According to the Gurmat Giaan or Wisdom of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib ( SGGS), there is only One Amrit!
And that One Amrit is none other than the Naam (‘ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ’), Gur-Shabad (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਬਦੁ’), Shabad-Vichaar (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ’), Wisdom of the Gur-Shabad (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ’), Treasure of the Virtues (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ’), and so on.
Since the ‘ONE AMRIT’ mentioned in the Gurbani (SGGS) is ‘Niraakaaree‘, it’s NOT for the tongue or the mouth to drink.
Instead, this ‘One Amrit’ the Gurbani talks about is for the mind to drink through constant Shabad-Vichaar or churning the Gurbani.
Because, it’s the mind that needs to become a Sikh!
That said, it’s the mind that has to become Amritdhaaree (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਧਾਰੀ)!
- ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥: (Those who have found or realized their Mool within) the uniform stream of Amrit rains (within them). The mind drinks it in hearing and reflecting on the Shabad (i.e., Shabad Vichaar is the stream of Amrit). (sggs 102).
- ਪਰਿਓ ਕਾਲੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਗ ਊਪਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਜਨ ਭਏ ਖਾਲਸੇ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਜਿਹ ਜਾਨੀ ॥ : The superstitious scholars write that the whole world is under superstitions and fear of death. O Kabeer! Those beings who Understood ‘Prem Bhagti‘ become ‘Khaalse‘ (‘ਖਾਲਸੇ’ ==> ‘liberated‘ from superstitions and fear of death or became ‘pure’ beings free from superstitions, Inner Purity). (sggs 655).
The Gurbani asserts there is only One Amrit
‘Amrit‘ is a Sanskrit word that literally means ‘without death’, ‘no death’, ‘immortal’, etc.
The SGGS declares that Amrit is ONLY ONE which confers stable Spiritual Life (no death of spiritual or divine life or ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ), Cosmic Awareness, Universal Awareness, Naam Awareness, Shabad-Surti, Joti Saroop, Mool-Abidance, Gurmkh-hood, Divine Life, Divine Wisdom or Virtues, etc.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: O Nanak! O Nanak! There is only One Amrit (i.e, the Naam-Amrit for the soul to drink in); there is no other Amrit at all (sggs 1238).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਬਦੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਹਰਿ ਬਾਣੀ ॥: The Shabad is Amrit; the Hari Baanee is Amrit (sggs 119).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮੀਠਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥: The Shabad-Vichaar (Reflection on the Gur-Shabad) is the sweet Amrit (sggs 424).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਦ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਗਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਾਦੁ ਆਇਆ ॥: The Amrit Naam is always sweet; it is tasted through the Gur-Shabad (sggs 559).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨੀਰੁ ਗਿਆਨਿ ਮਨ ਮਜਨੁ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਤੀਰਥ ਸੰਗਿ ਗਹੇ ॥: The man, who bathes in the ambrosial water of the Divine knowledge takes with him the merit of bathing at the sixty-eight holies (sggs 1328).
- ਗੁਰਿ ਪੂਰੈ ਸਭੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਰਿਦ ਮਹਿ ਦੀਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ : The perfect Guru has made all perfect (i.e., purposeful life). He planted the Amrit Naam (Wisdom, Virtues…) in my Heart (i.e., Mind). (sggs 1184).
- ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਤਿਖ ਜਾਇ ॥: The Gur-Shabad (Upadesh, Wisdom, ਸਿਖਿਆ) is the Amrit; by drinking it, (Maya‘s) thirst is quenched (sggs 35).
In the same breath, the SGGS declares ‘There is no second’ (‘ਦੂਜਾ-Doojaa’).
In other words, to consider ‘second’ Amrit would be duality ‘Doojaa Bhaav‘.
The SGGS talks extensively about duality — the principle of two-ness, plurality, illusion (Maya), subject-object relationship, and so on.
This ONE AMRIT changes us from within — inside out.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਾ ਦੂਆ ਤੀਆ: (The Gurmukh who) drinks the Amrit (Naam) given by the Satguru, does not know any other second or third (sggs 1034).
- ਏਕੁ ਬਗੀਚਾ ਪੇਡ ਘਨ ਕਰਿਆ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਤਹਾ ਮਹਿ ਫਲਿਆ ॥੧॥ : (This world) is like a Garden in which there are many Trees (i.e. diverse Jeev or people). Among them (within whom) the life-giving Amrit Naam (is being watered), they bear the Fruit (of Spiritual Wisdom). ||1|| (sggs 385).
The SGGS tells us that the rain of Amrit (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਦੀ ਵਰਖਾ) is Experienced within the Dasam Duaar (mind) when one abides in his Mool, within.
- ਉਲਟਿਓ ਕਮਲੁ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰ ਗਗਨਿ ਦਸ ਦੁਆਰਿ ॥: Through the Reflection on Brahm (Mool), the heart-lotus reverses (i.e., turned away from Maya). Also, in the Sky of the Tenth Gate (mind), Amrit trickles down. (sggs 153).
Why there is ‘only One’ Amrit?
Because there is only ‘One’ Divine. ‘One’ is the fundamental principle of Sikhi. It has to be like this as there is One Rabb ( ੴ ) – no second (or ‘Doojaa‘). The Gur-Shabad never gets tired of reminding this truth to us.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚਾ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੁਹੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਹੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: O Nanak, the True Lord is the One and only (i.e. non-dual); (however) Sansaar (the place of repeated suffering) is in duality (sggs 950).
The Gurbani says that the Naam-Amrit alone is sweet, and that this is ‘the only immaculate Truth in the world‘.
- ਏਕੋੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਮੀਠਾ ਜਗਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸਚੁ ਸੋਈ ॥: The Naam-Amrit alone is sweet and that is the only immaculate Truth in the world (sggs 1259).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਿਲਿ ਪੀਵਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥: The Treasure of the Naam (Giaan, Wisdom, Virtues, Truth…) is the the Amrit. O brothers! Meet together and drink this (Amrit of Naam-Wisdom). (sggs 318).
- ਆਵਹੁ ਸਿਖ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੇ ਪਿਆਰਿਹੋ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਬਾਣੀ ਤ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰੀ ਬਾਣੀਆ ਸਿਰਿ ਬਾਣੀ ॥ ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਮੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਤਿਨਾ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥ ਪੀਵਹੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਦਾ ਰਹਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗਿ ਜਪਿਹੁ ਸਾਰਿਗਪਾਣੀ ॥ : Come, dear Sikhs (learners) of the Satguru (Giaan-Wisdom), reflect on the Bani which unites with the Creator (Sach). Just reflect on the Bani of the Guru and you will realize that this Bani is sublime of all. This Bani uttered by the Guru gets enshrined in the mind of those who make themselves eligible for divine Grace (by reflecting, understanding and emulating it). Partake in this Amrit (Bani, Naam: Wisdom / Virtues), remain imbued with divine Love – remember and live Naam in life, ਅਮਲ – and realize the Creator. (sggs 920).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਹੈ ਮੇਰੀ ਜਿੰਦੁੜੀਏ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਰਾਮ ॥ : O my mind, God’s Naam (divine Wisdom / Virtues) is Amrit which is obtained by realizing the Enlightening Message embedded in the Guru’s Shabad. (sggs 538).
However, our false ego-sense or Haumai does not and cannot recognize Unity. Because, by its very nature, the egotism or Haumai ridden mind dwells in duality (two-ness, Doojaa Bhaav, Maya). So it has to create or see duality where there is none. The Gurbani reminds us that with Haumai or egotism the duality only increases.
- ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਆਪੈ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਫੈਲੁ ॥: Afflicted by egotism, duality only increases (sggs 893).
On account of duality, the SGGS says people don’t understand what the real Amrit is.
The SGGS also reveals to us that only the Gurmukh knows the real Amrit.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਦਾ ਵਰਸਦਾ ਬੂਝਨਿ ਬੂਝਣਹਾਰ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਬੁਝਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਰਖਿਆ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰਿ ॥: Amrit rains down continually; (but only those) understand this who are capaable of understanding (ਇਸ ਭੇਤ ਨੂੰ). Those who have become the Gurmukh, understand this (ਇਸ ਭੇਤ ਨੂੰ), (they) keep the Lord’s Amrit enshrined within their Hearts (sggs 1281).
But these truths of the Gurbani should be known only to those who read the SGGS themselves and thus have some understanding of the Gurbani. Otherwise, only Manmat (ਮਨਮਤ-mind’s will or dictates) are considered as Gurmat by everyone as falsely propagated by the Pujaaree-Vaad in Sikhi!
Where is this One Amrit located?
After telling us (1) what the One Amrit is; now the SGGS tells us (2) exactly from where we all can obtain it (i.e., realize it; drink it…).
In short, we are told by the SGGS that this ONE AMRIT is within — continually raining down!
- ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਮਨੈ ਮਾਹਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ॥: O Nanak! (This Naam) Amrit is within the mind (of everybody, but it is), obtained by ‘Gur Parsaadi’ (Grace of the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom…). (sggs 1238).
Simply put: The Wisdom contained in the SGGS makes one’s mind Amritdhaaree!
In other words, according to the SGGS, it’s the mind that needs to become a Sikh (learner…).
Aptly, we are time and again reminded by the SGGS that within each of us is the well filled with the Amrit. Consider the following verses (and many more in the SGGS). They are very straightforward and self-explanatory.
- ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਦੇਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਇਸ ਕਾ ਬਿਸ੍ਰਾਮੁ ॥: The new Treasure of Amrit is the Naam. (To whom the Naam is sweet, this Amrit) lies within his inner body (‘Daehee-ਦੇਹੀ’ = ‘Daehee Gupat- ਦੇਹੀ ਗੁਪਤ’, Nirakkar, Mool…).
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਖੂਹਟਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਕਾਢਿ ਪੀਐ ਪਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥: Deep Within this body is the well overflowing with the Amrit; the Water-carrier (one engaged in Naam-Jap or understanding the Gur-Shabad) draws and drinks it through the Shabad (sggs 570).
However, this pool or well of Amrit (Naam, Wisdom, Virtues…) that is located within is surrounded by pools of Poison (i.e., Bikaar: lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, jealousy, falsehood, stubborn mindedness, etc.). The Wisdom of the SGGS helps our mind connect with this pool of Amrit within.
- ਆਸਿ ਪਾਸਿ ਬਿਖੂਆ ਕੇ ਕੁੰਟਾ ਬੀਚਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: O brother! All around are pools of poison (lust, anger, greed, etc., but there is also a pool) of Amrit within (i.e., Naam, Wisdom, Virtues…). (sggs 385).
How can this One Amrit be prepared
After telling us (1) what the One Amrit is and (2) exactly from where we all can obtain it; now the SGGS tells us (3) how can this Amrit be Prepared?
As flowers of the Mahooaa tree is used to produce molasses to ferment the wine, similarly, the SGGS urges us to produce the Molasses of Giaan (Wisdom) from the tree of Dhiaan of the Gur-Shabad (Upadesh, Naam, Giaan, Wisdom…):
- ਗੁੜੁ ਕਰਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਧਾਵੈ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਸੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ਭਾਠੀ ਭਵਨੁ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਕਾ ਪੋਚਾ ਇਤੁ ਰਸਿ ਅਮਿਉ ਚੁਆਈਐ ॥੧॥: Make Giaan (Wisdom) your Molasses, and meditation (Consciousness or Surat attuned to the Naam) your flowers (of Mahooaa or Basia-latifolia tree, which are used to ferment wine); let high conduct (good deeds, practice, etc.) be the fermenting bark. Make this body the furnace (used to make wine – ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਕੱਢਣ ਦੀ ਭੱਠੀ), and your love (Prema-Bhagti) the plaster (ਠੰਡਾ ਪੋਚਾ ਜੋ ਅਰਕ ਵਾਲੀ ਨਾਲੀ ਉਤੇ ਫੇਰਨਾ ਹੈ). In this way the Amrit (which bestows Eternal Life-ਅਟੱਲ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੇਣ ਵਾਲਾ) is distilled. ||1|| (sggs 360).
The SGGS consistently tells us as to what the Amrit is, but the SGGS also remind us that it is located within the body, here and now.
Since the Naam or Shabad is said to be located within, the Amrit also has to be located within as well. Because the Naam or Shabad is the Amrit, and the Amrit is the Naam or Shabad or Bani!
- ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਮਿਲਿ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ ॥੭॥: Within is the Treasure of the Shabad; (but) it is obtained by eradicating self-conceit (ਪਰੰਤੂ ਆਪਾ-ਭਾਵ ਤਿਆਗ ਕੇ ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ) ||7|| (sggs 228).
Qualifying for this One Amrit
After telling us (1) what the One Amrit is; (2) exactly from where we all can obtain it; (3) how this Amrit can be Prepared; now the SGGS tells us (4) how anybody can qualify to quaff it — by becoming the Gurmukh.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵਰਸੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਕੋਈ ਜਨੁ ਪਾਏ ॥: When one is established in Sahaj (Sahaj-Avasthaa, natural state of being, ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ..), the Amrit rains down (within him). How rare are those who by becoming the Gurmukhs obtain it (sggs 119).
In nutshell a Gurmukh, liberated while still alive, lives his daily life in accordance with the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom, NOT according to the dishonest and corrupt Pujaaree system or the Pujaaree groups.
The more one gets established in his True Nature (Jot Saroop), the more one drinks in the Amrit (the Gurmukh Lifestyle), within. This is the Gurbani’s edict:
- ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਸਾਹਬੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੇਉ ॥: By becoming the Gurmukh, the more the “Sahib” (Mool, source, Jot, True Nature…) abides within (my) mind, the more (I) drink in the Amrit (sggs 20).
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਤੇਰੀ ॥: O Divine! Your Bani (Giaan or Wisdom) is Amrit (sggs 103).
In nutshell, the Amrit can be tasted or realized only by turning within. It is to die in the Shabad.
To the contrary, if we keep entertaining Manmukh lifestyle (opposite of the Gurmukh Lifestyle), our condition will be that of a deer who is known for searching musk (Kastooree) in the bushes instead of within. In reality, the musk is stored within the deer’s body, but due to ignorance, the deer keeps searching it outside in the bushes!
Similarly, even though the Amrit dwells within our body, we keep searching it in the gross objects of the outer world!
- ਘਰ ਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਭਰਪੂਰੁ ਹੈ ਮਨਮੁਖਾ ਸਾਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਜਿਉ ਕਸਤੂਰੀ ਮਿਰਗੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਭ੍ਰਮਦਾ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਇਆ ॥: As the body-house (the Soul, Heart, etc.) is brimful with the Amrit (Naam), still, because of the deluded mind, the self-willed Manmukh (perverse, one in material consciousness, etc.) does not recognize or experience it. (He is) like the deer, who does not recognize its own musk-scent (that is located within its own body); (but to find the musk-scent) it wanders around, deluded by doubt (sggs 644).
Hence, according to the SGGS, the process needs to begin from the interior — inside out.
In other words, external Karamkaand (rituals, dogmas, pilgrimages and ablutions, Akhand Paath, etc.) will not do the trick. In nutshell, according to the SGGS:
To become Wise (ਗਿਆਨਵਾਨ) is drinking or Taking Amrit (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਛਕਿ’)!
After telling us (1) what the One Amrit is; (2) exactly from where we all can obtain it; (3) how this Amrit can be Prepared; now the SGGS tells us (4) how anybody can qualify to quaff it; now the SGGS tells us (5) exactly what is drinking of Amrit in Baabaa Nanak’s Sikhi (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਛਕਿ’).
We sing /listen /read the following first thing in the morning, everyday (Aasaa Dee Vaar) that the mind which is agreeable or pleased with the GIAAN of the SGGS continually drinks the Amrit:
- ਗੁਰ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਭਿੰਨੀ ਦੇਹੁਰੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਬੁਰਕੇ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਜੇ ॥ ਜਿਨਾ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਈਆ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਛਕਿ ਛਕੇ ॥: A Guru oriented person (ਗੁਰੂ ਵਾਲਾ) is drenched with Amrit (i.e. Naam, Wisdom, Virtues – he has Internalized the Message of the Shabad), which he imparts to others. Those human beings who find the Gurbani agreeable to their mind (i.e. Who have BECOME THE GURBANI and live accordingly), their minds continually drink this Amrit – they continually live daily life by Naam, Wisdom, Virtues. (sggs 449).
In short, taking or drinking Amrit (‘ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਛਕਿ’) is to become Wise (ਗਿਆਨਵਾਨ) by taking the Gurbani’s Wisdom (the Gurmukh Lifestyle).
Important thing is: This Giaan-Amrit (Wisdom Amrit) (1) has to enter within and (2) it must be thoroughly digested (ਹਾਜਮ / ਪਚਾ ਲੈਣਾਂ), and live it in daily life. Because, the Wisdom of the Gurbani is meant to be understood and applied.
- ਥਾਲ ਵਿਚਿ ਤਿੰਨਿ ਵਸਤੂ ਪਈਓ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੋ ॥ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਕਾ ਪਇਓ ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਭਸੁ ਅਧਾਰੋ ॥ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਖਾਵੈ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਭੁੰਚੈ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਹੋਇ ਉਧਾਰੋ ॥: In the human (Conscience), three things remain — the truth, Contentment and thoughtful Reflection or Insight (into spiritual Life); in which has manifested the Amrit Naam (Giaan-Wisdom, Virtues…), the support of all. The benefit (Laahaa) is to he who consumes (‘ਖਾਵੈ-Khaavia), and he who digests it (‘ਭੁੰਚੈ Bhunchai‘. (sggs 1429).
In short, according to the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS):
To Drink Amrit = to engage in Shabad Vichaar and live the daily life in accordance with the Gur-Giaan or Wisdom of the SGGS!
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪੀਵਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਬਦੁ ਵੀਚਾਰਿ ॥੧॥: O Nanak! (However, those who have) become the Gurmukh drink the Amrit by reflecting on the Shabad (i.e., Shabad-Vichaar). (sggs 646).
Amrit Velaa (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ )
The anti-Sikhi Pujaaree-Vaad has created tremendous confusion about the ‘Amrit Velaa‘ (ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ) because of their not accepting the Sikhi of the Baabaa Nanak or Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS.
According to the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS, ‘Amrit Velaa’ is NOT referred to a particular or certain time of the day or night!
In fact, according to the SGGS, every moment of our daily life becomes ‘Amrit Velaa’ when our mind is engaged in drinking the Giaan-Amrit through constant Shabad-Vichaar or churning the Gurbani.
- ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥ : (The spiritual objective is to make my) life Amrit (by being imbued with the Naam or Shabad) and contemplating glorious Virtues of the One Creator. (sggs 2).
The Satiguru is the Giver of the Amrit-Naam or Amrit-Giaan (Wisdom). Hence, the Satiguru is said to be the SROVAR (‘ਸਰੁ-Saru’, pond…) of the Amrit.
It’s the filthy mind that needs to bathe in this Srovar of the GIAAN or Wisdom.
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਹੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਮਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਮੈਲੁ ਚੁਕਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: The Satiuru is the True pool of Amrit, bathing in it, the mind is washed clean of its filth (i.e., Bikaar-internal negatives…). ||1||Pause|| (sggs 113).
- ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥ ਗੁਰੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਜਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ ॥੫॥: (Guru’s) Bani is the Guru (of Sikhs i.e. Shabad-Guru or Wisdom or Giaan-Guru) and the Guru is present (as Giaan or Wisdom) in the Bani. The Amrit (of the Guru’s Giaan or Wisdom…) is contained in the whole of Bani. What the Guru says (i.e., the guidance we get through the Guru’s Wisdom) we should apply in our daily life, then the Guru’s Jot or Wisdom will stay inside us and certainly liberate us (i.e., we will become embodiment of Wisdom…). (sggs 982).
- ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਜਨਮੇ ਗਵਨੁ ਮਿਟਾਇਆ ॥ : Being born into the Spirituality on account of the Satgur ends the cycle of spiritual death (‘Gavan’). (sggs 939).
- ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਪਾਨ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ॥: Drink in the Amrit Naam (Wisdom, Virtues, Truth…) in the Company of the Guru (Gur-Giaan, Bibek, Wisdom…). (sggs 299).
Freedom to chose between poison and Amrit
The Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS tells us that ‘Kartaar’ (Universal Creative Energy, Rabb, Hukam…) has attached two fruits to this world-tree — poision (Bikh-Maya…) and Amrit (-Naam: wisdom…).
- ਬਿਖੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਕਰਤਾਰਿ ਉਪਾਏ ॥ ਸੰਸਾਰ ਬਿਰਖ ਕਉ ਦੁਇ ਫਲ ਲਾਏ ॥: Poison (-Maya, which brings spiritual death) and Amrit (-Naam, which gives spiritual life) are created by the Kartaar. These two fruits have been attached to the world-tree. (sggs 1172).
Hence, both poision and Amrit are within all of us.
For example, if one has demerits within, he also has Virtues within. If one has Bikaar within (i.e., lust anger, greed, etc.), he also has good impressions or influences within. If one has baser desires or cravings within, he also has qualities like contentment (ਸੰਤੋਖ), Truth (ਸਤ), honesty (ਇਮਾਨਦਾਰੀ), mercy (ਦਯਾ), patience (ਧੀਰਜ), Sahaj (ਸਹਜ-Natural State of Being), Wisdom (ਗਿਆਨ), humility (ਮਨ ਨਿਮਾਣਾ, ਬੁਧਿ ਗਰੀਬੀ), sweet speech (ਮਿਠ ਬੋਲੜਾ), and so on.
As a matter of fact, poison will kill the spiritual or divine life (ਮਨੁਖਾ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਬਰਬਾਦੀ); and it will destroy family, society, country, and the world.
- ਜਾਤੀ ਦੈ ਕਿਆ ਹਥਿ ਸਚੁ ਪਰਖੀਐ ॥ ਮਹੁਰਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਹਥਿ ਮਰੀਐ ਚਖੀਐ ॥: What merits is in the caste? It is the Truth that is to be assayed. (href=”https://www.gurbani.org/gurblog/pride-of-worldly-possessions-rots-the-mind/”>Pride in one’s caste) is like poison – if he eats poison then he will die. (sggs 142).
On the other hand, Amrit bestows upon us the Gurmukh or divine Lifestyle, Aatmak Jeevan (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ), stable life, virtuous and truthful life, and so on.
Choice is ours! We are given the freedom to chose.
It’s up to us if we want to accept, approve or practice poison (ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ) or Amrit (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ) in life!
Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS wants our entire life to become Amrit (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ, Gurmukh or divine Lifestyle)!
- ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਆ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਤਤੁ ਵਖਾਨੈ ॥: By walking on the Gurmat (Wisdom of the SGGS, whose mind becomes pure, he utters the Amrit Naam. (sggs 1334).
Thank you GK for your reply, and welcome to the Gurbani Blog!
The Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) speaks for itself.
Also, the SGGS speaks at the level of the mind.
Furthermore, the SGGS speaks the truth, and speaks with utmost clarity.
It is what it is — practical spirituality with Universal Message, free of Karamkaand and dogmas!
But these truths of the Gurbani should be known only to those who read the SGGS themselves and thus have some understanding of the Gurbani. Otherwise, only Manmat (ਮਨਮਤ-mind’s will or dictates) are considered as Gurmat by everyone!
Your question indicates either you did not read the post carefully, or you did not read it with an open mind, or because of some pre-concieved ideas you are having difficult time accepting the Gurmat Wisdom of the SGGS.
To find and understand the Gurbani’s answer to your question, here are my suggestions to you: (1) Please re-read the post carefully and with open mind, (2) if doubts still linger in your mind, then start reading the SGGS yourself with understanding, and with open mind.
Also read related post “Gurbani Says Well Filled With Amrit Is Within Your Body“
So you are stating Khandey Ki Pahul is not necessary?
Veer Ji, I believe you have already been answered in a reply to your comment in a different post.
Posts and the Gurbani (SGGS) are abundantly clear. The only difficulty seem to be, is when viewed with a preconditioned mind.
As noted on our ‘About’ page, the focus of this website is to understand the Gurbani through the Gurbani (SGGS).
Accordingly, here at this website, we made a conscious decision decades ago not to discuss history, politics, or any theme NOT SUPPORTED by the SGGS.
Hence, the focus of this website has been and still is to Reflect (Vichaar) on themes mentioned in the SGGS ONLY! for example:
The SGGS is says: ਨਾਨਕ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥ (sggs 1238).
The SGGS also says: ਅੰਤਰਿ ਖੂਹਟਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਭਰਿਆ ਸਬਦੇ ਕਾਢਿ ਪੀਐ ਪਨਿਹਾਰੀ ॥ (sggs 570).
Therefore, if you are looking for a discussion or information on a topic which is not in the SGGS, the please search that information elsewhere. Not here, sorry.
My suggestion is to unburden yourself of preconceived ideas and replace it with the Wisdom (Giaan, Bibek) of the Gurbani.
For that, if interested, you need to (1) read the SGGS yourself (NOT by rented or hired Pujaaree), (2) try understand what you read, (3) and then apply that understanding or Wisdom to your daily life.
Comments are closed.