The Gurmat Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) tells us that only the Gurmukh knows its true nature, which is ‘Koorh-ਕੂੜ’ (false or fleeting). Therefore, The Gurmukh is the only one who knows how to handle it, without getting ‘burnt‘ in the process! However, it’s the ignorant one (Manmukh-Saakat-Mayadhaaree) who gets fooled by its mirage-like, enchanting and deceptive appearance. As a result, he gets attached to it, and suffers the consequences of his error!
- ਜੈਸਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਕਸੁੰਭ ਕਾ ਤੈਸਾ ਇਹੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: This world is like the (pale, temporary…) color of the safflower (sggs 346).
- ਹਥੁ ਨ ਲਾਇ ਕਸੁੰਭੜੈ ਜਲਿ ਜਾਸੀ ਢੋਲਾ ॥: O friend! Do not touch the safflower (i.e., Maya); if you do, you will get ‘burnt’ (i.e., your love for this deceptive Maya will lead you to sufferings) (sggs 794).
The Creative, Universal Energy has made this massive world-picture very wondrous indeed. But the Gurbani Cautions us as follows:
- ਚਚਾ ਰਚਿਤ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਭਾਰੀ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚੇਤਹੁ ਚਿਤਕਾਰੀ ॥ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਇਹੈ ਅਵਝੇਰਾ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚਿਤੁ ਰਾਖਿ ਚਿਤੇਰਾ ॥੧੨॥: CHACHA (a letter of the Gurmukhi alphabet): This created world (of the Rabb orUniversal Energy…) is (as it were) a very big picture. Forgetting (the love or attachment of this) picture, remember the Artist (Rabb or the Universal Energy…). (Because) the problem is that this (world-form) picture is captivating to the mind. (So, to avoid this attachment) leave the picture (thought) and keep your mind in the picture maker. ||12|| (sggs 340).
So, to escape from this mirage-like, enchanting world, the Gurbani urges us to focus the consciousness on the Maker of this world-picture, not world itself. For the Maker pervades it as well.
- ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਕੈ ਵਸਿਆ ਸੋਇ ॥: Having created Kudrat, (the Universal Energy, Hukam: System-Rule-Law of Nature…) abides in it. (sggs 83).
Thus, The Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS tells us that the real nature of the enchanting world is realized when we wake up to the Wisdom that the world is as unsubstantial as a dream. Viveka-Budhi is Awakened by constantly probing the nature of one’s Mool ( Source, Origin, Jot Saroop ….) and learning to dissociate the affinities to the body-senses and the material world.
- ਮਾਈ ਮਾਇਆ ਛਲੁ ॥: O mother! Maya is deceitful. (sggs 717).
- ਬਾਬਾ ਮਾਇਆ ਰਚਨਾ ਧੋਹੁ ॥: O brother! Deceitful (fleeting etc.) is the worldly splendor. (sggs 15).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹਤ ਜਗਤ ਸਭ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਜਿਉ ਸੁਪਨਾ ਰੈਨਾਈ ॥੨॥੧॥: Nanak says, the entire material world is illusion like the nightly dream ||2||1|| (sggs 1231).