Unlike all world religions, the Gurbani (SGGS) liberates us from the slavery of the outer domination.
For example, all religions of the world tell you that God (or whatever name you want to use) is “up there” or “there yonder”, be fearful of His wrath, be blindly under His domination, so on and so forth.
As God is some dictator and we all must be under His dictatorship!!!
In fact, Christian clergy will tell you that the only way to God is through Jesus! If you do not follow him then you go to hell, and you have no hope to get into the Kingdom of God, up there!
The clergy of the Judiasm claims they are the only chosen people of God!
Muslim clergy will label you “Kaaffir” (infidel) unless you are a Muslim — a “Kaaffir” does not even deserve to live! It’s equally embarrassing for the rest.
What a cynical view of Spirituality, God, and religion!!
However, the Divine Wisdom (Brahm-Giaan) of the Gurbani does not believe in such nonsense. It believes in “Love” and “Oneness”.
Simply put, the Gurbani asserts that people talk about salvation of others and being saved themselves (i.e., the savior and the saved) ONLY until they have Realized the Reality!! In other words, once they Realize the Truth, they transcend all this!!
- ਤਾਰਨ ਤਰਨੁ ਤਬੈ ਲਗੁ ਕਹੀਐ ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਤਤੁ ਨ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਅਬ ਤਉ ਬਿਮਲ ਭਏ ਘਟ ਹੀ ਮਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੨॥੫॥: (People talk of) salvation and being saved (i.e., the savior and the saved) as long as they do not understand the Essence of Reality. Says Kabeer! (I have) now become Pure within my Heart; my mind has become Happy. ||2||5|| (sggs 1104).
Accordingly, instead of wandering outside or worrying about a dominator or dictator ruling from “up there” or “there yonder”, the Gurbani asks us to look within:
- ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥: (The Divine Virtues, Wisdom, Spiritual tranquility, Naam, Shabad, Amrit, Prabh, ਆਤਮਕ ਸੁਖ…) all that is within the Heart-Home; not outside. Who searches outside is deluded by doubts (sggs 102).
- ਪੁਹਪ ਮਧਿ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਸੁ ਬਸਤੁ ਹੈ ਮੁਕਰ ਮਾਹਿ ਜੈਸੇ ਛਾਈ ॥ ਤੈਸੇ ਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਬਸੇ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਘਟ ਹੀ ਖੋਜਹੁ ਭਾਈ ॥੧॥: Like the fragrance which remains in the flower, and like the reflection in the mirror, the Lord dwells deep within. (Therefore) search for Him within your own heart, O brother. ||1|| (sggs 684).
- ਮਨਮੁਖੁ ਮੁਗਧੁ ਬੂਝੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭਾਲਣਿ ਜਾਈ ॥: The foolish Manmukh does not understand (this mystery); he goes out searching (the Divine, Lord) externally (sggs 754).
Clearly, the Gurbani teaches us an Inner Rule or an Inner discipline — a revolution within!
- ਜੋ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡੇ ਸੋਈ ਪਿੰਡੇ ਜੋ ਖੋਜੈ ਸੋ ਪਾਵੈ ॥: That, which is in Brahm-Andd (ਅੰਡ), the same is also in the body; whoever seeks (within), obtains (within). (sggs 695). (sggs 695).
The Gurbani thus teaches us to get out from any type of outer domination — no outer domination should exist whatsoever. For illusion is outside. But, the Spiritual Factor is inside! The Gurbani says that those who become Gurmukhs (follower of Truth…) understands this, and those who remain Manmukhs (deniers of Truth…) remains in fetters.
- ਨਾਨਕ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਬੰਧੁ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕਰਾਏ ॥੪॥੩॥: O Nanak! Manmukhs remain in bondage; (but those who) become Gurmukhs become liberated. ||4||3|| (sggs 559).
Undoubtedly, the Gurbani is truly a revolutionary Siddhaant — the assertion of Truth, authentic Experience or Realization, Vision of Reality, the Timeless and Original Wisdom (Brahm-Giaan) …! It Liberates the entire humanity from the slavery of any outside agency, outside domination, or any rule from the outside.
To the Contrary, the band of clergy of all religions tell you there is a God “up there”, etc., and be scared of His wrath. This is how they are able to enslave the masses in rituals, dogmas, Karamkaand...
However, the Gurbani wants to free the entire humanity. So it urges all to step Inward.
To Free us from any domination from the outside, the Gurbani tells not to depend on an outside agency for resolving our life’s affairs. Instead, we can and we must resolve our own affairs, ourselves, here and now:
- ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਕਾਜੁ ਸਵਾਰੀਐ ॥੨੦॥: (So long there is breath-Praan) With own hands (with self-efforts, ਉੱਦਮ ਕਰ ਕੇ…), resolve your own affair yourself. ||20|| (sggs 474).
However, the priest-class and the custodians of ALL religions want people to be slave of or dependent on an outside agency that is vengeful, wrathful, jealous, angry, etc. This way it’s much easier for them to exploit and manipulate the masses, propagate duality, hatred, fear, pitting people against one another (i.e., “us versus them”) …
- ਹਮਰਾ ਭਰਮੁ ਗਇਆ ਭਉ ਭਾਗਾ ॥: With the departure of my doubt, (my) fear has fled away (sggs 655).
The Beauty of this Siddhaant is that once you step Inward, you free yourself from the slavery of the outside nonsense — one acts spontaneously, not according to any rule imposed by others or by the mind of oneself.
Once inside… you keep going… until become established in “Sahaj Samaadhi” (Natural State of Being, Spontaneous State of Being), “Sunn Samaadhi” (stillness, nothingness, spiritual Silence, State Free of Mayaic thoughts, false ego-sense or Haumai, etc.), “Padu Nirabaanu” (Nirvaanaa, liberation, eternal happiness, etc.)…
Here the response Total, is Undivided, Untainted, Unconditioned, non-violent, Total Freedom …
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਿਗਸੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥: The Gurmukh (Spiritual Being) blossoms forth through Sahaj (sggs 1173).
- ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਸਹਜਿ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਤਾ ॥: (By becoming the Gurmukh, his) mind remains intuitively absorbed in Sunn Samaadhi (where there are no Mayaic thoughts, noise of the Haumai, etc.). (sggs 904).
- ਨਾਮਿ ਰਤਾ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੁ ॥੩॥: Naami rataa soee Nirabaanu (sggs 385).
Here the actor (imposter or distorted mind) completely disappears, the scene and the seer become one — here the mind is completely Free of all conditioning, and it cannot be manipulated by anybody or anything. Reality is only when the mind is not. Death of the mind is death of Maya.
- ਫਾਹੇ ਕਾਟੇ ਮਿਟੇ ਗਵਨ ਫਤਿਹ ਭਈ ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤ ॥: When one conquers his (own) mind, victory (Fatih-”ਫਤਿਹ”) is obtained; (Maya’s) snares are cut (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਮੋਹ ਦੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕੱਟੇ ਜਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ); and one’s (Mayaic-ਮਾਇਆ ਪਿਛੇ ਭਟਕਣਾ) wanderings cease. (sggs 258).
Hence, the Gurbani asserts that no outer domination should exist whatsoever. Thus, the Gurbani’s Dharma is Truth (Sach-ਸਚ), not out of fear but out of Truth!!
- ਬੋਲੀਐ ਸਚੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਝੂਠੁ ਨ ਬੋਲੀਐ ॥: Speaking Truth is Dharma; don’t speak falsehood (sggs 488).
What a revolutionary Siddhaant, indeed!