The Gurmat (Wisdom, Giaan, Upadesh, Sikhiaa, or Way of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS) asserts that Rabb is the subject of understanding (ਸਮਝਣ), NOT the subject of blind-worship or Poojaa, or blind faith (ਅੰਧ ਵਿਸ਼ਵਾਸ਼, ਅੰਨੀ ਸ਼ਰਧਾ — foolishness)!
Hence, there is nothing in the Universe – visible or invisible – which Baabaa Nanak does not call Rabb!
- ਸਦਾ ਹਜੂਰਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਛਾਣਹੁ ॥: He is always close at hand (ਅੰਗ-ਸੰਗ) – do not think that He is far away. Through the Guru’s Shabad, recognize the Lord deep within your own being (sggs116).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਖੋਟੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਖੋਟਾ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਕੂੜੁ ਕਮਾਵਨਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਗੈ ਭਾਰਾ ॥ ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲੇ ਫਿਰਨਿ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮਹਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਗਵਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥: The wealth of the self-willed Manmukhs (that they collect throughout their lives) is false, and false is their ostentatious display. They practice falsehood, and suffer terrible pain. Deluded by doubt, they wander day and night; through birth and death, they waste their lives ||7|| (sggs 116).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਵਸਤੁ ਮੂੜਾ ਬਾਹਰੁ ਭਾਲੇ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅੰਧੇ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਬੇਤਾਲੇ ॥ ਜਿਥੈ ਵਥੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਤਿਥਹੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੭॥: Deep within (the body) is the secret (the Lord and His Name), but the fool looks for it outside. The (mentally) blind Manmukh wander around like demons; but where the secret is, there, they do not obtain it. The self-willed Manmukhs wander deluded by doubt ||7|| (sggs 117).
As indicated in the Gurbani, the Manmukh (materialistic, self-willed, denier of truthful living …) person is a “stupid” being. He is unaware of the Essence of the Absolute Reality ever present within his own body just as the deer is unaware of the presence of musk within his body. On the other hand, the True and the Wise (Gurmukhs) ones do not care for pilgrimage since they are Pure inside. To the contrary, the Manmukh, filled with the poisonous lava of ego-sense (Haumai) inside, repeatedly visits such places.
- ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਝੀ ਕਿਛੂ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥: This mind of the Manmukh (materialistis, self-willed, etc.) is so stupid; he does not obtain any understanding at all (sggs 491).
First, the Gurbani says God dwells within the heart of all of us, day and night. According to the Gurbani, those who don’t understand this simple fact are just fools.
- ਤੂ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਵਸਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਉ ਨ ਬੁਝਹਿ ਗਵਾਰੀ ॥: (O Lord) You dwell, hidden, within the heart (of all beings) day and night, but the fools do not understand to Love You (sggs 607).
Second, the Gurbani repeatedly stresses that the True Nature of our mind is Jot Saroop.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥ (sggs 441).
But, it is the curtain of our false ego-sense (Haumai – ਹਉਮੈ) that intervenes.
The Gurbani also tells us that – by becoming the Gurmukh – we can realize God within our body.
- ਪਉੜੀ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਸਭੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਚੇ ਕੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਜੋਤਿ ॥ ਗੁਹਜ ਰਤਨ ਵਿਚਿ ਲੁਕਿ ਰਹੇ ਕੋਈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਕਢੈ ਖੋਤਿ ॥: This body is the (place of practicing) Dharma; the Divine Light of “Sach” (Truth, Hukam…) is within it. Hidden within it are the Jewels (of the Divine Virtues…); a rare “Sevak” digs them out (through Shabad-Vichaar) by becoming the Gurmukh (sggs 309).
God has to take birth in the womb of love within each of us. As time and again asserted in the Gurbani, God is standing at the door of every heart. Call Him. He is waiting to come in.
In nutshell, Rabb – without form-shape-color (without “Roopu-ਰੂਪੁ”, “Raekh-ਰੇਖ”, and “Rangu-ਰੰਗੁ”) – is within our brain as:
- Virtues (ਗੁਣ) – Truth, honesty, contentment, mercy, patience, Sahaj, etc.
- Wisdom, Bibek (ਸੱਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ) – “ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ“.
- System, Rule or Law of Nature (Hukam, ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਨਿਯਮ) – we reap what we saw! This Sytem-Rule-Law of Nature is present within and also throughout the Universe.
In short, people who think of Rabb sitting in brick buildings or consider specific buildings as thrones of Akaal should read and digest this Shabad of Bhagat Kabeer Jee. In this Shabad, Bhagat Kabeer Jee has blown up the falsehood and special places of Rabb made by the crafty Pujaaee groups or the Pujaaree systems of all organized and institutionalized religions (Majhab-ਮਜਹਬ).
- ਅਲਹੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਮੁਲਖੁ ਕਿਸੁ ਕੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਦੁਹ ਮਹਿ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਹੇਰਾ ॥…: (Muslims think) Allah lives only in the mosque; then to whom does the rest of the world belong? Hindus think idol is the abode of the Divine (or the Divine) Naam; there is no truth (ਅਸਲੀਅਤ) in these claims (of both Hindus and Muslims)…. (sggs 1349).
Cleary, the SGGS tells us that a separate God – separate from man – is a blunder created by the man!
- ਭ੍ਰਮ ਛੂਟੇ ਤੇ ਏਕੰਕਾਰ ॥੩॥: When all doubts are gotten rid of, then what remains is the ONE RABB. (sggs 736).