CRUCIFIXION OF FALSE EGOSalok M: 1. In ego (man) comes, and in ego (man) goes. In ego (man) is born, and in ego (man) dies.
In ego (man) gives, and in ego (man) takes. In ego (man) earns, and in ego (man) loses...
In ego (man) loves Maya, and in ego (man) is kept in ignorance by it. Living in ego,
(man) is born again and again. When (man) understands ego, then (man) knows God's Gate.
Without spiritual wisdom, (man) babbles and argues ||1|| (sggs 466). <><><><>
There are two kinds of ego: Pure ego and false ego. The Pure ego is the Spirit Soul — the Unconditioned Consciousness (Mool, Source, Jot...), which is our Essential Nature as Joti-Svaroopa.
On the contrary, the false ego grows out of man's identification with the body (senses), mind (emotions) and intellect or Budhi (thoughts), which has the potential of being perverted by intellect waves, mental vibrations, and sense impressions. This raw and eccentric ego with its egocentric desires and egoistic memories destroy man by denying him peace. It separates people from people, religions from religions, countries from countries and the Jeeva (individual being) from Realization of the Mool within (Source, Origin, Jot...).
Thus, false ego is said to be the real cause of sorrow. It gives rise to bondage of material desires — desire for body attachment, name, fame, selfishness, greed, and so on. It creates divisions within, duality, confusion, thought disturbance, separation, limitations, doubts, and fears of all sorts including the fear of death. It is the conditioned "I" or "I am the body" idea which hides reality and functions at all moments of the waking and dreaming states of our consciousness. Accordingly, the Gurbani calls it "deadly", "chronic", "terrible" or "great" disease.
- ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਵਡਾ ਸੰਸਾਰਿ ॥: Ego is a massive disease in the world (sggs 1278).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗ ਬੁਰੇ ॥: O Nanak! The diseases (born or begotten) of ego are wicked (sggs 1153).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਵਡਾ ਰੋਗੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਇ ਦੂਜੈ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਇ ॥: Haumai vadaa rog hai bhaai doojai karam kamaai: (sggs 589).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਜੀਉ ਬੰਧੁ ਹੈ ॥: Haumai vichi jeeyu bandh hai: In egoism, the soul is in bondage (sggs 560).
- ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਹੈ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਭੂਲੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਦੁਰਜਨਾ ॥: Man antar haumai rog hai bharam bhoole manmukh durjanaa: Those within whose mind is the disease of ego (Haumai - ਹਉਮੈ), those self-willed (Manmukhs), the evil beings (ਬਿਕਾਰੀ ਬੰਦੇ - corrupt people), are deluded by doubt (sggs 301).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਭੁ ਜਗ ਬਉਰਾਨਾ ॥ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਨਾ ॥: Haumai vich sabh jagg bauraanaa. Doojai bhaai bharamai bhulaanaa: The entire world has gone insane in egoism. In the love of duality, it wanders deluded by doubt (sggs 159).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਬੰਧਨ ਬੰਧਿ ਭਵਾਵੈ ॥: Houmai bandhan bandh bhavaavai: Egoism binds people in bondage, and causes them to wander around lost (sggs 227).
- ਹਉ ਹਉ ਭੀਤਿ ਭਇਓ ਹੈ ਬੀਚੋ ..: Hayu hayu bheet bhaio hai beecho ..: The wall of egoism and pride separates us..(sggs 624).
- ਹਉ ਮੁਆ ਮੈ ਮਾਰਿਆ ਪਉਣੁ ਵਹੈ ਦਰੀਆਉੁ ॥: So long Jeev is smitten with "Ego", a river (of desires, Trishanaa) flows within (that Jeev). (sggs 1091).
- ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੀ ॥: Ih mann nirmal hayumai maaree: The mind becomes pure when ego is killed (sggs 1049).
The seed of the mind is the false ego-sense. Hence there are two kinds of minds too: Pure mind (Shudha or Saatvic Manas) and impure mind or contending mind (Mayaic mind, Ashudha Manas). Impure mind is also called desire-mind, instinctive mind, active or ego-mind. Similarly, there are also two kinds of intellect (Budhi) — mundane intellect and Pure intellect. Consequently, thoughts or tendencies are also two kinds: thoughts of Waheguru (God) and thoughts of body and the worldliness. Finally, the physical senses are two kinds as well: Pure senses and defiled senses. The implication is that purity will lead one towards Pure efforts in this present life (goodness — liberation), and the impurity will invite Maaic efforts, Kaarmic debt and indolence (passion and ignorance — trouble). In essence, the words such as false ego, impure mind, instinctive mind, lower mind, lower consciousness, impure intellect, "I" thought, false identity, etc., are one and the same. Similarly Pure ego, Pure mind, Higher mind, Higher Consciousness, Pure intellect, true "I", annihilated mind, Spiritual ego, mind of Light (Jot, Mool...), true identity, and so on, are essentially synonymous.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨ ਹੀ ਤੇ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਨਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥: Nanak man hee te man maaniya na kish marai na jaayi: O Nanak, through the (Higher) mind, the (lower) mind is satisfied, and then, nothing comes or goes (sggs 514).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਗਇਆ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਥਾ ਆਪੁ ਆਪੈ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਖਾਧਾ ॥: Houmai rog gaiaa dukh laathaa aap aapai gurmati khaadhaa: Through the Gurmat (Guru's Teaching), the sickness of my ego has been dispelled, and my pain (of ਹਉਮੈ or egotism) is over and done; the knowledge (Giaan) of my (True) Identity has consumed my identical identity(false identity, ਆਪਾ-ਭਾਵ) (sggs 78).
- ਸਾ ਮਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਧੀਰ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਰਸਾਇਣੁ ਪੀਵਤ ਬੀਰ ॥: Saa mati niramal kaheeat dheer. Raam rasaain peevat beer: Pure and steady is that intellect, which is attuned to the sublime Divine Essence (sggs 198).
- ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ਕਰਹਿ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੀਆ ਵਿਆਪਿਆ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਤਿ ॥: Ahankaar karahi ahankaareeaa viaapiaa mann kee mati: The egotistical men are engrossed in false ego, ensnared by the intellect of their ego-mind (sggs 42).
When fully established in Pure mind (egolessness or desirelessness, Mool...), one's body-mind-intellect apparatus is filled with purity or goodness (Saatav), where there is no feeling of two-ness (duality or Doojaa Bhaav). The Saatvic mind of such person likes truthful living, righteousness, quietude, peace, contentment, simplicity, higher thinking and knowledge, compassion, mercy, sympathy, solitude, Spiritual company, study of Spiritual books, the Divine discussions, meditation, sweet speech, inner inquiry, selfless service (Sevaa) and love, noble virtues and lofty ideals, noble aspirations, devotion, inspiration, and so on. Such Pure mind is God itself; for egolessness or desirelessness is the state of Godhood.
- ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਸੋ ਹਰਿ ਜੇਹਾ ॥ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਦੇਹਾ ॥: Hari kaa saevaku so hari jaehaa: God's servant becomes like God. Do not think that, because of his human body, he is different (sggs 1076).
But the mind constantly swings between the Changeless Reality and illusion (ignorance, inertness, Maya, wrong identity, delusion, false ego, etc.). When the mind contemplates the inert objects for sometime, it assumes their characteristic of inertness; giving rise to differentiation. This mental division is called false ego, and it occurs when the Pure Consciousness becomes the object of the mind. Hence false ego is the reflected consciousness or the sensualization of the Pure Consciousness (Soul Nature). It's the pseudosoul — agent or shadow of the Spirit Soul — which gives rise to the mirage-like world-appearance and makes man conscious of his body, will, thoughts, feelings, experiences, perceptions, conceptions and his surroundings. It's the identifying of the subjective Soul (Pure Consciousness, Mool...) with the sense-bound consciousness of the body. It lives in things and for names and forms. It's the sense of doership, enjoyership and separateness. It clouds our understanding.
- ਮਨ ਕਾ ਸੂਤਕੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ॥: Mann kaa sootak doojaa bhaau: The pollution of the mind is the love of duality (sggs 229).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਸਰੀਰੁ ਹੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਓਪਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥: Haumai sabh sareer hai hayumai opati hoi: Ego is within all the bodies; and through ego the beings are born (sggs 560).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਮੋਹੁ ਉਪਜੈ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥: Haumai moh upjai sansaraa: Out of egotistic attachment, the Universe is born (sggs 1057).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਭਰਮੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: Haumai meraa bharmai sansaar: In egotism and self-conceit, the world wanders in delusion (sggs 841).
- ਮਿਲਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਗਵਾਈ ॥: Mil Maya surti gavaayee: By associating with the Maya (illusion), the mortal loses Divine Understanding (sggs 989).
- ਚੰਚਲ ਚਪਲ ਬੁਧਿ ਕਾ ਖੇਲੁ ॥: Chanchal chapal budh kaa khel: Body is the play-thing of fickle and unsteady intellect (sggs 152).
- ਹਮ ਮੂਰਖ ਮੂਰਖ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ॥ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਭ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥: Ham moorakh moorakh mann maahi. Haumai vichi sabh kaar kamaahi: We are ignorant; ignorance fills our minds. We do all our deeds in ego (sggs 666).
- ਮਨ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਹੈ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਭੂਲੇ ਮਨਮੁਖ ਦੁਰਜਨਾ ॥: Mann antari haumai rog hai bharami bhoole manmukh durajanaa: The evil Manmukhs, deluded by doubt wander lost; (because) the disease of egotism is deep within the mind; (sggs 1317).
- ਜਬ ਹਮ ਹੋਤੇ ਤਬ ਤੁਮ ਨਾਹੀ ਅਬ ਤੁਮ ਹਹੁ ਹਮ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਅਬ ਹਮ ਤੁਮ ਏਕ ਭਏ ਹਹਿ ਏਕੈ ਦੇਖਤ ਮਨੁ ਪਤੀਆਹੀ ॥੧॥: Jab ham hote tab tum naahee ab tum hahu ham naahee. Ab ham tum ek bhaye hahi ekai dekhat man pateeaahee ||1||: (O Lord) So long we are in Haume (ਹਉਮੈ - false ego-sense), until then You are not (awakened within - ਤਦ ਤਕ ਤੂੰ ਸਾਡੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਪਰਗਟ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੁੰਦਾ / ਆਪਣਾ ਚਾਨਣ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ); now that You are (awakened within), we are not in Haume (ਹਉਮੈ). Now that You and we have become one; seeing this, our minds have faith (that You and we are one and the same - ਕਿ ਤੂੰ ਹੀ ਤੂੰ ਹੈਂ, ਤੈਥੋਂ ਵੱਖਰੇ ਅਸੀ ਕੁਝ ਭੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਹਾਂ). ||1|| (sggs 339).
Consider the following examples. The Mool is like the Ocean. As waves are the disturbance on the surface of the ocean, similarly, false ego and related thoughts, names and forms are the disturbance on the surface of the Ocean of Pure Consciousness. That is to say, giving rise to an "I" or any thought (mind-ego), is giving rise to a wave in the Ocean of the Infinite Self. But the Mool remains unchanged. When waves rise or fall in the ocean water, the ocean neither lose nor gain anything. Water remains water. Similarly, when the false ego rises and falls, the Mool loses or gains nothing; for the "I-ness" rising from the effort of the false ego is not the Real "I" or the Changeless Self. Because the Changeless Reality knows that everything is my reflection or projection.
- ਏਕ ਅਨੇਕ ਬਿਆਪਕ ਪੂਰਕ ਜਤ ਦੇਖਉ ਤਤ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਮੋਹਿਤ ਬਿਰਲਾ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਸੂਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਣਿ ਸਤ ਸਹੰਸ ਜੈਸੇ ਓਤਿ ਪੋਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਫੇਨ ਬੁਦਬੁਦਾ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਭਿੰਨ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕੀ ਲੀਲਾ ਬਿਚਰਤ ਆਨ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਭਰਮੁ ਅਰੁ ਸੁਪਨ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਸਤਿ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਮਨਸਾ ਗੁਰ ਉਪਦੇਸੀ ਜਾਗਤ ਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੩॥ ਕਹਤ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਕੇਵਲ ਏਕ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ ॥੪॥੧॥: Ek anek biaapak poorak jatt dekho tatt soee... (sggs 485).
- ਸਾਗਰ ਮਹਿ ਬੂੰਦ ਬੂੰਦ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਬੁਝੈ ਬਿਧਿ ਜਾਣੈ ॥: Saagar mahi boond boond mahi saagar kavan bujhai bidhi jaanai: The drop is in the ocean, and the ocean is in the drop. Who understands, and knows this? (sggs 878).
In the dark, a rope laying on the ground may be mistaken for a snake. We know that the rope alone is real, not the snake. However, the non apprehension of the rope gives rise to the misapprehension of the snake. Once the darkness is removed, the rope alone remains; its misapprehension as a snake disappears. Similarly, the non-apprehension of the Reality gives us the misapprehension that we (Spirit Soul) are limited, unhappy, sorrowful, and miserable individuals. In short, the notion that the Mool is the body and mind stuff (which it's not) is what is called false ego or mind-ego. To say it in other way, the "false ego" is external personality, individual identity or sense of "I, me, mine, your". Other related terms such as "egoism" and "egoity" essentially means self-interest, selfishness or self-centeredness; and being "egocentric" means placing one's "I-ness" in the center of everything and all experiences.
- ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਬਾਣਿ ਬਜਰ ਕਲ ਛੇਦੀ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਆ ਪਦੁ ਪਰਗਾਸਾ ॥ ਸਕਤਿ ਅਧੇਰ ਜੇਵੜੀ ਭ੍ਰਮੁ ਚੂਕਾ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਸਿਵ ਘਰਿ ਬਾਸਾ ॥੨॥: Gur kai baani bajar kal chhedee pragatiaa padu paragasaa. Sakti adher jevarhee bhramu chookaa nihchalu siv ghari vaasaa ||2||: (One who) Has pierced the hard imagery (mind's imaginations, wanderings, perversions, ਫੁਰਨੇ, ਮਨੋ-ਕਲਪਣਾ, ਬਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਵਲ ਦੀ ਦੌੜ, etc.) with the Guru's Arrow (of the Gur-Shabad, Gur-Giaan...), (in him, the state of) Enlightenment dawns (the Light of the Aatm-Giaan, ਆਤਮਕ ਚਾਨਣ). (As in the darkness) a rope is mistaken (for a snake, but when there is light that error is realized, similarly) in the darkness of Maya (in Maya's influence or Mayaic consciousness, one mistakes and confinds this body to be the Real self, Joti-Svaroopa) but that mistake ends (when there is the Light of the Gur-Giaan, Aatm-Giaan, etc., and consequently, one), abides in the Eternal Home of the Lord. ||2|| (sggs 332).
Thus, the false ego reinforces subject-object relationship. It's nothing but thought-mind-world-name-form-senses-illusion. When the Spirit Soul due to self-forgetfulness views itself as the object of perception, false concepts arise, where the time and space seem real. In such fevered state of time-bound consciousness, we find ourselves worried about the past and concerned about the future. These two intermingle and limit our mind to behave in Raajsic and Taamasic nature, the forces of despair and darkness. These forces become the fertile ground for the ego to flourish and expand. Called worst disease and the dreadful enemy of wisdom, the false ego generates endless passions, desires, fears, sinful actions, tendencies, conditionings and limitations. It destroys man's health and his discriminating faculty (Bibek Budhi ). In fact, man's all sufferings evolve around it.
- ਵਿਚਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਰਮ ਕਮਾਵਦੇ ਜਿਉ ਵੇਸੁਆ ਪੁਤੁ ਨਿਨਾਉ ॥: Vichi haumai karam kamaavde jiou vesuaa put ninaaou: Those who do their deeds in ego (remain Fatherless or Godless. They) are like the prostitute’s son, who (cannot tell) the name (of his biological father) (sggs 82).
- ਕਾਇਆ ਕੁਸੁਧ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਈ ॥: Kaaiaa kasudh haumai mall laaee: That body which is stained with the filth of egotism is false and impure (sggs 1045).
- ਹਉ ਹਉ ਕਰਤ ਬਧੇ ਬਿਕਾਰ ॥: Hau hau karat badhe bikaar: Acting in egotism and self-conceit, man's corruption only increases (sggs 1192).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਜਲਿਆ ਮਨਹੁ ਵਿਸਾਰੇ ॥: Haumai jaliaa mano vissare: Burnt by egotism, one forgets the Lord from his mind (sggs 993).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਸਦ ਜਲੈ ਸਰੀਰਾ ॥: Haumai vichi sada jalai sareeraa: In egotism, the body is forever burning (sggs 1068).
Mool (Source, Origin, Jot...), when the psychological construction of false ego-sense in man transfers the attributes and the limitations of the body-mind-intellect individuality and imposed them on the Mool, it exhibits the following faults: Kaam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (emotional attachment to delusion), Mada or Ahankaar (pride), Matsarya (envy), and Mann Hath (stubborn mindedness). These faults of the false ego have numerous variations such as selfishness, crookedness, corruption, foolishness, and so on. Since the ego-mind identifies with the physical consciousness, it has no clue of the subtle Mool, which is totally distinct from the body-mind-intellect personality. Such ego-mind likes the path of sense gratification, the path of worldliness and the path of gratification of the ego. Further, it likes pleasures in the world of "I-ness", passions, desires, selfish work, corruption, big crowds, unnatural foods and drinks, arguments, nonsense talks, material life, low thinking, wickedness, falsehood, fraud, hatred, abuse, promiscuity, meanness, avarice, cruelty, ill will, unkindness, destructive instinct, impulsiveness, deception, violence, quarrels, bigotry, intolerance, unforgiveness, fanaticism, praise, flattery, honor, titles, acquisition, rejection, self-centeredness, and so on.
- ਕਾਮਿ ਕ੍ਰੋਧਿ ਡੂਬੇ ਅਭਿਮਾਨੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਲਿ ਜਾਈ ...: Kaami krodhi doobe abhimaanee haumai vichi jali jaaee ...: In lust and anger, the proud ones are drowned. They are burnt in their egotism. They do not attain perfection or understanding; their intellect is dimmed. Tossed by the waves of greed, they suffer in pain (sggs 1265).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਬਿਖਿਆ ਨਿਤ ਲੋਭਿ ਲੁਭਾਨੇ ਪੁਤ ਕਲਤ ਮੋਹਿ ਲੁਭਿਭਾ ॥: Haumai bikhiaa nit lobhi lubhaane put kalat mohi lubhibhaa: In egotism, people are continually lured by corruption, greed, emotional attachment to their children and spouse (sggs 1337).
- ਮਿਥਿਆ ਮੋਹ ਬੰਧਹਿ ਨਿਤ ਪਾਰਚ ॥: Mithiaa moh bandhahi nit paarach: Man is constantly entangled in false attachments and conflicts (sggs 743).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਮਮਤਾ ਮੋਹਣੀ ਸਭ ਮੁਠੀ ਅਹੰਕਾਰਿ ॥: Haumai mamataa mohnee sabh muthee ahankaar: Egotism and possessiveness are very enticing; egotistical pride has plundered everyone (sggs 19).
- ਅਤਿ ਡਾਹਪਣਿ ਦੁਖੁ ਘਣੋ ਤੀਨੇ ਥਾਵ ਭਰੀਡੁ ॥: Ati daahapani dukh ghano teene thaav bhareed: Jealousy and envy bring terrible pain, and one is cursed throughout the three worlds (sggs 1091).
- ਮਨਹਠਿ ਕੀਚੈ ਅੰਤਿ ਵਿਗੋਵੈ ॥: Mann hathi keechai anti vigovai: One who acts in stubborn-mindedness is ruined in the end (sggs 356).
The edict of the Gurbani is: the false ego must be crucified. Because, Shabad-Vichaar, meditation, Jap, Naam Simran , or Aatam-Vichaar is possible only with the Pure, alert, calm and one-pointed mind. The lower ego-mind is absolutely unfit for Spiritual Wisdom and contemplation. The ordinary man (Manmukh or unenlightened being) is guided by his egoism. When the mirror of the mind is covered with the "dirt" of falsehood, we cannot see the real Mool clearly. Thus, the false ego (or instinctive mind) is of the opposite of the Mool. The only reason religions, scriptures and the Masters exists is this phantom called mind-ego. Crucifixion of ego means elimination of duality: making two egos into one or making two minds into one — Pure ego or Pure mind only. To put it otherwise, it's watching the lower or instinctive mind linking with the Mool within (Source, Origin, Jot...).
- ਕਾਇਆ ਕੁਸੁਧ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਲੁ ਲਾਈ ॥: Kaaiaa kasudh haumai malu laaee: That body which is stained with the filth of egotism is false and impure (sggs 1045).
- ਮਾਰਗੁ ਮੁਕਤਾ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥: Maaragu muktaa houmai maar: The path of liberation is found by killing ego (sggs 1274).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਧੰਧੁ ਛੋਡਹੁ ਲੰਪਟਾਈ ॥: Houmai dhandh shoddahu lanpattaaee: Abandon your involvement in egotistical affairs and conflicts (sggs 1026).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥: Nanak houmai maari milaaiaa: O Nanak, conquering egoism, we are absorbed into the Divine (sggs 153).
The intent of all Spiritual paths is to provide guidance by which the Purity of the ego (or mind) can be established outwardly as well as inwardly. Pure and impure ego (Pure and impure mind) of an individual is expressed in the quantity and nature of his actions and desires, which in turn, advertise the degree of one's ignorance or inner Purity. The attempt and purpose of Spiritual paths (or religions) is to reprogram our subconscious and develop the Pure part of the ego by eradicating the impure part (lower consciousness), thereby leading us out of the morass of the darkness of the instinctive mind into the mind of Light.
The Gurbani reminds us that, as one thorn removes another thorn, the Pure mind (Higher mind or Consciousness) of a person who makes self-effort in the Spiritual path should be able to destroy or mold the false ego (lower mind or consciousness) through the constant Shabad-Vichaa. When we have learnt to renounce our emotional attachment to any action, thought and object, and yet work on in perfect detachment, the false ego comes to rediscover itself to be none other than the Mool. Then only we come to the crucifixion of the false ego. Thereafter, the psychological ego comes to abide in its Mool. Once the purification is over, the natural tendency of the mind is to move up, towards the liberation from bondage caused by ego's relativism and myopia.
- ਹਉਮੈ ਦੀਰਘ ਰੋਗੁ ਹੈ ਦਾਰੂ ਭੀ ਇਸੁ ਮਾਹਿ ॥: Houmai deeragh rogu hai daaroo bhee isu maahi: Ego is a chronic disease, but it contains its own cure as well (sggs 466).
- ਮਨ ਮਹਿ ਮਨੁ ਉਲਟੋ ਮਰੈ ਜੇ ਗੁਣ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਨਾਲਿ ॥: Man mahi man ulto marai je gun hovahi naal: The (lower) mind turns inward, and merges with the (Higher) mind, when it is with virtue (sggs 935).
- ਚੇਤਿ ਸੁਚੇਤ ਚਿਤ ਹੋਇ ਰਹੁ ਤਉ ਲੈ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ਉਜਾਰਾ ॥: Chet suchet chit hoyi rahu tayu lai pargaas ujaaraa: When you are conscious in your Consciousness, you will be Enlightened and Illuminated (sggs 339).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਪਾਏ ॥: Haumai vichi prabh koi na paae: No one finds God through egoism (sggs 664).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੇ ਤਾ ਦਰੁ ਸੂਝੈ ॥: Haumai maare taa dar soojhai: Kill your ego, then you will find God's Door (sggs 842).
- ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਜਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੈ ॥: So jan saachaa ji haumai maarai: That humble being is true, who kills his ego (sggs 230).
Upon the death (eradication, annihilation, removal etc.) of false ego, senses become "widow"! Just as fire, having consumed the fuel, disappears into its unmanifest form, just as the dreamer and his world of dream merge and disappear upon awakening, so too the body-identified ego consciousness, as our sense of individuality, disappears into the experience of the Timeless Spirit. Once the false ego is dissolved in the Realization of the real Mool — experience of the Oneness of the Totality — one becomes Gurmukh (Spiritual Being), whereby he sees all the activities of his body-mind-intellect vehicle as guided not by himself, but by the Divine Factor. When this intuitive wisdom (Aatam-Giaan) dawns upon us, all notions such as ignorance, knowledge, bondage, liberation, pain, joy, birth, death, action, inaction, tendencies, memory, mind, intellect, ego, Jeeva (individualized consciousness), etc., cease to be. Because all notions or wandering is nothing but movement of the false ego. So become a Spiritual Being (Gurmukh) and step out of the ego shell, roars the Gurbani.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਅਗਨਿ ਨਿਵਾਰੀ ॥: Gurmukhi hayumai agni nivaaree: By becoming a true Spiritual Being, put out the fire of egoism (sggs 943).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਰੋਗੁ ਗਇਆ ਭਉ ਭਾਗਾ ਸਹਜੇ ਸਹਜਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ: Haumai rog gaiaa bhaau bhaagaa sahaji sahaji milaaiaa: The disease of egoism is gone, fear has left, and I am absorbed in celestial peace (sggs 773).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਧੰਧੁ ਛੋਡਹੁ ਲੰਪਟਾਈ ॥: Houmai dhandh shoddahu lanpattaaee: Abandon your involvement in egotistical affairs and conflicts (sggs 1026).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਵਿਰੋਧੁ ਹੈ ਦੁਇ ਨ ਵਸਹਿ ਇਕ ਠਾਇ ॥: Houmai naavai naal virodh hai due na vasahi ik thaae (sggs 560).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਪਾਏ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਜਲਾਏ ॥: Gurmukhi Naam Niranjan paae. Gurmukhi haumain sabadi jalaae: By becoming the Gurmukh, one obtains the Name of the Immaculate Lord. The Gurmukh burns ego through the Shabad (sggs 942).
- ਹਉਮੈ ਜਾਈ ਤਾ ਕੰਤ ਸਮਾਈ ॥: Haumai jaaee taa kant samaee: Only by eliminating ego, you link with God (sggs 750).
- ਆਤਮੁ ਚੀਨੈ ਸੁ ਤਤੁ ਬੀਚਾਰੇ ॥: Aatam cheenai su tatt beechaarae: One who understands his own Soul, contemplates the essence of Reality (sggs 224).
- ਨਾਉ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਹਉਮੈ ਗਈ ਸਭਿ ਰੋਗ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥: Naaou maniai haumai gaee sabh rog gavaaiaa: With faith in the Naam, egoism is eradicated, and all sickness is cured (sggs 1242).
— T. Singh