When Kabeer Sahib realized he wasted his life in Kashi following worthless rituals dictated by Brahmin / Pundits (such as counting beads – Maalaa, rosary, and so on), he moved from there.
- ਸਗਲ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਿਵ ਪੁਰੀ ਗਵਾਇਆ ॥: Wasted my whole life in the city of Shiva (i.e., Kashi). (sggs 326).
After realizing uselessness of empty rituals such as counting beads, he threw away the rosary and declared:
- ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥: Bhagti cannot be performed with hunger (for Maya…). (So) Here is Your Maalaa (rosary), take it back (sggs 656).
Thus, the Gurbani repudiates (Khandan) Pakhandbaagee (deception, hypocrisy, humbug, pretense, etc.) such as counting beads (Maalaa, rosary). Such nonsense was introduced by those who purposely intended to corrupt the Gurmat (Aatam-Giaan, Knowledge, Wisdom, or Teaching of the Gurbani).
Instead of correcting this mistake, unfortunately, this falsehood is not only carried on, but further propagated by the Mayadhaaree Pujaaree-Group (Bhais, Granthees, Raagees, Jathedaars, Paathees, and so on). It’s all Chakkar of Golak (money)!
The Gurbani wants us to make meditation (Naam-Simran – on Gur-Giaan, Shabad-Vichaar…) the rosary enshrined in the Heart within.
- ਹਰਿ ਮਾਲਾ ਉਰ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਕਾ ਦੂਖੁ ਨਿਵਾਰੈ ॥੨॥: Who holds the rosary of the Divine Naam within the Heart, deters the suffering of birth and death. ||2|| (sggs 388).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਸਨੋ ਹੂਆ ਤ ਕਿਆ ਭਇਆ ਮਾਲਾ ਮੇਲੀਂ ਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਬਾਰਹਾ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਭਰੀ ਭੰਗਾਰ ॥: Kabeer, what good is it to become a God’s devotee, and wear four Maalaas? On the outside, you (pretend to) look like pure gold; but on the inside, you is stuffed with filth or Bhangaar (sggs 1372).
But still, as seen everyday, the emphasis of most of the clergy, clerics, Bhais, Raagees, Kathaakaars, Giaanees, Parchaaraks, Sants, Baabaas, etc., is to promote religious symbols and rituals that are strongly repudiated by the Gurbani. They are totally in contradiction with the Divine Teaching (Aatam-Giaan…) and purpose of the SGGS.
Why does Gurbani rejects this nonsense? Because stubbornness (ਮਨ ਹਠ) and all calculations in false ego-sense (Haumai). Consider a few following verses:
- ਹਉਮੈ ਸਭਾ ਗਣਤ ਹੈ ਗਣਤੈ ਨਉ ਸੁਖੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥: All accounting is in egotism. In this accounting, there is no Peace (sggs 36).
- ਗਣਤੈ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਪਾਈਐ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਰਮੀਤਾ ॥: Prabhoo cannot be obtained (Realized) by counting; the mortal wanders in doubt — Maya, duality etc. (sggs 510).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਾਠ ਕੀ ਕਿਆ ਦਿਖਲਾਵਹਿ ਲੋਇ ॥ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਹੀ ਇਹ ਜਪਨੀ ਕਿਆ ਹੋਇ ॥੭੫॥: O Kabeer! Why do you show other people your wooden rosary beads? You do not remember Raam (Mool…) in your Heart, so what use is this rosary to you? ||75|| (sggs 1368).
- ਕਬੀਰ ਬੈਸਨੋ ਹੂਆ ਤ ਕਿਆ ਭਇਆ ਮਾਲਾ ਮੇਲੀਂ ਚਾਰਿ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕੰਚਨੁ ਬਾਰਹਾ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਭਰੀ ਭੰਗਾਰ ॥: Kabeer, what good is it to become a God’s devotee, and wear four Maalaas? On the outside, you (pretend to) look like pure gold; but on the inside, you are stuffed with filth or inner-garbage (sggs 1372).
This Giaan of the Gurbani also applies to the Sikhs!! If we don’t believe it then we are not Sikhs. Gurmat and Saakat-Matt are two different and opposing things.
All counting is for the conditioned or material being (Manmukh, Saakat…) for his life or world is in the realm of calculations — egoism or Maya. There is no counting or calculations for the Gurmukh (one who lives the Gur-Giaan…); because he knows he is not separate from God. He thus relieves himself of all egoistic or mental calculations through the constant abidance in his Joti-Svaroopa within. So the Gurbani urges us to become the Gurmukh.
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਗਣਤ ਮਿਟਾਵੈ ॥: The Gurmukh erases all calculations (sggs 942).