The sense of time-space-causation arises when the illusioned mind (engrossed in “Parpanch“: engrossed in duality or affairs of this illusory or fleeting material world, deception, ostentation, trick…) is in movement from past to future. In other words, the illusion of time-space-causation comes into being only if we hold on to the memory of the past and anxiety of the future.
- ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਪਰਪੰਚਿ ਲਾਗੇ ॥: In the love of duality, (by forgetting their Mool, Jeeva) remain attached to “Parpanch” (sggs 842).
- ਪਰਪੰਚਿ ਵਿਆਪਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਮਨੁ ਦੋਇ ॥: The mind is engrossed in “Parpanch” and duality (sggs 153).
Thus, the Gurbani indicates that the mind inflicted with duality or Maya is “Parpanchee“!
However, the Gurbani also confirms that there are those in this world who are not engrossed in “Parpanch“; but they are very “rare”!
- ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਰਲੇ ਪਾਈਅਹਿ ਜੋ ਨ ਰਚਹਿ ਪਰਪੰਚ ॥੫॥: O Nanak! Rare are those, who do not create “Parpanch”. ||5|| (sggs 297).
These days, a popular and common expression is: “happy new year”.
What’s “new” and what’s so “happy” about such “Parpanch“?
We consider it as the new year when — at the stroke of the midnight — the current year changes to the next.
This is an external change (material, physical …), thus unreal — temporary, fleeting, illusory…
This is not the Real Change (permanent…) the Gurbani would like us to bring about! The Gurbani says:
- ਜੇ ਸਉ ਵਰ੍ਹਿਆ ਜੀਵਣ ਖਾਣੁ ॥ ਖਸਮ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਸੋ ਦਿਨੁ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥੨॥: If (one) were to live and eat for hundred years, that day (of one’s life) alone would be authentic (acceptable, approved, auspicious…), when (one) recognizes the Lord. ||2|| (sggs 349).
- ਸੋ ਦਿਨੁ ਸਫਲੁ ਗਣਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ਰਾਮ ॥: That day is fruitful, (the day) Hari-Prabhoo (Mool, Source, Jot…) is realized (sggs 547).
In other words, it would be a real New Year when we change within (the Real Change) — Positive change in one’s illusioned mind, defiled nature, wicked habits, corrupt intellect (Budhi), negative tendencies, faulty thinking and understanding, and so on! In other words:
It’s a change from a Manmukh lifestyle (engrossed in “Parpanch”, body-consciousness, self-will…) to the Gurmukh Lifestyle (Divine Life, Un-Parpanchhee Lifestyle…).
- It’s a change from untruth to Truth (Sach).
- It’s a change from demerits to the Divine Virtues.
- It’s a change from illusion (Bharam-Jaal or Maya-Jaal) to Reality.
- It’s a change from false, ephemeral, fleeting, or temporary (Asatt) to the Permanent (Satt, Atall, etc.).
- It’s a change from time-bound to Timelessness (Akaal).
- It’s a change from unstable state (unnatural state, restlessness…) to Stable State (Stillness, Natural State of Being, Sahaj, Whole, Saabat, etc.) — a change from impurity to Purity of the mind.
- It’s a change from the doubt-ridden intellect (Budhi) to the Divine Knowledge (Prachand Giaan, Giaan-Avasthaa…).
- It’s a change from the memory and anxiety of the past and future to the Eternity of the present moment (NOW, mindfulness…).
Such positive change can begin Here and Now! No need to wait for the first of the year as the “Parpanchee” minds do to make new year’s resolutions, only to forget few days later!
The Gurbani reminds us that the ultimate purpose of human life is to change it for better and make it something worth while incarnated in the human body and, ultimately, realize one’s Spiritual Nature (Mool, Source, Jot Saroop…) within.
- ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਤੂੰ ਆਇਆ ਲਾਹਾ ਲੈਣਿ ॥: O mortal, you came to earn a (Spiritual) Profit. (sggs 43).
The Supreme Message of the Gurbani is (if we want to put it in words): We must change from not knowing oneself to “Knowing Oneself”.
- ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਪਛਾਣਸੀ ॥੪॥: (The person who) recognizes the Shabad, true and acceptable is (his) time (life). ||4|| (sggs 422).
- ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰ ਤਾ ਜਾ ਸਚਿ ਰਾਤੇ ॥: The lunar and solar days are auspicious, when (person) is imbued with Truth (sggs 842).
- ਭਲੇ ਦਿਨਸ ਭਲੇ ਸੰਜੋਗ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਭੇਟੇ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਨਿਰਜੋਗ ॥੧॥: Auspicious are the days, and auspicious are the conjunctures, when the Pure Paarbrahm is met. ||1|| (sggs 191).
- ਸੋਈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਭਲਾ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਇ ਪਰਮ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: O my brother! Only that day is auspicious (for a person), when (he) obtains the supreme status (Highest Spiritual State…) by Praising Hari’s Virtues. ||Pause|| (sggs 395).
- ਚਚਾ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਗੁਰ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ ਧਨਿ ਧਨਿ ਉਆ ਦਿਨ ਸੰਜੋਗ ਸਭਾਗਾ ॥: CHACHAA (an alphabet of the Gurmukhi): (When one) got attached to the Gur-Lotus-Feet (i.e., when one got attached to the Gur-Virtues, Gur-Giaan…), (consider) those days blessed, (and consider those) conjunctures blessed (sggs 254).
Therefore, the Gurbani asks how each one of us has changed the course of his/her life:
- ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਪੁਰਖਾ ਜਨਮੁ ਵਟਾਇਆ ॥: O man, how have you changed the course of your life? (sggs 939).
- ਜੇ ਸਉ ਵਰ੍ਹ੍ਹਿਆ ਜੀਵਣਾ ਭੀ ਤਨੁ ਹੋਸੀ ਖੇਹ ॥੪੧॥: Je saou… (sggs 1380).
In nutshell, changing the course of life is a revolution within.
Simply put: It is changing the doubt-ridden intellect and replacing it with the discerning intellect (Viveka-Budhi) of the Gurbani. The mind so mended will turn away from its crooked ways and turn inwards to its True Nature (Jot Saroop…). Baabaa Kabeer shows us how to change and what to change to:
- ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਬੁਧਿ ਹਰਿ ਲਈ ਮੇਰੀ ਬੁਧਿ ਬਦਲੀ ਸਿਧਿ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥੨੧॥੭੨॥: Says Kabeer (O Lord)! You have taken away my (worldly) wisdom, (now that worldly) Budhi has transmuted, I have attained Spiritual Perfection. ||2||21||72|| (sggs 339).
- ਬਿਗਰਿਓ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਦੁਹਾਈ ॥ ਸਾਚੁ ਭਇਓ ਅਨ ਕਤਹਿ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥: Making a treaty to Raam (Mool, Source…), Kabeer got spoiled (in positive sense: got changed, transformed, blended in Truth…). (With an entreaty to Raam, Kabeer) has become the embodiment of Truth, and wanders not any where else (sggs 1158).
However, according the Gurbani, a “rare” one embarks on this revolutionary Path. Such person is called the Gurmukh, Bhagat, Daas, Jan, etc., in the Gurbani.
- ਸਬਦੀ ਧੋਵੈ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਕੋਈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥: A rare (person) washes (his mind) with the Shabad. A rare (person), by becoming the Gurmukh, practices the Truth (sggs 1344).
The Gurbani wants each of its seeker (learner, student, Sikh) to mend the doubt-ridden mind with the Wisdom of the Shabad and become the “rare” Gurmukh, Here and Now.
Otherwise, before we know, kaput! The end!
Helloooooooooo New Year!