The Gurbani tells us that a ‘Mayadhaaree‘ mind is nothing but ‘Rol Ghacholaa‘(‘ਰੋਲ ਘਚੋਲਾ‘) — ‘Rol Ghacholaa’ => uproar, tumult, noise of Maya, noise of false ego-sense (Haumai), noise of doubts (Bharam), noise of vices or Bikaar, noise of ignorance, clamor of self-will, commotion of foolishness, disturbance, trouble, and so on.
‘Mayadhaaree’ (‘ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ‘) => one attached to Maya, a mammon worshipper, a Saakat, Manmukh etc.
- ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ਅਤਿ ਅੰਨਾ ਬੋਲਾ ॥ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਸੁਣਈ ਬਹੁ ਰੋਲ ਘਚੋਲਾ ॥: One who is attached to Maya is (spiritually) very much blind and deaf (to the Gur-Shabad…). (In such conditioned state), he is unable to listen (i.e., don’t pay attention…) to the Shabad; (but, in love or hunger of Maya) he makes much uproar and tumult (ਰੌਲਾ-ਗੌਲਾ, noise, chatter, etc.). (sggs 313).
The Gurmat Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) also tells us that a Mayadhaaree mind is none other than a Saakat or a Manmukh (i.e. the opposite of a Gurmukh).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੂੜ ਮਾਇਆ ਚਿਤ ਵਾਸੁ ॥: Residence of the consciousness of the foolish Manmukh is Maya (sggs 222).
- ਸਾਕਤ ਬਧਿਕ ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ਤਿਨ ਜਮ ਜੋਹਨਿ ਲਾਗੇ ॥ : People who make Maya the mainstay of their life break away from Truth, become ruthless, ‘Jamm‘ (Bikaar: lust, anger, greed etc.) stalks them. (sggs 172). (sggs 172).
- ਗੁਣ ਵਿਹੂਣ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਲੁ ਧਾਰੀ ॥: (Those) without Virtues, bear the filth of Maya (in their minds). (sggs 367).
- ਕਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਧਰਮੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਲੋਭੀ ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ॥: (I) do not know about (good) Karma, (I) do not know about Dharma, (I am) greedy Mayadhaaree — chasing after Maya. (sggs 624).
- ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰਿ ਮਲੁ ਧੋਵੈ ਓਹੁ ਮਲਭਖੁ ਮਾਇਆਧਾਰੀ ॥: By slandering, the slanderer washes other’s filth, but in the process a Mayadhaaree (one attached to Maya himself becomes used to) eating the filth. (sggs 507).
Such Mayaic mind can only spit out ‘Rol Ghacholaa‘, for that’s all it knows!
Because, in a mind tied to the knot of the three qualitied-Maya (Trikuti), there can be nothing but ‘Rol Ghacholaa‘!
- ਝੂਠਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਸਭੁ ਸੋਰੁ ॥: All the noise of Maya is false (bogus, insincere, dishonest…). (sggs 178).
- ਰਾਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਬਨਿਤਾ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕੁਸਮ ਰੰਗ ਬਿਖ ਸੋਰ ॥: People remain engrossed in sensual pleasures; but the tumult of Maya (worldly pleasures) is like the dye of the safflower, which fades away all too soon. (sggs 251).
- ਡਰਿ ਡਰਿ ਡਰਣਾ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਸੋਰੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The mind is always in fear and tumult. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 151).
Next, the questionn is: Why Maya is able to create all this tumult (‘Rol Ghacholaa’) in the mind of a Mayadhaaree (Manmukh, Saakat etc.)?
The reason — according to the Gurbani (SGGS) — is that such mind is unwilling and uninterested in Shabad-Vichaar, Divine Wisdom / Virtues etc. Devoid of that, one remains a Mayadhaaree — mammon worshipper (‘ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ’)! As a result, such mind remains full of ‘Rol Ghacholaa‘ for it remains attached to Maya instead of its Mool within (Source, Jot Saroop)!
- ਸੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਜੋ ਸਬਦ ਨ ਪਛਾਨਹਿ ॥: They alone are Manmukhs who do not realize the Shabad (sggs 1054).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਮੂਲਹੁ ਭੁਲਿਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਲਬੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ॥: The Manmukh (self-willed…) forget their Mool; for they are caught in greed, avarice, and pride (i.e. Bikaar). (sggs 316).
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਅੰਧਾ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਭੇਟੇ ਥਾਇ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥ : A Manmukh person being spiritually blind, suffers again and again. Without the Satguru (i.e. True Wisdom-ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ), he gains no Divine Realization. (sggs 314).
As such, a Mayadhaaree does not know how to transcend Maya, or how to even undertake this quest in the first place.
- ਮੁੰਢਹੁ ਭੁਲੇ ਮੁੰਢ ਤੇ ਕਿਥੈ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਹਥੁ ॥: Those who went astray from God from the very beginning, where are they going to find refuge? (sggs 315).
Furthermore, as repeatedly asserted in he Gurbani, Truth (Sach-ਸਚ) and Mayadhaaree’s falsehood cannot mix. In other words, a Mayaic mind (Jhoothaaa, false, Mayaic, Bikaaree…) and Truth cannot unite, or become One.
- ਵਿਚਿ ਸਚੇ ਕੂੜੁ ਨ ਗਡਈ ਮਨਿ ਵੇਖਹੁ ਕੋ ਨਿਰਜਾਸਿ ॥: Check it out and see in your mind — falsehood does not mix in Truth. (sggs 313).
- ਮਨੁ ਮੈਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਿਰਮਲਾ ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਜਾਇ ॥: The Truth is Pure; (so long the man’s) mind is impure (with Haumai, Bikaar, etc.); he cannot realize (the Truth) (sggs 755).
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਸਚਿ ਨ ਭੀਜਈ ਕੂੜੁ ਕੂੜਿ ਗਡਾਵੈ ॥੪॥: A Manmukh cannot ever abide in Truth; false merges in false. (sggs 419).
Consequently, a Mayadhaaree (Mamukh or Saakat) ends up just churning ‘water’ (Maya…) in his life instead of churning the Gurbani for extracting the ‘butter’ of Divine Wisdom (Brahm-Giaan) from it.
The result is: ‘Rol Ghacholaa‘!
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬੋਲੈ ਤਤੁ ਬਿਰੋਲੈ ਚੀਨੈ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰੋ ॥ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਮੇਟੈ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਸਾਏ ਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਚੂਕੈ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੋ ॥: The Essence (Message) of the spirituality of the Shabad is attaining Realization of Unfathomable Creator. Realization of the Shabad eliminates false ego sense and other pathways (i.e. duality, Maya etc.). (sggs 944).
- ਜਲੁ ਬਿਲੋਵੈ ਜਲੁ ਮਥੈ ਤਤੁ ਲੋੜੈ ਅੰਧੁ ਅਗਿਆਨਾ ॥: The mortal who stirs the water, and (always) churns the water in hope to obtain butter, is blind (ਅਕਲੋਂ-mentally blind), ignorant. (sggs 1009).
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਸਦ ਹੀ ਕੂੜੋ ਬੋਲੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਬੀਜੈ ਬਿਖੁ ਖਾਏ ॥: A Manmukh person always utters lies, sows seeds of falsehood and also reaps falsehood. (sggs 753).
Hence, spiritually speaking, a Mayadhaaree (Manmukh, Saakat…) is very much blind and deaf to the Message of the Gur-Shabad (‘ਅੰਨਾ ਬੋਲਾ-Annaa Bolaa‘). Since a Mayadhaaree behaves as deaf to the Divine Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad, his intellect (Budh) continually descend, deplete, and so on.
- ਅੰਨਾ ਬੋਲਾ ਖੁਇ ਉਝੜਿ ਪਾਇ ॥: (The Manmukh is spiritually) blind and deaf and therefore keeps wandering in the wilderness of worldly attachments.. (sggs 314)
- ਅੰਨਾ ਬੋਲਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਪਾਪਿ ਪਚਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੪॥: Being spiritually blind and dumb, the Manmukh person cannot see anything but Maya, and is therefore consumed by his own vices. ॥4॥ (sggs 111).
- ਮੂਰਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਗੁਣ ਸੇਵਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ਬਿਉਹਾਰੀ ॥ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕਪਟੁ ਉਦਰੁ ਭਰਣ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ਪਾਠ ਪੜਹਿ ਗਾਵਾਰੀ ॥: Dealing with Maya alone, the blind fools remain subservient to the three qualities of material nature (i.e., Rajo, Tamo, Sato). With deception within, the fools do Paath (reading of sacred texts) to fill their bellies (sggs 1246).
Sadly — but this is fact — Gurdwaras and religious institutions in the world are occupied or controlled by these Mayadhaaree for Golak (money…), name, power, fame, freeloading etc.
The result is in front of us: violent clashes in Gurdwaras (including Takhats); corruption, distortion of the Gurbani (SGGS), total neglect of dissemination of the Gurbani in its true perspective, propagation of pre-1469 stale of Bipar-Vaad in Sikhi which has been rejected and debunked in the Gurbani, worthless rituals (Karamkaand)…
- ਕਾਲੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਾਹੀ ਸਤ ਕਾ ਢਬੁ ॥ ਥਾਨਸਟ ਜਗ ਭਰਿਸਟ ਹੋਏ ਡੂਬਤਾ ਇਵ ਜਗੁ ॥: Human life is not a time (to waste in rituals– Karamkaand); by these methods, neither there is any truthful living nor any Yoga (Union or Realization of the Creator Within). By these rituals, even the purest hearts become defiled; and thus the entire world starts drowning (in Bikaar, vices, Pakhand, cheating or fraud etc.). ||1|| (sggs 662).
Thank you Hardeep Singh Ji for taking the time to reply. Welcome to the Gurbani Blog!
We have 2 free choices in life: to do something or not to do it. If we choose to do something- we can do it correctly or incorrectly. According to the choice , there is the outcome delivered by the system of hukam. If wahiguru asks us to stand on one leg- we have a choice : left or right. Practically what I have learned is that a thought, word or action done with gurus method will lead to an outcome that is very successful and win win for all and where there is no thought of regret or guilt in the one originating the thought, word or action. Personal methods often lead to an unsuccessful outcome with regret and guilt. Guru is poora and thus can make the sikh poora. Guru is never adhoora. Bhul Chuk khima jee. Vjkkvjkf
Thanks Veer T Singh Jeo for the most appropriate answer but it is amply clear that Gurbani messages are GUIDE,and ADVISORY in in their essence and do not give choice for the way one may be going. If this is not so then by now there would be no MAYADHAAREE /Munmukh as being envisaged.
Thank you Bhai Sahib Jio for continually sharing Vichaar.
As I mentioned in my previous reply, out of two “ways”, the Gurbani has rejected one of them because it’s destructive.
• ਪ੍ਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਮਾਰਗੰ ਵਰਤੰਤਿ ਬਿਨਾਸਨੰ ॥: Engrossed in worldly ways (“ਪ੍ਰਵਿਰਤਿ-Pravirati”), one is ruined (sggs 1355).
• ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਜੇਤਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੋਈਐ ਤੇਤਾ ਲੋਗ ਪਚਾਰਾ ॥ ਲਉ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਹੀ ਪਰਗਾਸਾ ਤਉ ਲਉ ਅੰਧ ਅੰਧਾਰਾ ॥: As much as (one lives) the way of the world (ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਮਾਰਗ); this is all about attracting people. So long the Heart is not Enlightened (with Naam, Shabad, Brahm-Giaan…), until then the pitch-darkness (of spiritual ignorance pervades). (sggs 1205).
• ਜਨਮੁ ਬ੍ਰਿਥਾ ਜਾਤ ਰੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ (sggs 12).
Thus, we are left with only one “Way”!
Respected Veer T Singh jee,
I refer to the part of last message as
“Although two ways (paths) are available to us, but the Gurbani makes it very clear as to which one to chose”
Is there any Quote in Gurbani specifically confirming the above point ? I don’t find such message anywhere in Gurbani.
Respected Veer T Singh Jeeo,You have probably misunderstood the intent of the Quote.as put by your goodself “Are you saying the verse you quoted gives people license to chose or live a life of Mayadhaaree.I never put my words like this.
There are numerous Quotes in Gurbani which support the concept that there is nothing in the control of any person to be able to shape his life of his own. Without the will or grace of Prabhu nothing can happen.The MASTER CONTROLLER of the whole of creation is PRABHu only.
This needs to be understood.
Every one under the TRINITY INFLUENCE of MAYAA is /remains Munmukh and it is thru the grace of PRABHu one can become Gurmukh .And for Gurmukh it is all HUKAMu of PRABHu only nothing else.
Thank you Bhai Sahib Ji for taking the time to comment.
We must realize the fact that the Gurbani is a Brahm-Giaan (Divine Knowledge, Wisdom)… NOT a chart to live a lifestyle of Mayadhaaree (Manmukh, Saakat, etc.)!
Are you saying the verse you quoted gives people license to chose or live a life of Mayadhaaree?
Does it mean then we have no responsibility to mend the ways of our mind?
NO, the Gurbani does not say that.
But, your comment does not make it clear, and thus (the way you have quoted the verse in your comment) gives rise to tremendous confusion and contradiction, to say the least.
First, no verse of the Gurbani grants us license to chose or live a lifestyle of a Mayadhaaree.
To the contrary, the Gurbani on every page tells us NOT to do that – NOT to adopt the way of Maya.
Because, as per the Gurbani’s repeated Message, we have come into this world NOT to adopt or continue the way of Maya (“ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ – Parvirti”).
Instead, as per the Gurbani’s repeated Message, we are to follow the Way of the Naam (“ਨਿਰਵਿਰਤਿ – Niravirati”) by transcending Maya.
The Gurbani roars that by becoming the Gurmukh we must understand these two paths and chose to right one.
• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਨਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ (sggs 941).
Because, if we become the Gurmukh, then we will realize that the way of Maya is destructive. This is the Gurbani’s addict:
• ਪ੍ਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਮਾਰਗੰ ਵਰਤੰਤਿ ਬਿਨਾਸਨੰ ॥ (sggs 1355).
Hence, according to the Gurbani, the purpose of life is to accumulate (gain, earn, practice…) “Naam”, NOT Maya!
• ਪਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਨਿਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਹਾਠਾ ਦੋਵੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਧਰਮੁ ਫਿਰੈ ਰੈਬਾਰਿਆ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਕਚੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਨਿਹਚਉ ਦਰਗਹ ਹਾਰਿਆ ॥: (sggs 1280).
Also, According to the Gurbani, to chose the right Way of living is our responsibility (“ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ…”), NOT the responsibility of any third party or any outside agency! As per the Gurbani, whatever is outside is also within!
• ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਕਾਜੁ ਸਵਾਰੀਐ ॥੨੦॥: Aapan hathee aapanaa aape hee kaaju savaareeai ||20 (sggs 474).
• ਮਨ ਸਮਝਾਵਨ ਕਾਰਨੇ ਕਛੂਅਕ ਪੜੀਐ ਗਿਆਨ ॥੫॥ (sggs 340).
• ਸਿਖੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥: Sikhee sikhiaa gur veechaari (sggs 465).
Thus, in nutshell, the Gurbani urges us to practice the Way of the “Hukam” (the Way of the Naam or Shabad – the Gurmukh Lifestyle, the Divine Life…).
• ਪਰਵਿਰਤੀ ਨਰਵਿਰਤਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਘਰੁ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ (sggs 1027).
• ਏਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਬੁਝਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥੫॥ (sggs 72).
• ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨਾਮਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ ॥ (sggs 117).
Although two ways (paths) are available to us, but the Gurbani makes it very clear as to which one to chose or practice! We canno blame the “Hukam” if we chose the wrong way of life.
From Gurbani one can know that NO ONE IS MAYADHAAREE OF HIS OWN as is clear from
a Quote as
“LIV DHATu DUI RAH HAE HUKAMEE KAAR KAMAAYI SGGS ji pp87
Prabhu has created two ways
One WAY TO NAAMu and
Other WAY TO MAYAA
As per will of Prabhu one is following the way.
Thank you Bhai Sahib Jio for taking the time to share your Vichaar.
The Gurbani roars that a person entranced by Maya (i.e., Mayadhaaree, ਮਾਇਆ ਦਾ ਠੱਗਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ…) cannot Understand:
• ਕੈਸੇ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਬ ਮੋਹਿਆ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Kaiase boojhai jab mohiaa hai maya ||Rahaaou|| (sggs 92).
And the result is that such person practices falsehood, speaks falsehood, and so attached to falsehood, becomes false:
• ਕੂੜੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਕੂੜੁ ਉਚਰੈ ਕੂੜਿ ਲਗਿਆ ਕੂੜੁ ਹੋਇ ॥: Koorhu kamaavai koorhu ouchaarai… (sggs 316).
Refering to this fact as:
This should be taken as:
Sikhs have learnt nothing from Gurbani and are back to Zero-zero.
Comments are closed.