The Gurbani says:
- ਆਪੇ ਕੀਤੋ ਖੇਲੁ ਤਮਾਸਾ ॥: Himself stages the wondrous Play and Show (of this world). (sggs 1033).
- ਚਿਲਿਮਿਲਿ ਬਿਸੀਆਰ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਫਾਨੀ ॥: The (glitter or splendor) of the world is exorbitant like a thunderbolt, (but it is) transitory (i.e., a passing show). (sggs 1291).
To a Brahm Giaanee (Gurmukh, Bhagat, Daas, Jan…), this world-show is just a “Tamaasaa” – entertainment, spectacle, show…!
- ਮੈ ਹੋ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਕੋ ਦਾਸਾ ॥ ਦੇਖਨ ਆਯੋ ਜਗਤ ਤਮਾਸਾ ॥: I am the Daas of the Param Purakh, and have come to see the world-show (Dasam Granth 137).
How a Brahm Giaanee does it? For example, a Brahm Giaanee is stabilized in Sahaj Avasthaa (Natural State of Being, Giaan Avasthaa, spontaneity, ਆਤਮਕ ਅਡੋਲਤਾ…). The world to him is nothing but a show, glittering but empty (without any depth). To him the world is a Cosmic Play, which he enjoys as long as it lasts and forgets when it is over. He is neither attached to the actors in this play, nor does he identify himself with them. Whatever takes place on the stage makes him quiver or roll with laughter, yet all the time he is aware that it is just a passing show (Tamaashaa)! He enjoys it as it happens; without attachment, desires or fear. Since he has transcended Maya, he is worry-free.
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸੁਖ ਸਹਜ ਨਿਵਾਸ ॥: The Brahm Giaanee dwells in Sahaj (Avasthaa). (sggs 273).
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਕੈ ਹੋਇ ਅਚਿੰਤ ॥: The Brahm Giaanee is worry-free (sggs 273).
His “egg of doubt” is broken, and thus his mind has become Enlightened with the Brahm-Giaan (Divine Knowledge). False ego or Maya guided mind (an Agiaanee) is the source of all mischief – by its very nature, it divides and opposes. When a man identifies himself with the external body or Maya, he is guided by the false consciousness of himself as the doer. To the contrary, however, a Giaanee’s wisdom is guided by the Spiritual Wisdom (Aatam Giaan of the Gurbani…). In that state of Shabad-Surti, he remains immune to the influence of Maya.
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਅਹੰਬੁਧਿ ਤਿਆਗਤ ॥: The Brahm Giaanee renounces his ego intellect (sggs 273).
- ਫੂਟੋ ਆਂਡਾ ਭਰਮ ਕਾ ਮਨਹਿ ਭਇਓ ਪਰਗਾਸੁ ॥: (With the Gur-Giaan) the egg of doubt (shell of doubt-ਭਰਮ ਦਾ ਪੜਦਾ) has burst; the mind is Enlightened (Illumined-ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਦੀ ਸੂਝ, Aatm-Giaan…). (sggs 1002).
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਕੇ ਮਨਿ ਹੋਇ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸ ॥: Brahm Giaanee ke mani hoi pragaas (sggs 272).
The True Giaanee is always alert to his body-senses-mind-intellect apparatus. A tortoise, for example, extends his senses (four legs, head and a tail) out of the armor of his shell for a particular purpose. However, as soon as he feels harm or danger, he immediately withdraws them within the shell. Similarly, a Giaanee ever remains Awake (Alert, Free of Maya-ਮਾਇਆ ਤੋਂ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ…), and withdraws his senses the moment he feels danger of worldly temptation (Maya).
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਦ ਜਾਗਤ ॥: The Brahm Giaanee is always Awake (sggs 273).
The True Giaanee is like butter. Water added to milk will mix with it. However, the milk that has become butter will float on water, without going through adulteration. Similarly, the Giaanee who has churned the Gurbani and has eaten the Butter of its Brahm-Giaan, finds himself impervious, inwardly and outwardly, to all attachment to sense-objects even when he lives amidst them.
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ॥ ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲ ਅਲੇਪ ॥: The Brahm Giaanee is always Pure (untainted by Maya…), as the lotus in the water remains untouched (sggs 272).
The True Giaanee is a detached observer: just as air exists in space, but, since it is not attached to space, it is free from spatial limitations. Even though he appears to have a body, but he is bodiless. It is just as the space is responsible for the growth of a tree, but the space does not arrest such growth!
The mind attached to Maya is tortured by the memory of the past and worries of the future. The Giaanee, however, is free from past-memory and future-anticipation, he is quite happy with whatever comes. This is “Bhaanaa Mannanaa” — obeying the Divine Hukam.
The analogy of screen may aid us further appreciate the True Giaanee’s state of mind. In the cinema hall, the screen is fixed, whilst the pictures move in it (gunshots, romance, etc.). The screen, however, ever remains unaffected by the movement of these pictures. Likewise, the Spiritually Awakened Gianee is fully Aware that the true state of his Mool ever remains Unmodified (Undivided, Unopposing to the Hukam…) and that all activities go on around him; hence, he considers only the screen and not the moving pictures!
Mool (Jot, Source, Reality…) is Formless-Spaceless-Timeless; therefore, beyond any mundane descriptions. Since the true Giaanee is linked to That, the state of his mind is also beyond any mundane description – cannot be limited to the hollowness of the words of human language.
- ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਕੀ ਮਿਤਿ ਕਉਨੁ ਬਖਾਨੈ ॥: Brahm Giaanee ki miti kaun bakhainai (sggs 273).