The Gurbani Teaches us that “I-am-the body” idea is erroneous – mistaken identity. This error arises out of the body-consiousness or body-attachment (ਦੇਹ-ਅੱਧਿਆਸ, Mayaic consciousness, conditioned or contaminated consciousness, etc.).
The Spirituality of the Shabad removes doubts (ਭਰਮ-ਜਾਲ:Bharam-Jaal).
Sidhs (Yogis) asked Baabaa Nanak:
- ਤੇਰਾ ਕਵਣੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਤੂ ਚੇਲਾ॥: Who is your Guru (i.e. what’s the Source of your Enlightenment or Wisdom) that you adhere to? (sggs 942).
Baabaa Nanak’s reply:
- ਸਬਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਧੁਨਿ ਚੇਲਾ ॥: My Guru (i.e. the Source of my Enlightenment or Giaan-ਗਿਆਨ) is the Shabad, I adhere to its Instructions (Message, Advice, Guidance etc.) Within (sggs 943).
Literally, Surat (ਸੁਰਤਿ) = Consciousness, memory, recollection, Budh, Soch-ਸੋਚ etc..
Now, the ‘Shabad-ਸਬਦੁ‘, ‘Surat-ਸੁਰਤਿ’, and ‘Dhun-ਧੁਨਿ’ are all Formless.
- ਕਬੀਰ ਜੋ ਹਮ ਜੰਤੁ ਬਜਾਵਤੇ ਟੂਟਿ ਗਈਂ ਸਭ ਤਾਰ ॥ ਜੰਤੁ ਬਿਚਾਰਾ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਚਲੇ ਬਜਾਵਨਹਾਰ ॥੧੦੩॥: Kabeer, all the strings of the instrument (of the the body – ਦੇਹ-ਅੱਧਿਆਸ ਦਾ ਵਾਜਾ) that I (always) played are broken. (Now) What can the poor instrument (body) do, when the Player (who was playing this instrument of the body Within) has departed. ||103|| (sggs 1369).
In nutshell, the Gurbani tells us that neither the Guru (Giaan-ਗਿਆਨ) is a physical body nor the disciple (i.e. the mind or Consciousness) is physical.
Thus, the Gurbani here repudiates (Khandan) the body-consciousness, body-attachment, ‘I-am-the-body’ idea (or ਦੇਹ-ਅੱਧਿਆਸ).
If we mistakenly confound our Real Identity or Mool (Jot-Saroop) with the gross body, then that’s our Bharam (ਭਰਮ-doubt). The Gurbani labors to remove this Bharam (of body-consciousness or ‘I am the body’ idea.
But, on account of Bharam-Jaal (doubts or ਭਰਮ, ignorance, etc.), we are calling this body ‘you’ and ‘I, me’. However, as asserted by the Gurbani, neither ‘you’ is body, nor ‘I, me’ is body. It is something else that animates this body from Within. That is the Real ‘us’ of ‘you’ and ‘me’, which is formless. When that Real Factor (which is common Factor in all of us – the Real ‘us’) departs from this body, then the body instrument becomes dead – there remains no ‘ਸੁਰਤਿ ਧੁਨਿ – Surt Dhun’ in it.
Now, how can we remove the Bharam (doubt)?
The Gurbani reveals that we can remove this Bharam through the constant Shabad-Vichaar (Inner Inquiry, Investigation, Reflections, Search or Khoj)
- ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਇਆ ॥ The Perfect Guru has dispelled all doubts. (sggs 178).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਭਰਮੁ ਨ ਚੂਕਈ ਨਾ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੬॥: Without the Shabad, doubt is not dispelled, and egotism is not eliminated from within. ||6|| (sggs 67).
- ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਭਰਮ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥: By the Grace of the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom, doubt is dispelled. (sggs 294).
- ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੇ ਪਰਦੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਖੋਲ੍ਹ੍ਹੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The Satigur (i.e., Sach Daa Giaan – Knowledge of Truth) has removed the veil of doubt (from within). ||1||Pause|| (sggs 385).
- ਗਿਆਨੁ ਭਇਆ ਤਹ ਕਰਮਹ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੩॥: When the spiritual Wisdom wells up within, then the (love of Mayaic efforts or) deeds end. ||3|| (sggs 1167).
- ਬਿਦਿਆ ਸੋਧੈ ਤਤੁ ਲਹੈ …॥: Bidiaa Sodhai tatt lahai … (sggs 938).
Sub: To control on the ragis
all the ragis as they become popular they start demanding in lacs and they only want to travel in air. that means if any place dose,t have air or can’t afford to pay in lacs they will not go for prachar.
they have forgot the teaching of gurbani. poors can’t have kirtan or khatha.
this should be controlled and takhat sahib should direct them to all the places where ever sangat wants them and the pay should be considered by the takhatshahib by the grade.
Comments are closed.