NO HARVEST WITHOUT SOWINGNow, the Kaloo is here (has come or arisen within). Plant the Name of the One Lord
(Naam: Aatam Giaan, Divine Knowledge, etc.; sow it in the Heart within). (sggs 450).
There is an older expression in rural India that if the farmer does not plant seed in his farming fields (Khet) at right time and right season, then he will have no crop, thereby no harvest. This human body is like Khet, the Lord's Name (Naam) is the seed. If we do not sow the seed of the Naam at right time, then there will be nothing to show for this precious and difficult to obtain human birth — the life will be a total waste.
- ਜਿਨੀ ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਸੇ ਕਾਹੇ ਜਗਿ ਆਏ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਜੇ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਮਾਣਸ ਜਨਮੁ ਦੁਲੰਭੁ ਹੈ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਸਭੁ ਜਾਏ ॥ ਹੁਣਿ ਵਤੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੀਜਿਓ ਅਗੈ ਭੁਖਾ ਕਿਆ ਖਾਏ ॥ ਮਨਮੁਖਾ ਨੋ ਫਿਰਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਭਾਏ ॥੨॥: Jinee aisaa har naam n chetio se kaahe jagi aaye raam raaje. Ihu maanas janam dulanbh hai naam binaa birathaa sabh jaaye. Hun vatai har naam na beejio agai bhukhaa kiaa khaaye. Manmukhaa no fir janam hai Nanak har bhaaye ||2||: Those who have not kept the Lord's Name in their consciousness - why did they bother to come into the world, O Lord King? It is so difficult to obtain this human birth, and without the Naam, it is all futile and useless. Now, in this most fortunate season, man does not plant the seed of the Lord's Name; what will the hungry soul (hungry of the Naam) eat, in the world hereafter? The Manmukhs (those guided by their ego-minds) are born again and again. O Nanak, such is the Lord's Will ||2|| (sggs 450).
- ਆਨ ਰੂਤੀ ਆਨ ਬੋਈਐ ਫਲੁ ਨ ਫੂਲੈ ਤਾਹਿ ॥ ਰੇ ਮਨ ਵਤ੍ਰ ਬੀਜਣ ਨਾਉ ॥: Aan rootee aan boeeai falu na foolai taahi. Re mann vatr beejan naaou: The ungenial seed, planted out of season, does not germinate; it does not produce flower or fruit. O mind! (Now is) the suitable (right, proper, ਢੁਕਵਾਂ ਸਮਾ) time to plant the seed of the Naam (sggs 1002).
- ਕਲਰਿ ਖੇਤੀ ਬੀਜੀਐ ਕਿਉ ਲਾਹਾ ਪਾਵੈ ॥: Kallar khetee beejeeai kiou laahaa paavai: Planting the seeds in the salty soil, how can one reap a profit? (sggs 419).
Just as there is no harvest without sowing, the deluded mind (false ego-sense or Haume) is not annihilated without persistent and timely practice (Simran). The best wisdom is that by which the mind is completely freed from desire, hope or expectations in regards to all sense-objects all the time. It is by this means that this crazy elephant or monkey of the mind can be subdued. It's difficult for one who does engage in serious and timely practice, but easy for one earnest in his effort.
So the Gurbani urges us to take up Naam-Simran (meditation) NOW. Until we turn away from sense-pleasure here and now, we will continue to roam in this world of repeated suffering and sorrows. Without persistent as well as timely practice, no one can reach the state of total dispassion (Gurmukh Lifestyle), which, in turn, helps transcend Maya (illusion or wrong perception). In other words, right exertion NOW is very essential.
- ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਫਲੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥: Gursikhee har amrit beejiaa har amrit naam fal amrith paaiaa: The GurSikh plants the seed of the Lord's Ambrosial Nectar, and obtains the Lord's Ambrosial Naam as his Ambrosial Fruit (sggs 304).
- ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ ॥: Har dhamn amrit vayelai vatai kaa beejiaa bhagat khaai kharach rahe nikhuttai naahee: The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted (sggs 734).
In this age of Kali Yuga there is a strong tendency for most of us to get steeped in worldly affairs and aspire for material gains, rather than follow the divine teachings (Gurmat) to turn towards God. To counter the distractions and temptations that characterize Kali Yuga, the Gurbani reveals that the path to liberation is Prema-Bhagti (loving devotion). Naam-Simran (Jap or meditation) is projected as a sure path to attain God's grace. This has been authenticated by the lives of the Gurus and the Bhagats (saints) who had dedicated themselves to collective singing of the Lord's Name and meditating on it.
- ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਮਨੁ ਪਤੀਆਇਆ ॥: Prem Bhagti Prabh man pateeyaayaa: God's mind is pleased with the Prema Bhagti (sggs 686).
- ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਇ ਤਰੀਐ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥: Bhagti bhaayi tareeyai sansaar: By loving devotion, one will cross over the world-ocean (sggs 290).
- ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤੀ ਨਾਮਿ ਸਮਾਇ ॥੩॥: Nanak bhagti Naam samaai ||3||: Says Nanak, become absorbed in the Name of the Lord through Bhagti ||3|| (sggs 289).
So the Gurbani tells us that "Now" is the right season and time to plant the seed of the Naam, the Lord's Name ((Naam: Aatam Giaan, Divine Knowledge...), in the field of our Heart. The Gurbani also cautions us that now is not the time to wander lost in doubt and delusion.
- ਅਬ ਕਲੂ ਆਇਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਇਕੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਬੋਵਹੁ ਬੋਵਹੁ ॥ ਅਨ ਰੂਤਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਨਾਹੀ ॥ ਮਤੁ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੂਲਹੁ ਭੂਲਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਏ ॥ ਜਿਸੁ ਮਸਤਕਿ ਹੈ ਲੇਖਾ ॥ ਮਨ ਰੁਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਰੇ ॥ ਗੁਨ ਕਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ਹਰਿ ਹਰੇ ॥੨॥੧੮॥: Ab kaloo aaio re. Ik naam bovahu bovahu. An rooti naahee naahee. Matu bharam bhoolahu bhoolahu. Gur mile har paaye. Jis masatak hai lekhaa. Mann ruti naam re. Gun kahe Nanak har hare har hare ||2||18||: Now, the Kaloo is here (has come or arisen within). Plant the Name of the One Lord (Naam: Aatam Giaan, Divine Knowledge, etc.; sow it in the Heart within). It is not the season to plant other seeds. Do not wander lost in doubt and delusion. One who has such destiny written on his forehead, will meet with the Guru and find the Lord. O mortal, this is the season of the Naam. Nanak utters the Glorious Praises of the Lord ||2||18|| (sggs 1185).
— T. Singh