"BIPAREETSuch is the lifestyle of the Saakats;
everything they do is "Bipareet" (sggs 195)
Bipareet (ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ) literally means contrary, hostile, reverse, opposite, repugnant, adverse, destructive, corrupt, impure, bad, cruel, negative, offensive, etc. Therefore, Bipareet-Budhi or Bipareet-Mati is simply the cruel- or evil-mindedness (Durmat, Ulatee Mati, Ulatee Preet, Ulatee Chaal etc.). Most of us are in love with duality (Doojaa Bhaav) or Maya's dualistic principle. According to the Gurbani's affirmations, our love of Maya is the cause of our worldly sorrows. It corrupts and wastes away one's life. Those fluttering around in "Bipareet" nature are burnt, like moths in a flame.
- ਦੁਤੀਆ ਭਾਉ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ਅਨੀਤਿ ਦਾਸਾ ਨਹ ਭਾਵਏ ਜੀਉ ॥: Duteeaa bhaaou bipareet aneet daasaa nah bhaavaye jeeou: The love of duality, this evil practice, this bad habit, is not liked by the Lord's slaves (sggs 80).
- ਕਮਲਾ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਭੀਤਿ ਕਮਲਾ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਭੀਤਿ ਹੇ ਤੀਖਣ ਮਦ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ਹੇ ਅਵਧ ਅਕਾਰਥ ਜਾਤ ॥: Kamalaa bhram bheet kamalaa bhram bheet hay teekhan mada bipareet hay avadh akaarath jaat: Maya is the wall of doubt - Maya is the wall of doubt. It is such a powerful and destructive intoxicant; it corrupts and wastes away one's life (sggs 461).
- ਸਾਕਤ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਉ ਬਹੁ ਧਾਵਹਿ ॥: Saakat Maya kou bahu dhaavahi: Saakats chase after Maya (sggs 1029).
- ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਪਰੀਤਿ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਸੁਖੀ ਨ ਦੀਸੈ ਕੋਇ ॥: Maya moh pareet dhrig sukhee na deesai koi: Cursed is emotional attachment and love of Maya; no one is seen to be at peace (sggs 47).
As a result of one's love for Maya, one acts in life as the Saakat (Mayadhaaree, Manmukh, faithless cynic, self-centered, Haume or material being, foolish, evil-minded etc.), and all his doing is Bipareet. According to the Gurbani's affirmation, those in "Bipareet-Budhi", cannot stand the truthful ways of saintly people (Gurmukhs) so they bad mouth them. But, to the contrary, they befriend, adore and respect the "Saakats"! Such are their corrupt ("Bipareet") ways. Thus, instead of engaging in Naam-Simran (meditation, Jap), they engage in "Bipareet" doings.
- ਸਾਕਤ ਕੀ ਐਸੀ ਹੈ ਰੀਤਿ ॥ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰੈ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ॥: Saakat kee aisee hai reeti. Jo kishu karai sagal bipareeti: Such is the lifestyle of the Saatak; everything they do is "Bipreeti" (contrary to the Truth, Naam...). (sggs 195).
- ਸੰਤ ਕੀ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਸਾਕਤ ਕੀ ਪੂਜਾ ਐਸੀ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ੍ੀ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ॥: Sant kee nindaa saakat kee poojaa aisee drirrhee bipareet: You slander the Saints, and you worship the Saakat; such are the corrupt ways you have adopted (sggs 673).
- ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਜਪਹਿ ਕਰਤ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ॥: Har naam na japahi karat bipareet: People do not chant the Lord's Name; instead, they practice evil (sggs 298).
- ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਭਵਹਿ ਬਿਖੁ ਮਾਇਆ ॥: Doojai bhaai bhavahi bikh Maya: In the love of duality, the mortals wander through poisonous Maya (sggs 366).
- ਸਾਕਤ ਮੂੜ ਮਾਇਆ ਕੇ ਬਧਿਕ ਵਿਚਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਫਿਰੰਦੇ ॥: Saakath moorr Maya ke badhik vich Maya firahi firande: The foolish Saakat are held captive by Maya; in Maya, they continue wandering, wandering around (sggs 800).
- ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿਤ ਜਿਨਿ ਇਹੁ ਰਸੁ ਖੋਇਆ ਜਾ ਸਾਕਤ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਲਾਗਾ ॥: Maya mohit jin ihu ras khoiaa jaa saakat duramati laagaa: One who is lured by Maya loses this juice (of the Lord's Name); that Saakat is tied to his evil-mindedness (sggs 598).
- ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਸਭੁ ਦੁਖੁ ਹੈ ਦੁਖਿ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਰੋਇ ॥: Maya mohu sabh dukh hai dukh binasai dukh roi: The love of Maya is total pain; in pain they perish, and in pain they cry out (sggs 316).
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਅਗਿਆਨੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਿਆਪੇ ਤਿਨ੍ ਬੂਝ ਨ ਕਾਈ ਪਾਇ ॥: Manmukh agiaanee Maya mohi viaape tinh boojh
na kaaee paai: The ignorant Manmukhs are engrossed in the love of Maya; they have
no understanding at all (sggs 511).
Another example provided in the Gurbani of those who have adopted the practice of "Bipareet" are rulers, kings (leaders, dictators, politicians etc.). The present day rulers or leaders of all sorts lack godly qualities (Dharma), thus are corrupt and evil. Bound in the chains of Maya; they are actively engaged in "gathering in the poisonous wealth". In illusion, they think they and their power will be with them forever. Not true! When rulers or leaders become heedless, people become confused and weakened. As a result, there can be no true spiritual and material growth and prosperity, and social justice for the people, particularly for the weak For justice, peace and harmony to prevail, the rulers (leaders, politicians, ministers, kings etc.) must have a healthy approach towards their subjects and govern according to principles of Dharma. Unfortunately, this is very rare indeed in today's world where power and wealth seem to be the prime motivation for the ruling elite. They are generally corrupt, suffering from falsehood, although probably not all. Even in democratic systems, people are left with the choice to elect the lesser evil!
- ਬਿਪਰੀਤ ਬੁਧ੍ਹੰ ਮਾਰਤ ਲੋਕਹ ਨਾਨਕ ਚਿਰੰਕਾਲ ਦੁਖ ਭੋਗਤੇ ॥: Bipareet budhham maarat lokah Nanak chirankaal dukh bhogate: Those cruel-minded rulers who oppress the people, O Nanak, will suffer in pain for a very long time (sggs 1356).
- ਸਾਕਤ ਬੰਧ ਭਏ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਬਿਖੁ ਸੰਚਹਿ ਲਾਇ ਜਕੀੜਾ ॥: Saakat bandh bhaye hai Maya bikh sanchahi laai jakeerraa: Saakat are bound and gagged in the chains of Maya; they are actively engaged, gathering in the poisonous wealth (sggs 698).
Another example given in the Gurbani as to how we can remain Free of "Bipareet" is that of the earth, tree, boat, sky, sun, wind etc. The Gurbani enlightens us about how we can imbibe wisdom from these by observing them. From the earth we can imbibe the quality of remaining unperturbed in all circumstances. Seeing the Earth's endurance man should not deviate from his course of truthful living; conscious of the fact of being subject to Providence. The sharp tool cuts down the tree, but it does not feel anger in its mind. It serves the purpose of the cutter, and does not blame him at all. Man boards the boat, and then sits down in it. Not only the fatigue of his body is relieved, but it also carries him to the other shore. Further, it does not let the ocean even wet him. The sky stretches evenly over all. It knows nothing of friend and enemy; all beings are alike to it. Even though covered by a body, man should identify with the Self ("Joti-Svaroopa"), which is all- pervading, by observing the sky (space). The sun rises, and dispels the darkness. Touching both the pure and the impure, it harbors no hatred to any. Similarly, man should adopts the mentality "no one is my enemy". The wind gently blows upon all places alike. Wherever anything is, it touches it there, and does not hesitate a bit. Good or bad, whoever comes close to the fire - his cold is taken away. It knows nothing of its own or others'; it is constant in the same quality. Similarly, though moving among all sorts of objects, man should not get particularly attached to them anymore than air, which flows freely. All these examples highlights the evanescence of the worldly life and the need to strive for liberation (Mukti) from bondage by self-effort of self-observation and self-purification.
- ਸਸਤ੍ਰਿ ਤੀਖਣਿ ਕਾਟਿ ਡਾਰਿਓ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਕੀਨੋ ਰੋਸੁ ॥ ਕਾਜੁ ਉਆ ਕੋ ਲੇ ਸਵਾਰਿਓ ਤਿਲੁ ਨ ਦੀਨੋ ਦੋਸੁ ॥੧॥ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਰਾਮ ਰਉ ਨਿਤ ਨੀਤਿ ॥ ਦਇਆਲ ਦੇਵ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸੁਨਿ ਸੰਤਨਾ ਕੀ ਰੀਤਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਚਰਣ ਤਲੈ ਉਗਾਹਿ ਬੈਸਿਓ ਸ੍ਰਮੁ ਨ ਰਹਿਓ ਸਰੀਰਿ ॥ ਮਹਾ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਨਹ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਖਿਨਹਿ ਉਤਰਿਓ ਤੀਰਿ ॥੨॥ ਚੰਦਨ ਅਗਰ ਕਪੂਰ ਲੇਪਨ ਤਿਸੁ ਸੰਗੇ ਨਹੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥ ਬਿਸਟਾ ਮੂਤ੍ਰ ਖੋਦਿ ਤਿਲੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਮਨੀ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ॥੩॥ ਊਚ ਨੀਚ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਸੰਲਗਨ ਸਭ ਸੁਖ ਛਤ੍ਰ ॥ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਸਤ੍ਰੁ ਨ ਕਛੂ ਜਾਨੈ ਸਰਬ ਜੀਅ ਸਮਤ ॥੪॥ ਕਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਾਸੁ ਪ੍ਰਚੰਡ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਿਓ ਅੰਧਕਾਰ ਬਿਨਾਸ ॥ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਅਪਵਿਤ੍ਰਹ ਕਿਰਣ ਲਾਗੇ ਮਨਿ ਨ ਭਇਓ ਬਿਖਾਦੁ ॥੫॥ ਸੀਤ ਮੰਦ ਸੁਗੰਧ ਚਲਿਓ ਸਰਬ ਥਾਨ ਸਮਾਨ ॥ ਜਹਾ ਸਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਤਹਾ ਲਾਗਿਓ ਤਿਲੁ ਨ ਸੰਕਾ ਮਾਨ ॥੬॥ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਅਭਾਇ ਜੁ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਆਵੈ ਸੀਤੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਆਪ ਪਰ ਕਾ ਕਛੁ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਸਦਾ ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਭਾਇ ॥੭॥ ਚਰਣ ਸਰਣ ਸਨਾਥ ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤੇ ਲਾਲ ॥ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਗੁਣ ਨਿਤ ਗਾਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਏ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕਿਰਪਾਲ ॥੮॥੩॥: Sasatr teekhan kaat daariou mani na keeno ros...: The sharp tool
cuts down the tree, but the tree does not feel anger in its mind. It serves the
purpose of the cutter, and does not blame him at all. ||1|| O my mind, continually
(remaining in the association of the saintly beings), continuously, meditate on
the Lord. The Lord of the Universe is merciful, divine and compassionate. Listen
- this is the way of the Saints. ||1||Pause|| Man plants his feet in the boat,
and then sits down in it; the fatigue of his body is relieved. The vast ocean
does not even affect him; In a moment (before too long), he arrives on the other
shore. ||2|| (Those who apply) sandalwood, aloe, and camphor-paste (on the earth)
- (the earth) does not love them. Also, it doesn't mind, if someone digs it up
bit by bit, and throws manure and urine to it. ||3|| High and low, bad and good
- the comforting canopy of the sky stretches evenly over all. It knows nothing
of friend and enemy; all beings are alike to it. ||4|| Blazing with its dazzling
light, the sun rises (in the sky), and dispels the darkness. Its rays touch both
the pure and the impure or good and bad, (because of this) it harbors not feel
any Dukha. ||5|| The cool and fragrant wind gently blows upon all places
alike. Wherever anything is, it touches it there, and does not hesitate a bit.
||6|| Good or bad, whoever comes close to the fire - his cold (Paalaa)
is taken away. It knows nothing of its own or others'; it is constant in the same
natural state (quality). ||7|| Whoever seeks the Sanctuary of the feet of the Lord
- his mind is attuned to the Love of the Beloved Lord. Constantly singing the
Glorious Praises of the Lord. O Nanak (those who sing His Praises), God becomes
merciful to them ||8||3|| (sggs 1017-1018).
The Gurbani also provides us with the affirmation as to how one can Free himself from the pain (Dukha) of the "Bipareet" ways. In other words, how one can go about uprooting it? We human beings seem so "Bipareet", negative or selfish. Spiritual practices such as Naam-Simran, selfless service (Sevaa), being in the association of Saadh-Sangat (Holy Company of the Gurmukhs) etc. are essential to purify the mind.
- ਕੋਊ ਹੈ ਮੇਰੋ ਸਾਜਨੁ ਮੀਤੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸੁਨਾਵੈ ਨੀਤ ॥ ਬਿਨਸੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਬਿਪਰੀਤਿ ॥ ਸਭੁ ਅਰਪਉ ਮਨੁ ਤਨੁ ਚੀਤੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਕੋਈ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਆਪਨ ਕੀਤ ॥ ਸੰਗਿ ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਦੀਤ ॥੧॥ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਜੀਤ ॥ ਕੋਟਿ ਪਤਿਤ ਹੋਹਿ ਪੁਨੀਤ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਬਲਿ ਬਲਿ ਕੀਤ ॥੨॥੧॥੧੦॥੧੯॥: Kooo hai maero saajan meeth....: Is there any friend or companion of mine, who will constantly share the Lord's Name with me? (With the Name of the Lord) the pain of evil tendencies ("Bipareet") departs. I would surrender my mind, body, consciousness and everything else. ||1||Pause|| How rare is that one whom the Lord makes His own, and whose mind is sewn into the Lord's Lotus Feet. Granting His Grace, the Lord blesses him with His Praise. ||1|| Meditating on the Lord, becomr victorious in this precious human life. (By meditating on the Lord's Name) millions of sinners are sanctified. Says Nanak (I am) a sacrifice, a sacrifice to such Daasa (i.e., such Naam Japist) ||2||1||10||19|| (sggs 980).
— T. Singh