RELIGIOUS FANATICISM - PART 18
Without Love, no Bhagati is possible ... (sggs 67).
ITS CURE: LOVE
As long as there is attachment to material pleasures (i.e., material love, hunger of Maya..),
there can be no (true, selfless...) Love (sggs 328).
Listen all, I tell you the Truth: One who practices Love
attains God (Guru Gobind Singh Jee).
The Gurbani (SGGS) asks us to see God in all, because the
same One Reality pervades all. Seen thusly, as universal Love, each one of us is seated
in the Heart of all beings and they in us. The practical implication is that
we must selflessly Love and do good to all beings. If we do not practice
Love, we cannot know God; for God is Love. What it means is that if we do not
Love all, we cannot Love God. Therefore, whatever little good
we do with a pure Heart and in a spirit of love to all the beings, that little
behavior and conduct will help us to gradually to attain universal Love, leading
to achieving inner peace and realizing God (Mool, Source, Light...) within our own Heart.
- ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਵਸਹਿ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਥੋਰਾ ॥: Ghat ghat vaseh jaaneh thoraa: God dwells in each and every Heart, but only a few know this (sggs 562).
- ਸਗਲੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਜਾਤਾ ਤੂ ਸੋਈ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਭਾਇ ਸੁਭਾਏ ॥: Saglee jot jaataa too soee miliaa bhaae subhaaeae: Your Light is in everyone; through it, You are known. Through Love, You are naturally met (sggs 764).
- ਸਾਚ ਕਹੋਂ ਸੁਨ ਲੇਹੁ ਸਭੈ ਜਿਨ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਕੀਓ ਤਿਨ ਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਪਾਇਓ ॥: Saach kahon sun leho sabhai jin prem keeo tin hee prabh paaio: Listen all, I tell you the Truth: One who practices love attains God (Guru Gobind Singh Jee).
- ਐਸੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕਰਹੁ ਮਨ ਮੇਰੇ ॥ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਜਾਨਹੁ ਨੇਰੇ ॥: Aisee pareet karahu man mayray. Aath pahar parabh jaanhu nayray: Enshrine such love, O my mind, that twenty-four hours a day, God will seem near to you (sggs 807).
- He that does not love has not come to know God, because God is love (Bible, 1John 4:8).
- The best type of yogi is he who feels for others, whether in grief or pleasure, even as he feels for himself (Gita 6:32).
- The lovers (of God) have all become one, kneaded together by Love ( Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi).
- Zuhiri's breast is full to the brim with the love of the beloved. No place is left in my heart for hating my rivals (Sufi Sarmad).
- Love the whole world as if it were your self; then you will truly care for all things (Tao).
Spiritual connection is possible through Love. Therefore, as God is simply Love, He would very much like us to be inspired by Love. Hence, knowing "God is Love" is not enough, we must practice this Love. Otherwise there is no meaning to it. In fact one's body without Love becomes his own enemy. To Love or serve God is to do His Hukam (Will...), live a Divine Life (the Gurmukh Lifestyle)...
The purpose of spirituality or what we call "religion" is mainly to understand Oneness of all beings and live the life of harmony. In fact if we look at the glorious lives of all Spiritual Giants, they taught us to look for opportunities for giving unconditional Love. In fact that's all they had — selfless Love! Therefore, if we truly want to honor and spread the message of all such great souls then we should not look for Love or truth, deliver It! In true religion or spirituality, therefore, there is no competition with others; only cooperation in Love!
- ਏਕ ਨੂਰ ਤੇ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਕਉਨ ਭਲੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਦੇ ॥੧॥: Ek noor te sabh jagu upjiaa kaoun bhale ko mande ||1||: From this One Light, the entire universe has welled up. So who is good, and who is bad? ||1|| (sggs 1349).
- ਨਾ ਕੋ ਬੈਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਬਿਗਾਨਾ ਸਗਲ ਸੰਗਿ ਹਮ ਕਉ ਬਨਿ ਆਈ ॥: Naa ko bairee nahee bigaanaa sagal sang ham kayu ban aaee: No one is my enemy, and no one is a stranger to me. I get along with everyone (sggs 1299).
- ਏਕੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ॥: Ek pashaanai haumai maari: Recognize One Truth by erdaicating egoism (sggs 1277).
- ਜੋ ਦੀਸੈ ਸੋ ਤੇਰਾ ਰੂਪੁ ॥: Jo deesai so taeraa roop: Whatever is seen, O God, is Your form (sggs724).
What is true Love? Love dose not mean the ordinary selfish Love of the world; for the ordinary Love is mere animal attraction. Therefore, mere physical ties cannot be called Love in the true sense of the term. Selfless Love is annihilation of the personal will or selfishness (false ego or "I-am-ness"). It is a state of Being, not a feeling. Hence, it can also be thought of as the full expression of the pure mind: soul force, a continuing flow from the source of our very Being. Love is the willingness to share our happiness with all others without any demand or requirement. In other words, it is none other than our pure Awareness in action. The expression of such pure Love speaks from a state beyond the ordinary perception of the senses; for the experience of such pure Love always carries with it the acknowledgment of Eternity. Thus, pure Love is called the sum of all spiritual laws.
- ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਪਰਵਾਹ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਪੁਬਲੀ ਨ ਹੁਟਇ ॥: Prem bhagat parvaah pareet publee na hut-ay: The flow of loving devotion and primal love does not stop (sggs 1397).
- ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰਤ ਹੋਇ ਨਿਹਕਾਮੀ ॥ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਹੋਤ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਸੁਆਮੀ ॥: Saevaa karath hoe nihakaamee. Tis ko hot paraapat suaamee: One who performs selfless service, without thought of reward, will attain God (sggs 286).
- ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਸਦਾ ਹੈ ਸਾਚੀ ॥: Gurmukh pareet sadaa hai saachee: The love of the Gurmukh, Spiritual Being, is forever true (sggs 1069).
- What is Love? Perfect thirst. So let me explain the Water of Life ( Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi).
Can this universal Love be lost? Or, have we lost it? Since Love is the state of Being, we had never lost it. It is our ignorance or selfishness, that covers up our Love and joy and makes us look for what we had never lost. The majority of us have been misguided from the very childhood; hence taken to the path of materialism — selfishness, greed, corruption and frauds of the conditioned consciousness. We have lost the true knowledge of our own true Self. Because we have taken ourselves to be the body, and we consider ourselves a limited and perishable entity which leads us to identify with the body-consciousness. This wrong self-identity with the limited becomes bondage, which makes us extremely selfish. As a result of such sense-life (Manmukh lifestyle), we are all tied down to the complex knot of being inert and conscious both at the same time. Hatred, selfishness, greed or sorrow is there because the consciousness of false ego is there. All the selfish love of the material world is nothing but hypocrisy and hollowness. Therefore, this word "Love" has different meaning to different people. For it has become like earth that patiently bears incessant molestation.
- ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਝੂਠੋ ਝੂਠੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥: Manmukh jhootho jhooth kamaavai: The Manmukh practices falsehood, only falsehood (sggs 363).
- ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਆਪਾ ਚੀਨੈ ਮਿਟੈ ਨ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕੀ ਕਾਈ ॥: Jan Nanak binu aapaa cheenai mitai na bhram kee kaaee: O Daas Nanak! Without Realizing one’s own self (Mool, Original, or True Nature, etc. - ਆਪਣਾ ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਪਰਖਣ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ, etc.), the moss of doubt (ignorance of one's True Nature, etc.) is not eradicated (from the mind) ||2||1|| (sggs 684).
- ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਭੂਲੋ ਅਵਰੈ ਹੀਤ ॥: Maya moh bhoolo avrai heet: Deluded by your emotional attachment to Maya, you love other things (sggs 673).
- ਜਾਰਉ ਐਸੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਕੁਟੰਬ ਸਨਬੰਧੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹ ਪਸਾਰੀ ॥: Jaaraou aisee pareet kutamb sanbandhee Maya moh pasaaree: Burn away any love of family and relatives, which increases your attachment to Maya (sggs 1198).
- Bewildered by false ego, strength, pride, lust and anger, the malicious men despise God, who dwells within them and within all others, and blaspheme against the Real Religion (Gita 16:18).
In material consciousness, many of us have taken Love equal to our emotional attachment or lust for worldly objects. There is a huge difference between these two which can be summarized as follows. Attachment is born of false egoism and pure Love is born of true understanding; attachment is darkness or falsehood, Love is light or Truth; attachment binds and Love liberates; attachment feeds egoism and Love dissolves it; attachment breads fear and hatred and Love promotes courage and sacrifice; attachment is possessiveness and Love is freedom or Nirvana; attachment controls other person and Love sets that person free to grow; attachment is hurt and Love is forgiveness and compassion; attachment is churning ignorance or stupidity and Love is churning learning in wisdom; attachment is ugliness and Love is Spiritual beauty; attachment is inner filth or impurity and Love is Purity; attachment is weakness and Love is Spiritual power; attachment is birth-death cycle and Love is Immortality; attachment clouds our judgment and Love helps us to be objective; in attachment we pamper the other person when his actions gratify our egoism, but in Love we are alert enough to caution the other person against unhealthy habits; in attachment there is the noise of gain and loss, and in Love there is Spiritual silence; attachment breeds personal misery and disappointment and Love knows the reality of suffering; attachment is body-consciousness ("I, me, mine, you") or selfishness and Love is Pure Awareness or Immaculate Self; attachment is desire and craving, and Love is desirelessness and detachment; attachment is sense gratification and love is Higher Taste; attachment is evil and Love is Divinity; attachment is restlessness and love is intuitively balanced mind; Attachment is differences and Love is unity; attachment is exploitation and Love is cooperation; attachment is fanaticism and bigotry and prejudices, and Love is Oneness; attachment is "taking" and Love is "giving"; and so on.
- ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਰਸੁ ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਨੇਹੁ ॥: Jab lagu rasu tab lagu nahee nehu: As long as there is attachment to material pleasures (i.e., material love, hunger of Maya..), there can be no (true, selfless...) Love (sggs 328).
- ਮੋਹ ਮਿਥਨ ਦੁਰੰਤ ਆਸਾ ਬਾਸਨਾ ਬਿਕਾਰ ॥: Moh mithan durant aasaa baasanaa bikaar: Emotional attachment is false, desire is filthy, and longing is corrupt (sggs 508).
- ਇਹੁ ਮੋਹੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੇਰੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਨ ਚਾਲੈ ਝੂਠੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ ॥: Ih moh Maya terai sang na chhallai jhoothee pareet lagaayee: This emotional attachment to Maya will not go with you; falls is to fall in love with it (sggs 78).
- ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਅਗਿਆਨੁ ਗੁਬਾਰੁ ॥: Maya mohu agiaan gubaar: Attachment to Maya (worldliness or illusion) leads to the darkness of ignorance (sggs 1262).
- By no means shall ye attain righteousness unless ye give (freely) of that which ye love; and whatever ye give, of a truth Allah knoweth it well (Quran 3:92).
- Who is free from attachment-fear-anger, is called a sage of steady mind (Gita 2:56).
- Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal (Bible Mat. 6:19).
Hence, both true Love and worldly attachment cannot coexist. Attachment is created through mundane or mayaic desires and fear. Therefore, complete eradication of selfish attachment to the worldliness is the key for awakening true Love within. Annihilation of selfishness or "I-am-ness" is called Bairaag — affectionate detachment from name, form, material ills and temptations, and attachment to the practice of universal Love. To be affectionately detached is a power as well as wisdom in itself. Such pure Love is greater than any emotional love, a Love that merges us into the river of life, so that we may know the pure Self within.
- ਬਿਨੁ ਬੈਰਾਗ ਨ ਛੂਟਸਿ ਮਾਇਆ ॥੧॥: Bin bairaag na shootas maya ||1||: Without detachment, Maya cannot be gotten rid of (cannot be liberated from Maya, etc.) ||1|| (sggs 329).
- ਪ੍ਰੇਮੁ ਨ ਚਾਖਿਆ ਮੇਰੀ ਤਿਸ ਨ ਬੁਝਾਨੀ ॥: Prem na chaakhiaa maeree tis na bujhaanee: I have not tasted Divine Love, and my thirst is not quenched (sggs 356).
- ਬਿਨੁ ਪ੍ਰੀਤੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਬਦੈ ਥਾਇ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥: Bin preetee bhagti n hovayee bin shabde thaai n paai: Without love, no Bhagati is possible; and without Shabad or Naam, no one finds acceptance (sggs 67).
- The monk who abides in universal love and is deeply devoted to the Teaching of the Buddha attains the peace of Nibbana, the bliss of the cessation of all conditioned things (Buddha, Dhampada 370).
- ove all - Serve all. Where there is Love there is Life (Mahavir, Jainism).
The true seeker of God, thus, wants Love and not the material objects. The desire for materialism indicates the presence of false ego (corrupt consciousness) in us. If there is not material desires, there is no false ego. The function of desires is to limit us and bound us. But pure Love is free from material desires. Experience of such pure Love is true liberation (Mukti). So long there is attachment to selfish desires, there cannot be perfect tranquillity, purity of mind or selfless Love. Baabaa Nanak says the body empty of Love is a total waste.
- ਅੰਦਰੁ ਖਾਲੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਬਿਨੁ ਢਹਿ ਢੇਰੀ ਤਨੁ ਛਾਰੁ ॥: Andar khaalee parem bin dhahi dheree tan chhaar: If the inner being is empty without love, the body is wasted (sggs 62).
Love conquers selfishness. In turn, such selfless Love conquers all beings. The action and reaction of our selfishness creates tension and discord in mind and body. When we practice selfless Love for all beings, there will be no one whom we cannot understand or with whom we cannot communicate through the medium of Love. Until we learn and practice selfless Love, we continue to harbor greed, malice, anger, hatred, animosity, contradictions, contention, strife, arguments, corruption, deception and differences.
- ਬਿਨੁ ਪ੍ਰੀਤੀ ਕਰਹਿ ਬਹੁ ਬਾਤਾ ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਕੂੜੋ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ ॥: Bin pareetee karahi baho baataa koorh bol koorho fal paavai: One who talks too much without love, speaks falsely, and obtains only false rewards (sggs 881).
- ਜਿਨ ਕੈ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਹਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਤੇ ਕਪਟੀ ਨਰ ਨਿਤ ਕਪਟੁ ਕਮਾਂਤਿ ॥: Jin kai pareet naahee har hirdai tay kaptee nar nit kapat kamaant: Those who do not have Divine love in their hearts are deceitful; they continually practice deception (sggs 1264).
Therefore, there can be no happiness unless we Love. However, as material beings (Manmukhs) we are so preoccupied with our own selfish desires, and we so wrapped up in our self-centeredness that we cannot give a thought to the welfare of another. The truth is that we cannot give anything that belongs to us to others because we find it very painful to give. Consequently, we not only feel sorry for ourselves, we also find other people unloving. In such a state of selfishness, one can never realize Truth.
- ਜਗਤ ਮੈ ਝੂਠੀ ਦੇਖੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥ ਅਪਨੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਖ ਸਿਉ ਸਭ ਲਾਗੇ ਕਿਆ ਦਾਰਾ ਕਿਆ ਮੀਤ ॥: Jagat mai jhoothee daykhee pareet. Apnay hee sukh siou sabh laagay kiaa daaraa kiaa meet: In this world, I have seen love to be false. Whether they are spouses or friends, all are concerned only with their own happiness (sggs 536).
- ਹੋਰੁ ਸਭ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਕਾਚਾ ॥: Hor sabh pareet Maya moh kaachaa: All other loves and emotional attachment to Maya are false (sggs 164).
True Love can be found only in selflessly giving. When we lose the idea of personal will or selfishness, we will attract a like response from others. Therefore, instead of running around trying to get Love, it is found in giving, selflessly. It is only when we lose our selfishness, we become interested in people. Then the world once again reflect back the expression of the pure mind, known as universal Love. We can visualize this pure state of universal Love as a force of light flooding out from the core of our very Being. Such pure Love melts the evil passions — lust, anger, greed, emotional attachment, false pride, envy, stubborn mindedness, fear, deceit and countless variations of these odic forces. When the consciousness is cleared of these negative forces through Shabad-Vichaar and Divine Knowledge (Aatam Giaan), we Love everyone and embrace every event, without expecting anything.
- ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੇ ਤਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਏ ਮਾਨ ॥: Aap guvaae saevaa kurae thaa kishh paaeae maan: But if he eliminates his self-conceit and then performs service, he will be honored (sggs 474).
Pure Love removes all barriers between people. Because once we have lifted our consciousness to the refined state of pure Love, we can love each other and communicate easily. Thus, Love is the source of harmony and understanding other people. It chases out nonessential or unwanted things in our lives; hence bringing us face to face with our original, unselfish, and unhampered lives. It is the absence of Love that creates vacuum of understanding, harmony and trust. For the man of Divine Knowledge or Aatam Giaan (Giyani or Giaanee, the Gurmukh), there is nothing beyond his ability to Love and understand, and make allowances accordingly.
Pure Love cannot be generated by stubbornness and compulsion. In other words, if we try to earn Love by playing the game of social attractiveness, recognition, rewards, etc., it will not bear any lasting fruits. Because once we stop conducting in such instinctive ways, we will be back to square one — moss of doubts.
- ਏਨੈ ਚਿਤਿ ਕਠੋਰਿ ਸੇਵ ਗਵਾਈਐ ॥: Eaenai chith kuthor saev guvaaeeai: Being so stone-hearted, one looses his chance to serve God (sggs 146).
Love must flow spontaneously, in Sahaj (natural state of Being, Bliss, etc.), without any emotional attachment. Love that does not flow as such is just mundane yearning and pleasure. Selfless Love is timeless, and it all comes from within. It transcends all mundane reasoning. Such Love is of the nature of direct and immediate experience of Divinity within (Mool, Source, Origin, Light...) to those who wish to pass through and beyond darkness (ignorance). To the contrary, absence of such Love is darkness.
But such true Love that has no ulterior motive is rare. We can see this all around us. The truth is that we can ruthlessly sacrifice the interests of other beings and the society for our own selfish ends. Accordingly, so long we follow the path of worldly desires and fear (attachment of the flesh, Maya...) Love remains alien to us; for we want something of the sense-world in exchange for our worldly Love. The Gurbani thunders that pure Love cannot grow out of such mundane bargaining. The reason there is so much hatred, violence, intolerance, bigotry and corruption in the world is that, in utter selfishness, the majority of us serve only our senses. We use our mind, body, and wealth for selfish and unworthy purpose. In other words, our so called Love for God or mankind is self-centered; which is an indication of our small mindedness (ego personified individuality), or our bondage to ignorance or duality.
- ਮਨਮੁਖ ਸੇਵਾ ਜੋ ਕਰੇ ਦੂਜੈ ਭਾਇ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇ ॥ ਪੁਤੁ ਕਲਤੁ ਕੁਟੰਬੁ ਹੈ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਵਧਾਇ ॥: Manmukh sevaa jo karae doojai bhaai chit laai. Putt kalat kattamb hai Maya mohu vadhaai: The Manmukh may perform service (ਸੇਵਾ), (but while doing so, he) keeps his consciousness attached to the love of duality (not One God). Through Maya, his attachment to children, spouse and relatives increases (sggs 1422).
- ਪਲਚਿ ਪਲਚਿ ਸਗਲੀ ਮੁਈ ਝੂਠੈ ਧੰਧੈ ਮੋਹੁ ॥: Palachi palachi sagalee muee jhoothai dhandhai mohu: Entangled and enmeshed in the love of false occupations, the whole world is perishing (sggs 133).
- ਦੂਜਾ ਸੇਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਸੇ ਪਚਿ ਪਚਿ ਮੁਏ ਅਜਾਣ ॥: doojaa saevan Naanakaa sae pachi pachi mueae ajaan: Those ignorant ones who serve duality, O Nanak, rot, waste away and die (sggs 315).
- So long as you have an iota of self-love left within you, no beloved would pay any attention to you. Neither would you be worthy of union or would any beloved grant you admittance. One must become totally indifferent to the self and inimical to the world in order for the beloved to show his face (Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi).
- Love is not love which alters when it alternation finds, or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! It is an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempest and is never shaken (Shakespeare).
Selfless Love, which is the essence of religion or spirituality, is taught to us by the Gurbani. It teaches closeness, one to another, because of the common bond of loving the same One Timeless Reality residing in all of us. It teaches that entire humanity is one family, the children of the same One Lord. Therefore, we cannot separate one from another. They are great souls among mankind indeed who feel such Love. But a few Love humanity in such broader sense, although we all talk of it as it is the guiding aim of our lives! As time and again indicated in the Gurbani, if one were to realize that "the Self in me is the Self in all", there would be no selfishness but only pure Love for all. In other words, the basic truth that is to be recognized is that there is only one "Self" in all. If this is understood, there will be no need for anyone to hate or abuse or criticize another. To recognize "Oneness" of all beings and seeing unity in diversity is spirituality in itself. If one has sacrificed all sense-enjoyments for the sake of the society and has diligently uncovered deep at the core of his life Love universal, then that person would be the Nanak-like, Raam-like, Christ-like, Buddha-like, Muhammad-like, and so on. This state of "Being Love" is Dharma, and it is the surest way back to our True Nature.
- ਮਾਨਸ ਕੀ ਜਾਤ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਪਹਚਾਨਬੋ ॥: Maanas kee jaat sabai ekai pahchaanabo: Recognize the entire mankind as one family (Guru Gobind Singh Jee).
- ਮਿਲਿ ਸਖੀਆ ਪੁਛਹਿ ਕਹੁ ਕੰਤ ਨੀਸਾਣੀ ॥ ਰਸਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਭਰੀ ਕਛੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੀ ॥: Mil sakheeaa pushheai kahu kant neesaanee. Ras prem bharee kashu bol na jaanee: Companions meeting ask (me) to tell them the insignia of the Husband-Lord. (Although) I am filled with the Sublime Essence and the Divine Love, (but) I do not know how to tell (His insignia) (sggs 459).
- ਆਸਾ ਬਾਣੀ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਏਕ ਅਨੇਕ ਬਿਆਪਕ ਪੂਰਕ ਜਤ ਦੇਖਉ ਤਤ ਸੋਈ ॥ ਮਾਇਆ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਿਮੋਹਿਤ ਬਿਰਲਾ ਬੂਝੈ ਕੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਗੋਬਿੰਦੁ ਹੈ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਈ ॥ ਸੂਤੁ ਏਕੁ ਮਣਿ ਸਤ ਸਹੰਸ ਜੈਸੇ ਓਤਿ ਪੋਤਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਫੇਨ ਬੁਦਬੁਦਾ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਭਿੰਨ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥ ਇਹੁ ਪਰਪੰਚੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕੀ ਲੀਲਾ ਬਿਚਰਤ ਆਨ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥੨॥ ਮਿਥਿਆ ਭਰਮੁ ਅਰੁ ਸੁਪਨ ਮਨੋਰਥ ਸਤਿ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥ ਸੁਕ੍ਰਿਤ ਮਨਸਾ ਗੁਰ ਉਪਦੇਸੀ ਜਾਗਤ ਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੩॥ ਕਹਤ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਰਚਨਾ ਦੇਖਹੁ ਰਿਦੈ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਰੰਤਰਿ ਕੇਵਲ ਏਕ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ ॥੪॥੧॥: Aasaa baanee sree Naamadeou jee kee: Ek anek biaapak poorak jatt dekho tatt soee. Maya chitr bachitr bimohit biralaa boojhai koee ||1|| Sabh Gobind hai sabh Gobind hai Gobind bin nahee koyee. Soot ek man sat sahans jaise ot pot prabh soee ||1|| Rahaaou || Jal trang ar phen budbudaa jal te bhinn na hoyee. Ih parpanch paarbrahm kee leelaa bichrat aan na hoyee ||2|| Mithiya bharam ar supan manorath sat padaarath jaaniaa. Sukirat manasaa gur oupadesee jaagat hee man maaniaa ||3|| Kahat Naamadeou har kee rachanaa dekhahu ridai beechaaree. Ghat ghat antari sarab niranti keval ek muraaree ||4||1||: Aasaa baanee sree Naamadeou jee kee: In the one and in the many, God is pervading and permeating; wherever I look, there He is. (But) a rare person understands this (ਭੇਦ), because (generally the Jeeva - the individual beings) are fascinated (deluded) by the Maya's colorful imagery. ||1|| God is All (i.e., everywhere and everything), God is All (i.e., everywhere and everything); without God, there is nothing at all. As one thread holds hundreds and thousands of beads, So is (God) woven into All (i.e., everywhere and everything). ||1||Pause|| The waves of the water, the foam and bubbles, are not distinct from the water. (Similarly) this manifested world is the Play (Leelaa) of the Supreme Being; reflecting upon it, we find that it is not different from Him. ||2|| (Watching this Leelaa) the man believes worldly objects (ਪਦਾਰਥ) to be True (permanent, etc.), but they are like objects (ਪਦਾਰਥ) seen in the dream (i.e., untrue) - "ਮਿਥਿਆ ਭਰਮੁ " (Mitthiyaa Bharam). Un to whom the Guru bestows Good Understanding (ਭਲੀ ਸਮਝ), his mind stands awakened (from delusion, untruth, "ਮਿਥਿਆ ਭਰਮੁ", etc.), and his mind accepts this (that the worldly objects are Mithiya, unreal, impermanent, etc.). ||3|| Says Naam Dev, reflect upon this in your heart that this is the Creation of the Lord. In each and every heart, and deep within the very nucleus of all, is the One God (i.e., in this entire Creation, only One Lord pervades in everyone and everywhere). ||4||1|| (sggs 485).
- And from beyond the intellect, beautiful Love comes dragging its skirts, a cup of wine in its hand. And from beyond Love, that indescribable One who can only be called That keeps coming ...I have swept the house clear of good and bad -- my house is full of love for the One ( Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi).
Therefore, universal Love alone is worth pursuing. It is the mirror of the Timeless Reality or Wholeness. The fundamental tenets in all of the genuine world religions are Love oriented, at least in theory. Apparently, they all were motivated by a Higher desire to practice selfless Love. Therefore, all true religious scriptures bring out the significance of selfless Love; which knows no barriers of language, religion, cast, color, creed, and so forth. It is this universal Love that brings harmony between souls. Therefor, how wonderful it would be if the foundation of all the organized religions becomes one of Love, Truth and Understanding. Our lives are interwoven with the thread of this pure Love. This is the reason the influence of our daily actions and behavior spreads in ever-widening circles. If we can stay put in just "Being Love", our sense of separateness or individuality will subside. And only Timeless Totality will remain over.
- ਪਰਹਰੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਕਾਚਾਰੁ ॥: Parahar lobh aru lokaachaar: Set aside your greed and worldly ways (sggs 324).
- ਸੋ ਜਨੁ ਸਾਚਾ ਜਿ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰੈ ॥: So jan saachaa ji hayumai maarai: Only those humble beings are true, who conquer their false ego (sggs 230).
- ਹਮ ਨਹੀ ਚੰਗੇ ਬੁਰਾ ਨਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾਰੇ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੧॥੨॥: Ham nahee change buraa nahee koi. Pranavat Nanak taarae soi ||4||1||2|| (sggs 728).
- Love alone is worth hunting -- but how can you catch it in your snare? Unless, perhpas, you become His prey: Leave aside your snare and enter His! (Sufi Jalaluddin Rumi).
— T. Singh