- ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਅੰਧੇਰਾ ਕਟਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡੁ ਬਲਾਇਆ ॥ : The darkness of ignorance has been dispelled from within me by the Blazing Light of the Lamp of the Guru’s Gifted Wisdom. (sggs 78).
Now let’s pause for a moment and ponder: If our Guru is ‘Parchand’ ‘Giyan’ — ‘ਗਿਆਨੁ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡੁ: Blazing Light of Wisdom’ — then why the image of Sikhs is NOT that of a very educated and wise people?
For example, consider scenes of fighting, rage or brawl (physical or verbal) inside Gurdwaras! Whenever that happens, it is not uncommon to see the Gurdwara secretary or Pardhaan etc. making an appeal which may go something like this: ‘Please do not argue/fight/lie/call names here inside the Gurdwara. Please go outside the Gurdwara…’
- Does our Giyan Guru teach there is no God outside the Gurdwara building?
- Does our Giyan Guru teach there is a different God outside the Gurdwara building than inside the Gurdwara building?
- Does our Giyan Guru teach us that Gurdwara building is the House of God or God is confined only to the Gurdwara buildings?
- Does our Giyan Guru teach us that the rest of the world outside the Gurdwara building is not the House of God?
- Did Baabaa Nanak accept Muslim clergy’s similar arguments at Mecca that Kaaba was the House of God? Have we Sikhs learnt anything from Baabaa Nanak?
- If we really believe SGGS as our Giyan Guru then why do we practice anti-Gurmat rituals (Karamkaand), superstitions, senselessness, stale beliefs of Biparvaad etc. that have been critiqued, debunked and rejected by our Giyan Guru?
Distorted thinking (Soch-ਸੋਚ), concocted concepts and pre-1469 belief system belong to other man-made worldly religions (ਮਜ਼ਹਬ). IT DOES NOT BELONG TO the Unique (‘Nirmal‘) SIKHI OR GURMAT OF BAABAA NANAK! The Gurbani in SGGS warns us against such perverted thinking Soch-ਸੋਚ). The Gurbani rejects any particular geographical location or building as an abode of God:
- ਅਲਹੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਸੀਤਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਅਵਰੁ ਮੁਲਖੁ ਕਿਸੁ ਕੇਰਾ ॥ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਦੁਹ ਮਹਿ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਹੇਰਾ ॥੧॥ ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਜੀਵਉ ਤੇਰੇ ਨਾਈ ॥ ਤੂ ਕਰਿ ਮਿਹਰਾਮਤਿ ਸਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਦਖਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਹਰੀ ਕਾ ਬਾਸਾ ਪਛਿਮਿ ਅਲਹ ਮੁਕਾਮਾ ॥ ਦਿਲ ਮਹਿ ਖੋਜਿ ਦਿਲੈ ਦਿਲਿ ਖੋਜਹੁ ਏਹੀ ਠਉਰ ਮੁਕਾਮਾ ॥੨॥ : If (as per Muslim belief) Allah lives only in mosque, then to whom does the rest of the world belong? And Hindus believe that God resides in an idol; there is no truth (ਅਸਲੀਅਤ) in these claims (of both Hindus and Muslims – both have NOT realized the Essence of Truth or God). ||1|| O God – the Allah and the Ram – I remain spiritually alive by remembering Your as ONE. O God! Please bestow Your mercy. ||1||Pause|| (Hindus believe their) God’s abode is in the south direction (i.e. in Jagannath Puri), and (Muslims believe their) God or Allah’s abode is in the west (i.e. in Mecca). (But O man!) Search God Within your Heart and ONLY in your Heart; because this is the ONLY place where God lives ||2|| (sggs 1349).
- ਕਾਦੀ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਮਲੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਜੀਆ ਘਾਇ ॥ ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧੁ ॥ ਤੀਨੇ ਓਜਾੜੇ ਕਾ ਬੰਧੁ ॥੨॥: The clergy of the Muslim faith was corrupt, the Brahmin was murderous and the Yogi Un-Enlightened. These three (clergy) had become the root cause for the spiritual wreckage and desolation that mankind had come to endure. (sggs 662).
- ਮਨੁ ਮੰਦਰੁ ਤਨੁ ਵੇਸ ਕਲੰਦਰੁ ਘਟ ਹੀ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਵਾ ॥ ਏਕੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਮੇਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਾਨਿ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਬਾਹੁੜਿ ਜਨਮਿ ਨ ਆਵਾ ॥੧॥ : (Now that the Enlightening spiritual Message of the Shabad has become the support of my life) my mind has become the temple, the dwelling for God, my body (i.e. all of my senses) has become mendicant (i.e. my wandering senses have returned within), now I only BATHE at this TEERATH Within. The one divine Shabad has become the support of my life (now I’m convinced my mind) will not go astray in life again. (sggs 795).
ONE Omnipresent Creator -in and out
Gurbani in SGGS teaches us about ONE OMNIPRESENT Creator (ONE Universal Energy, Hukam, Source etc.). This is basics of Sikhi. However, due to distortion of Baabaa Nanak’s Sikhi by the anti-Gurmat Bipar-Vaad, the very basics of Gurmat seems to have been replaced with Vipar ‘Soch-ਸੋਚ’ (thinking):
- ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਅਨੰਤ ॥ : The Infinite God is Within and outside. (sggs 293).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਸੇ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੀ ਓਹੀ ॥ : (One who has Realized God) believes the same One Creator Within (Nirgun or invisible form) and Without (Sargun or visible form). (sggs 294).
- ਹਉ ਹਉ ਮੈ ਮੈ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਖੋਵੈ ॥ ਦੂਜਾ ਮੇਟੈ ਏਕੋ ਹੋਵੈ ॥ ਜਗੁ ਕਰੜਾ ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਗਾਵਾਰੁ ॥ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਮਾਈਐ ਖਾਈਐ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਅਗਨਿ ਮਰੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਭਾਣੈ ॥੪੬॥ : (Genuine spirituality requires the) extrication of oneself (false ego-sense) from the primacy of self and selfishness. (Genuine spirituality requires the) the adoption of the One Creator and elimination of spirituality other than relating to the One. Spiritual Life is impossible in a self-willed and unenlightened state. To undertake genuine spirituality is to Become the Shabad (by Internalizing the Shabad, one can chew genuine spirituality which is difficult or hard like iron). (To become the Message of the Shabad is to) Realize the One Creator Within and Without. Nanak, a mind that is detached from (the fire of) desires is acquired through Enlightenment of the Shabad (Satgur). ॥46॥ (sggs 943).
Having said that, whatever is considered good, appropriate or auspicious inside a Gurdwara building must also be good, appropriate or auspicious at all the time and at all the places in life! Then why is it that we want to behave in certain ways only inside the Gurdwara building but not everywhere else in the world?
- ਦੀਨੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਰੇ ਦਿਵਾਨੇ ਦੀਨੁ ਬਿਸਾਰਿਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਪੇਟੁ ਭਰਿਓ ਪਸੂਆ ਜਿਉ ਸੋਇਓ ਮਨੁਖੁ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਹਾਰਿਓ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਤਿ ਕਬਹੂ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਨੀ ਰਚਿਓ ਧੰਧੈ ਝੂਠ ॥ ਸੁਆਨ ਸੂਕਰ ਬਾਇਸ ਜਿਵੈ ਭਟਕਤੁ ਚਾਲਿਓ ਊਠਿ ॥੧॥ : O madman! You have forgotten your Dharma (of Virtues, Sach or Truth, Duty of life-ਫਰਜ…); you have forgotten your Dharma. Like animals, you fill your belly and sleep; you have wasted and lost this human life. ||1||Pause|| Having never done Sangat of the Guru, but having concocted tasks of fakery; one lives one’s life akin to that of a dog, hog and crow. ||1|| (sggs 1105).
Gurdwara is a school of learning Gurmat
Gurdwara is not a place for sword wielding, gun toting, removing each others turban and pulling each other by hair etc.!
For a Sikh, Gurdwara is a school of learning Gurmat (‘ਗੁਰੂ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਹੋਇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥’). The institution of Gurdwara evolved from its predecessor Dharamsaal, first established by Guru Nanak Dev Ji at Kartarpur where he settled with a small group of his Sikhs to imbue them with Gurmat.
Therefore, Gurdwara is charged with the responsibility to teach Gurmat and continuously reinforce it — learning how to walk the spiritual path, the Way of the Guru Shabad (Giyan Guru). Unlike a temple, a mosque or a church, Gurdwara certainly is not a place where one goes to perform certain rites and rituals under the direction of a priest. In the house of Nanak such ritualistic practices (Karamkaand) earn no merit and have no place in the life of a Sikh. Having said that, Gurdwara is not a place of idol worship, nor a place of promoting and performing anti-Gurmat rituals.
- ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਭੇਦੀਐ ਕਿਉ ਸੋਹੈ ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰਿ ॥ : As long as (one’s mind) has NOT Realized the Enlightenment of the Shabad, (until then one does NOT) look Beauteous (Inner Beauty: state of Bliss, abidance in one’s Jot Saroop) in the Pathway of the Guru (there will be NO Realization of the Creator in Conscience, Within). (sggs 19).
- ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਚਜੁ ਅਚਾਰੁ ਸਿਖੁ ਤੁਧੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਲਗੈ ਦੁਖੁ ॥੩॥ : Meeting the Gur (-Giaan, Wisdom…), learn skill (of life) and good conduct, then sorrow will never affect you. ||3|| (sggs 50).
- ਸਚੁ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਧੰਨੁ ਗੁਰਦੁਆਰੁ ॥ : Blessed is the Gurduaar (Pathway of the Guru) where I can Realize the Creator. (sggs 153).
We come to Gurdwara to learn Truth (ਸਚ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ) from our Giyan Guru so that we can live an Enlightened Life (Gurmukh Lifestyle) everywhere and all the time.
- ਸਿਖੀ ਸਿਖਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਨਦਰੀ ਕਰਮਿ ਲਘਾਏ ਪਾਰਿ ॥ : Sikhi is contemplation on Guru’s teaching (Instructions, Wisdom, Counsel, Guide, Upadesh, Giyan, Bibek) and acting on it. Being blessed by the Grace of the Guru’s teaching one then crosses the ocean of worldly temptations and their corrupting influences (Bhav Saagar). (sggs 465).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਅਗਨਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੀ ॥ : Internalization of the spiritual Message of the Shabad (the Gurmukh-Hood State of Mind) eliminates Haumai (the root of vices or Bikaar). (sggs 943).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਬਦਿ ਅਚਾਰਿ ॥ : The Message embedded within the Shabad causes Realization (of the Creator) to come about. (sggs 941).
The Unique spirituality of the Guru Shabad (SGGS) teaches us about Universal Dharma of divine Virtues (ਗੁਣ), which is the same over time, culture, region, age, location etc.
But, what’s Dharma? The word Dharma comes from the Sanskrit root ‘Dhri‘, which means ‘to hold’. Therefore, Dharma refers to that innate characteristic or Eternal Nature which constantly exists with a particular object — the Eternal function or True Nature of all beings.
For example, heat is the natural Dharma of fire, liquidity is the natural Dharma of water, light is the natural Dharma of sun, to produce plants is the natural Dharma of a seed, energy is the natural Dharma of electricity, and so on. Hence, the word Dharma referrers to and expresses the vital or Essential Nature of men, animals, all other creatures, metals, and so on. Dharma, therefore, is a comprehensive term that refers to the immutable Hukam (Universal System-Rule-Law of Nature, ਕੁਦਰਤੀ ਨਿਯਮ).
Hence, for a heat or water or wind to become ‘Without Dharma‘ is to forget or give up their Inherited Qualities (ਗੁਣ) or duty.
Similarly, at the human level, to become ‘Without Dharma‘ (become A-Dharnee, ਅਧਰਮੀ) is to forget or give up one’s Inherited Qualities (ਗੁਣ, Virtues, Wisdom, Jot Saroop…) or duty (responsibility-ਫਰਜ, ਜਿੰਮੇਵਾਰੀ).
- ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸ੍ਰੇਸਟ ਧਰਮੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਕੋ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਰਮੁ ॥ : Of all Dharma the most sublime Dharma is to realize the Naam (Wisdom / Virtues) and emulating them to perform deeds free of corrupting influence of Maya (live a clean/spiritual life). (sggs 266).
- ਨਾਮੁ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਸਗਲ ਆਚਾਰ ॥ : Naam (Wisdom, Virtues…) is my good conduct. (sggs 1145).
Simply put: We come to Gurdwara to learn and Awaken intellect to the Guru’s Giyan-Wisdom to this One Eternal Dharma which, according to Gurbani, we have forgotten! After remembering this One Dharma, the next step is to live in daily life everywhere, regardless whether inside a Gurdwara or outside!
The Gurbani teaches us removing negativity and filth from the mind; and filling it with Virtues and Wisdom. The Gurbani in SGGS teaches Purity of the mind is essential to link with one’s True Nature Within (Jot Saroop). This ascent in spiritual progress is described in the Gurbani in five Khands (Realms or Stages) — Dharma Khand, Giaan Khand, Saram Khand, Karma Khand and Sach Khand.
The Gurbani also asks us to constantly inculcate essentials Virtues (ਗੁਣ) such as Truth (ਸਤ), contentment (ਸੰਤੋਖ), mercy (ਦਯਾ), patience (ਧੀਰਜ), Sahaj (ਸਹਜ-Natural State of Being), Wisdom (ਗਿਆਨ), no nonsense talking, no arguments or scuffles, no slandering, conducting nicely and selflessly, keeping serving attitude, and so on.
Similar restraints are also expected to curb other vices/Bikaar — lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride; and their countless variations. We try to adhere to these principles inside the Gurdwara. But, as soon as the majority of us walk out of the Gurdwara building (sometime even inside the Gurdwara), normally it’s the opposite that takes place — nonessentials become limitless. The Gurbani tells that, not a few, but all vices/Bikaars of the mind including Haumai (false ego-sense) must be replaced with good thoughts, Virtues etc.
- ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਿਖੁ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਤੇ ਹਾਟੈ ॥ : The Sikh of the Guru recoils (withdraws, ਹਟ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ…) from Bikaars (sggs 286).
- ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਹਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਨ ਵੀਚਾਰਹਿ ਇਹੁ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਕਾ ਆਚਾਰੁ ॥ : The conduct of the Manmukh is that he does not think of the Divine Naam, and he does not contemplate the Shabad (sggs 508).
It’s a wrong signal to send to the people that the do’s and don’ts of the ideals and Principles of the Gurmat applies inside a Gurdwara but not to a outside life. Appropriate lifestyle inside the Gurdwara and the same outside cannot be separated. They are meant to be intertwined. Spiritual and material life must be in harmony. To live such a life is like standing in the fire without getting burnt (Gurmukh lifestyle)! It’s difficult without discriminating intellect (Bibek) and detachment.
Any unethical misconduct, regardless of time and place, is falsehood or unrighteousness (Adharma). Also, any required conduct or action not performed properly, regardless of time and place, is falsehood or unrighteousness (Adharma) as well.
The Gurbani teaches us that the One Creator (Rabb, Universal Energy…) is everywhere and in every being. Therefore, all our thoughts, actions and words (Mann, Karma and Bachan) must be in full Awareness of this One Divine Principle. Practice of good actions, good conduct and good qualities everywhere and in all circumstances is also a part of Gurmat Bhagti. Of course this will require surrendering of the crazy mind!
- ਨਹ ਬਿਲੰਬ ਧਰਮੰ ਬਿਲੰਬ ਪਾਪੰ ॥ : Do not delay in practicing Dharma; delay in committing sins (sggs 1354).
- ਮਨੁ ਬੇਚੈ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਪਾਸਿ ॥ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੇਵਕ ਕੇ ਕਾਰਜ ਰਾਸਿ ॥ : (One who) sell his mind (surrenders his ego-sense, Haumai, etc.) to the Satgur (who has the Knowledge of Truth – ਸਚ ਦਾ ਗਿਆਨ), that humble servant’s work (the purpose of life, etc.) becomes fitting or complete (he becomes Gurmukh, Jeevamukat, Enlightened, God-Realized…). (sggs 286).
The Gurdwara is meant to continuously teach Gurmat values so the learners can learn to remove bad thoughts, selfishness, slavery to bad habits, remembrance of One Divine Principles etc. In short, Gurdwara symbolizes an Ideal — the Guru’s Pathway or the Doorway to Giyan-Wisdom, Bibek, Virtues etc. Therefore, when we enter these places, sacred or true ideals should well up in our minds, and when we leave these places the same thoughts should stay with us, regardless of where we are.
Do we use places like Gurdwaras for their intended use? If not, the problem is not with Gurdwaras but with us because the majority of us are mentally crooked like the ‘dog’s tail‘. The Gurbani teaches us not to become burden to the society by harboring negativity, selfishness and slavery to bad habits. The Gurbani counsels us that by constantly imbibing in good thoughts and living in harmony with Hukam (Being ‘Sachiaaraa’), one can successfully progress spiritually.
- ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਆਚਾਰੁ ਨ ਕਿਨ ਹੀ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ : Without the (Wisdom of the Gur-) Shabad, no one achieves a lifestyle of good conduct. (sggs 1285).
- ਭਾਂਡਾ ਹਛਾ ਸੋਇ ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵਸੀ ॥ ਭਾਂਡਾ ਅਤਿ ਮਲੀਣੁ ਧੋਤਾ ਹਛਾ ਨ ਹੋਇਸੀ ॥ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਹੋਇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਇਸੀ ॥ ਏਤੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਧੋਇ ਹਛਾ ਹੋਇਸੀ ॥ : The only mind that is pure is pleasing to (the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom). The mind that is filthy with Bikaar (i.e. lust, anger, greed, etc.) does not become pure simply by being washed (e.g., bathing at the so called sacred Srovar, rivers etc.). One is Blessed with the true Wisdom of the Guru only by internalizing the Message contained in the Guru’s Shabad. By getting the mind cleansed this way alone one Realizes the Creator within. (sggs 730).
- ਲੋਭਾਦਿ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਪਰ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੰ ਜਦਿਬਿਧਿ ਆਚਰਣੰ ॥ ਤਜਿ ਸਕਲ ਦੁਹਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੁਰਮਤੀ ਭਜੁ ਚਕ੍ਰਧਰ ਸਰਣੰ ॥੩॥ : Forsake greed, and do not look upon other’s home (ਪਰਾਏ ਘਰ ਵਲ ਦੇਖਣਾਂ…), and give up conduct that is ‘Jadibidhi‘ (against the established norms of moral, ethics …). Renounce all evil deeds and evil inclinations, and hurry to the Lord’s Sanctuary ||3|| (sggs 526).
If our Guru is Giyan (ਗਿਆਨ), then the image of Sikhs in the world should have been that of a very educated and wise people. Ever wonder why our image in the world could not be like that?
If we Sikhs really accept SGGS as our Giyan (ਗਿਆਨ) Guru, then Gurmat of Baabaa Nanak must be freed from:
- People hungry of Chaudhar (ਚੌਧਰ) and for their economic and political interests.
- Bipar-Vaad that has crept into the practice of Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak.
- Anti-Gurmat or anti-Nanak groups or organizations adulterating the Unique and Revolutionary Gurmat or Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak.
- Self-serving Pujaaree (clergy) groups: Granthis, Parcharaks, Ragis, Dhadees etc.), all kinds of Deraas and their freeloading so called sants and baabaas (ਵੇਹਲੜ)…who are schooled and trained in Nirmala traditions (Brahminical traditions). Including all the Takhats, probably over 90 percent Gurdwaras worldwide are under the control of anti-Gurmat and anti-Nanak groups or organizations and their trained Pujaaree groups. This is the Sikhi that was promoted by the British Rule in India after they annexed Punjab in 1839 AD to divide Sikhs and thus control and rule Punjab.
- Self-appointed so called leaders or guardians of Sikhi of Baabaa Nanak, whose personal lives are in total contradiction to the principles laid down by our glorious Giyan-Guru Shabad. The political Sikh leadership is also morally corrupt and spiritually bankrupt.
Until then the Pure/Pristine Message or Giyan of our Giyan (ਗਿਆਨ) Guru is not going to see the light of day!
- ਮਾਇਆ ਡਰ ਡਰਪਤ ਹਾਰ ਗੁਰਦੁਅਰੈ ਜਾਵੈ ਤਹਾ ਜਉ ਮਾਇਆ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਕਹਾ ਠਹਰਾਈਐ ॥੫੪੪॥ : Weary of the dread and dragon-net of Maya (i.e. Maya’s onslaught…), if one goes to the Gurdwara, and if Maya penetrates there too, then where would one go to Rest or Escape! (Kabit Bhai Gurdas Ji, 544).
Some related Posts:
- Leave Ego Personality and Shoes Outside!
- Gurbani is not Meant to Regurgitate Pre-1469 Beliefs
- Gur Charan Kamal, Gur Charan Dhoorh and Gur Moorat
- Gurmat Recommends Shabad Based Householder’s Life
- Distortion of the Gurbani/Gurmat/Sikhi: A brief history
- True Guru in Sikhi!
- Sikhi: a Way of Life
- Gurmat and Social Change
- Seven Days of a Sikh
- Gurbani Defines Pardhaan, Leader…