The Gurbani gives us glimpses of God.
First, the Gurbani says God dwells within the heart of all of us, day and night. And, according to the Gurbani, those who don’t understand this simple fact are just fools.
- ਤੂ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਗੁਪਤੁ ਵਸਹਿ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਉ ਨ ਬੁਝਹਿ ਗਵਾਰੀ ॥: (O Lord) You dwell, hidden, within the heart (of all beings) day and night, but the fools do not understand to Love You (sggs 607).
Second, the Gurbani repeatedly stresses that our mind is Jot Saroop. But, it is the curtain of our false ego-sense (Haumai – ਹਉਮੈ) that intervenes.
- ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥ (sggs 441).
- ਇਉ ਹਉ ਭੀਤਿ ਭਇਓ ਹੈ ਬੀਚੋ ਸੁਨਤ ਦੇਸਿ ਨਿਕਟਾਇਓ ॥ ਭਾਂਭੀਰੀ ਕੇ ਪਾਤ ਪਰਦੋ ਬਿਨੁ ਪੇਖੇ ਦੂਰਾਇਓ ॥੩॥: (O my mother, I) hear this that (my Beloved) dwells near in my heart, (but) the wall of egotism intervenes between (me and Him). Like the wings of a butterfly, there is a veil between (me and Him); without being able to see Him (due to the curtain of egotism, I), deem Him distant ||3|| (sggs 624).
Third, the Gurbani time and again stresses that God is omnipresence, omnipotence and omniscience. In other words, the entire creation is pervaded with His infinite Grace.
- ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਖਲਕ ਖਲਕ ਮਹਿ ਖਾਲਿਕੁ ਪੂਰਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਬ ਠਾਂਈ ॥: The Creation is in the Creator (God), and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places (sggs 1350).
Fourth, God, the All-knowing Eternal Principle, is Unmanifest or Transcendent (Param Tant, Nirguna, Timeless, Undying, Unborn, Changeless, Formless, Inaccessible, Unreachable or Unapproachable, Unrivaled or Incomparable, Incomprehensible, Unseen or Invisible, Inscrutable, Infinite, Limitless, Unfathomable, Immaculate, Absolute and Unchanging Reality, Incalculable, and so on.
In addition to God’s Transcendent aspect, He is also said to be Immanent (Sarguna or revealed). God is both Immanent and Transcendent does not mean these are two phases of God. But these are two aspects of the same Reality.
- ਤੂੰ ਨਿਰਗੁਨ ਤੂੰ ਸਰਗੁਨੀ ॥੨॥: Toon niragun toon saragunee ||2|| (sggs 211).
- ਪਰਮ ਤੰਤ ਮਹਿ ਰੇਖ ਨ ਰੂਪੁ ॥: The Supreme Essence of the Reality has no shape or form (sggs 952).
- ਕੋਇ ਨ ਜਾਨੈ ਤੁਮਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ॥: (O Lord) No one knows Your limits (sggs 268).
Fifth, since God is within each of us here and now, the Gurbani repeatedly reminds us that there is nowhere to go to find Him! And that those who look for Him elsewhere are just deluded.
- ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥: Everything is within the Home (of the self, Heart, Antahakaran, ਅੰਤਹ ਕਰਨ ਰੂਪੀ ਘਰ ਅੰਦਰ, ਹਿਰਦੇ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ…); there is nothing outside of It. Who searches outside is deluded by doubts. By “Gur Parasaadee” (i.e., by the Gur-Grace: Grace of the Gur-Giaan…), who has Realized (Truth…) within is Happy inwardly and outwardly (i.e., totally Happy, Easy, Comfortable, Peaceful, Blissful, Joyful, ਸੌਖਾ, ਸੁਖੀ, ਆਤਮਕ ਸੁਖ…) ||1|| (sggs 102).
Last, but not least, the Gurbani asserts that when a person realizes God within his own body (by removing the curtain of the false ego-sense; acquiring all the godly virtues or qualities God is indicated to exhibit; etc.) that person himself becomes God-like. In other words, he links in Union with God by dissolving his limited individual self (Haume) into the Infinite Wisdom (Brahm Giaan).
- ਆਪੁ ਗਇਆ ਤਾ ਆਪਹਿ ਭਏ ॥: When ego (ਆਪਾ-ਭਾਵ) is gone, (one) becomes the Lord (ਉਹ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦਾ ਰੂਪ ਹੀ ਹੋ ਗਇਆ) Himself (sggs 202).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਆਪਿ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰ ॥੬॥: Says Nanak, the knower of God (Brahm Giaanee) himself is the exalted Lord ||6|| (sggs 273).
However, for the sake of Golak (money, bread, ਰੋਟੀਆਂ…), the illiterate and self-serving Sikh Pujaaree groups want people to remain tied to some fake or imaginary god and Sachkhand “up there” somewhere! There aim is to keep people confused, ignorant, and tied to ueless Karamkaand from which Baabaa Nanak freed us. Fittingly, the SGGS commands all Sikhs to discard the corrupt Pujaaree system from Sikhi.
In nutshell, Rabb – without form-shape-color (without “Roopu-ਰੂਪੁ”, “Raekh-ਰੇਖ”, and “Rangu-ਰੰਗੁ”) – is within our brain as: