, One needs to meditate on His NAME, follow his WILL, Control his senses/mind, imbibe in sat, santokh , daya, dheeraj, dharam( honesty, contentment, empathy, control, determination).
Gurbani says we all will go, what stays is the Naam. To Accept what He does and that what we do is nothing is the best virtue of one’s life which will inculcate the five good virtues and will help control the five senses( the mind).
Those who believe are also made to believe, by HIM and those who don’t are also by HIM. We are mere ant like creatures in front of HIM. We need to learn to live by His Will even in the presence of the materialistic world, also created by HIM. Its all the lifestyle that matters- that of a Gurmukh or a Manmukh.
It is all His wish who lives and when and where and how he lives. “KUDRAT KAVAN KAHAN VEECHAR VAAREYAN NA JA EK VAAR JO TUDH BHAVAI SAAIN BHALIKAAR TU SADA SALAMAT NIRANKAAR”
To follow His Will, we need to know the Will. To know the Will we need to connect with HIM. To connect we need to Meditate on His Name. To meditate on His Name , we need to believe in Him, fall in love with Him , Appraise Him, Sing his Praises, chant his Name, read and listen to his glory through the scriptures( Bani that exclusively does that, written by those who truely followed it).
Realising and practizing this concept Guru Nanak Dev Ji simply summarized His Will as- “Kirat Karo, Naam Japo, Vand Chako”.
The Mind that does the above stays in peace and poise, calm and blissful.
As in the current era this has absolutely become “easier said than done”, as the majority has turned the other way round( that too, again with the Will of the Lord Almighty). What’s required is the Sadh Sangat- the company of those who practise these principles in their daily life . The company- good or bad has its effect of re- inforcement of the job being done collectively by the company as compared to the single isolated one.
So, the true Company( (of the Gurmukhs) gives the strength and encouragement to follow the true principles. To live in Sadh Sangat is another pre requisite which is attained only by His Will, in those who understand the true essence.
Thus, it is by the virtue of internet that I feel I found the true Sadh Sangat , the company which too feels and tries to practice the same.I am too new in this direction and thus ,want guidance. This understanding has become possible because of the re-inforcement by the softwares describing SGGS with meaning, free of interests and rituals.
“Hum sar deen dyal na tum sar ab patiyaar kya keejai”
” Hum moorakh agiyaan giyaan kich naahi, Satgur te samajh padi man mahi”
May GOD bless!!!
Thank you so much Veer Ji for updating my knowledge. I have just started to learn Punjabi to read SGGS and let see how Lord can take me further.
I just want to know how can we understand the meaning of various words in SGGS, as these words have differenent meaning at different places. Like Dhan is also called as Wife, Money and Maya or Amrit Naam.
But how can we know which meaning at which place ?
And if i start reading SGGS, then how to understand the meaning of sentences written by Guru Sahibaan as we are not into that state or could you suggest some books, where these meaning has been elaborated by learned person.
Shammi Ji you may find this Gurbani Article of some interest: Heart Lotus
Sir thank you for your reply, but my question is when can we achieve that state of HIRDEY KAMAL BIGASSIA…..or how can be that opposite flower becomes upwards or how to be enlightened with divine knowledge.
Thank you Sammi Ji for your kind words.
kamal pragaas: ਅੰਤਰਿ ਕਮਲੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਆ: ਅੰਤਰਿ or Antari => within; ਕਮਲੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸਿਆ or Kamal Pragaasiaa => Heart Enlightened with the Divine Knowledge (ਗਿਆਨ ਅਵਸਤਾ – Giaan Avastaa…)…
P.S.: this was also posted in response to the comment you left at the post entitled “Common Sense Is Not Common Anymore“. Probably you did not subscribe to followup comments on that post. If you did you would have been automatically informed of the followup comments there. You can subscribe to followup comments to any comment you post at same form you use to leave a comment.
sir i have started to read your artciles which are really fascinating and full of knowledge and of course there is Lord’ grace upon you that you are able to understand gurbani in true sense. just let me know the meaning of Hirdey Kamal Bigassia means ulta hirdey kamal seedha ho gaya……i know it is the instance of inner avastha, but with the help of gurbani, you can share with me….
Comments are closed.