In stubborn mindedness (Mann-Hatha: ਮਨ ਹਠ), many count beads (Maalaa), many read calculated Banis or Paaths, many perform calculated prayers, and so on. This is the nature of the worldly, calculating mind (The Manmukh). This is the way the sense-blind mind thinks.
The Gurbani declares that no one can Realize God by such calculations or accounting. The Gurbani indicates that all calculations are in egotism (Haumai). It is nothing but wanderings “in duality or Maya”, a sign of (Manmukhtaa).
- ਤੂੰ ਗਣਤੈ ਕਿਨੈ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਸਚੇ ਅਲਖ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥: O True, Unseen and Infinite (Paarbrahm)! No one has obtained You by calculations (sggs 140).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism, in these, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
Since God cannot be calculated, this sort of businesslike stubborn practice is repudiated (Khandan) in the Gurbani. Why? Because such practices can never transform the mind enchanted with worldly thought-wanderings. Just few short prayers (Ardaas), some chanting, some Mantra recitation with rosary are totally insufficient. This sort of meditation or Jap cannot change us. Our psychological ego is so powerful that unbroken efforts are needed. If we practice constantly (unbroken), only then negative emotions of mind will disappear.
- The Divine cannot be obtained by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).
- ਤੂ ਕਰਤਾ ਆਪਿ ਅਗਣਤੁ ਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਗਣਤੈ ॥: O Creator! You are incalculable, while the entire world is within the realm of calculation (sggs 314).
Painters or artists showing paintings of the Gurus or Bhagats with Rosary (Maalaa) around their necks or hands is totally in contradiction with the Teaching of the Gurbani, thus misleading.
Sikhi is the game of understanding and living the “Sikh Matt” (Gurmat or Teaching of the Gurbani), not stubbornness. If we don’t understand and live the “Sikh Matt“, then we are not Sikhs (one may call himself a Sikh, but he is not)!
The Shabad (Naam) cannot be tasted unless we are spontaneously and infinitely in love with the One Truth. Accordingly, the Gurbani teaches us to spontaneously keep Divine Name in the heart while sitting, standing, walking, eating, working, and so on (i.e., constantly living by the Divine Virtues…). To put it otherwise, by becoming a Gurmukh (Spiritual Being who has understood the Gurbani and who lives it), the sincere seeker plunges headlong into Shabad-Surti or God Consciousness; he does not calculate his Bhagti or meditation. He unbrokenly lives in Divine Life.
ਗਣਤੈ ਸੇਵ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਕੀਤਾ ਥਾਇ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਸਬਦੈ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਆਇਓ ਸਚਿ ਨ ਲਗੋ ਭਾਉ: Calculated service is not service at all, and what is done is not approved. The flavor of the Shabad is not tasted if the mortal is not in love with God. (sggs 1246).
- ਗਣਤ ਗਣੈ ਸੋ ਜਲੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥ ਸਹਸਾ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਚੁਕੈ ਵਿਕਾਰਾ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਸੁ ਗਣਤ ਚੁਕਾਏ ਸਚੇ ਸਚਿ ਸਮਾਇਦਾ ॥੯॥ : One who keeps on (worldly or Mayaic) counting all the time, is always burning (restless etc.) in the world (in the hidden fire of Maya, Trishna). Doubt (anxiety, fear…) of that person does not end at all. A person who becomes the Gurmkh abandons his worldly or Mayaic calculations, he is always absorbed in the eternal Truth. (sggs 1062).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: Gurmukhi Sagalee Ganat Mitaavai (sggs 942).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਗਣਤ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੇ ॥: Egotistic or mental calculations are relieved through the Gur-Shabad (sggs 1065).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਕਿਆ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਲੋਇ ॥ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਹੀ ਇਹ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੭੫॥: O Kabeer! Why do you show other people your wooden rosary beads? You do not remember Raam (Mool…) in your Heart, so what use is this rosary to you? ||75|| (sggs 1368).
- ਊਠਤ ਬੈਠਤ ਸੋਵਤ ਜਾਗਤ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਸਗਲ ਅਵਰਦਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥: While standing and sitting, while sleeping and while awake, meditate on God, all your life ||1|| (sggs 101).