Responsibility and Choice
But, who is responsible for creating this gap or separation? In other words, is our nature (habits, thinking, ਸੁਭਾ…) innate, or have we created it?
Each one of us is responsible for creating this gap or separation.
- ਬੂਡਾ ਬੰਸੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਕਾ ਉਪਜਿਓ ਪੂਤੁ ਕਮਾਲੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਛਾਡਿ ਕੈ ਘਰਿ ਲੇ ਆਯਾ ਮਾਲੁ ॥੧੧੫॥ : Kabeer says his family (sensory organs) has drowned in vices/Bikaar since the birth of his foolish son (i.e. mind). Because, giving up the Divine remembrance (Truth, Wisdom / Virtues…), he has developed the fascination of Maya within himself. ||115|| (sggs 1370).
- ਜੋ ਮੈ ਕੀਆ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਦੋਸੁ ਨ ਦੀਜੈ ਅਵਰ ਜਨਾ ॥: Whatever I do, the similar fruit I get (rewards, result etc.), don’t blame others! (sggs 433).
- ਪਾਇ ਕੁਹਾੜਾ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਗਾਫਲਿ ਅਪੁਨੈ ਹਾਥਿ ॥੧੩॥: ||13|| An imprudent (senseless, inattentive, stupid, ਲਾ-ਪਰਵਾਹ…) strikes his own foot with the axe by his own hand (i.e. one causes damage to his or herself). ||13|| (sggs 1365).
There is popular expression to the effect that as one thinks, so he becomes. In short, whatever is in one’s mind will come forth. To say it otherwise, we act in accordance with the nature of our mind that we have created for ourselves.
- ਜੈਸਾ ਸੇਵੈ ਤੈਸੋ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥: One becomes just like the One he serves (i.e. as one thinks, so he becomes). ||4|| (sggs 223).
- ਸੇ ਜਨ ਜਾਗੇ ਜਿਨ ਨਾਮ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥੧॥: Those beings who love the Naam, remains Awake (ਦਿਮਾਗ ਦਾ ਖੁਲ ਜਾਣਾਂ – don’t fall asleep to Maya’s attachment). ||1|| (sggs 160).
The Gurbani Awakens us if we are willing to be Awakened! What it means is we can change our nature (habits, thinking, ਸੁਭਾ…) IF WE WANT TO CHANGE IT! We can have the mind Wakeupfrom Maya’s slumber if we want to! If we are not willing to have our minds Awakened (ਦਿਮਾਗ ਦਾ ਖੁਲਣਾਂ), then there is nothing the Satguru can do.
Hence, the Gurmat Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) puts the responsibility squarely on each one of us for (1) examining ourselves from toe to top and changing ourselves for good, (2) taking the Giyan-Wisdom and (3) then living that Wisdom in daily life (ਅਮਲ, Gurmukh Lifestyle).
- ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਕਾਜੁ ਸਵਾਰੀਐ ॥੨੦॥: (So long there is breath — Praan) accomplish the task (of God Realization) yourself ( i.e. with self-efforts: Shabad-Vichaar …). ||20|| (sggs 474).
Understandably, the Gurmat Giyan–Wisdom of the SGGS time and again reminds us to search own self and recognize the mind’s True Nature as Jot Saroop. This will require willingness, earnestness, sincerity and self-efforts.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥ : This is what Nanak says: O my mind, you are the ‘Jot Saroop’ or embodiment of Light (God)! Recognize your Mool (ORIGIN, Source…) ||5|| (sggs 441).
Mind and the Mayaic world (Jagat or Bhav Saagar) are not separate!
Therefore, our material world (Jagat or Maya) is mind-made, subjective, fleeting, temporary, perishable, and enclosed within one’s own mind (ਨਿਜੀ). The Gurbani teaches us that the Mind Clinging To Maya Can’t Be Trusted.
- ਇਸੁ ਮਨ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਨੇਹੁ ਘਨੇਰਾ ॥: This mind is so much in love with Maya. (sggs 1038).
- ਅਨਿਕ ਰੰਗ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਚਿਤਵਤ ਕਬਹੂ ਨ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਸਾਰਿੰਗਪਾਨੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Thinking of the many pleasures of Maya (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਰੰਗ ਤਮਾਸ਼ੇ), the mortal never remembers Rabb. ||1||Pause|| (sggs 390).
Furthermore, it is the conditioned or deluded mind that causes the feeling of insecurity etc.
To say it otherwise, time and space are in the mind. However, its Mool (Jot Saroop) is beyond time and space.
It’s the mind that creates duality where there is none. Furthermore, it’s the mind that creates doubt or troubles and it’s the mind that can get free of it — the mind that takes one to the liquor-house, the same mind can take one to its Jot Saroop within as well!
- ਹਉਮੈ ਦੀਰਘ ਰੋਗੁ ਹੈ ਦਾਰੂ ਭੀ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਹਿ ॥: Ego is a chronic disease, but it contains its own cure as well (sggs 466).
- ਮਨ ਹੀ ਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮੰਨੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥: From the mind, the mind merges into its Mool (Suaamee), thus the mind gets absorbed into the Mind, within (sggs 1259).
In a nutshell, the mind can only be reconciled with the mind. To say it otherwise, the mind can only be removed with the mind, or the mind can only be instructed with the mind.
Thus, the mind is a dual power
If we want to put it in words (for the sake of discussion): the lower mind and the Higher Mind. In other words, a part of the mind is the lower mind (i.e. conditioned mind) and the other part is the Higher Mind (i.e. Unconditioned, Jot Saroop).
The mind is restlessness itself
Again, if we want to continue putting it in words, the lower mind is the sense of individuality in each one of us (Haumai or false ego-sense), which is attached to Maya, restless, wayward, external (our outer or false nature), Adharmee (ਅਧਰਮੀ), impure (Ashudh-ਅਸੁੱਧ), selfish, Manmukhi (Unenlightened), false, and so on.
Entangled in Maya, it is so restless and ignorant (the state of delirium, or perpetual slumber…) that it will foolishly stick its hand in fire or the mouth of the snake (ਚੰਚਲ ਮਤਿ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਬਪੁਰੇ ਕੀ ਸਰਪ ਅਗਨਿ ਕਰ ਮੇਲੈ ॥ – sggs 1266)!
On the other hand, the Higher Mind can be said to be our Inner Nature (i.e. True Nature as Jot Saroop), which is transcendent or detached from Maya, Dharmee (ਧਰਮੀ or Dharmraj-ਧਰਮਰਾਜ), True (ਸੱਚਾ-ਸੁੱਚਾ), embodiment of Truth (ਸੱਤ-ਸਰੂਪ), Pure (Shudh-ਸੁੱਧ), Unselfish, ਪਰਮਾਰਥੀ, All-Good, All-Giyan (Wisdom), Unconditioned, Changeless, Amrit, the Gurmukh, Awake, and so on.
The outer mind pulls out into the illusory world of the gross objects-emotions-thoughts, and the Inner Mind (Dharmnraj…) pulls inwards – towards the Mool (the Source…). Whenever the outer mind overrules the Inner Mind, then the Inner Mind (ਧਰਮੀ or ਧਰਮਰਾਜ) automatically and spontaneously records – ਲੇਖਾ, whether its becoming more ignorant (filthier etc.) or wiser (pure etc.), etc.
Whenever there is the reference of conquering, controlling, or annihilating the mind, it pertains to the lower (external, Haumai…) mind only.
In other words, the Goal is to make the two pieces ONE again (Whole, Saabat Soorat, Pooran-Brahm, etc.).
- ਯਾ ਜੁਗ ਮਹਿ ਏਕਹਿ ਕਉ ਆਇਆ ॥ ਜਨਮਤ ਮੋਹਿਓ ਮੋਹਨੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥: (Man) is born in this life only to become ONE (with Prabh, Mool, etc. – through Naam…). (But) ever since (man’s) birth, (he) has been enticed and deceived by Maya. (sggs 251).
To put it otherwise, by becoming the Gurmukh (by fully understanding and constantly living the Gurbani’s Wisdom…) when the flow of desires (ਮਨਸਾ-ਇੱਛਾ) is controlled, the Mayaic mind (ਇੱਛਾ ਸਹਿਤ ਮੱਨ) permeates the Pure mind (ਇੱਛਾ ਰਹਿਤ ਮੱਨ) – mind removes the mind. Thus, the apparently two minds become One:
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਆਪਣਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਸਬਦਿ ਕਸਵਟੀ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਝਗੜਾ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਨਾਲਿ ਸਥ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਮੰਝਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥ : By becoming the Gurmukh, applying the Touchstone of the Shabad (Wisdom, Naam, Upadesh…), the Gurmukh kills his mind (conquers his mind by annihilating false ego-sense, its attachment to Maya etc.). He fights with his own mind (to give up its evil inclinations or Bikaar and when they are given up), he settles with his mind (on how to lead life by Naam and then) remains absorbed in the mind itself (i.e. keeps other ideas away and leads life by Naam). (sggs 87).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਨਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥: O Nanak, through the (Higher) Mind, the (lower) mind is satisfied, and then, nothing comes or goes (sggs 514).
- ਮਾਣਕੁ ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰਸੀ ਸਚਿ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ਕਤੁ ॥: The Divine Jewel within the (Higher) Mind annihilates the (lower) mind; thus attached to the Truth, it does not wander deluded again (sggs 992).
Why do we need to kill the external mind in the first place?
- ਨਾ ਮਨੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਰੈ ॥: Maya can not be conquered without annihilation of the mind (sggs 1342).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਮਨ ਮੂਏ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥: Without subduing the mind, Bhagti cannot be practiced (sggs 1277).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਮਨ ਮੂਏ ਕੈਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਇ ॥: Without annihilating (conquering) the mind, how can ‘Hari’ (Mool, Source…) be realized? (sggs 665).
Annihilation of the Mayaic mind is the birth of the Wisdom
Simply put: When the deluded mind blends in its Original Source (through the untainted Wisdom of the Gurbani obtained through the Shabad-Vichaar), then its like water blending with water, milk blending with milk…:
- ਮਨੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥: The mind is conquered through the shabad; this is known to ‘Janu’ (Daas, Gurmukh, Bhagat…). (sggs 665).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਭਇਆ ਪਾਇਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥: O Kabeer! (One who has) obtained Brahm Giaan (Spiritual Knowledge, his) mind remains cool (stable, intuitively balanced, devoid of hunger for Maya or Bikaar (lust, anger, greed, etc.). (sggs 1373).
- ਬਸਤੁ ਮਾਹਿ ਲੇ ਬਸਤੁ ਗਡਾਈ ॥ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਭਿੰਨ ਨ ਕਹਨਾ ਜਾਈ ॥ ਬੂਝੈ ਬੂਝਨਹਾਰੁ ਬਿਬੇਕ ॥ : Just as when a thing is mixed with more of the same, the two cannot be differentiated. Similarly, the one who has realized God cannot be described as different from God (he/she Godlike). (But) a rare discerner understands it. (sggs 285).
Therefore, the Gurbani asks us to inquire into this mind (‘Khoj-ਖੋਜ’).
- ਇਸੁ ਮਨ ਕਉ ਨਹੀ ਆਵਨ ਜਾਨਾ ॥ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਗਇਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਾਚੁ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੬॥: This mind does not come and go. (One) whose doubt is dispelled, knows the Truth. ||6|| (sggs 330).
Some Related Posts:
- What is Mind?
- What is Killing the Mind
- Conquer the Mind, Conquer the World!
- Human Mind Acting Like Animals
- Crazy Mind
- Sandalwood Mind
- Frozen Mind!
- Gurbani Asks Burn Mind’s Bikaar
- Dance of the Mind Attached to Maya
- Dandout Bandan – Come with Mind Straight as a Stick
- Debugging Mind
- Gurbani is the Mirror of the Mind
- Gurbani Requires Mind to Focus on the Message
- Jot Saroop – Mind’s Original Nature
- Gurbani Says Investigate the Mind
- It’s the Mind that Needs to Become a Sikh
- Mind Clinging to Maya can’t be Trusted
- Mind Knowingly Commits Demerits
- Mind Must Bathe in the Pool of Wisdom/Virtues
- Mind Must Remain in its Khorr – True Home
- Mind Reconciles Mind
- Mind That Gives up Hunger for Maya Realizes its Mool
- Non-Gurmukh Mindset – Manmukh, Saakat, Mayadhaaree.
- O Wandering Mind! Come Home
- Pride Rots the Mind
- Oily Rag and the Human Mind
- Rebel Mind-King and its Formidable Fortress
- Stubborn Mindedness – a Mental Disease
- Two Minds
- We all Act in Accordance with the Nature of our Mind
- We are Neither the Body nor the Mind
- We Try Purchasing Satguru Instead of Selling Our Mind
- Whatever is in the Mind Comes Forth
- Belly Stuffed and Empty Mind
- Bridge that Links Human Mind to God Within!