As is the intellect, so does one understands, thinks, acts, behaves, talks, and so on. Therefore, the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) asserts that our intellect (Budhi) must Awaken to Sahaj (Natural state of Being, Giaan Avasthaa, State of Wisdom…), the Higher State of Knowledge (Bibek, Giaan, discernment…).
- ਉਪਜੈ ਸਹਜੁ ਗਿਆਨ ਮਤਿ ਜਾਗੈ ॥: (With the elimination of doubt from within) Sahaj wells up within (Natural state of Being…), the Intellect awakens to Spiritual Wisdom. (sggs 92).
- ਸਭ ਬੁਧੀ ਜਾਲੀਅਹਿ ਇਕੁ ਰਹੈ ਤਤੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ: All (Mayaic) intellect (ਸਾਰੀਆਂ ਹੀ ਸਿਆਣਪਾਂ) are unavailing (useless, futile…); only the Essence of Spiritual Wisdom lasts (remains…). ||4|| (sggs 1413).
At the present, our mind (Mann) and conscious (Chitt) are cracked, divided, or fragmented like two pieces of Daal (ਦਾਲ – split seed of lintel – ਦਲੀ ਹੋਈ ਦਾਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਦੋ ਫਾੜ). So long the mind is split as “Daal“, it will wander around in doubt and confusion.
- ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜਗੁ ਕਮਲਾ ਫਿਰੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਦਰੀ ਆਇਆ ॥: Without the Naam (Wisdom, Truth, Virtues…), the world wanders around insane; this is realized by becoming the Gurmukh. (sggs 643).
With the intellect Awakening to the Wisdom, the split (gap, crack, division…) heals to become one – whole, complete, total, Saabat-“ਸਾਬਤ”…).
- ਬੀਉ ਬੀਜਿ ਪਤਿ ਲੈ ਗਏ ਅਬ ਕਿਉ ਉਗਵੈ ਦਾਲਿ ॥ ਜੇ ਇਕੁ ਹੋਇ ਤ ਉਗਵੈ ਰੁਤੀ ਹੂ ਰੁਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Those who planted the seed (of Hari Naam-ਹਰੀ ਦਾ ਨਾਮ ਬੀਜ) have departed with honor; (but) for now the seed cannot sprout (because of duality, fragmentation-ਦਾਲ ਵਾਂਗ ਦੋ-ਫਾੜ ਹੋ ਰਹੇ, ਭਾਵ ਦੁਚਿੱਤਾ-ਪਨ, ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਦੇ ਕਾਰਨ ਜੀਵਾਂ ਦਾ ਮਨ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਜੁੜਦਾ…). The seed sprouts only if the seed is whole (undivided, Saabat-ਸਾਬਤ…) and if the season is proper (similarly, the Naam-seed sprouts within only if the mind and Consciousness – ਮੱਨ ਅਤੇ ਚਿੱਤ – are one: whole, complete, unfragmented, total, Saabat-ਸਾਬਤ…). (sggs 468).
Sahaj – State of Wisdom or Giaan Avasthaa
For Sikhs (learners or student of the SGGS), this Higher State of Knowledge or Gurmat (Wisdom, Giaan, Upadesh or Way of the SGGS…) is available in the SGGS for those who are sincerely interested in taking it and then living it.
- ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਬੁਧਿ ਅਰਪੀ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਉ ਤਬ ਹਮ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੋਏ ॥: (With the Grace of the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom) I have dedicated my mind, body and intellect to the Divine (i.e., Wisdom, Virtues, Truth…), since then I enjoy the Sahaj (-Avasthaa, Natural state of Being, State of Wisdom…). (sggs 214).
The Gurbani tells us that the Treasure or Jewel of the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom (Virtues, Divine Knowledge, Aatam Giaan, Spiritual Wisdom, ਗਿਆਨ ਖੜਗੁ-ਗਿਆਨ ਦੀ ਤਲਵਾਰ…) is ever present within, which brings Liberation from Maya, duality, Haumai, doubt, Bikaar…
- ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥: If one counsel (Upadesh) of the Guru is listened to, then the gems, jewels and rubies (i.e., Virtues, Wisdom…) awaken within the mind. (sggs 2).
Kubudh – corrupt intellect
The intellect, which is not awakened to the Gurmat is Kubudh (ਕੁਬੁੱਧ) or Durmat (“ਦੁਰਮਤਿ”) – evil intellect, corrupt nature, depraved, stupid, wicked, foolish, intellect fallen to the perpetual slumber of Maya, etc..
- ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ਮਤਾਗਲੁ ਮਤਾ ॥: Mind’s intellect is like a drunk elephant. (sggs 351).
- ਤਤੁ ਨ ਚੀਨੈ ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਜਲਿ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਵਿਛੁੜਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਮਾਨੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਸਭੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ॥: The Manmukh does not understand the Essence (Essence of Reality or Divine Knowledge that is contained in the Gurbani), burns (in Maya, Bikaar…). (Because of his) evil-mindedness, (he remains) separated from (his Mool, Truth…) and suffers. (One who) accepts the Hukam, he is blessed with all Virtues and total Wisdom. (sggs 944).
And how can we eradicate the mind’s crookedness or corrupt intellect (Kubudh), and make it Awaken to the Gurbani’s Wisdom?
- ਕੁਬੁਧਿ ਮਿਟੈ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥: Corrupt intellect is wiped out by Reflecting the Gur-Shabad (Shabad-Vichaar). (sggs 944).
- ਮਤਿ ਮਲੀਣ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਭਈ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੁਰਾਰਾ ॥: The polluted intellect becomes enlightened by understanding the Wisdom (Truth, Virtues…). (sggs 163).
- ਸਾ ਮਤਿ ਪੂਰੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥: That intellect is perfect which lives life by the Divine Virtues. (sggs 189)
Otherwise, what’s the use of reasoning and intellectualism, and reading Gurbani and listening to its recitations if it does not usher one in Viveka-Budhi, Total Spiritual Wisdom, Virtues or Dharma, etc.? What’s the use of talking about religion, spirituality, Gurmat, and Truth if not lived (ਅਮਲ)?
- ਗਿਆਨ ਖੜਗ ਪੰਚ ਦੂਤ ਸੰਘਾਰੇ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਜਾਗੈ ਸੋਇ ॥: (The person who) With the sword of the Spiritual Wisdom kill the five demons (i.e., ego and all its faults – lust, anger,greed, etc.), (he) remains Awake and Aware because of the Gurmat. (sggs 1414).
Modern Education lacks Awakening hence poisonous
An Awakened mind can discriminate between right and wrong, truth and untruth, etc. Accordingly, an Awakened mind blossoms forth and always do what is right, respectful and beneficial to everyone and everything.
An Awakened mind can lead the Way of Truth and inspires others to do so.
However, unfortunately, the modern education is only vocational training. Same is true for the Pujaaree systems of all the institutionalized religions.
You can even train a beast! What does it mean? It simply means training does not require Awakening.
Like a robot, a trained mind just learns to perform as programmed. Its main duty is to please its trainer, be it right or wrong, moral or immoral, false or true, absurd or wise, harmful or beneficial to the humans and rest of the creation, and so on.
We humans amongst all known creatures have the gift of Bibek Budh (discriminating intellect), and can self-judge the consequences of our thoughts and actions.
However, merely a trained mind or a trained beast cannot comprehend the consequences of their thoughts and actions.
Purpose of reading / listening Gurbani
Hence, only when the consciousness is Awakened can we truly say the individual is learned or educated.
The entire Gurbani is Naam (Truth, Wisdom…). Therefore, the purpose of reading/listening the Gurbani is to understand it through diligent Shabad-Vichaar, and suck the Wisdom out of it by churning the Gurbani. This is the real Bhagti of the Gurbani.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਬਿਬੇਕ ਬੁਧਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: The Gurmukh is blessed with spiritual wisdom and discerning intellect (sggs 317).
- ਸੋ ਧਨਵੰਤਾ ਜਿਸੁ ਬੁਧਿ ਬਿਬੇਕ ॥: Wealthy is that person who has Bibek Budh. (sggs 1150).
The ritualistic reading of the Gurbani is Useless. The ego-mind may not agree with the Gurbani’s bold assertion that reading and memorizing (religious texts, Granths…) is of no avail (Spiritual Gain, ਆਤਮਕ ਲਾਹਾ…) unless one gains Understanding (ਆਤਮਕ ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ) in his Heart. Here is the proof from the Gurbani:
- ਪਢੇ ਗੁਨੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਛੁ ਬਉਰੇ ਜਉ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਖਬਰਿ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥: O crazy man! (You) gain nothing by reading and studying if you do not gain the Understanding (ਆਤਮਕ ਸੂਝ-ਬੂਝ) in the Heart. ||2|| (sggs 483).
But unfortunately, the Gurbani has been confined to and made an object of worship like an idol – Karamkaand (rituals), keeping it wrapped in expensive clothes (Rumaalaas), reading it in ritualistic manners (Akhand Paaths, Nit-Nem, etc.), displaying it on expensive Palkis, traveling it in helicopters, empty bowing everywhere, performing Mayaic prayers in front of SGGS, filling Golak (with money) on its name, etc.
This is all business (ਧੰਧਾ) in the Name of SGGS – Brahmin-Matt (ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣੀ ਮਤ). The illiterate Pujaaree groups, Deraa-Vaad, the present Sikh Pujaaree system, etc., all follow and promote this Brahmin-Matt.
Thus, with the exception of “ਧੋਤੀ ਟਿਕਾ” (loin cloths and ritual frontal marks to foreheads, Janaeoo, etc.), the Pujaaree groups in Gurdwaras (including the so called Takhat) practice Brahmin-Matt in everything else they do.
The Pujaaree groups and the Deraa-Vaad have turned these places into the dens of mammon worshippers – Mayadhaaree, Manmukhs, Saakat, Thug, etc. This is what they teach to their followers who work as Bhais, Ragis, Kathaakaar, etc., in Gurdawaras!
- ਗਲੀ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹਾ ਜਪਮਾਲੀਆ ਲੋਟੇ ਹਥਿ ਨਿਬਗ ॥ ਓਇ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਸੰਤ ਨ ਆਖੀਅਹਿ ਬਾਨਾਰਸਿ ਕੇ ਠਗ ॥੧॥: Who have rosaries around their necks, and glittering jugs in their hands, (just because of such religious paraphernalia) they should not be called the Divine’s Sant — they are thugs of Banaras (sggs 476).
Like the Hindu Brahmins/Pandits, these Sikh Brahmins/Pandits spread Karamkaand and deceive people for bread (money, ਰੋਟੀਆਂ).
Mere talks will not do the trick
However, the Gurbani warns us that this sought after Giaan (Wisdom, Knowledge, Gurmat…) is not to be realized by mere words or talks (ਫੋਕੀਆਂ ਗੱਲਾਂ), or rituals (Karamkaand), etc.
- ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨ ਗਲੀਈ ਢੂਢੀਐ ਕਥਨਾ ਕਰੜਾ ਸਾਰੁ ॥: Divine Wisdom / Divine Knowledge (Giaan) cannot be found through mere words; to explain it is as hard as iron (sggs 465).
Through useless talks, all one can obtain is falsehood (“ਕੂੜੋ”) and fraud, not Wisdom or Union with our Divine Self within (Jot Saroop). Also, through mere talks, mind’s hunger for Maya will only increase…