Retired Engineer, U.S.A, I maintain this Gurbani.org website since 1993. In the beginning, it was on a temporary site. Then we moved it to a permanent domain after a few years.
Neither a scholar, nor a philosopher, nor a writer, nor interested in being one, I do NOT claim to understand the Gurbani fully.
Although I was born in a Sikh family but – according to Gurmat Wisdom of SGGS – to be a True Sikh ( or a true Muslim, Brahman etc. for that matter) is not a question of family of birth, heredity, ancestry, religion, race, social status, casteism (Jaat Paat), education, titles, robes, region, etc., it is a question of mind abiding in its Jot Saroop or Original Nature (Mool) through Shabad-Vichaar or churning the Gurbani! Hence, the word ‘Sikh‘ and ‘Khalsa’ do not represent a physical state, but a unique Way of life based on the UNIQUE Wisdom or Bibek of the SGGS!
- ਪਰਿਓ ਕਾਲੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਗ ਊਪਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਨ ਭਏ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਜਿਹ ਜਾਨੀ ॥ : The superstitious scholars write that the whole world is under superstitions and fear of death. O Kabeer! Those beings who Understood ‘Prem Bhagti‘ become ‘Khaalse‘ (‘ਖਾਲਸੇ’ ==> ‘liberated‘ from superstitions and fear of death or became ‘pure’ beings free from superstitions, Inner Purity). (sggs 655).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਉਲਟੀ ਭਈ ਭਾਈ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰੈ ਤਾ ਬੂਝ ਪਾਇ ॥ ਸੋ ਗੁਰੂ ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਜੋਤੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥: O Mind! Submitting to the ‘Satigur‘ (True Wisdom, ਸਚਾ ਗਿਆਨ), one understands (true Way of living – ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ), and then turns away (from Bikaar, demerits, falsehood etc.) and remains living dead. O Mind! Whose Conscience merges with the Universal Light (the One Creator) through Internalization of the Guru’s Shabad (Enlightenment) becomes a (real) Sikh. (sggs 602).
‘Why do you write?’
- One may ask: If this is NOT a commercial website, that is, if not for making money then ‘why do you write’? I understand that it would be foolish to say that ‘money is not important’. However, can money and should money be the only reason for doing anything?
- I love Gurbani. To read and understand it is my passion, hobby and interest. Attempting to constantly improve myself with new learning – while reading the Gurbani (SGGS) and reflecting on it – I write it down so that I can remember or refer back to it later.
- Some seekers may find all this of some value; in that spirit I share on this website (‘Shabad Langar‘). Specifically, some readers – who in their opinion think that the author needs correcting and learning – will correct me with different perspective!
What I don’t know …
What I don’t know is much greater than what I know! Hence NO guarantee or claim (ਦਾਵਾ) of accuracy or perfection of the interpretation of the Gurbani.
I have shared only what I have understood by reading the SGGS. There may be mistakes in it, I apologize.
That being said, nothing is perfect, including this!
- ਭੁਲਣ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕਰਤਾਰੁ ॥: Everyone makes mistakes; the ‘Guru Karataar‘ (i.e. Rabb…) is infallible. (sggs 61).
However, if you know how to say the Gurbani’s meaning more clearer or accurate, please enhance our understanding by sharing your thoughts in the comment section of each post.
Note on gender
Finding a pronoun for god or Creator isn’t easy. For the ease of writing and reading, this site uses ‘he’. As god or Rabb is infinite and invisible domain, calling god or Rabb He or She is just a human convention. But surely god transcends all gender. Even if I had rotated three different pronouns — he, she, and it — but that would not have gotten any nearer to the truth, and it would have made for very clumsy reading.
Also, the term ‘Man’ is to be understood in its generic sense, including both woman and man, unless the context indicates otherwise.